Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How Many Credit Cards Should I Own?

5,220 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WC94
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you had a cash back card you'd literally more money now than you did a year ago. That's a cold hard fact. If you took a vacation this year you'd probably have got a couple of free flights or free rooms. That's money you'd have right now that you don't have.

So yes, it cost you money not having a credit card. Unless you are irresponsible of course.
usmcbrooks
Personal preference, I would rather pay for it up front. The only recurring monthly payments I have are vehicles and house...credit wise. I just don't like credit cards.
Joe Exotic
AG
It may be a personal preference but it still costs you money each year. Maybe lots of money. I put every single bill, electric, car insurance, groceries, kids day care, you name it on a credit card. At the end of the month I pay it off and avoid interest. Then I earn miles/points just for paying bills. I just got back from Europe on a trip where I didn't pay for flights, hotels, or even my rental car. It was all paid with points or miles.
usmcbrooks
Bo Darville said:

It may be a personal preference but it still costs you money each year. Maybe lots of money. I put every single bill, electric, car insurance, groceries, kids day care, you name it on a credit card. At the end of the month I pay it off and avoid interest. Then I earn miles/points just for paying bills. I just got back from Europe on a trip where I didn't pay for flights, hotels, or even my rental car. It was all paid with points or miles.

Hey, very proud of you. I just don't like credit cards, you're not going to change my mind on this. You can have the best intentions in the world and one minor setback can screw you. What happens when you can't pay that bill, through no fault of your own?
Joe Exotic
AG
I don't live check to check so there's no way I can't pay a months worth of living expenses.
usmcbrooks
Bo Darville said:

I don't live check to check so there's no way I can't pay a months worth of living expenses.
Is that an insinuation?
Joe Exotic
AG
No, it's staring that I don't have to worry about a bill for monthly expenses 30 days out. If someone does then maybe credit cards aren't for them.
usmcbrooks
Bo Darville said:

No, it's staring that I don't have to worry about a bill for monthly expenses 30 days out. If someone does then maybe credit cards aren't for them.
Ferg
The Dog Lord said:

Ferg said:

One weekend I went to Walmart in the afternoon for a few odds and end, not food. That night my wife needed some eggs and I ran out to Sprouts. The next morning I went to HEB to get some groceries and my bank debit card was declined. 3 grocery stores in less than 24 hours set off a fraud alert. Glad i had a backup.

In addition to all of the rewards perks people have mentioned, issues with fraud are why I like credit cards as well. If someone gets ahold of my credit card info, my actual bank account isn't at risk. I just cancel it and tell the company which charges aren't mine.
Agreed, if i go into a small business and I have any concern at all about whether they can keep my data secure, I take out the credit card instead.
Buck Nasty
AG
usmcbrooks
Buck Nasty said:

????????
Old Sarge
AG
I don't see whether I can win a gift card with a reply, or not.

If you offer something like a gift card, maybe you'll get a response that will help.

Deputy Travis Junior
usmcbrooks said:

Personal preference, I would rather pay for it up front. The only recurring monthly payments I have are vehicles and house...credit wise. I just don't like credit cards.
You can literally pull up the American Express app and make a payment on the purchase you just completed 5' in front of the cashier where you made it, and if it's a cash back card, somebody else gives you money for the trouble of going through that 15 second payment process. It's that simple if you're THAT cautious.

If you don't trust yourself to be able to keep track of your finances and various expenditures, fine, but don't chalk it up to some higher nobility (well personally I don't believe in spending what I don't have). I don't spend what I don't have either, but unlike you, I'm accepting free money that for some reason you're rejecting.
Seven Costanza
AG
The only logical explanation for the anti-credit card people is that it's like severe alcoholism, where one drink can send them back into a hole. Maybe they think if they are given the available credit line, that they will immediately go out and run up debt like a maniac.

I've also heard some say that it feels different to them to hand over cash vs. swiping the card. This doesn't make any sense to me, but you do hear it from time to time.
monarch
S
OP:

The real question is, "How many credit cards do you want to own YOU?"
BleacherRat
Quote:

Thanks old man...
Wow Mabel, predjudiced much?
Gig 'em!
rab79
AG
usmcbrooks said:

Bo Darville said:

usmcbrooks said:

Zero. If you don't have the money to buy it, you don't need it.

Stupid advice and can cost responsible people thousands of dollars a year.
Doesn't cost me thousands of dollars a year. Money talks, bull**** walks.
Well when they pay you to make purchases you are going to make anyway..... It is kind of like not picking up that $20 off the sidewalk
WC94
AG
Quote:

I've also heard some say that it feels different to them to hand over cash vs. swiping the card. This doesn't make any sense to me, but you do hear it from time to time.
It's like Vegas giving you chips, doesn't feel like real money being spent I'm guessing.

WC94
AG
Quote:

What card do you use? A United specific one?

United is a good one for beginners, since it doesn't carry a large annual fee and you get 2 free club passes. You can also cancel and reapply 2 years later and get the sign up bonus again, unlike Delta American Express.

My go to is Chase Ultimate Reserve. $450 annual fee, but you get $300 back per calendar year on travel expenses, 4 points per mile on dinning, Priority lounge passes, and the points instantly transfer to airline and hotel partners with no charge.
If you don't want to pay the high annual, get the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
permabull
AG
Sex Panther
AG
WC94 said:

Quote:

What card do you use? A United specific one?

United is a good one for beginners, since it doesn't carry a large annual fee and you get 2 free club passes. You can also cancel and reapply 2 years later and get the sign up bonus again, unlike Delta American Express.

My go to is Chase Ultimate Reserve. $450 annual fee, but you get $300 back per calendar year on travel expenses, 4 points per mile on dinning, Priority lounge passes, and the points instantly transfer to airline and hotel partners with no charge.
If you don't want to pay the high annual, get the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Nice, I just got the Reserve. Pretty excited about it. The perks are incredible.
WC94
AG
You won't be disappointed, make sure to register your Priority Pass card and carry with you when you travel. Even if there is no lounge they sometimes have Restaurants that give you a $27 credit toward food and booze (Landry's in IAH). I also register all my cards with United Dining or American Dining for extra mile bonuses.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.