Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How Many Credit Cards Should I Own?

5,218 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WC94
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG

The importance of maintaining a good credit score is old news. As you likely know, the higher your score, the more attractive you will be to potential lenders, making larger loans and the best interest rates more accessible.

Hopefully, you're working hard at keeping that score high by using your cards and paying your bills on time. You may be wondering, though, if more is better. Should you open a few more and get more available credit? Or, are too many cards a liability to your score? Read on for the answers to all your questions.

How your credit score works
Before we answer the number of cards question, let's explore the way FICO and other credit scoring agencies, like VantageScore, calculate that all-important credit score.

Here are the major components of your credit score:
Your payment history. The timeliness or lack thereof of your payments comprises 65% of your FICO score, making it the most important factor. VantageScore, another major credit scoring company, doesn't share the percentages it uses, but it calls payment history "extremely influential" in determining your score.
Your credit utilization. Credit scoring companies look at how much of your available credit you are using. A large amount of available credit even in aggregate across multiple cards is not always a good thing.
The age of your credit. Next up on the list of influential factors is how long you've had your credit cards open. Lenders want to see a long and active history of credit cards and on-time payments.
The kind of credit you have. A variety of credit indicates that you are an attractive borrower.

The benefits of having multiple cards
Having one open credit card is not sufficient for achieving a high credit score. In order to give you the best shot at excellent credit, make sure you have several open cards. In the long run, having multiple cards can boost your score in two important areas:
*Your payment history. When you pay several credit card bills on time instead of just one, this component of your score will go up.
*Credit utilization rate. FICO likes to see a low credit utilization rate. This means that the more unused credit you have, the higher you will score in this area. Having multiple cards open will automatically increase your available credit. You'll also be able to spread your credit use across several cards, further lowering your credit utilization rate.

The right number of credit cards
Are you waiting to hear that magic number telling you exactly how many cards you should have in for achieving and maintaining a high score? Well, unfortunately, there is no such "magic" number.

As mentioned, you do need to have several credit cards to increase your credit age and available credit, but there is no specific amount you should have. Instead, let's take a look at the credit cards of consumers who have excellent scores.

The FICO high-achiever statistics track people with FICO scores that top 785. These statistics find that the average FICO high-achiever has 7 open credit cards. Of these cards, only four have outstanding balances. The average credit account is 11 years old and the most recently opened account is 28 months old.

So, while you may be quick to observe that several cards may be a good thing, consider the age of the cards in the wallets of high achievers. Perhaps lots of NEW cards won't help you achieve excellent credit. Rather, a proven track record of on-time payments and responsible use of credit is the vital factor here.

When not to open new cards
If you're planning on taking out a large loan, like a mortgage or an auto loan, within the next year, it's not a good idea to start applying for new cards. Here's why:
*Hard checks on your credit. Every new credit card you apply for means another time your credit history gets pulled. Lots of "hard checks" can negatively affect your score just what you don't need before applying for a large loan. It may hurt your chances of approval and/or increase your approved rate.
*Your credit age will decrease. The age of your credit is determined by taking an average age of all your cards. By opening lots of new cards, you're bringing that average down and hurting your score.
*Your credit variety will be lessened. Similarly, opening more unsecured cards with revolving credit will lower your credit variety, because you will suddenly have a much heavier amount of unsecured credit lines and less of other types of borrowings.

Too much open credit.
While once considered a positive attribute across all credit scoring companies, the recent modifications to the VantageScore have changed all that. Lots of open credit will now negatively affect your VantageScore. This score is used for auto loans and other large loans; though most mortgage lenders currently only consider your FICO score.

Here's the final word on having lots of open credit cards: If you're just starting to build your credit and don't plan on taking out a huge loan soon, it's a good idea to open a few cards. Pay them on time and try not to go above 30% of your available limit on any of them. But, if you plan on applying for a large loan in the near future, give that card acquisition a rest and focus on using the cards you have responsibly.

Whichever category you fall into, remember to use your cards and pay those bills on time! The easiest way to do this is to make it automatic. Set up each of your credit cards to pay for a monthly bill. Then, set up your credit card bills to be paid automatically as well.

Keeping your credit score strong can have positive effects on your finances for years to come!

Your Turn: How many credit cards do you own? Do you think this number is too few or too many? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
Tmoneyag99
AG
This is not going to go well
Raptor
AG
None. Pay in cash.

If you gotta use credit, then you shouldn't get it!
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

borski99
AG
As a business owner, credit can be your friend. An an employee, it can be your worst nightmare.
exp
AG
Raptor said:

None. Pay in cash.

Obvious troll is obvious
CDub06
AG
Collect those cards and accrue those points. Make your payments and never carry a balance. Free Vacations + Good Credit. It's an easy equation.
Post removed:
by user
WC94
AG
I can't remember the last time I flew coach internationally. 80,000 miles and $300 got me from London to Bangkok on Etihad first class on the A380. I had my own suite, on board bar, and was able to take a shower before the turn down service. Chase Sapphire Reserve seems to be the most flexible card if you want to rack up miles.
Cancelled
AG
None. I borrow my money from a loan shark.
Spyderman
AG
No more than one. Get one that "pays" a dividend and have your monthly bill auto-drafted from your savings account. Works great.
ChiefKiefton
Where is a Dave Ramsey meme when I need it.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Credit cards were created by liberals so they could rally votes

Idiots w credit card debt = liberal votes
BrotherChad
AG
Give me a zero interest rate forever and no late fees and I'll open three right now
The correct answer to the OP is Two.

1. Visa/MC used as a debit card only. So, no credit, just money out of your bank.
2. Amex

We should only be consuming what we can afford.
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Having one open credit card is not sufficient for achieving a high credit score.
No that's not true.
Joe Exotic
AG
33 said:

The correct answer to the OP is Two.

1. Visa/MC used as a debit card only. So, no credit, just money out of your bank.
2. Amex

We should only be consuming what we can afford.

You lose a lot of points this way.
Mort Rainey
Raptor said:

None. Pay in cash.

Thanks old man...

No idea why this line of thinking exists. There can be a happy, responsible medium between not using credit and screwing up your life with reckless credit spending
WC94
AG
You should never use a credit card as a loan. Most cards are 18-26% annually. Sign up bonuses typically range from 40-100K and waive the first year fee. You usually have to spend 3-5K in the first 3 months. I recently flew business class to Dublin oneway for 57K miles on United Polaris. That is a $4000 ticket for free.
chigger
AG
I have not carried a credit card in 15 years. My wife has one. Never had issues with credit, or buying cars or a house. I use a debit card for an account that never has more than about $500 in it.

Just because they CAN be used responsibly, doesn't mean they will. Takes the right kind of mindset.
chigger
AG
Mabel Choate said:

There can be a happy, responsible medium between not using credit and screwing up your life with reckless credit spending

There can be. Doesn't mean everyone will. If it works for you, great, but better to know yourself and be responsible by NOT carrying cards than carrying debt. I think it's a great mindset actually.
Uncle Jimbo
Turns out there are topics that this board understands even worse than football.
Jock 07
AG
3 centurion accounts seems sufficient for me
TyHolden
AG
Tinnnnn! Fing tinnnnn! [\billy bob]
Joe Exotic
AG
chigger said:

I have not carried a credit card in 15 years. My wife has one. Never had issues with credit, or buying cars or a house. I use a debit card for an account that never has more than about $500 in it.

Just because they CAN be used responsibly, doesn't mean they will. Takes the right kind of mindset.

So you're saying you have the wrong mindset? Because if not you're literally throwing money away.
chigger
AG
In a sense, yes, I am saying that. Just to be clear, I'm not specifically referencing myself in all this. What I do works for me. I have no debt and I'm perfectly happy. If you are referring to points or things like that, I don't care about any of that. Risk vs reward. For us it's not worth it.
Joe Exotic
AG
At least you're honest about being poorly disciplined when it comes to finances. Most people aren't and they get into trouble.
bowhuntr
None...gotta keep down the line in the centurion lounge...
5C
AG
If you don't use credit cards you're an idiot.
Deputy Travis Junior
I don't understand the people who are anti credit card. If you're disciplined enough to get by without credit cards, then you absolutely should have one because you'll never carry a balance and everything will be 1-5% cheaper and random things like airline miles will pile up.
Sex Panther
AG
WC94 said:

You should never use a credit card as a loan. Most cards are 18-26% annually. Sign up bonuses typically range from 40-100K and waive the first year fee. You usually have to spend 3-5K in the first 3 months. I recently flew business class to Dublin oneway for 57K miles on United Polaris. That is a $4000 ticket for free.

What card do you use? A United specific one?
Ferg
One weekend I went to Walmart in the afternoon for a few odds and end, not food. That night my wife needed some eggs and I ran out to Sprouts. The next morning I went to HEB to get some groceries and my bank debit card was declined. 3 grocery stores in less than 24 hours set off a fraud alert. Glad i had a backup.

The Dog Lord
AG
Ferg said:

One weekend I went to Walmart in the afternoon for a few odds and end, not food. That night my wife needed some eggs and I ran out to Sprouts. The next morning I went to HEB to get some groceries and my bank debit card was declined. 3 grocery stores in less than 24 hours set off a fraud alert. Glad i had a backup.

In addition to all of the rewards perks people have mentioned, issues with fraud are why I like credit cards as well. If someone gets ahold of my credit card info, my actual bank account isn't at risk. I just cancel it and tell the company which charges aren't mine.
usmcbrooks
Zero. If you don't have the money to buy it, you don't need it.
Joe Exotic
AG
usmcbrooks said:

Stupid advice and can cost responsible people thousands of dollars a year.
usmcbrooks
Bo Darville said:

usmcbrooks said:

Stupid advice and can cost responsible people thousands of dollars a year.
Doesn't cost me thousands of dollars a year. Money talks, bull**** walks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.