Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Clemson's take on Jimbo

11,822 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
dixichkn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Allow me to take a comment from another thread and run with it

Quote:

I was at the game and spent all day on campus. The three most unsolicited comments I heard during and after the game were:

1) You guys have an amazing punter
2) Your defense gave us a game until they got tired
3) This would have been a whole different game if your QB was more accurate

To that list I would add a 4th. And I heard this at least 3 times from Clemson fans throughout the day.

"Y'all need to get rid of Jimbo. He's gonna kill you. Look what he did to Florida State." Yada yada yada. I argued with them to a point but they really didn't want to hear it.

Man, whoever wrote that hatchet piece on Coach, and especially that Clemson radio host that got into the little tit-for-tat with Olin Buchanan, has got them eating that BS hook line and sinker. Then again, they've dealt with Jimbo a lot longer than we have. I don't see it. But maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid?

I think we absolutely got the right guy. Anyone disagree?
infinity ag
The key to success is to have a
1. A good coach
2. A good QB
3. Support crew

We got 1 but not 2.
2 is coming but in a couple of years. We are also recruiting well on 3. So I think we will see some success only in 2 years.
EKG1996
AG
Do you not realize that Clemson fans absolutely HATE Jimbo Fisher from his Florida State days.

95_Aggie
AG
Time will tell. Kind of hard to judge after 1 season + 2 games.

Our experience with Fran has poisoned the koolaid for me forever.
SpeedyAg93
AG
Their hatred goes way back, and stems from his association with Florida State. I grew up a Clemson fan. Both my parents went there. FS used to own Clemson every year. It was a huge rivalry. I remember my grandfather screaming obscenities at the TV towards Bobby Bowden. The only time I ever heard him swear was during this game. He HATED him. It was even a bigger rivalry than with SC. Here's a little history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson%E2%80%93Florida_State_football_rivalry
Callate Donnie
Yes, look what he did to FSU:

Florida State
10-4

Florida State
9-4

Florida State
12-2

Florida State
14-0

Florida State
13-1

Florida State
10-3

Florida State
10-3

Florida State
5-6

One bad year. His worst year before that was 9 wins. We've had 4 9+ win seasons since the turn of the millennium. People are dumb. FSU has Fran 2.0.
Redstone
AG
To me, the biggest missing ingredient is Swag.

I have plenty of ideas to get that Swag, but want to give the team some time to recapture.

Overall, however...

We should be optimistic about next year - or, certainly, the year after that.
Bottlehead90
AG
Jimbo ain't bad.
We should know because we have had bad.
dixichkn
AG
EKG1996 said:

Do you not realize that Clemson fans absolutely HATE Jimbo Fisher from his Florida State days.

Oh believe me I get that. And that was part of my two-part argument against them.

1) you sure you're not just saying that because he's former FSU?
2) have you SEEN Kevin Sumlin coach?
beerad12man
AG
I can't believe there are some that believe the stupid narrative that Jimbo wrecked FSU. Had he not lost his 1st and 2nd string QB in 2017, he'd have never gone worse than 9-4 there. I have no doubts with Francois in 2018, had he stayed, he'd have gone 10-3 or better. This year, there's no way he'd be 1-1 with a near loss to monroe.

Taggart is a fraud and any deflecting of blame that Jimbo didn't leave enough talent to beat Boise State or handily beat Monroe in year 2 is ridiculous.
Post removed:
by user
infinity ag
Redstone said:

To me, the biggest missing ingredient is Swag.

I have plenty of ideas to get that Swag, but want to give the team some time to recapture.

Overall, however...

We should be optimistic about next year - or, certainly, the year after that.

Let's get Summy back. Dude got Swag
ClemsonTig
Jimbo recruited great talent at FSU but he also ignored a lot of red flags around the kids he brought in. Eventually it became a disaster as the bad attitudes and character issues of the players have overtaken that program. In his last year at FSU, the team pretty much quit on him. Look at the Boston College-FSU game, a 35-3 loss. It wasn't the only time that year either.

Ex-FSU players have had a starring role for several years on Last Chance U.

Taggart should have run a bunch guys off when he took over FSU. Instead he tried to rehabilitate. It's been a disaster. FSU will require a complete tear down and rebuild now. Taggart came into a bad situation left by Jimbo and is in way over his head. He has no idea what to do with the **** show he inherited. He will be canned.

Maybe Jimbo will learn from the mistakes made at FSU. You have to have talent but you also need character as well. We'll see.
ebag02
AG
Why would Clemson fans hate Jimbo? Dabo has beaten Jimbo 5 straight.
aaaggie
AG
beerad12man said:

I can't believe there are some that believe the stupid narrative that Jimbo wrecked FSU

Besides losing his starting QB the first game of the season there were rumors here that he was approached for the A&M coaching job right after the UCLA debacle. He may have just checked out and coasted his last year at FSU.
Bill Superman
AG
What does Clemson fan's take on anything matter?

They're brand new to the sport
beerad12man
AG
I don't know if I necessarily buy that, but not saying it's impossible.

And they had 3 OL starters out, too. 3rd string QB to begin the year with 3 back ups in on the Ol is tough for any program not named bama to overcome.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

They're brand new to the sport
and still have more national championships than we do
JJxvi
AG
ebag02 said:

Why would Clemson fans hate Jimbo? Dabo has beaten Jimbo 5 straight.
The programs are rivals, and as much as Clemson has had the upper hand recently, they initially went like 1-5 or 1-6 against Fisher with many of those games being games where Clemson was really highly ranked.
beerad12man
AG
ClemsonTig said:

Jimbo recruited great talent at FSU but he also ignored a lot of red flags around the kids he brought in. Eventually it became a disaster as the bad attitudes and character issues of the players have overtaken that program. In his last year at FSU, the team pretty much quit on him. Look at the Boston College-FSU game, a 35-3 loss. It wasn't the only time that year either.

Taggart should have run a bunch guys off when he took over FSU. Instead he tried to rehabilitate. It's been a disaster. FSU will require a complete tear down and rebuild now. Taggart came into a bad situation left by Jimbo and is in way over his head. He has no idea what to do with the **** show he inherited. He will be canned.

Maybe Jimbo will learn from the mistakes made at FSU. You have to have talent but you also need character as well. We'll see.
I don't disagree that obviously something went very wrong against Boston College to lose 35-3 and that maybe Jimbo recruited a few bad apples at FSU, but they also rebounded by winning their last 4(yes I know Jimbo wasn't there the last two, but I don't see how he wouldn't have beat monroe and won the bowl game). So it isn't like he lost the team the whole season. He was down 17-14 at Clemson in the 3rd two weeks later. So again, I don't think they quit on him for the remainder of the year. If they had, you'd have seen 59-0 at Clemson. That's what true quitting looks like.

Outside of BC, they lost to bama like any team would have, 6, 4, 3, and again, were down 3 to clemson before turning the ball over too much late. That doesn't sound like a team that quit. That sounds like a team that was their starting QB away from pulling out a few of those close call games and going 10-3.

We're talking about a team down to what was supposed to be their 3rd string true fish QB. That's far more the issue than just assuming he recruited a bunch of thugs and left the program in dire straights.

I just don't agree on how bad the situation is. In fact, I don't think it was bad at all and you are letting the narrative sink in on you. Taggart is a fraud. Just like Sherman and Fran made their teams they took over look worse than they were. There might have been some issues, but not 5-7 and 1-1 nearly losing to Monroe issues. I don't believe that.

dlsarmi2
AG
ACC is no SEC/ SEC West but Fisher & FSU dominated ACC during his time. Clemson HATES Jimbo. Hope he can bring some of those FSU seasons to A&M (praying we can find a QB w/ skills like Winston w/o the off field probs).
FriscoKid
AG
They wouldn't admit that he was a good coach. Who are you kidding?

That would be like us admitting that Herman was better than Charlie.
Wicked Good Ag
While we do have an amazing punter what about Mann's performance would be a huge thing for Clemson fans to notice
Secolobo
AG
Who is one of Clemson's biggest recruiting threats?

Fake news...
Can I go to sleep Looch?
dixichkn
AG
ClemsonTig said:

And there you go. The weekend in synopsis.

Look, if that's the path we start to go down then I think he'll be held more accountable here. No one here has any interest in becoming a freaking zoo a la OU during the Switzer years. We had enough money to bring him in here. We'll have enough to buy him out. But there hasn't been any hint of anything going amok. Not seeing a Jameis on this roster. If there is, then he'll be out on his ear once it comes to light. We don't play that crap here. Isaiah Golden and Darian Claiborne were by FAR the two best players on our defense in 2014 at a time we really didn't HAVE any defense. They effed up.......they were gone. With everyone's blessing. Ain't like it used to be......

Are you seriously putting the crap show that is Willie Taggart at the feet of Jimbo? Y'all can't be serious.
AggieIce
AG
He won a natty in spite of turnover prone crab legs
JJxvi
AG
Willie Taggart = Billy Kennedy

He might build a decent program after several years at lower levels, and maybe even at a high level he might one day end up with a decent team, I dont know. But he's not a winning coach. Taggart doesnt even have a winning record after 10 years of being a head coach.
dlsarmi2
AG
ACC is no SEC/ SEC West but Fisher & FSU dominated ACC during his time. Clemson HATES Jimbo. Hope he can bring some of those FSU seasons to A&M (praying we can find a QB w/ skills like Winston w/o the off field probs).
Bob Harris
That's like us warning North Carolina to get rid of Mack because of the way he left Texas. Never mind the national championship and a decade of being at or near the top of the mountain...

Stupid in both cases.
Win At Life
AG
You obviously haven't seen A&M coaching before Jimbo
Seven Costanza
AG
Even if we did want to "get rid of him", we would owe him like $60MM.
fat girlfriend
The whole, "Jimbo destroyed FSU" narrative is insanely idiotic. It's honestly too dumb for words.
ghowe
AG
If he was/is as bad as all that, why would they care? The record pretty well speaks for itself. The strong negative sentiment tells you all you need to know.
rootube
AG
There is no defending Jamis Winston but you may want to climb down from the high horse for when Clemson is staring down the gun at a scandal and see how Dabo does when principals conflict with winning. Lots of the best have fallen short there.
HoustonAg2106
AG
fat girlfriend said:

The whole, "Jimbo destroyed FSU" narrative is insanely idiotic. It's honestly too dumb for words.

Idiotic or not, it's something that is out there and talked about outside of A&M
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.