Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

August 28, 2019

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Recruiting momentum is coming. Once you start playing games and getting yourself back on TV, it will pick it up. Commitments are coming, maybe mid-September, probably two commitments. The Alabama weekend is going to be huge for A&M. It’s hard to project the number of commits that are coming. There’s a lot of guys that are intent on playing for Texas A&M, and they just haven’t announced yet. The term ‘silent commit’ doesn’t mean much until it becomes public.

• If you get Omari Thomas‍ and Donell Harris‍, then it’s a push with Texas getting Princely Umanmielen‍ and Vernon Broughton‍. If you get Antonio Johnson‍, then it’s a push with Texas landing Xavion Alford‍. If they close on these out-of-state guys, then it’s essentially a push with in-state guys. 

• You always want to take the Texas kids. I broke the depth chart down, and 47 players from Texas were in the two-deep. You got guys from Washington DC, California, and Florida. If all things are even, you want the Texas kids. During Jimbo Fisher’s first class, they didn’t take any in-state linebackers even though they needed one because they didn’t think they could help them win.

• Broughton was a Texas lean for 90% of his recruitment. A&M had some momentum, but it flipped back when he made his decision. Umanmielen was even between A&M and Texas, but I think he jumped on Texas because of their momentum. Those sting, but if you land Johnson, Thomas, and Harris, then you feel like you came out on even footing.

• If you watch Antonio Johnson’s highlights, his first couple plays are him making plays on offense or in the return game. He’s between Alabama and A&M. He’s a game-changing type talent on the backend. Look at Leon O’Neal, Demani Richardson, and Brian Williams. These guys change games in the SEC. This is a kid that could be a four-star receiver. He’s been on top of the A&M big board for the entire cycle. I would suspect his recruitment will be done pretty soon. If it takes three or four more weeks, I would be surprised.

• Dylan Moses is one of the best looking prospects I’ve ever seen. The injury hurts, but Alabama will replace him with another five-star. Christian Harris will help fill that void. He would’ve started right away at A&M. He’ll come in with Alabama in 2021 and probably be an All-SEC type guy.

• I’ve been in my vehicle for over a year and already have 30,000 miles on it to see players. It’s a lot of miles, but it’s hard to put an exact number on it. 

• I think they’re still working on Umanmielen, and maybe Alford, but Umanmielen is the one the A&M staff communicates with the most.

• I could probably find one or two guys a month that are completely off the radar that are legitimately college players.

• Demond Demas‍ announced he’d be playing in the scrimmage as his last high school game. The energy for a scrimmage was wild. It was fun to see him compete. Tomball did a good job of playing him, but also letting some other guys get reps. The coach from Tomball allowed him to speak to the team after the game, and he got emotional and gave a really impressive speech about how he was not leaving and would continue to support his teammates. He had the worst week you can have. The decision was disappointing, and he was attacked by a former coach of his who took away his senior season.

• Devin Price‍ was excellent in‍ the scrimmage. He had about ten catches and three touchdowns. The reason people aren’t excited about Devin is because his dad is on the A&M coaching staff. Watch him play, and you’ll get excited. He’s fast and physical and makes plays on contested balls. If his name was something different and he went somewhere else, his entire recruitment would be different.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO...
CapRock Health System, the only 100% locally owned and operated healthcare system in B/CS, has three convenient locations; CapRock 24-Hour ER, CapRock Hospital with ER, and CapRock Urgent Care at Century Square. CapRock's second urgent care will soon open at Jones Crossing. Visit CapRockHealthSystem.com

Discussion from...

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

7,273 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexanJeff
aggieclay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I assume Alfred Collins is going to tu, since his mother played there? I'd take him over prince u. if we end up with Harris, Thomas and Johnson, I think we came out even if not better!
Jbob88
Devin Price really does have excellent film. I was surprised.
Matsui
Bachelor99
AG
do we really have a chance with Thomas?? he seems more of a pipe dream. we really need to close with Morris and Hayes on the O-line.
TexanJeff
AG
I'm excited for Devin Price

I'm excited for anyone who wants to put on the Maroon and White and play Texas Aggie Football!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.