Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Demas Ruled Ineligible for Senior Year

29,276 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ashley
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Racist!

Quote:

Before sharing the decision, chairman Mike Motheral complimented Demas, saying, "You are a very intelligent man and very articulate. You have a future in other areas. I wish you nothing but the best,"
hunter2012
AG
Jimbo should email him the playbook and a workout schedule so he can come in with a leg up on the 2020 class. Hopefully he'll still come in and play angry.
cecil77
AG
Fifty years ago, if a HS kid went to a new school he had to sit out of Varsity for a year. Up through the 50's, oil companies would "transfer" the dad to a different town for the kid to play football, and that's how the UIL handled it back then.
Deputy Travis Junior
High school football won't rule sans Demas.
Old McDonald
Emilio Fantastico said:

Sip conspiracy?
this is just step one. next we'll convince the recruiting services to decrease his rating because he has no senior film, and the amount will be just enough to keep texas ahead of a&m in the overall rankings.
username checks out
Windy City Ag
AG
The UIL has been pretty lawsuit proof on this issue over the years and I do fear a future where teams are recruiting actively (even moreso than today.) Even with that, it seems a bit painful that the old coach has a say in the matter. Too much partisanship there.

Good read on the subject.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/on-the-move/part4.html

Quote:

With pressure on coaches to be successful to keep their jobs, those who have much to lose are given a lot of power in determining if transfers will be eligible. That is seen as one of the flaws. When Maddie had her appeal denied by the state executive committee on March 19, 2014, Guyer football coach/athletic director John Walsh told the Denton Record-Chronicle, "An injustice has been done to a Denton ISD student. I got in the school business to be an advocate for kids. I have never and nor will I ever sign a piece of paper that would put a 15-year-old in this situation."

Many believe it is hard to get a fair ruling at a DEC hearing. Nearly half of the 44 area public-school coaches who responded to a SportsDay survey think there is collusion between parties involved in those meetings.
Once a player is ruled ineligible by a DEC, it has been difficult to get that overturned by the state executive committee, a neutral panel of superintendents, athletic directors and others from around the state. Over the last two school years, 81 students who were declared by a DEC to have transferred for athletic purposes appealed that decision, and 53, or 65 percent, had their appeal denied. Five years ago, for the 2009-10 school year, 37 of the 43 appeals (86 percent) were denied.
Can anything be done after that?

"As far as the UIL is concerned, the state executive committee is the last step in our appeals process. Lawsuits have been filed in the past to overturn eligibility decisions," UIL media coordinator Kate Hector said in an email.
rbcs_2
AG
tshirtmoron said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Sip conspiracy?
this is just step one. next we'll convince the recruiting services to decrease his rating because he has no senior film, and the amount will be just enough to keep texas ahead of a&m in the overall rankings.
FriscoKid
AG
AG
He stands less of a chance being injured playing football for Tomball than he does getting shot or stabbed staying at North Forest.
levypantsEOY
The posters claiming this is a good thing...

Zoo gonna zoo, I guess.
greg.w.h
AG
swc93 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Kyler Murray moving from Lewisville to Allen back in the day probably had absolutely nothing to do with football, I'm sure.
Allen >>>> Lewisville

Farmers Fight.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Motheral is from Tech
bdgol07
AG
Any chance he could graduate early and get to campus in the Spring?
HoustonAg2106
AG
bdgol07 said:

Any chance he could graduate early and get to campus in the Spring?

Probably not since he's been in HISD the last three years...
Post removed:
by user
HighwaySix
AG
He could enroll at Concordia in Tomball as I am sure the would love to have him for his senior season.
TMartin
The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1910 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. The UIL continues to operate as part of the University of Texas, under the auspices of the Vice President for Diversity & Community Engagement.
CrottyKid
AG
Get a GED tomorrow; enroll at TAMU this week. Hahaha
agnerd
AG
Since he doesn't have to worry about his high school eligibility, is there anything stopping him from making very frequent "unofficial" visits up to College Station during the semester than just happen to be during the times practices are occurring?
elfurioso92
Gator92
AG
With the TEA threatening to dissolve HISD Board, kid is smart to get out. One could easily make the argument for academics. Tomball 51.4% College Ready. North Forest 7.1%. Elephant in the room is HISD. Maybe UIL is giving HISD cover?
BQAG02
AG
Damn - sometimes I forget how scary Willem Defoe looks.
JoeAggie5
Tomball ISD has open enrollment. How many around Houston do, I don't know. Some have open enrollment within their districts, but I think very few have open enrollment outside of districts.

But if a kid is at HISD, for whatever reason wanted to get out I assume Tomball is one of the few that have open enrollment, meaning you don't even have to live in the district to go there.

WHOOP!'91
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

JJxvi
AG
Always thought this garbage was dumb. If the kid can be enrolled in the school let them play with their classmates.

Sure, if you can prove that the kid shouldn't be going to that high school at all, or like boosters are paying for apartments or some other nonsense, go for some sort of sanction, but trying to be the transfer police is a fool's errand.
Too bad for this kid. I don't know any details of the story but I wonder if we'll see kids in the future voluntarily sit out a senior year and train for college if they have an offer in hand.
rootube
AG
This horn conspiracy stuff is getting out of hand people.
Athanasius
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

aggie appraiser
How long to UIL officials have to sit out when they change jobs?
Not a Bot
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

RG20 said:

Don't know the extent of his situation but UIL and Texas high school sports have a major transfer issue and High School coaches are fed up, understandably.

They seem fine with Duncanville stacking an all-star team together!

DVille and Allen are actually reasons a lot of schools are starting to clamp down on athletic transfers. I think in a different year he would be eligible to play. But a huge stink has been raised by a lot of high school coaches about what's going on with some of these so-called "power" teams and those battle cries have gotten really loud over the last year.

It creates a huge competitive disadvantage when you develop all your own kids and you're playing against a super team created in large part by transfers and under the table recruiting.

That is not what happened here, but they are absolutely using him as an example.
Not a Bot
AG
And keep in mind these transfer decisions are actually made at the district level.

When an athlete transfers, no matter how good they are, they have to submit a transfer form to their new district. Their previous coach has an opportunity to fill out a section of the form stating whether or not the kid was felt to be transferring for athletic purposes. 95% of the time the previous coach signs off on the transfer and lets the kid go.

The new district takes that form and votes on whether to allow the kid to play or whether he has to sit out a year. If they believe he transferred for athletic purposes they would have to vote to not allow him to play, but in reality the vast majority of guys get rubber stamped into the new district even if it was believed they were transferring for athletic purposes. There are certain metroplex districts that rarely reject transfers, even transfers that are obviously transferring for athletic purposes.

In this case, the previous coach did not sign off on the transfer and the new district had a lot of coaches who did not want their teams to have to play against him. So they voted not to allow him to play. There are many districts which would have rubber stamped his approval to play, although some may have voted to hold him out for part of the season. It was basically a perfect storm working against him here.

He appealed to the UIL committee and lost. So he has to sit out or play for the previous coach who seemed hell bent on screwing him.
JJxvi
AG
The idea of players transferring creating a "huge competitive disadvantage" is ludicrous. The kids attending the high school should play for the high school. The end.

High school sports is a conglomeration of a about a million ****ing competitive advantages and disadvantages, most much bigger than a few players changing schools, and even then, a decision goes against Tomball of all schools? What a joke.
Not a Bot
AG
The competitive advantage of accepting tons of transfers is proven by the success of Allen over the last decade and Duncanville last year. Transfers are the reason Allen is not just another Plano. And it isn't just the fact that kids are wanting to transfer there for the academics, a lot of them also happen to be some of the best players in the metroplex.

I'm not sure about North Shore. I know Longview won the state title last year without a transfer really contributing and they were very proud of that fact. There's no way they would have been able to compete in D1 though.
DowntownDallas99

Allen Academy?
JJxvi
AG
Cactus Jack said:

The competitive advantage of accepting tons of transfers is proven by the success of Allen over the last decade and Duncanville last year. Transfers are the reason Allen is not just another Plano. And it isn't just the fact that kids are wanting to transfer there for the academics, a lot of them also happen to be some of the best players in the metroplex.

I'm not sure about North Shore. I know Longview won the state title last year without a transfer really contributing and they were very proud of that fact. There's no way they would have been able to compete in D1 though.
So what? Did kids attend Allen, and then play for Allen? And so some other kid attending another high school, lost I guess? Who gives a ***** Theres like thousands of high schools in this state and most of them suck, compared to these schools, transfers or no transfers, just the way it is.

This is also apparently a classic case, of "Oh look, but Allen!" and then like the rules mysteriously do nothing to stop Allen but create a bull**** hardship for a hundred other random kids trying to move schools.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.