Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

4 of 17 L$U's current commits, from Lousiana

16,668 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you look at our offer list for 2020 and beyond it shows more out of state than I can ever remember.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
WC94 said:

Sorry for the slower kids, let me explain further: L$U went from 55% (2018) to 40% (2019) to 29% (currently) Lousiana natives. Interesting how their national pull has increased $ignificantly.
Actually, let me explain it for you. Most schools are headed the out of state route. LSU isn't that different.

Bama has 11/20 recruits from out of state
Clemson has 16/17
LSU has 13/17
Georgia has 8/13
Ohio State has 7/11
Oklahoma per usual has 11/11 out of state players

$ingling out L$U i$ dumb
AG
They must all be paying players and cheating, otherwise no kid would ever want to play at those horrible programs. The only good decision is A&M for all kids anywhere in the country, despite the fact that virtually all the programs you listed are historically better than ours.
Ifishandlie
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Ifishandlie said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Ifishandlie said:

The kids from Louisiana know LSU is a broke ass school and they know the money is running out...

LSU will always have money for football, that is not a factor

You serious Clark?

Yes. LSU football is always top 10 in revenue.

Dude, that was a joke. You can't seriously think that was serious ...

Here's some interesting things we can debate...

$3.5m ( head coach salary) has to be the absolute bottom pay for a top ten revenue generating school....

At one point I think Aranda made more than coach o
Had to keep him from leaving for tamu a few years ago. Remember that?

So your big time revenue school is probably paying their head coach the lowest amount of the top ten revenue generating schools?

You're only argument is coach o isn't worth more ...

And you might be right

Liquid Wrench
rootube said:

The part about Orgeron being a national recruiter. His first classes were typical LSU footprint. I think this is a larger trend you are going to see in the SEC and has nothing to do with Orgeron.
Orgeron has had a national reputation as a recruiter for over a decade. LSU is not his first coaching gig, despite the local boy angle.
rootube
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

rootube said:

The part about Orgeron being a national recruiter. His first classes were typical LSU footprint. I think this is a larger trend you are going to see in the SEC and has nothing to do with Orgeron.
Orgeron has had a national reputation as a recruiter for over a decade. LSU is not his first coaching gig, despite the local boy angle.

Here are their last three classes

2019 has two recruits out of footprint
2018 has one recruit out of footprint
2017 has one recruit out of footprint

To put that into perspective they currently have more DC area commits alone in their current class than all out of footprint recruiting for the last three years. This is not a typical class for LSU and I suspect when our 2020 class is done ours will not be a typical Aggie class.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

it's only natural with the "shrinking" of the world due to internet, cell phones, twitter etc...and tv deals where just about every game is on tv now or streamed over the internet

being far away at an out of state school doesn't mean as much as it used to because communication from far away is much easier and much better these days than it used to be.

kids don't feel as "homesick" as they used when going far away to school

all of that adds up to making it easier to recruit out of state players to your school

Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Basically everyone is following the Alabama model which is recruit the best kids no matter where they live.

The elitest programs have always been able to cherry pick everywhere. Bobby Bowden used to be it. Then it was Pete Carroll for a while. Today it is Saban and Dabo. Tomorrow it will be somebody else.

But the "Bama Model" only works for those top 3-5 coaches, unless the program is known for developing certain types of players (ex: Michigan and BYU with QBs for a while).

Orgeron is punching way above his weight class. Something is probably off.
rootube
AG
I disagree. My theory is that the SEC top tier is leveraging their national profile to go after the best players regardless of geography.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Geography still matters. Most HS recruits want to be close enough for mom to come to the games, or at least catch a few road games. A rare few just want to go far from home. Some will go far from home for the right coach.

of ou's 11 recruits, only 1 is truly from outside the conference footprint
of UGA's 13, only 1 is truly outside the conf footprint
of tOSU's 11, 4 are from outside the conf footprint

Urban was about on the same recruiting level as Saban and Dabo. They probably got those commits before Urban announced his retirement.

Everyone is "trying" to recruit like Dabo/Saban/Urban. Most fail b/c they lack the hardware. When they succeed (Hugh Freeze) there is usually something going on.

Orgeron has never even won a league champ.
rootube
AG
What LSU can sell is that they are a factory the spits out elite NFL players. That has to be a compelling slide show. It just feels like LSU and A&M have completely changed their recruiting philosophies. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
AG
Agree with you re: Ole Miss and similar programs.

LSU, whether we like it it not, is not Ole Miss. They are a borderline elite program with a pedigree. They can attract players from anywhere. They just usually don't have to.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The State of La is the talent-field. Most programs can refine that raw material. What does LSU have to distinguish itself from other big programs?

Maybe the cajun-culture thing. That attract 1-2 recruits from other regions. Beyond that?

-Most of the LSU players in the league played for Saban or Less
-half the SEC have comparable coaching staffs
-half the SEC have comparable stadiums/game-day atmosphere
-At least half the SEC are more respected academically
-Orgeron has not won a title
-Orgeron has not even won a league title

Sorry, it does NOT add up.

Correct answers to "How does ___ Distinguish itself to elite recruits:"

-Bama has Saban
-Clemson has Dabo
-tOSU had Urban
-USC and UCLA have the Hollywood thing (some people are into that)
-ND has the ND thing (I drank that kool-aid when I was 12, some still do)
-Stanford has the academics thing

The cajun thing is worth 1-2. The bagman is responsible for the other 6-7.
rootube
AG
Well Texas is living proof that you can have raw talent come in the door and nothing come out.

I disagree with basically everything you are saying and it feels like we are never going to agree so I will leave it at the part that indisputable. LSU has changed course in recruiting (For whatever reason) and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's a little early to say for us, but I feels like our philosophy has changed as well. When was the last time we had such highly recruited guys out of NJ and NC in the same class? And I don't think we are done, I predict based on offers that there will be more out of footprint guys in our 2020 class.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Answer my question:

Other than a sack of $$$ what does LSU have that would motivate 8 elite athletes from the coasts to pick them over Bama, Clemson, or a helmet program closer to home?

The best answer I heard was "they put lots of people in the NFL." My response was that Saban and Less had alot more to do with that than O. How do you deal with my response?

It is plausible that O somehow charmed these kids better than Saban, Dabo and the rest. Shady stuff is the more probable explanation.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I dont know how we got the DE out of NJ. Only thing I can think of is that we only have 5-6 decent DEs on our roster, so maybe less competitors than he would at most big programs.

The WR from NC makes a little more sense:

1. Jimbo runs a more complex offense than most colleges
2. His dad was a pro, so maybe more willing to travel for a good opportunity
3. Most of our good WRs are juniors and our 1 SO WR transferred- Fish will get opportunities

AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Answer my question:

Other than a sack of $$$ what does LSU have that would motivate 8 elite athletes from the coasts to pick them over Bama, Clemson, or a helmet program closer to home?

The best answer I heard was "they put lots of people in the NFL." My response was that Saban and Less had alot more to do with that than O. How do you deal with my response?

It is plausible that O somehow charmed these kids better than Saban, Dabo and the rest. Shady stuff is the more probable explanation.

They generally win no fewer than 9 games per year in the best division of the best conference in America.

They have a lot of national name recognition, whether or not you want to admit it. More than we do.

O has only been there as HC for what, 2 years? He will put just as many kids in the NFL as Miles did. The program produces them down there, not the coach. The kids being recruited today were crapping their pants when Saban coached there.

Finally, why can't every reason you give for out of state kids coming here apply to other programs? The answer to that is that you lack objectivity. Those kids decided, for whatever reason, that the opportunity at LSU fit them, just like our out of state kids did.

This isn't Kansas or Colorado State attracting top players from around the country all of a sudden. It's one of the top college football programs in America, year in and year out.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

Basically everyone is following the Alabama model which is recruit the best kids no matter where they live.

The elitest programs have always been able to cherry pick everywhere. Bobby Bowden used to be it. Then it was Pete Carroll for a while. Today it is Saban and Dabo. Tomorrow it will be somebody else.

But the "Bama Model" only works for those top 3-5 coaches, unless the program is known for developing certain types of players (ex: Michigan and BYU with QBs for a while).

Orgeron is punching way above his weight class. Something is probably off.
Not necessarily. For a lot of kids, they see popular former LSU players do well in the league like OBJ, Jarvis Landry, and Patrick Peterson and see a bunch of stupid twitter hashtags calling LSU the #NFLU and think that if they go there, they're automatically going to the NFL. The thing is, the players LSU are recruiting are already very talented and developed before they even get to campus, so regardless of what school they go to, the chances of them going to the NFL are high relative to most other prospects. However in many kids' minds it's alluring to be the "next" OBJ, Landry, Peterson, Fournette - even though all those players played for a previous coach. Unfortunately a lot of kids don't look at life outside / after football as a high priority when it comes to recruiting, and instead view getting to the NFL as #1. So if they see former players of a university in the league then they automatically think they can do the same thing, emotions get involved with relationships with the coaches, and the talent stacks up. If education. life after football, and alumni networks were more important to recruits, you'd be seeing schools like Stanford, A&M, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Northwestern consistently recruiting in the top 5.

For this reason a dog could recruit a top 10 class at LSU every year, but what Ed O is doing is going more national than normal maybe because the pool of Louisiana talent doesn't match their needs for this particular class. He's done a good job even for LSU standards of recruiting.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I never said we should be able to win 8 H2H recruiting battles with Saban and Dabo for recruits outside the footprint. Both have won title(s) at their current program.

I said there was a reasonable explanation for why the WR from NC chose us.
I said there was a plausible (read: very questionable) explanation for the DE from NJ.

LSU was getting 1-3 recruits a year from outside the SEC footprint. Cool.
Out of the clear blue, they get 8 this year. What changed? Finishing top 10 for the first time in 7 years. Cool, maybe that should have been worth 1 additional. They didn't win a title or even make the playoff.

Occam's razor says they paid for play.
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I never said we should be able to win 8 H2H recruiting battles with Saban and Dabo for recruits outside the footprint.

I didn't claim that you did.

Quote:

But no reasonable explanation as to why an out of state kid chooses LSU? Those are some amazingly thick maroon glasses.
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Finishing top 10 for the first time in 7 years. Cool, maybe that should have been worth 1 additional. .

Says who?
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

But no reasonable explanation as to why an out of state kid chooses LSU? Those are some amazingly thick maroon glasses.

So first, we are talking about players not even in the SEC footprint.

"an" out-of-footprint player, YES. The previous 5 years, they had: 3, 1, 1, 1, 2

"8" out-of-footprint players, extremely unlikely, especially how well rated most are

I would question us getting a haul like this, absent a playoff or SECCG appearance. No maroon glasses here.
WC94
AG
Man, I wonder if corn dogs would e-defend us this hard on on Tiger droppings? Probably the reason we are looking up at them instead of down.
dixichkn
AG
Seriously. No reason to believe anything unbecoming is going on at LSU.......

Now, if Farmer Fran is in any way, shape or form making Jaquelin Roy feel like he doesn't have a place in his home state........we might have a spot for ya, big guy..........
Agsuffering@bulaw
I made a mistake. LSU only had 2 Out-of-footprint HS recruits last year.
TXAggie2011
AG
Oregeron and several of their staff members have substantial (and recent) ties to Southern Cal and southern California. I'm sure they've got relationships out there that have helped recruit the 3 California players.

4 of the out of state guys are from the Washington-Baltimore area; the 2 Baltimore guys play at the same school. I don't know if they have specific ties to that area, but they've obviously hit it hard.

Frankly, I get the appeal of LSU and maybe they've decided to change up how they recruit.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I never said we should be able to win 8 H2H recruiting battles with Saban and Dabo for recruits outside the footprint. Both have won title(s) at their current program.

I said there was a plausible (read: very questionable) explanation for the DE from NJ.

Out of the clear blue, they get 8 this year. What changed? Finishing top 10 for the first time in 7 years. Cool, maybe that should have been worth 1 additional. They didn't win a title or even make the playoff.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, pays for play. That is how this game works.

HTH
Cassius
Lateralus Ag said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

HTH

If everyone does it, and has been doing it, why did LSU numbers trend up significantly? They tripled out of state stars. Did they up their money?

bulaw is the only poster making logical arguments in here.
Lateralus Ag
AG
I think you misunderstood my point. I am agreeing that LSU is paying players.
rootube
AG
Cassius said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

HTH

If everyone does it, and has been doing it, why did LSU numbers trend up significantly? They tripled out of state stars. Did they up their money?

No. Bulaw's posts smack of sour grapes. LSU recruiting is consistently top 5-10. This class will be follow that trend the only change will be that they are going out of footprint for a higher percentage of their haul. Hugh Freeze was the example raised and his classes jumped from top 25 to top 5. Big difference. I'm sure there were some wing nuts at tigerdroppings saying we were paying for players after our top 4 finish last year. It's kind of how things work.
AG
rootube said:

Cassius said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

HTH

No. Bulaw's posts smack of sour grapes. LSU recruiting is consistently top 5-10. This class will be follow that trend the only change will be that they are going out of footprint for a higher percentage of their haul. Hugh Freeze was the example raised and his classes jumped from top 25 to top 5. Big difference. I'm sure there were some wing nuts at tigerdroppings saying we were paying for players after our top 4 finish last year. It's kind of how things work.

Bingo. And when we sign a significantly higher number of out of state players this cycle, the same people accusing LSU of paying players will have all kinds of reasons explaining why it doesn't apply to us. It's childish.
Lateralus Ag
AG
C'mon bro. Childish is what we do here.
Jevertson
AG
This is interesting LSU has been successful year over year by locking down their state and cherry picking a few elite recruits OOS. Wonder if this is a one year anomaly or strategic shift.

I think if it's the latter it would be a mistake.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

No. Bulaw's posts smack of sour grapes. LSU recruiting is consistently top 5-10. This class will be follow that trend the only change will be that they are going out of footprint for a higher percentage of their haul.

No sour grapes when a competitor competes. Nice guess, though. You just minimized a huge difference.

The question nobody was ever able to answer is how on earth a coach like Orgeron, who has never won anything, is able to regularly beat out Saban and Dabo for kids from places far as heck from La.

The "cajun culture" thing has historically been enough to attract 1-2/ year.

Consider the context- kid from Southern Cal/ DC Area who can write his own ticket. His options include:

a) play for the best programs close enough for mom to drive
b) play for coaches who have won at the highest level
c) cajun culture, even though coach has yet to prove he can win big and failed at his last job

Very few recruits from Socal or DC would typically choose cajun culture under Orgeron. So yes, I think something is up.
Bill Superman
AG

Woodward brought some Aggie $ with him down to the swamp

At least we got 2 great hires out of him before he left
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.