Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Manziel to A&M?

18,748 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jja79
Reginald Cousins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
This.

This is the right answer. Thanks my dude.
Lateralus Ag
ashley
rootube said:

I know you want to make your point and it makes you feel good but if you read my post I am not suggesting that he wants to coach or necessarily that he would be good at it. You can't deny that he has been a QB his entire life and has excelled at a very high level so at a minimum he knows what it's like to compete at a high level. Guys like HBC and JFF have a desire to win that is stronger than most folks. Should we make him our offensive coordinator? No. Could he become a coach. Sure why not. Can you sit here and tell me with 100% confidence he could not become a coach? No.

He can't be a coach because he didn't graduate.
Gator92
AG
He'll have an office in the old Loupot's at Southgate within 3 years.

Book it!
Aggie87
AG
rootube said:

I know you want to make your point and it makes you feel good but if you read my post I am not suggesting that he wants to coach or necessarily that he would be good at it. You can't deny that he has been a QB his entire life and has excelled at a very high level so at a minimum he knows what it's like to compete at a high level. Guys like HBC and JFF have a desire to win that is stronger than most folks. Should we make him our offensive coordinator? No. Could he become a coach. Sure why not. Can you sit here and tell me with 100% confidence he could not become a coach? No.

There's nothing in his past that would indicate he's capable of coaching.

So you going out of your way to say that simply because he won a Heisman, he is qualified to be a coach is ridiculous.

Anyone COULD become a coach. The guy who mows the grass at my son's little league fields is as qualified to be a coach as JFF at this point though.

Your whole premise is simply incorrect.
Al Bula
AG
Aggie87 said:

Anyone COULD become a coach. The guy who mows the grass at my son's little league fields is as qualified to be a coach as JFF at this point though.

drawing a roundabout comparison between Manziel and lawn mowers is an insult to the lawn mowing community.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Aggie87 said:

rootube said:

So you going out of your way to say that simply because he won a Heisman, he is qualified to be a coach is ridiculous.

Most, but not all, coaches played the sport they coach.

As such, if the guy mowing the grass played CFB, then yes, he and Johnny are equally qualified, assuming of course the lawn mower doesn't have a college degree.
Aggie87
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Aggie87 said:

rootube said:

Most, but not all, coaches played the sport they coach.

As such, if the guy mowing the grass played CFB, then yes, he and Johnny are equally qualified, assuming of course the lawn mower doesn't have a college degree.

Except the guy mowing the lawn is already showing a greater dedication to a sport than Manziel ever did.
Lateralus Ag
AG
See, now you are just being silly.
KW Driver
C2 Ag 93 said:

No... just... no... I thank him for wonderful years of watching him play, and count him as an Aggie brother, but... No... He has not demonstrated anything that allows me to trust him guiding players, coaching, etc. Welcome him to give pep talks, but NOT as a regular associated with the system of coaching.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/manziel-wants-to-work-with-texas-aandm-program-after-playing-career/ar-AACFUui
Have you never heard of those guys that go around giving speeches about all of the stupid **** they did in their lives and how nobody else should do that because it is the wrong thing to do?
HoustonAg2106
AG
KW Driver said:

C2 Ag 93 said:

No... just... no... I thank him for wonderful years of watching him play, and count him as an Aggie brother, but... No... He has not demonstrated anything that allows me to trust him guiding players, coaching, etc. Welcome him to give pep talks, but NOT as a regular associated with the system of coaching.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/manziel-wants-to-work-with-texas-aandm-program-after-playing-career/ar-AACFUui
Have you never heard of those guys that go around giving speeches about all of the stupid **** they did in their lives and how nobody else should do that because it is the wrong thing to do?
He addressed that in his comments. Bring Johnny in to give pep talks/speeches, but he shouldn't be a regular employee on the coaching staff.
John Cocktolstoy
JimbosHatBarelyFits said:

I have no problem with him being a GA then a consultant type then go from there
You do know that GA stands for GRAD assistant correct?
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Stat Monitor Repairman
House that Johnny Built.

Job. Give it to him.
InMyOpinion
Who are players in the last 20 years to come back specifically to work for A&M in any capacity?

I know many have returned to Aggieland but I can't recall any working for the University

HoustonAg2106
AG
InMyOpinion said:

Who are players in the last 20 years to come back specifically to work for A&M in any capacity?

I know many have returned to Aggieland but I can't recall any working for the University

Dat Nguyen was a linebackers coach for Sherman in 2010 and 2011
Geriatric Punk
AG
1. So much for "true to each other as Aggies can be." Just sayin.

2. If the kid comes back to finish school and wants to try to add something positive to the squad, then trust that Jimbo is the one to evaluate and make that decision. If he graduates and wants to be a GA, same thing. Just sayin.

3. Gump mowed the grass for free. He was an all american millionaire entrepreneur congressional medal of honor war hero and international ping pong sensation. I wouldn't want him to coach on my staff. Just sayin.

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieT12
AG
I say give him a job.

Put him in charge of beer and wine sales. He'd be a helluva salesman with his experience.
fightinag
AggieT12 said:

I say give him a job.

Put him in charge of beer and wine sales. He'd be a helluva salesman with his experience.
One problem.......
With him in charge there'd be nothing left to sell
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
p-wonk01
AG
Aggie87 said:

He's a poster-boy for how not to behave as a student athlete while he was here, and by most accounts wasn't coachable. Sumlin/KK/Spav basically left him alone and let him freelance on the field.

And then he's been the poster-boy for how not to behave as a professional football player too. Not really learning playbooks, not attending meetings, flying around to Vegas etc when he should be focused on rehabbing, etc.

I wouldn't want that type of person around athletes I'm recruiting or trying to develop into the caliber of player this program needs today.

All that said, he was the most exciting college player I think I've ever seen.
I'd pretty much have to agree with every word of this....including the last sentence. Those were some fun years and the temporary cure for BAS. Only time I've always felt we had a chance in every game, no matter how far we got behind.
cheeky
AG
Director of Recruiting. Give it to him.
ashley
Can anyone picture Johnny working 16 hr days, six days a week during the season. How about 10 and 12 hr days the rest of the year.
jja79
AG
He apparently wasn't showing up for work when he was getting paid 7 figures. This whole idea is nuts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.