Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Welcome back R.C. Slocum

16,590 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by zipp99
RooAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

The game had left him behind and everyone, but him, seemed to realize it. Why this guy won't just go away and quietly retire is beyond me. Only A&M fires a coach then parades him around for the next 18 years throwing praise at him.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on Texags, which says something. Ask yourself why we would keep a guy around that had enough connections, influence, and respect to be asked to sit on the playoff selection committee, be very close friends with a former president, still has his opinion sought by current coaches on defensive schemes and is in the college football hall of fame.

Hmm....that's a tough one.
Skull Session
Get a grip? WTF man? We just fired Kennedy and hired Buzz who we should have hired 8 years ago. Then we lose Woodard and find out that he was only the 9th highest paid athletic director in the SEC, after all that he had done for us. And evidently we made no attempt to keep him. And before we even had time to wipe the tee tee of the seat RC, who we fired once, plops down and opens up his black book of 40 year old CO-Ed's. And you want us to get a grip? A grip on what? Reality? Well our reality sucks right now! So there isn't much to get a grip on.

Btw who was the interim we hired hen Hyman took off to TCU? I cant quite remember who that was. But we sure need RC, while we evidently go on a year long search to find that nobody wants the job. So we give it to RC who couldn't find on offensive coordinator much less a special teams coach to save his job. And you want us to get a grip?
PanzerAggie06
AG
Friends with a former President? Who f*****g cares? What a silly reason to parade around a failed coach. Ask yourself this, why did the brilliant RC who at the age of 56 was shown the door never coach another down of football? Simple, no one wanted him. Except maybe for some UNT type school. RC represents, at best, a mediocre past. Why so many continue to engage in the RC circle jerk is perplexing.
wyoag93
AG
It's a tad bit dramatic calling him a failed coach, so it's clear you have zero respect for R.C. Granted, the SWC was total crap when he took over, but he did manage to keep the momentum going after Jackie put us on probation...with 3 SWC titles and 1 B12. I'm not sure why any reasonable aggie would have an issue with R.C. being named Interim AD. It's Interim, for crying out loud. Sounds like you just like to ***** for the sake of *****ing.
Ags77
AG
I laugh at some of you morons that refer to Coach Slocum as a failed coach . The Hall of Fame disagrees. 123-47 disagrees. Hell, anyone who has ever coached or has a decent knowledge of the game disagrees.
Gigem
PanzerAggie06
AG
You forgot to add all the schools that tripped over themselves trying to hire RC when we canned him. Oh, wait.

RC couldn't get it done here. There is zero debating that. When he was canned the vast majority of Aggies were figuratively dancing in the streets. Now the revisionist historians have had 17 years to paint the picture of a great coach being treated poorly by A&M. I have no animosity towards him on a personal level. I just find the whole RC lovefest mentality slightly comical.
Ags77
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

You forgot to add all the schools that tripped over themselves trying to hire RC when we canned him. Oh, wait.

RC couldn't get it done here. There is zero debating that. When he was canned the vast majority of Aggies were figuratively dancing in the streets. Now the revisionist historians have had 17 years to paint the picture of a great coach being treated poorly by A&M. I have no animosity towards him on a personal level. I just find the whole RC lovefest mentality slightly comical.

RC COULDNT GET IT DONE HERE ? Now THATS comical.
Gigem
PanzerAggie06
AG
You actually believe he did? Oh, his one Big 12 Championship. The pinnacle of success in the history of A&M football. You do realize how f*****g sad it is that that is our one claim to fame. And if you mention his SWC championships.......please don't. Thats beyond pathetic.
Ags77
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

You actually believe he did? Oh, his one Big 12 Championship. The pinnacle of success in the history of A&M football. You do realize how f*****g sad it is that that is our one claim to fame. And if you mention his SWC championships.......please don't. Thats beyond pathetic.

The Hall of Fame thought he "got it done". I wish you the same success at your job that Coach had at his. Or I guess another way to say it is "I hope you dont get it done". LOL
Gigem
RooAg
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

RC had multiple opportunities to keep coaching, including the pros as a head coach. Anyone who knows anyone in coaching circles or the man himself knows that to be true. He chose not to coach anymore and that is 100% fact. If you ever meet him, ask him yourself.

And no one is asking him to replace Jimbo. You are being chicken little because we asked him to be an interim AD while we conduct our search. You are aware that Jimbo has his coaches, so where in the world of amazing non-sequiturs does RC not being able to hire an OC have anything to do with it?

Should we hire Oliver Luck as our interim AD? I mean why aren't we conducting a national search and sparing no expense on this temporary fill-in? Good gravy, man.
wyoag93
AG
Maybe we respect the guy for his genuine love for Texas A&M. Why is that such a hard concept to understand? He's a likable figure who spent the vast majority of his career at A&M. I'm sure he isn't a saint, but he's one of the most approachable people i have ever met, and i have a tremendous amount of respect for the man.

PanzerAggie06
AG
So getting it done means getting in the College HOF? Not championships, not rankings, not wins/loses? Got it. Glad that a coaches success is to be determined by his individual personal accolade of being put in the HOF and not what his team does.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Your source for RC getting multiple offers from other organizations is RC himself? Well, damn. You got me. How does one argue with such a rock solid source. WTF else would he say?
RooAg
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

Your source for RC getting multiple offers from other organizations is RC himself? Well, damn. You got me. How does one argue with such a rock solid source. WTF else would he say?

Nope. But nice assumption like all the others you've made. Did you get Jump to Conclusions Mat for Christmas?
Ags77
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

So getting it done means getting in the College HOF? Not championships, not rankings, not wins/loses? Got it. Glad that a coaches success is to be determined by his individual personal accolade of being put in the HOF and not what his team does.

Lol, I can tell you havent coached. Being in the Hall of Fame means you are exceptional in your field of work. YOUR RECORD is how you receive that kind of honor. 123-47 IS GETTING IT DONE.
Gigem
PanzerAggie06
AG
So, your source of his multiple offers is?
MaroonMachine
Yeah, it was. We lost the arms race, due to the lack of support from Groff and others. That arms race cost some to notch recruits. I wouldn't expect you to know this though, since you were still in highschool during this time.
RooAg
AG
5-6 former NFL players, 2-3 former coaches, several others still coaching in the league at assistant level, bowl committee members, the man himself, etc.

And your sources on your claim he never got any offers? I'll hang up and listen.
Ags77
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

So, your source of his multiple offers is?

My source for R.C. getting numerous offers is R.C. telling me that. I cant think of a better source.
Gigem
PanzerAggie06
AG
So being a coach is a prerequisite for posting on a football forum? Ha. Well, goodbye to 99.9% of posters here. RC being in the HOF is important to one person.... RC. It's a nice pat on the back. Go check out the list of coaches in the college football HOF. All sorts of average to fair coaches listed there. RCs job was to build a powerhouse that won championships. One B12 Championship was not getting it done. Sorry if that bothers you.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Hahahaha. As if he'd say anything different. Are you really that naive?
PanzerAggie06
AG
My sources? 12 former players. 20 former coaches. The ghost of Bear Bryant. See how easy it is to make s**t up as proof of a statement while actually proving no legitimate proof.

You're asking me to prove a negative. This is impossible of course. I'm sure your realize this. You can pick up now and listen again.
Ags77
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

So being a coach is a prerequisite for posting on a football forum? Ha. Well, goodbye to 99.9% of posters here. RC being in the HOF is important to one person.... RC. It's a nice pat on the back. Go check out the list of coaches in the college football HOF. All sorts of average to fair coaches listed there. RCs job was to build a powerhouse that won championships. One B12 Championship was not getting it done. Sorry if that bothers you.

I didnt say you didnt have a right to post on here. I said you dont know what "getting it done" means. The Hall of Fame does mean something to A LOT of people, not just RC. It's an honor given to the best of the coaching field. A record of 123-47 is also an exceptional record amongst all the coaches that have ever coached.

Dont confuse me correcting you on why you were wrong in your statement with not thinking you have a right to make such statements. Again, whatever you chose to do for a living, I can only hope you do it as well as Coach Slocum did it.

Gigem
wyoag93
AG
I'm sure R.C. would agree with you that he didn't "get it done". He's still a likable and well respected former coach who represents A&M with class. What good does it do to argue that he was just a mediocre coach in your opinion? At the time, we were lucky to have him. Jackie might have been a better coach, but I have far more respect for R.C.
RooAg
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

My sources? 12 former players. 20 former coaches. The ghost of Bear Bryant. See how easy it is to make s**t up as proof of a statement while actually proving no legitimate proof.

You're asking me to prove a negative. This is impossible of course. I'm sure your realize this. You can pick up now and listen again.

You don't know me, and I'm not going to name drop, so feel free to believe I am a liar. Don't really care. But how about this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-gZvak9_hAhUSX60KHY_BAqwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saturdaydownsouth.com%2Ftamu-football%2Fthe-last-cowboy-texas-am-rc-slocum-long-ride-home%2F&psig=AOvVaw1JjgU7K3mUEsjOGLvb8xBs&ust=1555866283042842

"Still dealing with shock and forced to clean out the office that took 14 years to break in, Slocum, who went 123-47-2 at College Station, received two head coaching inquiries (Baylor, Houston) by nine o'clock the next morning. More interest continued to file in, including the defensive coordinator position at Alabama under Mike Price and the same position with the Oakland Raiders and old pal Norv Turner."

Your new rebuttal is?
Kozmozag
It is an incredibly bad decision, but not surprising. Should have just let next in line be the interim. I bet rc is absolutely clueless about the operations of the ad.
SA-AG72
AG
Kozmozag said:

It is an incredibly bad decision, but not surprising. Should have just let next in line be the interim. I bet rc is absolutely clueless about the operations of the ad.

Next in line may be a candidate. Asst. ADs do most of the heavy lifting. RC is in place to keep the wheels on, nothing more.
Maroon Dawn
AG
2 things

1) RC better not be the permanent guy. We need a highly qualified professional AD and he isn't it

2) DONT HIRE SOMEONE WHO IS A SEC/L10 ALUMNI
PanzerAggie06
AG
My new rebuttal is that I said from the start that only "UNT type schools" showed interest. Houston and Baylor fit that bill. So I'm good. Both were, and are, still jokes.
RooAg
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

My new rebuttal is that I said from the start that only "UNT type schools" showed interest. Houston and Baylor fit that bill. So I'm good. Both were, and are, still jokes.

Conveniently ignoring the NFL and Bama DC gigs. And although not listed in the article, he received head coach interest at both levels with several others, including better colleges. I'm sure you will reply with show me proof, I'm sorry I don't have videotapes of the conversations both he and his agent were approached with. But as the article states as well as several others in this topic, you've been proven wrong but just can't accept it.

And here's a reference to interest in him as head coach of LSU. Not quite UNT.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/slocum-tries-hand-at-selling-the-school-he-loves/article_669b2f68-abf9-56a7-a6ca-5fdc05187635.html
Sparkie
AG
Give him a mobile and bring back the greatness.

Hey Nav
AG
Bring back the Gulf Coast Offense.
mcag83
AG
Kozmozag said:

It is an incredibly good decision and not surprising. ..
Like anyone can even know that.
Stone44
AG
wyoag93 said:

I'm sure R.C. would agree with you that he didn't "get it done". He's still a likable and well respected former coach who represents A&M with class. What good does it do to argue that he was just a mediocre coach in your opinion? At the time, we were lucky to have him. Jackie might have been a better coach, but I have far more respect for R.C.
Don't go bad mouthing Jackie. You obviously don't know s### about him. Former players respect him and speak highly of him. He did a great job for us and has always been loyal to A&M. We just need to make the right hire and RC will be fine in the interim. It's not rocket science since the best AD we've had in years went to lsu.
Stumpknocker
PanzerAggie06 said:

Friends with a former President? Who f*****g cares? What a silly reason to parade around a failed coach. Ask yourself this, why did the brilliant RC who at the age of 56 was shown the door never coach another down of football? Simple, no one wanted him. Except maybe for some UNT type school. RC represents, at best, a mediocre past. Why so many continue to engage in the RC circle jerk is perplexing.
Bingo! Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.