Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The origin of BAS

15,034 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cannonball!
wisdom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

NSTN8
My origin was like 2000 or 2001. We had a big lead on tech at home. We ended up blowing the lead in the forth quarter. It was so disgusting and dejecting. That was the first cut for me. And it was the deepest (at the time)...
ChiefKiefton
Arkansas state for me.
NoahAg
Tech was 02. Again in 06.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Bad bull OP
Bonfire1996
AG
When our all time winningest coach said, after a loss, "Half the teams in college football lost today."
Reno Hightower
1995 game @ Colorado.
ironmanag
AG
Fran

eot
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Tech 1999
Ginormus Ag
AG
Yep. We should be more respectful of the day that John Wayne died at the Alamo.
Cancelled
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

Yep. We should be more respectful of the day that John Wayne died at the Alamo.

I agree.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Username does not check out, not a wise post champ.
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
TheGodfather
AG
September 1991. We open by hammering LSU 45-7 then, exactly 7 days later, we go on the road and lose at.....Tulsa. We win out (undefeated in SWC) and then lose the Cotton Bowl 10-2 in a game marked by the infamous fumble through the EZ at the end of what should have been a great TD run.

But all of that was a distant memory the next year when we rolled through the '92 season undefeated, only to get popped by ND in the Cotton Bowl and finish 12-1.

But...once again excitement was high as the 93 team was 10-1 headed back into the Cotton Bowl ready to exact a little revenge on ND...only to lose a heartbreaker 24-21.

Looking back, these were 3 of the greatest seasons in the history of the program, but those who lived through them, game by game, will understand the feeling of having a great team that always seemed just one win away from being in the national conversation of truly elite programs. As great as the winning was, the few losses (and to the team's credit, there were very few) were really frustrating.
MR Gadsden
77-0
Grits
AG
Nah you're a few months late with that one.

It definitely started at Goliad when a few hundred of us played "Cannon Keep Away" with the entire mexican army.

I honestly though we had a chance, but recruiting just didn't pan out that year...
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Sponge
AG
W
AG
1974 t.u.

(if you're old enough)
95_Aggie
AG
1975 Arkansas
Texags Meltdown
AG
49-9 loss to the sips. 2008 I believe.
DD88
AG
The Sherman teams with a propensity for 3rd quarter collapses weren't the origin, but were were responsible for significantly spreading the BAS plague.

For a while, Johnny was the cure. You had confidence that he would somehow find a way to pick up that 3rd and long and pull off the win.
Off_The_Wood
AG
No matter what generation you are, all Ags can point to a slew of moments responsible for your BAS, spanning decades. It's what unites us all.
Dandy 76
AG
95_Aggie said:

1975 Arkansas
Agree. The '75 Arky game trumps the '74 tu game. Although things finally turned around for us in 1974 under Bellard, we had much higher expectations going into the UA game that next year only to get destroyed by the hogs. Then followed it up with a lackluster performance in the Liberty Bowl.
OrygunAg
AG
Early 90s inexplicable losses or ties that kept us out of national championship contention.
Ags4DaWin
93 and 94 cotton bowls.

After those I knew that the ride would be long, hard, and mostly full of heartache.
HunterAggie
Early 90's when I had high expectations and my father-in-law ('48) was really excited about Aggie football.

But it's the Jimbo Fisher Era now and as the woman said, "BAS, ain't nobody got time for dat".

(doesn't mean it's going to be an easy road but the journey will be worth it).
Froppe
AG
Generally speaking, think it goes back to Goliath vs. that little squirt David. That one shouldn't have even been close.

dENNIS and Sumlin both seemed to study that gameplay very closely.

Damn, I hope Jimbo cures this turrible disease!

AG
TheGodfather said:

September 1991. We open by hammering LSU 45-7 then, exactly 7 days later, we go on the road and lose at.....Tulsa. We win out (undefeated in SWC) and then lose the Cotton Bowl 10-2 in a game marked by the infamous fumble through the EZ at the end of what should have been a great TD run.

But all of that was a distant memory the next year when we rolled through the '92 season undefeated, only to get popped by ND in the Cotton Bowl and finish 12-1.

But...once again excitement was high as the 93 team was 10-1 headed back into the Cotton Bowl ready to exact a little revenge on ND...only to lose a heartbreaker 24-21.

Looking back, these were 3 of the greatest seasons in the history of the program, but those who lived through them, game by game, will understand the feeling of having a great team that always seemed just one win away from being in the national conversation of truly elite programs. As great as the winning was, the few losses (and to the team's credit, there were very few) were really frustrating.
Goro Majima
AG
Sherman's 2009 season, my freshman year. Though it was less BAS and more accepting that A&M was a below average program (at the time).
rootube
AG
Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was talking about how we were darkhorse national title contenders, and Leeland McElroy was going to win the heisman. We got hammered so hard that day.
MaroonStain
AG
rootube said:

Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.
I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was talking about how we were darkhorse national title contenders, and Leeland McElroy was going to win the heisman. We got hammered so hard that day.

I was at that game and we didn't get "hammered" (even though Coors beer flowed during the game). We definitely didn't capitalize on opportunities and our secondary started the beginnings of opponents' back-up QBs looking like Heismans.
rootube
AG
1996 we lost a brutal game at home vs. Kansas State. My brother was so angry he didn't say a word just started walking home instead of getting a ride. We lived just outside 2818 near A&M consolidated HS.
rootube
AG
MaroonStain said:

rootube said:

Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.

I was at that game and we didn't get "hammered" (even though Coors beer flowed during the game). We definitely didn't capitalize on opportunities and our secondary started the beginnings of opponents' back-up QBs looking like Heismans.
We never stood a chance in that game. We were dominated physically, Leeland was nicked up and was never really the same again that season.
coupland boy
AG
MaroonStain said:

rootube said:

Reno Hightower said:

1995 game @ Colorado.

If we had gotten hammered it would have been disappointing in a different way. But the way we lost that game was much more crushing.

That game and then getting SCREWED in Lubbock the next week were probably two of the most demoralizing weeks in Aggie sports for me personally.
astroboy
AG
I'll take your 1996 Kansas State and give you 1996 Southwestern Louisiana. I sat in the cold and watched 7 Aggie turnovers as we lost to some swamp people 29-22. Frick the whole 1996 season
Ihatefallscounty
AG
The season we would go up by 30-40 points, and then lose the game in the second half. That's when i knew my BAS was real. That entire season, peed all over any maroon shades i ever had.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.