Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Daylon Mack at Combine

22,937 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr. Nefario
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mack is strong as an Ox but another part of this workout is endurance, which up until this year, was not Daylon's strong suit.

I'd expect him to post a bit above average at his position because of this.
Roger Goodell
war hymn aggie said:

Mack is strong as an Ox but another part of this workout is endurance, which up until this year, was not Daylon's strong suit.

Debbie Downer Alert
DTLB
Well if it wasn't maybe previous staff had him doing something different after his freshman year because he played all sports and both ways for his high school team and dominated the ua game earning mvp on the losing team
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
rootube said:

L1TexAg95 said:

I remember this too. Durant didn't do one rep BTW
I knew it was bad. I wonder how many Oden did? I'm sure everyone was impressed, meanwhile on the other side of the bench press his foot was held together with bailing wire.

Durant's wingspan puts him at a huge disadvantage on bench press purely based on physics before any strength is taken into account. That same wingspan is a huge advantage for him in the NBA. But Skip doesn't abide by the rules of logic.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Ag4coal
war hymn aggie said:

I don't know if you noticed, but I think all but 3 players showed how little endurance they had under the previous staff
GinMan
AG
ATM9000
AG
rootube said:

rootube said:

4 said:

I wish they'd test them on squats.

The stories about his leg strength are crazy.
I always thought it was strange that bench press was such a big deal in the combine. The bench is probably the most useless lift in all of weight training.
Funny story. I was listening to sports radio leading up to the 2007 NBA draft and I remember Skip Bayless saying that Greg Oden was a better prospect than Kevin Durant because he had a better bench press than Durant. Durant apparently had a very bad bench press. Skip's argument, and I am not kidding here was that Durant's bench press number indicated that Durant's body would not stand up to the physical rigors of the NBA! I honestly didn't know who Skip Bayless was at the time but I remember thinking this guys is a complete idiot. Skip has only solidified my original opinion of him in the intervening years.

Back in 2007, out basketball board was practically busting a nut thinking abt what a flop Durant was going to be based on the bench numbers.
L1TexAg95
AG
Well, to be honest, it does make me happy to know that despite what a great athlete he is, I would embarrass him on the bench. Unfortunately I won't make NBA money for my prowess. It also makes me happy to see Hardin run through Curry's kitchen.
12mn95
AG
GinMan said:

Why does it look like Daylon running only 20 yards? He seems to slow down after 20 yards so that is why I assume he's not running a 40. Perhaps working on his initial burst
C Loves L
jjmanzano said:

I have a feeling his combine and interviews are going to impress the hell outta the teams.

"Mack, tell us about why you lost interest in playing football and almost quit during college"

That would be my first question when considering him as a multi million dollar investment
C Loves L
12mn95 said:

GinMan said:

Why does it look like Daylon running only 20 yards? He seems to slow down after 20 yards so that is why I assume he's not running a 40. Perhaps working on his initial burst

Hes just that big and that quick
Texan1976
yardwhisperer said:

No way Dodson gets 36

Edit: Myles Garrett got 33 and most would consider him the stronger more athletically freaky one.

Garrett is tall with long arms. 33 is a huge number for him. Mack is short with short arms. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 40 with his frame and strength.
rootube
AG
ATM9000 said:

rootube said:

rootube said:

4 said:

I wish they'd test them on squats.

The stories about his leg strength are crazy.
I always thought it was strange that bench press was such a big deal in the combine. The bench is probably the most useless lift in all of weight training.
Funny story. I was listening to sports radio leading up to the 2007 NBA draft and I remember Skip Bayless saying that Greg Oden was a better prospect than Kevin Durant because he had a better bench press than Durant. Durant apparently had a very bad bench press. Skip's argument, and I am not kidding here was that Durant's bench press number indicated that Durant's body would not stand up to the physical rigors of the NBA! I honestly didn't know who Skip Bayless was at the time but I remember thinking this guys is a complete idiot. Skip has only solidified my original opinion of him in the intervening years.

Back in 2007, out basketball board was practically busting a nut thinking abt what a flop Durant was going to be based on the bench numbers.
Good times! I really loved that A&M basketball team. I can picture the argument going something like Acie Law is 10x the player Durant is.
Kill Switch
Bench press is s stupid measure of football strength. Squat and dead lift are the only two lifts that matter in this game. I'd probably put more value in how much they can shoulder press than bench press. I guess the NFL is stuck in the past.
DTLB
Working on 10 yard split
Elite times for big men are 1.75-1.70
Myles had a 1.63
Daylon is around 1.65
12mn95
AG
DTLB said:

Working on 10 yard split
Myles had a 1.63
Daylon is around 1.65
Thanks for clearing that up. That definitely wasn't a 40 he was running
Lateralus Ag
AG
DTLB said:

Working on 10 yard split
Myles had a 1.63
Daylon is around 1.65

So, what you mean is elite times for big men are 1.63-1.65?
PooDoo
AG
Following in the footsteps of TaTa.

rootube
AG
No weak bench press with this group. Awesome team. (I Know...I Know... Take it to the basketball board)
DTLB
DTLB
IMG_0616.PNG
TRL-Ag
yardwhisperer said:

No way Dodson gets 36

Edit: Myles Garrett got 33 and most would consider him the stronger more athletically freaky one.

He also has much longer arms which makes the lift harder.
Bodhi
AG
too bad number of bench presses doesn't correlate to a successful football career
Secolobo
AG
Can I go to sleep Looch?
Ol Rock
AG
Secolobo said:

A real gym rat!
AggieKatie2
AG
rootube said:

No weak bench press with this group. Awesome team. (I Know...I Know... Take it to the basketball board)

Sigh....what an amazing time for A&M basketball
Seven Costanza
AG
Damontre Moore was projected to be a top-10 pick following the 2012 season, but fell to the 3rd round after a poor combine performance that included 12 reps on bench, a 4.95 40, and a not-great interview.
Froppe
AG
I'd love to see Daylon lift a combine at the combine. It could happen!!!
Wrighty
AG
Mack is a success story. Highly rated recruit, did his underclass time in a contribution role, and by his senior year was a key force in making his DLine unit one of the best in the nation, as part of an overall strong defensive unit. Pulling hard for him now.
C Loves L
Bodhi said:

too bad number of bench presses doesn't correlate to a successful football career

I woulda went in the first 2 rds back in 2010 if so
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Gig em Mack!! So quick off the ball and bull rush strong
yardwhisperer
AG
Texan1976 said:

yardwhisperer said:

No way Dodson gets 36

Garrett is tall with long arms. 33 is a huge number for him. Mack is short with short arms. I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 40 with his frame and strength.
Wasn't talking about Mack, I was talking about Dodson.
500,000ags
AG
The real story is Mack versus Keke. I've been a big fan of Keke since his sophomore year, his ability to move to DE this year was amazing and 100% a team-first move too. He could play at 6'4" and 340lbs if he needed.
DTLB
Mack made life better for the front seven by taking on two blockers all year. Like Durham said do your job!
Dr. Nefario
C Loves L said:

Bodhi said:

I woulda went in the first 2 rds back in 2010 if so

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.