Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M hires Oklahoma State's Josh Henson to coach offensive line

February 8, 2019

When news of Jim Turner's exit began to leak out of Cincinnati prior to National Signing Day, I stated that Aggie head coach Jimbo Fisher would waste very little time in finding and hiring a replacement. Things played out as expected (and fittingly) with Fisher doing what he did so many times during the 2019 recruiting cycle.

Jimbo was able to land the first coach he targeted, venturing north of the Red River and grabbing an old friend and assistant in Josh Henson. The former Oklahoma State offensive lineman began his career working for Les Miles in Stillwater before moving on to LSU, where he spent one season under Fisher as the Tiger tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. After two seasons on the job managing the Bayou Bengals recruiting efforts (which produced a pair of top-10 classes), Henson was on staff when the Tigers won the 2008 national title.

From there, Henson found his way to the Big 12 and eventually the SEC East, where he was the Missouri Co-Offensive Line coach from '09-'12 before ascending to serve as Gary Pinkel's Offensive Coordinator/OL coach from 2013-2015. During that time, Henson was the play-caller for consecutive SEC East title-winning squads, guiding a pair of very high-powered, explosive Tiger offenses that got it done through the air and on the ground. I know most of us have blocked the games out, but both of those Mizzou teams beat A&M, including running for nearly 350 yards while amassing just under 600 total at Kyle Field. When Pinkel stepped down in Columbia, Henson found his way back to Stillwater, where he served as an analyst for Mike Gundy before taking over the Cowboy offensive line in 2017 and last season.

Henson has drawn pretty high praise from more than one of the college football coaches without A&M ties that I've spoken with.

Considered one of the better recruiters in the country as far as OL assistants go, Henson has drawn pretty high praise from more than one of the college football coaches without A&M ties that I've spoken with over the past 24-48 hours. He's very well respected for his in-game prowess, and as an Xs and Os teacher and recruiter. Ironically enough, he'll walk onto campus and find a couple of former OSU commits in his meeting room in Ryan McCollum and starting tackle Dan Moore.

I think it's pretty clear how highly Jimbo Fisher regards his most recent hire considering how quickly he moved on the man who once sat in on his staff meetings in Baton Rouge. Sure, there are two or three guys in the country who are unattainable and locked into wherever they're at (folks like UGA's Sam Pittman, the highest-paid OL assistant in college football), but the fact of the matter is that Fisher could have gone out and pursued just about anyone he wanted (including a couple of NFL assistants who were very interested in the job), but he identified his man in very short order.

Fisher was able to land a guy with extensive SEC experience, someone who has recruited in Texas for years and an assistant who was a high-level coordinator and play-caller. In other words, this hire checks all of the boxes and has folks inside of Bright pretty excited. An important hire with what the Ags bring back up in the trenches and with what's out there in the Lone Star State in terms of high school talent from the 2020 and 2021 ranks.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M hires Oklahoma State's Josh Henson to coach offensive line

44,973 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by C Loves L
gomerschlep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm good with it. I trust Jimbo
DF12
DUman08
AG
Not sure I am 100% behind this hire. I just hope Jimbo did his due diligence.
DF12
Pinkel retired do to health issues.
Rongagin71
HossAg
AG
DUman08 said:

Not sure I am 100% behind this hire. I just hope Jimbo did his due diligence.

Respectfully, you don't know wtf to look for in assistant coaches like these. Jimbo didn't half ass this just to get it over with.
texag0928
es bueno!
Amazing Moves
Fantastic hire.
Our-turn-to-rule
mgreen
In Jimbo I trust.
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
so far Jimbo is the schhizzle - i'm happy
I am here for the comments.
Mythotbetterthanyours
This guy can recruit!!
Stone44
AG
Jimbo doesn't need approval from anyone on this site. He knows what works.
sawemoff2010
AG
The dude's alma mater is Oklahoma State. That's the kind of pull that Jimbo and Texas A&M have...that this guy would leave his alma mater for the same job.
Aston 91
AG
Not to discount Jimbo, but I'm guessing there was also a substantial raise involved.
Shooz in Katy
AG
He's no Dave Christansen, but I'll take him I guess.
Rongagin71
AG
Schu in Mizzou said:

He's no Dave Christansen, but I'll take him I guess.
Poor Dave....
Agsuffering@bulaw
Okie Lite is a weird situation. I wonder if they pay badly.

-Okie Lite's OC (Wilson) goes tOSU to become the QB coach and passing game coordinator
-Okie Lite then goes and hires Princeton's OC

Okie lite passed up on promoting Henson, even though he called plays for Pinkel and can recruit. I am guessing the Princeton guy never had to recruit with the P5s.

But why A&M? JImbo calls plays and Craig is the name OC?
Maybe to bolster the resume.
Maybe he felt jilted.
We probably pay better.
I bet he is calling plays somewhere in 2020.
war hymn aggie
AG
Henson is a OSU grad. Jimbo hiring him away from Josh's alma mater is rather impressive.
Coog_aTm
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

-Okie Lite's OC (Wilson) goes tOSU to become the QB coach and passing game coordinator

Okie lite passed up on promoting Henson, even though he called plays for Pinkel and can recruit. I am guessing the Princeton guy never had to recruit with the P5s.

Maybe he felt jilted.
We probably pay better.
I'm sure he got a substantial raise
AWP 97
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Maybe he felt jilted.
We probably pay better.
"...Craig is the name OC?"

Is anyone else confused by this statement?
68RebelE
AG
OU athletic department is broke. I imagine OSU is in similar situation.
swc93
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Henson is a OSU grad. Jimbo hiring him away from Josh's alma mater is rather impressive.

I know an OSU grad that is an OU fan and season ticket holder.

Stoolwater is stoolwater.
Amazing Moves
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Maybe he felt jilted.
We probably pay better.

StickTogetherAgs
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

"...Craig is the name OC?" Is anyone else confused by this statement?

"Titular" or "Nominal" would have been more precise. You still should have figured it out.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Sorry it never occurred to you to ask WHY.
TAMU74
AG
68RebelE said:

Interesting comment.
How do you know this?
Regardless, I'm sure he's a good hire.
Amazing Moves
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Sorry it never occurred to you to ask WHY.
It's a below average joke. Take it. I generally like your analysis on football related things.
John Cocktolstoy
68RebelE said:

Rebel must mean the door to weight room is broke...cause there is plenty of money in the athletic program!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
bat61
AG
No AgTags in this thread?
GreatSullysGhost
Dickey?
Jinkies.
LEJ
He don't gotta mullet. I am disappoint.
DallasAg 94
USA Today stats from '16-17 indicate Okie St is bringing in $92M, which is 40th.

Behind Sips, Sooners, West Va and Kansas.

Jimbo is very likely to stream through some assistant coaches.
Lateralus Ag
AG
The BDF is known for their running game and offensive line prowess. This is a great hire.

Color me completely unimpressed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.