Story Poster
Photo by Rey Romo, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Recent de-commitments no reason for Battered Aggie Syndrome

December 12, 2018

Battered Aggie Syndrome is kind of like syphilis. If left untreated, BAS can damage the brain and cause severe psychiatric issues.

That’s the theory, anyway. That theory would seem to be sound judging by the reaction to recent news of two de-commitments from Texas A&M’s 2019 football recruiting class.

Some recruits flipped. Some Aggies flipped out.

They took to message boards to assail A&M coach Jimbo Fisher and staff. They lamented the departure of previous assistant coaches. A few even wail over a collapsing class.

All this angst over a program whose recruiting class is ranked No. 2 by ESPN and No. 3 by 247 Sports with one week to go until the early signing period.

If any Aggie had been void of all recruiting information until today—and then learned the Aggies’ class current ranking—they would be delighted. Instead, two guys flip and they become demented.

TexAgs
Converse Judson DL DeMarvin Leal is one of the headliners of A&M’s elite 2019 class.

Alabama has had prospects flip. Georgia has too. So has Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma. De-commitments are just a part of the recruiting process. Yet, some with BAS seem to have difficulty accepting that reality. 

Don’t want to worry about players flipping? Then offer players other teams don’t want. Fisher won’t play that game because he’s aiming to play in championship games.

Still, any recruiting negativity can cause normally levelheaded Aggies to lose their minds.

Those suffering from BAS-induced dementia—or NueroBAS as it’s scientifically known—should repeatedly pore over the list of prospects that remain committed to Fisher’s rising program.

There’s defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal‍, the five-star prospect rated the best defensive lineman in the state of Texas. Leal is so good that Alabama has relentlessly tried to pry him away from Fisher to no avail.

There’s five-star offensive tackle Kenyon Green‍, who is rated the best player in the state. There’s safety Brian Williams‍, who is rated among the nation’s Top 30 prospects by ESPN.

Overall, A&M has commitments from 12 players that are ranked among ESPN’s Top 300 prospects. That’s more than Clemson, LSU, Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon and Florida State among others.

There remain several highly-rated high school and junior college prospects that are heavily considering A&M. The Aggies recruiting class isn’t collapsing. It’s going to get better.

By the way, it will be Jimbo Fisher and his staff developing those players. 

Rey Romo, TexAgs
Jimbo Fisher and his staff will develop young talent just like they did with All-American Jace Sternberger.

Also, consider that Fisher and his staff also have a knack for finding diamonds in rough that the recruiting services aren’t so high on.

Be honest. Last year were you familiar with junior college tight end Jace Sternberger before Fisher brought him to College Station? He arrived as a three-star prospect. In one season under Fisher he’s become a consensus All-American.

Prospect perusal should work like penicillin for those with advanced NeuroBAS. That figures to cure what ails you and restore sound brain function.

If BAS suffering continues? Then just sigh fellas… and rewatch the LSU game as often as possible.

Discussion from...

Recent de-commitments no reason for Battered Aggie Syndrome

27,271 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Triple-T
Mr. Black
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a very timely and topical article, Olin! Gig 'em!
Post removed:
by user
rojack
AG
Great article. I will attach copy to TxAg login for my chronic treatment . Thanks OB.
Bill Superman
AG

A lot of truth up in here

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
You're a good reporter/writer Olin.

Thanks
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
TexasLeaguer
AG
Well said!
Mr Mojo Risin
AG
And Stephen McGee would like to add, "Grow a Pear!"
America was built on speed, hot, nasty, badass speed.
Post removed:
by user
C4D
AG
BAS is like Syphilis
GumboMaverick
I cant watch the LSU game enough-- still get chills watching it.
aggie090
AG
Searching for story topics...
Little Rock Ag
AG
Level-headed response, but it still sucks to lose those guys to Bama.
TAMU74
AG
I never fret over recruiting. It's stupid to do so.
That's what the coaches are paid to do...recruit, develop talent and win.
Every school has players that commit and then flip. Nothing new here.
Worrying about how many stars a player has and class ranking is nonsense and means very little.
At the end of the day it don't mean $**t if recruits aren't coached up.
It's all about W's and L's.
92_Ag
AG
Good coaches can lead great players to good seasons.

Great coaches can lead good players to great seasons.

My pedantic contribution for the day.
Rock1982
AG
Truth.
Lateralus Ag
AG
I notice Alabama wasnt on one of your lists. Too bad we have to play them. Every year.
a.froman
AG
The issue isn't the de-commitments, it is the fact that they came from players in "need" positions. LBs and Corners are arguably our biggest needs. Corner because we aren't very good and LB because our depth is very lacking
dixichkn
AG
And honestly I haven't seen a whole lot of people ripping Jimbo and staff for losing the kids. I think that's a lot of projection. Most are ripping the kids themselves for giving their word, backing out, and then having the nerve to pop off "respect my decision". Jimbo and staff have done, and will continue to do, a hellacious job bringing top tier talent to Aggieland.
piag94
AG
It's not BAS, it just no reason to pay money to a site when kids are flipping.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Great article!
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Lateralus Ag said:

I notice Alabama wasnt on one of your lists. Too bad we have to play them. Every year.
What is the name of the college that can write an article exactly like Olin's and add Alabama to the list (...that's missing Alabama...) and plays Alabama every year?

I'll hang up and listen.
budah
Quote:

If BAS suffering continues? Then just sigh fellas and rewatch the LSU game as often as possible.

My liver barely survived the first go around...
Cynic
Lost key players to a division opponent you can't beat.

Sure things might still be fine but you won't beat Bama by losing top recruits to them
02skiag
AG
Am I the only one that thinks the term BAS is embarrassing? I cringe every time it's posted.
TexanJeff
AG
We will not end at 2 or 3.

We will get jumped by several teams
MaroonMachine
Yep, makes me want to buy a case of TUCKS.
CatmanBoo
"should repeatedly PORE over the list of prospects"

pour spelling.
dixichkn
AG
^^^^ and thank you for not having an Ag tag
knuckle_dragger
AG
We could win the national championship and some people will still find a reason to complain. Good article.
Jacks Smirking BAS
AG
dixichkn said:

And honestly I haven't seen a whole lot of people ripping Jimbo and staff for losing the kids. I think that's a lot of projection. Most are ripping the kids themselves for giving their word, backing out, and then having the nerve to pop off "respect my decision". Jimbo and staff have done, and will continue to do, a hellacious job bringing top tier talent to Aggieland.

If an adult is getting upset that flighty teenage kids change their mind on where to play, the problem isn't with the kid.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I believe in Jimbo, but this stung. It showed that we are not in a position to challenge Bama.

Both would have played for us next year. The cb probably would have started. The LB probably plays STs for Bama and maybe cracks the 2-deep as a soph. The CB will get a chance to play only if the CB who got hurt declares for the draft. Otherwise, he is playing STs for a year or 2.
Triple-T
AG
This is a proud day for the quack Shack. Carry on!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.