Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Quote from Marcus Spears

12,091 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halfastros81
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Kellen Mond - this is what coaching can do.

The last two weeks that A&M beat UK and South Carolina, the A&M teams from the last few seasons lose those games.

The have a lot to be excited about in College Station. This is not a fluke.

First of all, I'm going to break some news. I've had a number of conversations with Jimbo. Jimbo looooves being at Texas A&M. He doesn't just like it. He LOVES it. Scott Woodward, the director of athletics there, is his guy. They've known each other forever. They are committed to turning this program into what we see from Alabama or LSU of the early 2000s. That's their commitment, right?

Peter Burns: 'They have the fan base, they have the facilities, they have the recruiting base and they have the buy in from the university'

Marcus 'Oh they have EVERYthing.'

PB 'Everything that is happening around College Station right now was happening in Tuscaloosa around 2009 and guess what, that became the next big thing'

MS 'It happened in Baton Rouge around 2000. I'm telling you, it's just a matter of time'
Rock1982
AG
That is awesome. Can you post the link?
wangus12
AG
So.....does that mean wait till next year?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It's happening right now.
SpiderM85
theeyetest
Jimbo is a difference maker. I don't know if we lose both of those games against Kentucky and SCAR if Sumlin was still here, but we lose at least one for sure. Teams always mimic their head coaches personalities. You're starting to see the shift in this teams personalities from lackadaisical and unprepared to physical and focused.

This team has completely bought into Jimbo and his vision and things are moving in the right direction. They have the leaders on both sides of the ball (Dodson & Mond) to be really special next year. This is a team that is slowly but surely learning how to play together and to play for each other. I'm excited to turn on the TV and watch them each week to see how they've progressed.
Agsuffering@bulaw
We are probably 2 years from having any shot at the title. (The schedule alone next year would do most teams in)

But the POS media finally realized what we were sitting on. It took hiring Jimbo for those chumps to see it.
My Dad Earl
AG
Link?
Bayside Tiger Ag
POTD!
Little Rock Ag
AG
aggiewhoop1
AG
Pretty sure bama went like 14-0 in 2009.
Muy
AG
*it's happening gif*
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I grabbed it from SEC Rant.
Bottlehead90
AG
The changes and progress are evident!

But my BAS says we lose to state and lsu
Rick Flex
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We are probably 2 years from having any shot at the title. (The schedule alone next year would do most teams in)

But the POS media finally realized what we were sitting on. It took hiring Jimbo for those chumps to see it.
I'm usually a realist type of person, I try not to get drunk on the koolaid, but I truly believe we are even closer than that. I think we are 1 season away from competing for a title or at least getting a playoff birth... even with our schedule. Change happens a lot faster nowadays, recruits are ready to play their first year; coaching, workouts, training has all improved. Jimbo has already changed the hardest thing to change - culture. As far as positions, we just need a cornerback and safety to step up next year (Erick Young, Brian Williams), continual improvement on the offensive line (which I think will happen) and Mond to continue to improve. I know those are big question marks, but like most, I trust this staff.
beerad12man
AG
wangus12 said:

Honestly probably 2020 or 2021 if we are talking actual championships. If we are talking being a good team? We are already there

But what did you expect? Hire a new coach and win it all in year 1 or even 2?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
beerad12man
AG
Tugg Speedman said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I'm usually a realist type of person, I try not to get drunk on the koolaid, but I truly believe we are even closer than that. I think we are 1 season away from competing for a title or at least getting a playoff birth... even with our schedule. Change happens a lot faster nowadays, recruits are ready to play their first year; coaching, workouts, training has all improved. Jimbo has already changed the hardest thing to change - culture. As far as positions, we just need a cornerback and safety to step up next year (Erick Young, Brian Williams), continual improvement on the offensive line (which I think will happen) and Mond to continue to improve. I know those are big question marks, but like most, I trust this staff.

To win it all or get a playoff birth against next years schedule, It takes more than a s and cb stepping up for next year. It takes staying healthy at multiple thin positions such as linebacker. It takes more explosion on offense. It takes The ol improving a great deal. It will take replacing 4 of our front 6(Durham Mack Keke and alaka) which is the main reason we are a good team now. It will likely take all of dodson, madubiuke, Williams, and Sternberger coming back. A lot will have to come together.

I think next years team will be good, but that's a lot of ifs going against what will likely be the toughest schedule in the country next year to be playoff good. Even a normal Bama team(not With tua) might lose 2 games against next years schedule
Agsrback12
Yeah. It's definitely happening.

These recruiting classes are going to be ridiculous. It's doesn't hurt to have guys in the media doing this. Jimbo is the man.
FriscoKid
AG
Good to hear, but this is not new news. I've been high on th koolaid since Jimbo first spoke as an Aggie.
Dr Lane Trowlan
gigemtrev said:

Jimbo is a difference maker. I don't know if we lose both of those games against Kentucky and SCAR if Sumlin was still here, but we lose at least one for sure. Teams always mimic their head coaches personalities. You're starting to see the shift in this teams personalities from lackadaisical and unprepared to physical and focused.

This team has completely bought into Jimbo and his vision and things are moving in the right direction. They have the leaders on both sides of the ball (Dodson & Mond) to be really special next year. This is a team that is slowly but surely learning how to play together and to play for each other. I'm excited to turn on the TV and watch them each week to see how they've progressed.
No, in true Sumlin fashion, we probably win both of those games, move way up in the polls, then, in front of the home crowd at Kyle Field, play like crap and lose to Ole Miss, look sloppy against UAB, let them hang around and make our starters play into the 4th quarter, and then get blown out again by LSU at home. That's a Sumlin season in a nutshell...
RebelAggie
Whiskey!
Gig'em Rebels
NoahAg
Rebuilding in 2019. Champs in 2020!
Rick Flex
AG
beerad12man said:

Tugg Speedman said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

To win it all or get a playoff birth against next years schedule, It takes more than a s and cb stepping up for next year. It takes staying healthy at multiple thin positions such as linebacker. It takes more explosion on offense. It takes The ol improving a great deal. It will take replacing 4 of our front 6(Durham Mack Keke and alaka) which is the main reason we are a good team now. It will likely take all of dodson, madubiuke, Williams, and Sternberger coming back. A lot will have to come together.

I think next years team will be good, but that's a lot of ifs going against what will likely be the toughest schedule in the country next year to be playoff good. Even a normal Bama team(not With tua) might lose 2 games against next years schedule.
Those are valid points but I like who we are replacing the seniors on the DL with - Soph. Brown and Wright. Juniors - Peevy, and Johnson. and Senior Madubuike and Moton. Need production from Clemons but we also have a DE recruit DeMarvin Leal who is the best in the state. I didn't list everyone but that is a fairly deep DL.

I also like our LBers next year: Okeke, Buddy Johnson, Hines and Dodson. Yes health is still a concern as we do not have depth.

Secondary will be improved with O'neal, Carper, and Chattman all coming back. I really think Williams and Young will be good enough to start next year.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Except there is still some national and state media outlets that are pushing the tu narrative and trying their hardest to make them relevant.
The difference is that A&M is setting a good foundation which to build a top 5 program with national title possibilities year in year out (within the next two years). Texas on the other hand is a program in disarray due to the conference they are currently in, it is the weakest P5 conference that really has very little upside, and while you may be the conference champ, you are still a bit of a football chump. It is almost identical to how the SWC in the later years was viewed as........weak!! Plus lets be honest, the current coaching staff at tu doesn't scare anybody and i highly doubt that they can build something lasting with him at the helm.

A&M has EVERYTHING today to build a national program but it took us years to get here............but here we are, no more excuses!!
Artorias
AG
"Next year is our year!" (TM)
AgFan2015
We are missing one thing!!!!

If they don't want to build a permanent building how about the freakin' food truck on Game Days!!!

FriscoKid
AG
Dude! This is about us. Why the hell would you want to bring the sips into the conversation? The difference between our two programs is night and day. What the Jimbo era does has nothing at all to do with them.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I grabbed it from SEC Rant.
Mi gente.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
FriscoKid said:

Dude! This is about us. Why the hell would you want to bring the sips into the conversation? The difference between our two programs is night and day. What the Jimbo era does has nothing at all to do with them.
I was answering this comment, so chill out....dude

"But the POS media finally realized what we were sitting on. It took hiring Jimbo for those chumps to see it."
Jlove1770
AG
Champ Bailey said:

It's happening right now.

Yes it is!
Triple-T
AG
Aggieland loves Jimbo.

Off we go - into Heaven!
eldog569
AG
beerad12man said:

wangus12 said:

Honestly probably 2020 or 2021 if we are talking actual championships. If we are talking being a good team? We are already there

But what did you expect? Hire a new coach and win it all in year 1 or even 2?

Vision 2020!!! Let's do this!

What I love about Jimbo is that it is obvious from his body language that he's extremely happy to be here. The importance of that cannot be underestimated!

The fans need to continue to support him and the program, including packing the stadium even for crappy games. There will be tough times I'm sure, but I think everyone is all-in with Jimbo. We need to step up too and return to being the greatest fans in CFB.

Also, I don't know about everybody else, but I am so glad we stepped up and gave him the contract we did. I've never been more satisfied with an investment by the University as I have been with that move. That along with the redesign of Kyle field set the tone for what sets us apart from every other place. We had the potential for unlimited greatness, and we have laid the foundation. Now Coach has to make it happen!
deadbq03
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I disagree. The media has recognized that we have all the resources in the world since the Fran era when our facilities caught up. I specifically remember an old article that talked about us and UCLA as two schools that have everything going for them but somehow can't put it all together.

And they've frequently made bold predictions (like Herbie calling us a dark horse for the MNC in 2005). Hopefully now we finally have got the guy who can put it all together.
stetson
AG
In the famous words of Jackie Sherrill, "better get your licks in now".
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.