Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Lone Star Top Ten Rankings

21,300 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by StrykerAg
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Based on what I was using roughly 88%. Even Kansas is not as high as you might expect (92%). Texas has no games remaining that are like our game with UAB where it comes out to like 99.8%
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
For the record, I don't think Texas will win out. But I predicted they'd be talked about as contenders by the media, and that is true.

I am quite confident that if they had played our schedule, they'd have 2 or 3 losses.
rosstradamas70
AG
TxAg76 said:

amercer said:

tu has beaten 3 OVER ranked opponents in the last month. Add in all the caveats you want, it's hard not to rank them high.

The problem is in the week to week rankings. They are rank.
they are indeed rank
it would be very easy to not rank them at all
ross skillman 70
hunter2012
AG
Zoremus said:

So what happens when:

• A&M and texas both win out
  • Rest of the SEC east sucks and A&M finishes "3rd" in the SEC
  • Bama and Georgia make the CFP
  • texas misses CFP for losing to Maryland
  • A&M and texas sugar bowl on new years in new Orleans happens.

Just hope the "they have more to gain" people don't apply that regular season scheduling logic to the postseason and dodge a NY6 bowl for the citrus/alamo just to avoid playing texas.

Take it from an die-hard on this issue, I would love nothing better than to beat their asses in a bowl game. However the sips can't use the bowl for politicking since the bowls take care of the details(payouts, ref crews, etc...), which is why they have & will avoid it unless they're confident they'll thump us. Replaying the 2011 game on LHN will start ringing hollow if we crush them in a bowl, and seeing as how that's half their content...
rootube
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Flexbone said:

I assure you, they aren't.
For you:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-playoff-one-loss-teams-best-shot-texas-michigan-miami-washington-florida/u483d9c9zxzr1axq7whvpxial
Well they just beat what may be the best team in their own conference (WVA may have something to say of course) and they are currently in the T10. Sad to say but they are a lot closer to the playoffs than we are. You can put this in the down side column to being the the SEC vs. the B12. On the plus side getting a chance to see them manhandled by Bama would be worth all the horn chest thumping. The other obvious point is that they are probably not going to run the table and none of it will likely matter.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
OU and us would be a pretty close game. I will wait until we play ole Miss before saying either way whether we can beat a team with no defense and tries to score as quick as possible. I think we could replicate what Army did and just keep them off the field as long as possible. They would definitely torch us deep a couple of times.

We would destroy Texas. They have no real offensive talent outside of receiver. Their RB's would get stomped by our Dline. I would take Mond over Ehlinger any day of the week. Their defense is not better than any other Power 5 defense we have played so far this year. As long as Mond doesn't play like Arkansas, then we would beat them 35-14.
ClassOf17
amercer said:

tu has beaten 3 ranked opponents in the last month. Add in all the caveats you want, it's hard not to rank them high.

You're right.

But also how many of those teams will finish ranked?

Our two losses will be playing each other in the national championship. We also just beat #13 at home.
bwmammoth
AG
1 loss to Maryland is much worse than 2 losses to BAMA and Clemson!
tjack16
AG
bwmammoth said:

But 3 wins over USC, TCU and OU are a lot better than wins over UK and Arky
Artorias
AG
tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

We will see when the season is over.

USC and TCU do not look good this year.
tjack16
AG
mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying to this point t.u. has a better resume than we do. So they deserve the top spot for now
Krautag81
gigemtrev said:

All the teasips are out on Facebook saying they're playoff locks at this point. I had one go as far to tell me that they'd win the SEC.
The heck with tu, they have no bearing on what happens to us. Everyone knows the SEC is the best conference, all we need to do is support our team and ignore those arrogant sip trolls.
JPK89
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Y'all realize that Texas is squarely in the playoff picture, right?

Now that they have beaten TCU and OU, they will be favored except for WVU. Win that and have some things fall their way, and they could actually sneak in.

Not sure you can use the word sneak if they're squarely in the playoff picture.
Artorias
AG
tjholley16 said:

mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying to this point t.u. has a better resume than we do. So they deserve the top spot for now
Yes, TCU and USC are better wins than ULM and NW St.

Arky is on par with either, IMHO, pre-season rankings aside.
bwmammoth
AG
Road wins over South Carolina, Miss St., and Auburn coming up!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Win those three and we're a solid #10 in AP.
Artimus Gordon
Tech has a better defense than Oklahoma. That has to scare the hell out of Oklahoma. You had to figure that Lincoln Riley was going to morph into kliff kingsbury in due time.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If the Big 12 wants a team in the playoff, they need to pray that Notre Dame drops a game. If Notre Dame goes undefeated, going to throw a real monkey wrench in things.
monarch
S
Worry about TAMU and not tu. Please.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

Tcu is a 3 star talent team that is turning the ball over a lot this year. Unless, the turnovers stop, they will lose 4-5 games.
USC is not good but will end up with a decent record because the pac-12 is so weak they this year.
Ou has a great offense but no defense, over ranked but will have a good record due to soft schedule.
PacifistAg
AG
Yep. At this point, there are only 5 schools that don't need "help"...Bama, Georgia, ND, Clemson and OSU. 4 of those 5 win out, and there's nothing there BIg12 or Pac 12 can do. An undefeated WVU team is not getting in ahead of any of these teams.

Of course, the odds of 4 or more undefeated teams at the end of the season seems like a longshot, even though each of their schedules are very manageable. Things happen.
ahlongslide
AG
The SEC championship will take care of one of those undefeated teams.
PacifistAg
AG
ahlongslide said:

Yes, I included both because they both have the same path....win and they're in. But obviously only 4 of those 5 could actually finish the year undefeated. If that happens, it doesn't matter what anyone else does, whether WVU, UCF or Colorado do.

I think the biggest hurdle for any of the teams, outside of a Bama/Georgia SEC title game, is NC State/Clemson. I fully expect NC State to win that game, which then opens the door for the Big 12 champ or if Colorado runs the table in the Pac 12.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Jeckyl and Hide
"What's this button do?"
Actual Talking Thermos
Zoremus said:

So what happens when:

• A&M and texas both win out
  • Rest of the SEC east sucks and A&M finishes "3rd" in the SEC
  • Bama and Georgia make the CFP
  • texas misses CFP for losing to Maryland
  • A&M and texas sugar bowl on new years in new Orleans happens.

Just hope the "they have more to gain" people don't apply that regular season scheduling logic to the postseason and dodge a NY6 bowl for the citrus/alamo just to avoid playing texas.
As a Texas fan, if we capped a 13-1 season with back-to-back wins over OU and A&M I would probably die and it would be worth it
DSAG
I agree with this assessment.
I do not believe West Virginia will run the table in the B12 so the B12 will probably be left out of the playoff again.
cevans_40
AG
tangelox said:

I think Texas vs A&M Texas would be a good game right now with either home team a slight favorite, both are headed in the right direction. A & Ms secondary would be a horrible match up vs OU at this point, Mond would have to play mistake free football to keep it close, he's been Jeckyl and Hide in this area. A&M and Texas both seem to play up and down to their opponents so maybe he would shine in such a game.

Mond and Williams/Corbin/Etwi/Koboti/Jackson/somebody else we have never heard of would run for close to 500 yards against the abomination that is the OU defense.
DayAg!
S
Every damn game tu has played looks like a pillow fight. Every team they played was inept and overrated. Every one. USC was a joke going in. OU tripped around and almost got beat by Army. Army, for goodness sakes.TCU turned the ball over 4 times. Not one team they have played has any semblance of a defense. What would be their record and rank playing A&M's schedule. How many games would they win playing in the SEC west. tu ain't sheit and they ain't back in that ****ty conference.
Your Friend
0-6, man!
usmcbrooks
tjholley16 said:

mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

How so?
bv86ag
AG
Anybody even remotely floating the idea that tu could compete in the SEC is smoking crack. The BDF is full of spread offenses with no physicality at the line of scrimmage....and would get absolutely pounded at the line.

As far as someone saying t.u. could be in the playoff picture..again...crack smoker.

In case you folks don't study football history....here's a sage, wise quote from an old coach who once won 6 National Titles to a reporter who asked what it takes to win a natty.

"First....Notre Dame has to lose."

Notre Dame will not lose again...their schedule is pathetic the rest of the way.

Bama.
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Clemson.

These will be the playoff teams.

tjack16
AG
usmcbrooks said:

tjholley16 said:

mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

How so?

Texas:

- 4 power 5 wins (USC, TCU, KState, OU)
- 1 win over a top 10 opponent on a neutral field
- 5-1 record

A&M

- 2 power five wins (Arkansas, Kentucky)
- 1 win over a top 20 opponent at home
- 4-2 record

If you take an unbiased look at it, they have the better resume to this point.
cevans_40
AG
tjholley16 said:

usmcbrooks said:

tjholley16 said:

mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

How so?

Texas:

- 5-1 record

A&M

- 4-2 record

No. An unbiased look would be to watch all the games each team has played and take into account the quality of each oppenent and come to a conclusion as to who the better team actually is. Using the rankings created by sportswriters who watch more HGTV than football to create your rankings is the very definition if bias.
tjack16
AG
cevans_40 said:

tjholley16 said:

usmcbrooks said:

tjholley16 said:

mugwurt said:

tjholley16 said:

bwmammoth said:

How so?

Texas:

- 5-1 record

A&M

- 4-2 record

No. An unbiased look would be to watch all the games each team has played and take into account the quality of each oppenent and come to a conclusion as to who the better team actually is. Using the rankings created by sportswriters who watch more HGTV than football to create your rankings is the very definition if bias.

I only mentioned one stat that had to do with rankings
jonj101
PacifistAg said:

ahlongslide said:

Yes, I included both because they both have the same path....win and they're in. But obviously only 4 of those 5 could actually finish the year undefeated. If that happens, it doesn't matter what anyone else does, whether WVU, UCF or Colorado do.

I think the biggest hurdle for any of the teams, outside of a Bama/Georgia SEC title game, is NC State/Clemson. I fully expect NC State to win that game, which then opens the door for the Big 12 champ or if Colorado runs the table in the Pac 12.
This is where I'm still a little confused by the committee picks. If Bama & GA meet in the SEC championship as expected, even with one loss either one of those teams are better ND, Clemson, Washington, or any team from the BDF.

However in the event the steers go undefeated and the view is the playoff is about the 4 best teams in cfb, even with the Maryland loss I think the temptation would be there to put them in - only to see them get destroyed in the first game. If WVU shows up that whole point is irrelevant though.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.