Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A Theory......is A&M a nerd school?

13,442 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by biobioprof
Magneto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Football related in that the majority of the ultra-smart haven't been around football in high school and therefore don't know how to conduct themselves at Kyle Field to make it loud (maybe things have changed per the Clemson game and a new coach). They are football stupid.

A&M is so popular right now, they are having to continually limit who gets in by academics. They will let you in if you are in the top 25% holistically but that top 25% from 25 years ago is a lot different than the top 25% from today.
Aston04
AG
When I had to ref corps intramural basketball games I was convinced of this.
45-70Ag
AG
Can't wait until we hit 100,000 students
Danimal
AG
No doubt. I've lived out of state for a long time and the aggies I meet are usually nerds.
Magneto
AG
My kid is in the top 25% with a great resume but I'm not sure she wants to go there anymore due to the nerd factor. Arkansas and OU seem to be more popular on the cool front.

I have a serious problem brewing and I'm pissed
unimboti nkum
AG
Here4Beer
AG
Magneto said:

My kid is in the top 25% with a great resume but I'm not sure she wants to go there anymore due to the nerd factor. Arkansas and OU seem to be more popular on the cool front.

This guy! How about you post a picture of your daughter and I'll tell you if she's hot enough to be considered cool at A&M.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Here4Beer said:

Magneto said:

This guy! How about you post a picture of your daughter and I'll tell you if she's hot enough to be considered cool at A&M.

Sponge
AG
We need to pull in more students from rural alabama. That should fix the nerd issue.
Agijud
AG
Just a correction...only Top 10% getting in. My son was top 15%, 4 year varsity Letterman, 4 year First Team All District, Class President, spent 2 summers in Poland with Young Life Europe, and more, and still got passed over. Its crazy, stupid hard to get in now.
Ihatefallscounty
AG
uhhhh.....the amount of beer I drank in college, would power the North American Continent in a wave turbine. Sometimes I look back and ask, how did I not die?

So no......Nerd Schools wouldn't have been the biggest party of my life.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
TecRecAg
AG
Or.... you just go to Blinn for a year and get accepted rather easily.
Magneto
AG
Agijud said:

Just a correction...only Top 10% getting in. My son was top 15%, 4 year varsity Letterman, 4 year First Team All District, Class President, spent 2 summers in Poland with Young Life Europe, and more, and still got passed over. Its crazy, stupid hard to get in now.

That's hard to believe based upon the slides the admission department showed. 25% of last year's incoming freshman were in the top 25%. He must have tanked SAT/ACT???

Flexbone
Magneto said:

Great decision making.
V8Aggie
AG
Wife graduated summa cum laude with her masters and I have a doctorate (though from another school).

We yell and scream the whole damn time. I don't think nerdiness or being ultra smart is the issue. Those also don't run together as I am not a nerd (at least not in public). My wife's opinion would say otherwise though.

The issue is with kids being so damn anti-social and weird these days. (I am only 32)
wangus12
AG
Magneto said:

Tell her that you aren't paying for **** unless she goes to A&M. She'll wallow in student debt for the rest of her life.
Bill Superman
AG
We make money, what's there to gripe about? Money gets the hotties regardless.

University is generally for nerds, Texas A&M just has some of the better ones.

I ran with a rowdy crowd throughout my years there, but we had a few rowdy nerds that liked to tag along at times.
bero88
Sponge said:

We need to pull in more students from rural alabama. That should fix the nerd issue.
Or just accept everyone from Dime Box
oldord
AG
Aston04 said:

When I had to ref corps intramural basketball games I was convinced of this.
I would agree with you on the university as a whole with the Corps being a snapshot of the admissions and social considerations taken in admissions. The corps used to be primarily guys who wanted more of a challenge and a bit of a fraternal aspect while doing the whole patriotic component.

I would also say that when A&M was considered a "Country" school, folks came in with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. About 1/3 of the kids wanted to be the underdog.

It has now become a bit of a social experiment and you can see that in the entire university as a whole as well with folks who qualify academically but have not achieved social competency yet.

One thing I do see is that many do grow out of nerdery as they get closer to graduation.....
aglaes
AG
How many of the international students attend football games? Probably not that many, as I don't think they have much interest in American football.
txagbear
Tons of nerds. I guarantee you that those q followers on the politics board all grew up playing dungeons and dragons
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Magneto said:

Football related in that the majority of the ultra-smart haven't been around football in high school and therefore don't know how to conduct themselves at Kyle Field to make it loud (maybe things have changed per the Clemson game and a new coach). They are football stupid.

A&M is so popular right now, they are having to continually limit who gets in by academics. They will let you in if you are in the top 25% holistically but that top 25% from 25 years ago is a lot different than the top 25% from today.

Or, there are thousands of people (young and old) in the stands who just wave a 12th man towel and don't bother yelling.
BenFiasco14
AG
Agijud said:

Sounds like your kid wasn't the right skin color to get preferential admission. Sorry.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Showstopper
AG
V8Aggie said:

Wife graduated sigma cum laude with her masters and I have a doctorate (though from another school).

We yell and scream the whole damn time. I don't think nerdiness or being ultra smart is the issue. Those also don't run together as I am not a nerd (at least not in public). My wife's opinion would say otherwise though.

The issue is with kids being so damn anti-social and weird these days. (I am only 32)
Summa. Summa cum laude.

Was the other school Texas Tech? They have an excellent Logistical and Supply Management program for low cost mass production Italian restaurants.
BlueAg2003
AG
It is not nearly as tough academically as Michigan or Notre Dame and those schools seem to do just fine on fanbases and student support.
TxAg76
AG
Showstopper said:

V8Aggie said:

Wife graduated sigma cum laude with her masters and I have a doctorate (though from another school).

Summa. Summa cum laude.

Was the other school Texas Tech? They have an excellent Logistical and Supply Management program for low cost mass production Italian restaurants.

I graduated Thank Ya Laude....
88jrt06
AG
"And all my nerdy friends have settled down...."
Cibalo
BlueAg2003 said:

It is not nearly as tough academically as Michigan or Notre Dame and those schools seem to do just fine on fanbases and student support.
I was at the ND vs Vandy game last week. The crowd was not into the game at all. Temp was in the mid 80's but humidity was up and no shade. It was hot but not 2PM 1st week in Sept at Kyle hot. alumni and students started leaving half way through the 1st Qt and it just keep thinning out. the stadium ran out of bottled water by halftime.

Now the ND crowd in general will show up in mass on game day and spend tons of money. They have a lot of pride in their school as they should. ND also has a lot of support from the Catholic community nationally which help. However for a football game the atmosphere it isn't anywhere close to that of A&M.
Miles711
AG
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Agijud said:

Sounds like your kid wasn't the right skin color to get preferential admission. Sorry.

People that always play the race card
V8Aggie
AG
Showstopper said:

V8Aggie said:

Summa. Summa cum laude.

Jesus... I said Summa in my head and typed sigma. Ugh...

At least I can count on you guys
GSPag`
The world changes. If you think we have problem with nerds and are concerned about our school. Go spend 30 minutes wandering around the 40 acres. You will realize we are not having any problems at all.

If a kid wants to get into A&M and is not qualified, then there are other ways. It may take a year or two, but it can happen with hard work and commitment.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I think it's kind of hard for a school with 60,000 students to be a "nerd school"...
JSKolache
AG
Every kid is now a nerd. Even the athletes' faces are buried in phone screens for hours and hours every day.
agnerd
AG
You have to be a nerd now to get into business or engineering. But everyone else is still a normal millennial with their heads buried in their phone all day every day.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.