Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A Theory......is A&M a nerd school?

13,508 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by biobioprof
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Current student here and I would say that we have a ton of nerds!
AG
Magneto said:

My kid is in the top 25% with a great resume but I'm not sure she wants to go there anymore due to the nerd factor. Arkansas and OU seem to be more popular on the cool front.

I have a serious problem brewing and I'm pissed

OU and Arkansas are popular for the same reasons TT and Ole Miss are popular.

They are easy to get into.
Indignitas
AG
I think you can just look at the level of discourse on TexAgs over the last 20 years and see that (politics board notwithstanding) it's ratcheting up. Nowadays "should of" and "intensive purposes" are rarely seen, "you're" and "your" are almost always used correctly, and it's only really advanced things like "beg the question" that people still get wrong most of the time.

You *could* infer something about the student body from that.
88jrt06
AG
I respectfully disagree.
It's worse.
101%Ag
V8Aggie said:

Wife graduated summa cum laude with her masters and I have a doctorate (though from another school).

We yell and scream the whole damn time.
Take it to the Politics board.

Oh, wait....
C Loves L
Magneto said:

My kid is in the top 25% with a great resume but I'm not sure she wants to go there anymore due to the nerd factor. Arkansas and OU seem to be more popular on the cool front.

I have a serious problem brewing and I'm pissed

It's never to late to adopt her out
101%Ag
Indignitas said:

I think you can just look at the level of discourse on TexAgs over the last 20 years and see that (politics board notwithstanding) it's ratcheting up. Nowadays "should of" and "intensive purposes" are rarely seen, "you're" and "your" are almost always used correctly, and it's only really advanced things like "beg the question" that people still get wrong most of the time.

And yet here we are in the SEC. Something is not lining up.
Jacks Smirking BAS
AG
Indignitas said:

If it means fewer ******s on TexAgs, I'm ok with A&M being a nerd school. Being a nerd isn't the same level of social stigma it used to be anyways.
tk for tu juan
Are we trying to act like we were not a nerd school in the 90's and earlier?
NicosMachine
AG
Aston04 said:

When I had to ref corps intramural basketball games I was convinced of this.
The Corps consistently commissions more ROTC officers than any institution in the country.While sitting in your parent's basement and playing Call of Duty may be considered by many as "cool", I would contend that the nerd-factor is a function of the increased non-reg population.
JJxvi
AG
GSPag` said:

The world changes. If you think we have problem with nerds and are concerned about our school. Go spend 30 minutes wandering around the 40 acres. You will realize we are not having any problems at all.

Those are just Asians.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
searly66 said:

Aston04 said:

When I had to ref corps intramural basketball games I was convinced of this.
The Corps consistently commissions more ROTC officers than any institution in the country.While sitting in your parent's basement and playing Call of Duty may be considered by many as "cool", I would contend that the nerd-factor is a function of the increased non-reg population.

No, majority of the guys in the corps I come across on a daily basis are dorks. Non-reg friends of mine agree. Nothing wrong with it, and I'm friends with a decent amount of them, it's just an easy observation to make
Geno
AG
dont we have a national powerhouse Quidditch team?
ntxVol
Meh, you Aggies have always been a little different IMO.
MD20/20
AG
I graduated Laude How'd I make It
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
WTM
The Corps does not have the most commissioned officers for ANY institution. West Point commissions 1000 annually. In 2018 TAMU commissioned 211 officers in all branches, the highest number since 1980. VMI is close as they graduate about 400 students per year with a 50% commission rate. The Citadel averages 600 graduates with a 30% commission rate.

As for admissions, if you are not in the top 10% you can apply for admission by academic standard. You need a 30 ACT or a 1360 SAT (at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing) and MUST be in the top 25% of your graduating class. This is why you see a number of freshman not in the top 10%.

It is much harder to get into A&M now than in the 90's.
WTM
That being said, I do not believe it makes it a Nerd school. I believe it makes A&M a nationally recognized university for academics and excellence. The move to the SEC has really brought attention to the academic programs at A&M and now you see the University on many lists for top schools, best value, etc. These are groups that completely ignored the school 10 years ago. If anything the reputation has grown significantly from the 80's and 90's and I do not personally think people see that as "Nerd" so much they do as quality in education.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I'd be more inclined to call them dorks more than nerds.
Blackhorse83
AG
Daughter graduated from HS in Arizona. Went to Blinn, got her ring today. Many paths to the ultimate goal. Keep the faith. Gig'em '83.
The Lost
Cibalo said:

BlueAg2003 said:

It is not nearly as tough academically as Michigan or Notre Dame and those schools seem to do just fine on fanbases and student support.
I was at the ND vs Vandy game last week. The crowd was not into the game at all. Temp was in the mid 80's but humidity was up and no shade. It was hot but not 2PM 1st week in Sept at Kyle hot. alumni and students started leaving half way through the 1st Qt and it just keep thinning out. the stadium ran out of bottled water by halftime.

Now the ND crowd in general will show up in mass on game day and spend tons of money. They have a lot of pride in their school as they should. ND also has a lot of support from the Catholic community nationally which help. However for a football game the atmosphere it isn't anywhere close to that of A&M.
Uh as someone who was also there it was no different than the ags vs ulm or other blah game. it was there 3rd home game in a row. It started out just as full as a&m would... your blinders are on if you think the same doesn't happen at kyle.

As someone who has been to 10+ stadiums, some for top 10 match ups and some for boring games, no stadium is loud/cares about meh games and they all get up for big games. No place is special in that regard.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Big difference between playing Vanderbilt and ULM... And the scores of the games show that as Notre Dame only won by like 5 I believe.
94 Killer
AG
WTM said:

The Corps does not have the most commissioned officers for ANY institution. West Point commissions 10000+ annually
It's closer to a thousand (class of 2017 was 936).
jrhmc
AG
Magneto said:

Agijud said:

Just a correction...only Top 10% getting in. My son was top 15%, 4 year varsity Letterman, 4 year First Team All District, Class President, spent 2 summers in Poland with Young Life Europe, and more, and still got passed over. Its crazy, stupid hard to get in now.

That's hard to believe based upon the slides the admission department showed. 25% of last year's incoming freshman were in the top 25%. He must have tanked SAT/ACT???

From talking to admissions counselors, SAT/ACT matters more than class rank after top 10%. They do have a guaranteed admission score for both.
gettingitdone
Magneto,,,so the other 75% were at least in the top 10%? Another thing to consider is GPA perhaps? In some places,,,,at 3.8 gets you in the top 25% of a school, where as in other schools, 4.6 GPA only gets you in the 5-10% of other schools. I am not trying to knock any other school district by any means, but top 25% in a school like Gause, probably isn't equivalent to top 25% in College Station.
Seven Costanza
AG
A lot of top-level high school students are really well-rounded, good-looking, athletic, socially adept, and driven to succeed. The stereotypical socially awkward "nerds" often aren't particularly successful academically.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Considering how easy it is to get in now I don't think that's a problem
halfastros81
AG
My son was an auto qualifier and was raised right . He has known the War Hym, etc since jr high. He went to A & M for 2 semesters and transferred because he didn't like it. One of the factors he cited was too many people that didn't talk to one another or socialize normally or were not interested in outdoor activities like hunting, fishing , football fandom, etc. he also says the students and faculty are too focused on the school's academic reputation rather than learning and teaching. All of those things could fall in the description of nerdity imo. I didn't agree with all of his reasons for transferring but do I believe there Is some truth In what the op suggests.

Where he is now is significantly smaller and the one thing he has said is that the accessibility to profs, ta's, resources is much easier. He has also found it easier to make friends.

All of this has surprised me because my A & M experience was very, very different than his. No doubt in hindsight it was some of the best years of my life and that was what I expected him to experience. A & M has changed culturally imo. Some for the better and some for the worse.
NicosMachine
AG
WTM said:

The Corps does not have the most commissioned officers for ANY institution. West Point commissions 10000+ annually.

Nobody said the Corps has the most commissioned officers (but they do commission the most of any ROTC) and West Point has a total enrollment of about 4,400 so there is no way they commission 10000 officers per year.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
There are right around 60,000 undergrads now. You will see nerds, jocks, freaks, band geeks, etc at A&M. It is a large engineering school though, so you will see a lot of nerds. Almost half of the people who start in engineering end up switching majors though, so it's not like every engineer is some super nerd.
WTM
searly66 said:

Nobody said the Corps has the most commissioned officers (but they do commission the most of any ROTC) and West Point has a total enrollment of about 4,400 so there is no way they commission 10000 officers per year.
Searly, above you stated "The Corps consistently commissions more ROTC officers than any institution in the country." I assumed you meant service academies as well as you stated any institution, not any non service academy ROTC program.

On the number I was off slightly. Westpoint commissioned 936 last year.
Seven Costanza
AG
WTM said:

searly66 said:

Searly, above you stated "The Corps consistently commissions more ROTC officers than any institution in the country." I assumed you meant service academies as well as you stated any institution, not any non service academy ROTC program.

On the number I was off slightly. Westpoint commissioned 936 last year.
I might be misinterpreting your point, but the service academies are not ROTC programs.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Magneto said:

Football related in that the majority of the ultra-smart haven't been around football in high school and therefore don't know how to conduct themselves at Kyle Field to make it loud (maybe things have changed per the Clemson game and a new coach). They are football stupid.

A&M is so popular right now, they are having to continually limit who gets in by academics. They will let you in if you are in the top 25% holistically but that top 25% from 25 years ago is a lot different than the top 25% from today.

So I graduated in 2002. Trust me, they are not making it harder to get into A&M. In fact the vast majority of the idiots currently in attendance wouldn't have sniffed Blinn's jock in the late 90's.

We are a diploma mill. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, snowflakes.
cevans_40
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Magneto said:

Football related in that the majority of the ultra-smart haven't been around football in high school and therefore don't know how to conduct themselves at Kyle Field to make it loud (maybe things have changed per the Clemson game and a new coach). They are football stupid.

A&M is so popular right now, they are having to continually limit who gets in by academics. They will let you in if you are in the top 25% holistically but that top 25% from 25 years ago is a lot different than the top 25% from today.

So I graduated in 2002. Trust me, they are not making it harder to get into A&M. In fact the vast majority of the idiots currently in attendance wouldn't have sniffed Blinn's jock in the late 90's.

What industry do you work in? Just curious.
BRAVEAG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Magneto said:

What are you even talking about? Competitiveness for the top 10% has only gone up. Highschools are getting harder/offering more challenging courses and colleges more competitive. You just enjoy thinking everyone younger than you must have the intellectual capacity of a fruit fly. All to feed your ego and believing that 2002 counts as old army or something.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Trust me,
I think I speak for the entire board when I say "No."
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.