Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

44-45... A Blessing in Disguise

17,700 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NyAggie
dBoy99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Who the hell says crootin?

That's just stupid.

Who the hell says it twice in the same post?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

People said the same thing when we lost to sip in 2011.

#justsayin
I think it's true. Had we won that game, we would have rolled into the SEC with Sleepy Sherm (who did NOT want us to move to the SEC) and Jameill Showers as our starting QB.

I'm no Sumlin fan, but we're better off now having had that 2012 season. With Sherman and Showers, that season would have been totally different. Losing to the sips in 2011 was a blessing in disguise.
Bill Superman
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

AggieAces06 said:

Who the hell says crootin?

That's just stupid.

Older folks trying to mix it up with younger folks. Hoping they relate. Unfortunately for that gentleman, most of us aren't young. Just say recruiting and give up the "I'm cool" bit. Also, who says "The Station"? That was a brutal post.

Y'all 16 year old twitter following types offend easy. Don't get too worked up about these croots, we're getting all the best ones these days anyways[/q
King O Frod
Rendered Fat said:

"The Station"?

Please don't ever say this again. Wow.

Yeah, everyone cool says C-Stat!
dixichkn
AG
I was there. First and only gave I've ever walked out of before the final gun in absolute disgust (and that even includes 59-0). Because I knew exactly what was going to happen. And it did. I kinda get what you're getting at, OP, but no. There was NOTHING about that game that was a blessing. That game wasn't the tipping point to firing Summy. The rest of the season would've borne that out. Sumlin was a goner anyway. That one just kinda broke the camel's back.
99 Luft
We are probably the most supportive alum/fan base in the nation, but sometimes that support turns to blind, dutiful optimism. It can be a fault.

That UCLA game may very well prove to have been a program-changing, turning point, but identifying it as such this early (before Jimbo has coached a single down of real-game football) could turn this entire situation into the world's biggest Aggie joke.

That "blessing" in my opinion, is yet another in a long, long, LONG list of complete and total disasters disguised so well that we are all fooled into believing that a total face-plant like the UCLA game is not the result of pure, unadulterated incompetence that has cost our athletic department millions of dollars.

I am glad we have Jimbo.

BUT

The UCLA game, in my opinion, was no blessing.
Bill Superman
AG
dixichkn said:

I was there. First and only gave I've ever walked out of before the final gun in absolute disgust. Because I knew exactly what was going to happen. And it did. I kinda get what you're getting at, OP, but no. There was NOTHING about that game that was a blessing. That game wasn't the tipping point to firing Summy. The rest of the season would've borne that out. Sumlin was a goner anyway. That one just kinda broke the camel's back.

With that contract I'm not so sure we would have canned Sumlin with that win, and we also would not have been reaching out to Fisher at that time either. The record breaking collapse along with it being in the 2nd half fit the narrative came at the perfect time for us to establish contact with Fisher and lure in.

Devastating loss no doubt, but at just the right time to start looking for our replacement to make the best hire possible.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I think superman is upset because someone spit on his cape.

AGinHI
AG
pepe the dog said:

I think superman is upset because someone spit on his cape.

Tugged.

He's upset because someone tugged on his cape.

Then, spit into the wind.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
ELGINAG
AG
Sumlin MIGHT have still been gone, but would Woodward still have pulled the trigger if he hadn't had Jimbo lined up to take the job? Or would we have settled for a less successful coach? Timing is everything.
Bill Superman
AG
ELGINAG said:

Sumlin MIGHT have still been gone, but would Woodward still have pulled the trigger if he hadn't had Jimbo lined up to take the job? Or would we have settled for a less successful coach? Timing is everything.

This guys gets it. All these BAS having zoo animals scrounging for every bit of negativity they can muster can kick rocks the rest of their lives... i'll Be riding that Jimbo train for the next decade.

It was the timing of all of this that allowed us to land the coup on the offseason. I don't know a single Ag outside of the zoo that had this much confidence and this high of expectations in a hire since letting go Slocum...
99 Luft
ELGINAG said:

I agree that the timing was most definitely a blessing. That gave Woodward a huge head start on anyone with the will and the jack to steal Jimbo, to the point where it was a done deal before any serious challenge even took a look.

HOWEVER...

The spectacular fashion in which our football team face planted from a 30 story building into a 3-inch-deep swimming pool filled with razorblades and diarrhea juice was absolutely NOT a blessing. As if that were not sufficient humiliation, we have a constant e-reminder of how the face was at terminal velocity when it planted. EFFING........PIMP STICK.

The embarrassment we will continue to suffer via pimp stick is enough for Jimbo to ban all similar celebrations until maroon and white confetti is falling after the National Championship Game.
Bill Superman
AG
PacifistAg
AG
Bill said:

We currently sit at #2 in overall crootin rankings (with arguably the #1 class)
I'm not sure who would argue we have the #1 class. Bama, the team currently ahead of us, has 15 4/5-star commits. Only 1 3-star. Their avg player rating (per 247) is 93.81, whereas ours is 89.82. Then you have Georgia, currently at #6. They have 10 commits...3 5-stars and 7 4-stars, w/ an avg of 95.16.

I love our class, but a quick glance at the top-50 in the team rankings shows that we have the most commits of anyone. That's partly why we're ranked #2 overall. I expect we'll finish in the top-10 overall, which is great. But if you look at the classes right now, I don't think anyone would argue ours is best.
Deputy Travis Junior
Lots of underperforming teams manage to fire coaches without first suffering through arguably the worst comeback loss in college football history. I would have preferred that tactic myself and skipped this "blessing."
1st Generation Ag
99 Luft said:

The embarrassment we will continue to suffer via pimp stick is enough for Jimbo to ban all similar celebrations until maroon and white confetti is falling after the National Championship Game.

I distinctly remember all the blue, green, and gold confetti that fell on the WBB team when they beat Notre Dame to win the Final Four. Something tells me they didn't think we would pull it off. Being detail-oriented, I'm sure Jimbo will make sure the right color confetti is loaded before we win it all.
Triple-T
AG
That game was worse than 59-0 vs. bama. You don't get beat that badly without the players mailing it in.

Losing 45-44 was just complete and utter ineptitude on our coaching staff. We literally could have taken a kneed every single play we had the ball starting in the 3rd Quarter and still gotten the W.

Gig 'em.
Bill Superman
AG
RetiredAg said:

Bill said:

I'm not sure who would argue we have the #1 class. Bama, the team currently ahead of us, has 15 4/5-star commits. Only 1 3-star. Their avg player rating (per 247) is 93.81, whereas ours is 89.82. Then you have Georgia, currently at #6. They have 10 commits...3 5-stars and 7 4-stars, w/ an avg of 95.16.

I love our class, but a quick glance at the top-50 in the team rankings shows that we have the most commits of anyone. That's partly why we're ranked #2 overall. I expect we'll finish in the top-10 overall, which is great. But if you look at the classes right now, I don't think anyone would argue ours is best.

I would argue we have the #1 class because, as you stated, we have the most commits. This coupled with the fact that the star rating is not gospel and even if it was, we have multiple players that will be getting a higher ranking at the next evaluation period.

It's nice to have a coach that does his own evaluations rather than relying on a simple star rating.
Bill Superman
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Lots of underperforming teams manage to fire coaches without first suffering through arguably the worst comeback loss in college football history. I would have preferred that tactic myself and skipped this "blessing."

I think we all would have preferred this - doesn't change the fact that it was the final nail in the coffin at the right time to initiate our contact with Jimbo
rrtodds
AG
Enjoyed the ticket prices after we were completely deflated at the Rose Bowl.

Paid $15, $15, $25, $25, $20 for seats in 246. Could have paid $25 for Bama tics but was out of town. Finally paid the big bucks for the last game sitting in Field Box 3 ... for $35 per.

... not this year!
alamoaggie 64
Don't think so. He would have been gone anyway.
Bill Superman
AG
alamoaggie 64 said:

Don't think so. He would have been gone anyway.

If that were the case he would've been gone prior to last season. The 2nd half comeback loss fit the narrative that Sumlin didn't prepare the team to endure a full season or even an entire game and therefore sealed his fate. Not to mention, this was a ncaa record breaking comeback loss.

Another 8-4 season with a young team full of freshmen is hardly a Fite able offense with a contract such as his.
swc93
AG
Quote:

It was this loss that we first heard the rumors of Jimbo to aTm.
We did? I don't remember hearing any rumors about Jimbo.
PacifistAg
AG
Bill Superman said:

RetiredAg said:

Bill said:

I would argue we have the #1 class because, as you stated, we have the most commits. This coupled with the fact that the star rating is not gospel and even if it was, we have multiple players that will be getting a higher ranking at the next evaluation period.

It's nice to have a coach that does his own evaluations rather than relying on a simple star rating.
Having the most commits is in no way a sign of the better class. I'm also not saying the star ratings are gospel, or that a coach should recruit based on them. They do exist for a reason, and it's no surprise that teams like Bama, Ohio State, etc are always loading up on 4/5 stars and are always in the title hunt. I'm pretty sure Saban and Meyer do their own evaluations as well, and it's odd how their evaluations tend to result in a high number of highly rated recruits.

Based on current commitments, I think it's safe to say that by NSD, we'll be behind Bama, OSU and Georgia. That isn't a knock on our class, but just a comment on how strong those teams typically recruit.
Bill Superman
AG
RetiredAg said:

Bill Superman said:

RetiredAg said:

Bill said:

Having the most commits is in no way a sign of the better class. I'm also not saying the star ratings are gospel, or that a coach should recruit based on them. They do exist for a reason, and it's no surprise that teams like Bama, Ohio State, etc are always loading up on 4/5 stars and are always in the title hunt. I'm pretty sure Saban and Meyer do their own evaluations as well, and it's odd how their evaluations tend to result in a high number of highly rated recruits.

Based on current commitments, I think it's safe to say that by NSD, we'll be behind Bama, OSU and Georgia. That isn't a knock on our class, but just a comment on how strong those teams typically recruit.

It is when they are all just as highly rated. And I wouldn't call it odd at all when these universities end up with highly rated recruits, it's just more lazy evaluations from these pundits based on who's recruiting who. Just look at the sips last class a little closer, hardly a #3 overall class, there's a lot more that goes into than a simple star rating.

Being up there next to bama, Georgia and osu is nothing to turn your nose up at. I'll take that every year, and when you dig a little deeper, things aren't always as they appear.
PacifistAg
AG
Bill Superman said:

RetiredAg said:

Bill Superman said:

RetiredAg said:

Bill said:

It is when they are all just as highly rated. And I wouldn't call it odd at all when these universities end up with highly rated recruits, it's just more lazy evaluations from these pundits based on who's recruiting who. Just look at the sips last class a little closer, hardly a #3 overall class, there's a lot more that goes into than a simple star rating.

Being up there next to bama, Georgia and osu is nothing to turn your nose up at. I'll take that every year, and when you dig a little deeper, things aren't always as they appear.
But that's the thing. They aren't just as highly rated as the recruits from Bama, Georgia, OSU, etc. If it's just lazy evaluations, and the elite programs are getting the top players based on those lazy evaluations, and those same programs are constantly in the title hunt year in and year out, then perhaps the evaluations aren't that far off. And per 247, the sips aren't at #3, so I'm not sure where you're looking. They're at #11 per 247.

Of course there's a lot more than just star ratings. Nobody is saying otherwise. There is a correlation though. Many of the same schools that are regularly at the top of the final recruiting rankings (driven by star/player ratings) are also the same schools that regularly compete for titles.

And nobody is turning their nose up at anything. We've got a great class. I'm thrilled with the class. It's not the best class in America though. It feels needs for A&M, but if you're just looking at the quality of player teams are getting, I don't see how one could argue ours is best. Maybe top-5 right now. But you're right. When you dig deeper you see that the current #2 spot is, in part, driven by sheer number of commits. Want to say we have a better class, so far, than Clemson, go ahead. Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama? I'm not buying it.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Just look at the sips last class a little closer, hardly a #3 overall class, there's a lot more that goes into than a simple star rating.

But that's the thing. They aren't just as highly rated as the recruits from Bama, Georgia, OSU, etc. If it's just lazy evaluations, and the elite programs are getting the top players based on those lazy evaluations, and those same programs are constantly in the title hunt year in and year out, then perhaps the evaluations aren't that far off. And per 247, the sips aren't at #3, so I'm not sure where you're looking. They're at #11 per 247.

Read a little more closely..........
dixichkn
AG
swc93 said:

Quote:

It was this loss that we first heard the rumors of Jimbo to aTm.
We did? I don't remember hearing any rumors about Jimbo.
There were't any. Not among any members of the media. In the "fire Sumlin" uproar follwing that game, I believe there was one prescient soul here in the zoo that said we should make a play for Jimbo. And was summarily laughed down by everybody. Wish I knew who that was so I could give credit where credit's due.........but no, there were no "rumors" at that point. Not even close.
PacifistAg
AG
Ah, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

After looking at it, last year's sip class is highly rated for the same reason Bill is claiming our class is the best class this year....sheer numbers. USC (#4 - 94.23) and Clemson (#7 - 93.45) both had higher player averages than the sips (92.16), but the sips had 9 and 10 more signees, respectively. They benefited in the team rankings because of the number of signees, just as we are a little higher than others because of the number of commits we currently have. So it seems like a shifting criteria that he's using.

In no way am I diminishing our class this year though. I just don't think you can really claim it's the best, especially when you look at some of the classes other teams have so far.
Bill Superman
AG
RetiredAg said:

Ah, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

After looking at it, last year's sip class is highly rated for the same reason Bill is claiming our class is the best class this year....sheer numbers. USC (#4 - 94.23) and Clemson (#7 - 93.45) both had higher player averages than the sips (92.16), but the sips had 9 and 10 more signees, respectively. They benefited in the team rankings because of the number of signees, just as we are a little higher than others because of the number of commits we currently have. So it seems like a shifting criteria that he's using.

In no way am I diminishing our class this year though. I just don't think you can really claim it's the best, especially when you look at some of the classes other teams have so far.

Yeah, not that I really care to argue that we have the best class overall currently, just that it could be argued based on all of those things.

Put us in the top 10 each season and I would be more than happy, and venture to say that a lot of those team rankings could be interchangeable based on different criteria.
schmellba99
AG
Rendered Fat said:

"The Station"?

This

Quote:

"Crootin"?

No. Just no.

And this.

Bill Superman
AG
schmellba99 said:

Rendered Fat said:

"The Station"?

This

Quote:

"Crootin"?

No. Just no.

And this.

Go shake your cane elsewhere
ABATTBQ11
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

"Crootin"?

No. Just no.

Crootin is absolutely the stupidest word ever. I cringe every time I see it.
NyAggie
AG
If we beat UCLA then sumlin may still be here or we may not have Jimbo

I'll take the 45-44 loss to have a national championship coach on our sidelines that can change the program forever

Long term goals over short term anguish and embarrassment

No doubt that loss was a Blessing in disguise

West Point Aggie
AG
This thread screams Aggie Football...

...where all blessings are hidden

...and the large beast keeps sleeping

...and BAS is the norm!

Is it Late August yet?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.