Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

44-45... A Blessing in Disguise

17,682 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NyAggie
Windy City Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

If we beat UCLA then sumlin may still be here or we may not have Jimbo

I don't think so. The intentions of Woodward and his backers were pretty clear prior to the start of the season. The rest of the season gave us narrow wins over unranked and teams like Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

We got abused in any quality matchup other than Bama, and I am guessing Bama was half asleep for that game. Mississipi State, Auburn, and LSU destroyed us. We struggled against Nichols State.

Dorky Ass crazy dude Tom Herman was rolling up the state's quality prospects on the recruiting trial.

We needed a change.

Bill Superman
AG
NyAggie said:

If we beat UCLA then sumlin may still be here or we may not have Jimbo

I'll take the 45-44 loss to have a national championship coach on our sidelines that can change the program forever

Long term goals over short term anguish and embarrassment

No doubt that loss was a Blessing in disguise

It seems most don't remember how things unfolded over the course of the season last year. Sumlin was a sitting duck after this game with his only potential for salvaging his position was going 9-3 or beating Alabama, which we all knew was next to impossible.

Had he won this game and gone 8-4, those 4 losses were to be expected and would jot ha e gotten him fired. It would have taken another 8-4 season with him this year to legitimately get canned, especially considering his contract.
Bill Superman
AG
West Point Aggie said:

This thread screams Aggie Football...

...where all blessings are hidden

...and the large beast keeps sleeping

...and BAS is the norm!

Is it Late August yet?

This thread screams reality and off-season because that is what it is.
West Point Aggie
AG
But hey the "crootin'" is going well at "the station!"

Bill Superman
AG
West Point Aggie said:

There's still a few clouds out you can go yell at
West Point Aggie
AG
Bill Superman said:

West Point Aggie said:

There's still a few clouds out you can go yell at

Oh that's an age joke...oh you kids these days...shouldn't you have hash tagged your response? It's way cooler I've been told...

Loyalty
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

People said the same thing when we lost to sip in 2011.

#justsayin

Yep, we win that game and Sherman May have stayed which means Johnny may have never played QB

34blast
Well U.C.L.A. won and they fired their coach The first half I was thinking Sumlin finally figured it out. I think Sumlin and Mazzone removed all doubts about their competence level with that second half. The second half itself was a fireable offense and unforgivable. When you add up all the other things over the years, I don't know how anyone would possible want to stay with Sumlin.
K188Ag
AG
I always thought the issue for Sumlin with the UCLA game was that the game itself was a micro look at Sumlin's recent history. Looking unstoppable in the first half (of the season), with a dramatic crash in the second half.

We relived the past two seasons in that one UCLA game.
Bill Superman
AG
K188Ag said:

I always thought the issue for Sumlin with the UCLA game was that the game itself was a micro look at Sumlin's recent history. Looking unstoppable in the first half (of the season), with a dramatic crash in the second half.

We relived the past two seasons in that one UCLA game.

Yes indeed. And that is why it was the final nail in the coffin and a blessing in disguise
Chickenhawk
Crootin'.

Ban op.
rocky the dog
AG
I went crootin' once. I don't know what I was doin', but it seemed like it was crootin' that I was doin'.
cr
azulAg said:

i encourage the optimism, but that was a complete and utter disgrace

Yes, it was.

When I think back, I still can't believe it happened. You have to be an absolute idiot to not win that game.
aggie_fan13
AG
nearly broke my tv, absolute disgrace
Bill Superman
AG
garc said:

azulAg said:

i encourage the optimism, but that was a complete and utter disgrace

Yes, it was.

When I think back, I still can't believe it happened. You have to be an absolute idiot to not win that game.

Agreed. And that is why it left no room for considering another year under Sumlin. Knowing that our coach was gone after the first game of the season really allowed us the right amount of time to start getting in jimbo's ear
Lateralus Ag
AG
Anyone that didn't realize Sumlin and Co. were capable of that before UCLA was just being willfully ignorant.

Sumlin was in over his head the minute he set foot on campus at UH. He just got extremely lucky with JFF, KK, and an NFL O-line.

59-0 should have been everyone's wake up call. That game should have been the "blessing in disguise"...

ETA: I am glad it worked out the way it did. Jimbo would not be here if we replaced Sumlin after 59-0. So, there is that.
piag94
AG
The fact was, JFF was the only reason Sumlin had any success. SUmlin is the most overrated offensive coach I've ever seen and never really deserved this job. Let's get back to the Jimbo debate in three years
jvanbeek
AG
piag94 said:

The fact was, JFF was the only reason Sumlin had any success. SUmlin is the most overrated offensive coach I've ever seen and never really deserved this job. Let's get back to the Jimbo debate in three years
It also helped to have an NFL offensive line and receivers. JFF was great, but it wasn't all JFF. He needed protection and someone to pass to!
Love Gun
piag94 said:

We should've seen the writing on the wall back then.

Bill Superman
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Anyone that didn't realize Sumlin and Co. were capable of that before UCLA was just being willfully ignorant.

Sumlin was in over his head the minute he set foot on campus at UH. He just got extremely lucky with JFF, KK, and an NFL O-line.

59-0 should have been everyone's wake up call. That game should have been the "blessing in disguise"...

ETA: I am glad it worked out the way it did. Jimbo would not be here if we replaced Sumlin after 59-0. So, there is that.

59-0 was our wake up call but we already had our hands tied with a brand new contract for Sumlin. And if Jimbo turns out to be a success story, then perhaps that bad contract was a blessing in disguise as well
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

yep

and there were other games wherwe we collapsed in game, like ucal the year before nd Tennessee the year before, but we managed to pull those out in ot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.