Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Andrew Monaco to take over play-by-play duties for Texas A&M Athletics

June 8, 2018

Texas A&M and multimedia rights holder Learfield have announced that Andrew Monaco, an experienced broadcaster who spent the last 11 years handling play-by-play duties for the San Antonio Spurs, will take over as the new voice of Aggie Athletics and call both football and men's basketball for the university.

After manning the booth for over 30 years, legendary Texas A&M radio host Dave South announced his retirement last August, leaving the university with ample time to find a replacement.

Monaco, a veteran in the world of sports broadcasting, turned out to be a perfect fit.

With experience calling games for the WNBA's San Antonio Stars, the AHL's San Antonio Rampage, and the Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs of the NBA, Monaco comes to Aggieland with nearly 30 years of broadcasting under his belt.

Monaco has also performed play-by-play duties for college football broadcasts covering the Southeastern, Big 12 and Atlantic Coast Conferences for a variety of networks.

Texas A&M athletic director Scott Woodward recognized his new hire's accomplishments and talent on Friday.

"We're excited to welcome Andrew as the 'Voice of the Aggies,'" he said. "Since last fall, we have conducted a comprehensive national search for a broadcaster who could bring the game to life for our listeners and viewers and who also would have a deep appreciation and feel for what Texas A&M is about. Andrew is a world-class professional with unmatched enthusiasm who understands the importance of this role to the Texas A&M legion."

Perhaps most importantly, Monaco himself is looking forward to the opportunity to represent Texas A&M and follow in South's footsteps.

"I am thrilled and humbled to be to be chosen to succeed Dave South and I can only hope to honor his legacy by telling the stories and describing the accomplishments of outstanding student-athletes," he said. "Joining the Aggie and Learfield families is a tremendous honor and responsibility, and, as the father of an Aggie, I have a unique appreciation for the traditions, values and culture of Texas A&M. I cannot wait for the first kickoff on August 30th."

For a full rundown of Monaco's career and what he brings to the table for Texas A&M, be sure to check out the athletic department's press release on the hire.

Discussion from...

Andrew Monaco to take over play-by-play duties for Texas A&M Athletics

26,897 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by QB1
p-wonk01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aTm2004
AG
inch05
AG
That's a weird picture of Gabe...and they misspelled his name.
BoxingAg84
viejo
I'm not going to know how to act being able to understand what's happening in an Aggie game on the radio.
Tamu_mgm
AG
I've heard him broadcast for the Spurs several times over the past few years. Does a solid job IMO.
rrtodds
AG
I thought ...

Bill Schoening is an American sportscaster who is currently the radio play-by-play voice of the San Antonio Spurs, a position he has held since the 2001-2002 season.
Bill Schoening - Wikipedia
Wikipedia wiki Bill_Schoening

rrtodds
AG
He looks kinda like Michael Young. Is he a nephew or an other related type?
Charlie 31
AG
Congratulations, Andrew Monaco, on being named the new "Voice of the Aggies". Your voice and the initials of your first and last name are perfect for the job. Gig 'em!
SchizoAg
AG
Audio sample:

test sig
TexanJeff
AG
SchizoAg said:

Audio sample:

Came here for this, thanks!

I can hear him saying "He is a Touchdown" already
OldSchoolRdAg
AG
Monaco did some television play by play on Spurs games that were broadcast locally. He did not do radio play by play.
Ciboag96
Look forward to listening to That Guy, I mean, Andrew.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I need to hear him say this

Slovacek
Mike Elko
AG
Spurs.
95_Aggie
AG
I need to hear him say this

THAT GUY
OrygunAg
AG
2/10 wnb voice not gravelly enough, no stache
Aggie_Jeff
Have to hear Learfield Sports too.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I won't know what to think until I hear his first Slovacek Sausage endorsement.
Sports-Ag
AG
For those of who are not familiar with Andrew he's very informative and does his homework. He's always in a positive and upkeep mood. Will say he won't sound like Dave South but then again no one will.

Andrew did the pre and post game for the Spurs and sometimes did the play by play on air with Sean Elliott for a number of years. Going to be a little weird not see him with the Spurs but now with the Ags.
sharpdressedman
OldSchoolRdAg said:

Monaco did some television play by play on Spurs games that were broadcast locally. He did not do radio play by play.
True. While the article reads like an inflated resume, I think he can do a good job.
Artimus Gordon
I like that guy already!! Now if he can only keep us updated on the score and down and distance during the course of the game, it would be fantastic!
rgag12
AG
Doesn't seem to have a distinctive voice like a Dave South or a Craig Way. He has an average sports radio guy voice which will be fine for the job assuming he can relay information clearly and accurately.
Triple-T
AG
Father of an Aggie - and has been the voice of the greatest NBA-wins franchise of the last couple decades?

YES.

Gig 'em.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Does anyone have any links to some play calls by Andrew?
davidka5h
AG
I'm feeling optimistic about this. Looking forward to seeing what this guy can do. Welcome to Aggieland, Andrew
Ags2013
QB1
AG
Andrew, can you describe what you see in front of you?

If so you will do great and be quite the upgrade!!!!!

Welcome aboard!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.