Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

**********DRAFT TALK***************

13,253 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Memphis 7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think most are poking fun at the Browns, bruh.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Some are.
Texags Meltdown
AG
Ravens picking Kirk???
dixichkn
AG
Jackson just made too much sense there
Womackster
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Baker Mayfield has more fire and drive than 99.9% of the tubby *******s on this board. Its HILARIOUS to see the reactions to his success.
I'd be interested in seeing the results of a poll questioning exactly how obnoxious others find you.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
So was the only player from a Texas school the kid from utsa?
Womackster
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

So was the only player from a Texas school the kid from utsa?
Mayfield started at Tech
marble rye
AG
Memphis 7 said:

I think most are poking fun at the Browns, bruh.

This. They used pick #1 on Hayseed Manziel.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Baker Mayfield has more fire and drive than 99.9% of the tubby *******s on this board. Its HILARIOUS to see the reactions to his success.

This is one of my least favorite types of opinions. Of course he has those things - he's going to the damn NFL. I hope I don't see you criticizing anyone for missing a tackle or dropping a pass next year... they have way more athleticism and skill than you!
Agvet12
AG
Not a fan of the Browns picking Mayfield, definitely should've taken Barkley especially in a qb heavy draft.

That said I think the GM and owners have a better understanding of how to handle Mayfield, as compared to when Johnny was there. There's a lot of similarities but I think management is better now. As much as I'd like to see him flame out I just don't see it. Laugh all you want but the gm has made moves to build the Browns and picked up some solid weapons in the off season so far.

That said, this class has lacked elite OLine talent and some teams have drafted some odd choices. It's been fun but this isn't a deep year on the offensive side of the ball outside of QBs

Kirk might still go mid late second or with the way the draft is going he could fall back to his talent range of the 3rd round
owenfieldreams
The Brown gm (Dorsey) rebuilt the Packers and drafted Aaron Rogers. This current Brown management is head and shoulders above their past group. Now, the owner, Haslam, is an idiot.
schwack schwack
AG
Did Malik go in the first round?

edit to add from the surlywhorns:

Quote:

Quote:

6 hours ago:
Wasn't Jefferson hyped at one time as a first rounder or is that just a beer memory?

He was, but was never actually going to go that high based on two mediocre seasons and only seven-eight decent games. Plus, the NFL doesn't like Divas and they take their mental evals seriously.

cevans_40
AG
schwack schwack said:

Did Malik go in the first round?

Lol
Flexbone
owenfieldreams said:

He lit up 3 SEC defenses too.

Yeah.....ooooookkkk.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

#iamthe0.1%
roygbell
Lateralus Ag said:

You are wrong!

It is 99.99999995%.

I kind of think the Browns drafting Mayfield could turn out to be a match made in Heaven. Mayfield is a kid who has had to fight and work hard for every thing he has achieved in football. Nothing has been given to him. The guy is a great team mate. His team mates love to play with him. Baker is one of those kids who just never gives up. Simply put, Baker Mayfield is a competitor.

It is kind of fun to read all of the comments from the haters.

KW Driver
T&P to Baker Mayfield on the death of his career.
owenfieldreams
Yeah ok? I thought everyone over here was all in on the vaunted SEC...defense, physical, speed. Well, Baker went into Knoxville and won. He handled Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, and put up over 500 yards on the SEC champs in the Rose Bowl. If OU had any kind of D they would have beat both Georgia and Alabama. He may or may not succeed in the NFL but his record at OU speaks for itself.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Personality aside, I just don't think Mayfield is that good. When he went up against a good defense that could adjust he couldn't do much against UGA in the 2nd half. He beat Tennesse and Auburn during his OU tenure and neither had anywhere close to elite defenses. I think he's a product of the air raid system he's been under with Lincoln Riley over the past 2 years. His arm ain't that great, the offensive players (including OL) around him have been very good, and he's gone against a majority of bad defenses over his career.

But what does this armchair QB coach know? I could be way off and he could prove me wrong. I just think the Browns reached big time on him and there are at least 2 QBs better than him this draft.
fightinag
The big question is...........Will he beat JFF to the CFL ?
roygbell
Look, I get the animosity A&M fans have for the Big XII and OU and Texas. So, some of this trash talk about Baker is to be understood. I don't quite get it and I sure don't feel the need to trash OU's competitors and that includes A&M.

I think much of the criticism of Baker is simply unfounded. Riley, while getting his start under Mike Leach isn't the typical "Air Raid" offensive coach. In his three years at OU he was very adept at incorporating the run game into his offense. Riley isn't stuck in some concept. The guy is an innovator, plain and simple. The guy is an offensive genius. He adapts to his players strengths.

You don't see any big signs on Riley's OU sidelines. You don't see Baker looking to the sidelines to change plays. Riley turned Mayfield loose to change his call based on what he saw from the defense. Mayfield, in his own right has a very high QB intelligence. They guy is very smart.

Then from a physical standpoint the guy is very strong and well built. Outside of a cheap shot to the head by a TCU player he didn't miss any meaningful playing time to injuries while at OU. The other side of Baker is his accuracy and ability to "see" the field and find open receivers and then put the ball where only his target can catch the ball.

The idea that Baker is a "system" QB is laughable.

His height has never been an issue in college. OU's OL is as tall as any he will find in the NFL. He has never had issues being able to find his target. He isn't the fastest QB, but his brain and feet are extremely quick.

If Baker had been an A&M or Texas QB he would have made both teams much better.

Baker Mayfield is the best of the Stoops OU QBs. And that includes two other Heisman QBs and a Heisman runner up.

There are no guarantees of success in the NFL. My guess is that he has as good of a chance as any of the 2018 QBs draft class to be successful in the NFL.
swc93
AG
Cleveland is not a QB a way from winning. They really need to just quit drafting them.
dixichkn
AG
swc93 said:

Cleveland is not a QB a way from winning. They really need to just quit drafting them.
They've been a QB away from winning the last, oh what, 23 tries? But Baker is gonna be different.

Seriously, I already said I like him better than Darnold or Rosen. I don't think they goofed there. But I still think Allen is gonna wind up being the best QB from this draft. I could be hilariously wrong but I think they could've gone Barkley 1/Allen 4 (or Mayfield if the Jets were just blowing smoke) and been better off.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

The guy is a great team mate. His team mates love to play with him. Baker is one of those kids who just never gives up. Simply put, Baker Mayfield is a competitor.
Sounds like you just described a guy we know rather well around here.....
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Quote:

If Baker had been an A&M or Texas QB he would have made both teams much better.

Probably so. Unless he played at A&M from 2012-2013. Then you'd only see him in the second half of blowouts.
ashley
I like Mayfield a lot. He was the most accurate of the qbs and always came up big in big games. His look at me attitude worries me. Most all the great quarterbacks don't do that. Name almost all of them and it will be hard to find one in history. He needs to get that under control.
wisdom
AG
How do the Browns get so many draft picks? 2 in the first 4 of Round !, then 2 more in Round 2. What did they give up to get these picks? What could they have possibly had to to give up to get the extra picks??
technoviking
AG
wisdom said:

How do the Browns get so many draft picks? 2 in the first 4 of Round !, then 2 more in Round 2. What did they give up to get these picks? What could they have possibly had to to give up to get the extra picks??
HTH

Quote:

April 27, 2017: The Browns trade the No. 12 pick (originally acquired in the Eagles trade) to the Texans for the No. 25 pick and Houston's 2018 first-round pick. The Texans select Clemson QB Deshaun Watson at No. 12 and the Browns take S [url=http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/]Jabrill Peppers[/url] at No. 25.
Quote:

March 10, 2017: Cleveland trades a 2017 fourth-round compensatory pick (No. 142) for QB [url=http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/]Brock Osweiler[/url], a 2017 sixth-round pick (No. 188 and originally owned by Chicago) and its 2018 second-round pick. The Browns used the No. 188 pick in a Day 3 trade with the Jets, who picked Louisiana Lafayette RB Elijah McGuire. The Texans took Clemson DL Carlos Watkins at 142.
They seem to be good at getting draft picks. But terrible at actually drafting (outside of Myles).
85Photon
AG
As long as Cleveland insists on making it's players play the Cleveland way, they will be in the bottom. Because it's been proven over and over that the Cleveland way is stupid. (read the definition of insanity).
If Cleveland wants to win draft winners, and shape the team around them, and let them be them.
This is why the Browns failed with Johnny.
If they don't change, they'll fail with Baker. It's a disservice to good young men.
Ban Cleveland. Delete team.
John Francis Donaghy
I'm amazed the NFL hasn't given the owner an ultimatum to shape up or have the frachise pulled.

The amount of top flight talent that has withered and died on the vine in Cleveland over the last couple of decades is downright sad, and has to have the other owners pissed. The Browns are essentially just a drain on the overall talent pool at this point, raking top level picks every year and making them worthless.
ashley
They hired a new GM. It's not the same place as when Johnny was drafted.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

If Cleveland wants to win draft winners, and shape the team around them, and let them be them.

This is why the Browns failed with Johnny.
They would have been better if they let Johnny keep showing up late to meetings and not spending more time in the film room?

I think by Johnny's own description, the Johnny Manziel way wasn't going to work out for him.
Bodhi
AG
browns will make the playoffs this year. book it
TXAggie2011
AG
ashley said:

Yeah, Ray Farmer is long gone, he really whiffed on the 2014 first round with Justin Gilbert and Manziel.

Sashi Brown is gone, too, but Garrett and Peppers from last year have been fine. Ogbah from 2016 has also been fine and Corey Coleman may turn out alright.

John Dorsey gets a lot of credit for building the Packers powerhouses of the past years, so it will be interesting to see if he finds the same magic with Cleveland.

They need those guys to stay healthy and maybe things start to look better for them.
John Francis Donaghy
ashley said:

They've been hiring new coaches and GMs to handle their elite draft picks and top flight young talent core every few years since the franchise was revived in 1999.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.