Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

OU has #1 Class with 50% Texas players

25,489 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DukeMu
WC94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When is this nonsense going to stop? Texas HS coaches get pissed when they aren't shown proper respect, but too often let the top talent flee the state. #recruit/landtheives, #timesup
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Seems like a vicious circle of - "HS coaches are important. ... No they're not."

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

2thFixinAg
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Seems like a vicious circle of - "HS coaches are important. ... No they're not."

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

their starters are often about 75-80% from Texas.
Sponge
AG
Can we get OU to relocate 1000 miles further north? That might help solve this problem.
Method Man
It's really Dallas' fault.
Rongagin71
AG
So what would constitute enough probable cause to initiate a wide ranging investigation by the Texas Rangers?
underthesea
AG
WC94 said:

When is this nonsense going to stop? Texas HS coaches get pissed when they aren't shown proper respect, but too often let the top talent flee the state. #recruit/landtheives, #timesup
When their school is literally the same distance from DFW as A&M is from DFW, then is that really considered out of state?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
WC94 said:

This reads like a Trump tweet
Lateralus Ag
AG
underthesea said:

WC94 said:

When their school is literally the same distance from DFW as A&M is from DFW, then is that really considered out of state?

I am not sure if you know how this works. Oklahoma and Texas are two separate states. Dallas/Fort Worth is in Texas. OU is in Norman which is a city in Oklahoma, which is not in Texas.

So, yes. It is out of state.

I agree with OP. It is an indictment of Texas HS coaches to some extent that so many good players go to OU. Then again, Riley, and Stoops before him, run an offense very similar to a lot of Texas HS teams. And frankly OU has outperformed any Texas football team for half a decade or more (going back to 2012, and then before that).

So, yea.
Heisenberg01
AG
The problem is not with Texas high school coaches. The problem is they have 10 conference championships since we won our last one. To the victors go the spoils.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

The problem is not with Texas high school coaches. The problem is they have 10 conference championships since we won our last one. To the victors go the spoils.

10 conference championships won with a **** ton of players from Texas.

Point still stands.
Olaf
AG
Could it be that many DFW recruits are geographically closer to OU than A&M or tu?
dixichkn
AG
Easy. There is zero state pride in a lot of these kids. None. They don't care. They just walk in and see the trophy room and lose their damn minds. This isn't the old days where representing the state of Texas was a source of pride. Just a fact
Heisenberg01
AG
dixichkn said:

Easy. There is zero state pride in a lot of these kids. None. They don't care. They just walk in and see the trophy room and lose their damn minds. This isn't the old days where representing the state of Texas was a source of pride. Just a fact

What old days are you talking about? Oklahoma has been winning with Texas talent for decades. Where do you think Billy Sims played high school football?
EVA3
AG
They can't all go to A&M. Would you rather they go to t.u.? Baylor? Tech?
dixichkn
AG
Fair point. Just seems like the exodus has worsened over the years. Especially among the top end talent. It's up to the Texas teams to put some skins on the wall and make the front runners want to stay home
HowdyAgs03
AG
If it means that the top talent in the state remains in Texas, then yes.
ashley
I know that no one wants to believe me but 98% of the time players don't ask their high school coach what he thinks about a particular school or where he should go.. School choices are almost always made by the player and his parents.
Coaches also stay out of the process because they don't want to influence the kid because that don't want the blame if things don't work out.
Recruiters ask the coach about the kids character and work habits not if the kid can play at their university, Their staff makes that decision.
Gil Renard
AG
They just went to the CFB playoff that's why-it will never get better for them after Stoops residue wears off and little game Lincoln will have to to take off the diapers finally
northeastag
AG
Please. Kids want to play for a winner. Period. OU has a strong track record. From the outside they look to be well organized and well coached. How many Texas schools can claim that lately. We sure can't.
Love Gun
Give it time. Lincoln Riley's star will fall back down to earth. He is Kevin Sumlin 2.0
West Point Aggie
AG
Love Gun said:

Give it time. Lincoln Riley's star will fall back down to earth. He is Kevin Sumlin 2.0

Yet he got to the CFP which in year 1 is >>>>>> than anything Sumlin did especially without JF bailing him out!
Bobaloo
WC94 said:

This has been going on for almost 100 years. Without Texas talent OU would be similar to Kansas in football.
EVA3
AG
HowdyAgs03 said:

If it means that the top talent in the state remains in Texas, then yes.

Seriously? Please don't tell me you're one of those guys who pulls for t.u. over OU because "state pride." Screw 'em
QCAg93
AG
I can't stand Oklahoma more than any team including tu. They have a history of paying players and NCAA violations yet ESPN gives them so much love and the NCAA seems to only just slap them on the wrist when they do something wrong.
Redrooster
If top recruits stayed in Texas then Texas teams would dominate. I think OU has incentives $$$.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I grew up 10 minutes away from the Oklahoma border. Y'all are way off about this state pride issue. HS kids don't care about it. They care about who is the most successful near them. I was in HS in the late '00s and most of the kids were either Sooners or Sips.

I was one of the only Aggies.
ag94ag
AG
You have to understand how these guys have to approach things.

For the most part, the State of Oklahoma is fairly devoid of any football talent. Yes, there are exceptions.

So, from the beginning they have had to find ways to lure kids to their state to play football. They have used whatever it takes to do so. They were quick to make coaching changes when needed.

Stoops did quite well there and took advantage of a conference that was week for a very extended period of time. We attributed to their success by being so horrible at football for such a long period of time.

They have stolen quite a few of our commits and did "whatever" it took to do so.

illegitima non carborundum
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So, we are no longer complaining about Louisiana kids rarely leaving the state and are actually applauding the state of Louisiana?

Maybe we should be trend setters and not recruit any out of state kids
BombayAg
Player To Be Named Later said:

So, we are no longer complaining about Louisiana kids rarely leaving the state and are actually applauding the state of Louisiana?

Maybe we should be trend setters and not recruit any out of state kids

Isn't that what we did for eons resulting in generational suckage?
Agvet12
AG
This is the only positive recruiting tool of having Herman at UT he wants all Texas kids to stay in state even if they don't go to UT...
beerad12man
AG
We're actually going to win the head to head battle with them in this state pretty handily when all is said and done. I think it's a little misleading right now. 3 of their texas commits don't have commitable offers from us. Another is 1A/1B in Stogner/Cupp. We like Cupp every bit as much, if not more so than Stogner despite the rankings. Henderson is solid, but a bit overrated. He most definitely isn't a 5 star like rivals has him.

Don't get me wrong. They have a great class and are doing extremely well. But ultimately, Theo Wease is really the only big loss for us from the state. The rest either don't have offers or we won't be pushing for.

Overall, we'll win the head to heads against them and keep the majority of the guys we want in state.

Right now, true head to heads:

Oklahoma:
Theo Wease
Arjei Henderson (not sure how hard we were even pushing)
Austin Stogner

A&M:
DeMarvin Leal
Braedon Mowry
Brian Williams
Demani Richardson (doesn't show an Ou offer, but I bet he could call them today and have a spot)

We lead them for:

Kenyon Green
Javonne Shepherd
Marcus Stripling
Bobby Wolfe
Jeffery Carter

and are 50/50 for Erick Young
beerad12man
AG
Plus, Fisher landed 8 out of state guys last year and will probably land a half dozen or more every year. At Florida State, he actually had one class where he landed more out of state guys than Florida guys. I think it was like 13 out of state recruits and 11 Florida guys.

State pride is nice, but you can't be hypocritical about it. We are going to get our fair share of out of state guys. This year alone a couple of linebackers for sure, maybe a DL(Sorrells), maybe a WR(Jackson), among a few others possibilities like and OL, QB(if we don't get Gunnell), or CB.
BombayAg
I know it's annoying and pisses me off too, but no need to get worked up.

Recruits go to winners. Everyone wants to be part of a success story. Except for the 2 JFF years, we have mostly had poor years in the last 20 years and average to okay phases in in the last 75 years.

So it's too much to expect when there are good winning programs close by. Texas used to be the winner in the state but now they suck for many years so they are losing recruits too.

So let's stop grumbling and just win with what we get. I believe Jimbo can do it for us. He has already done a fantastic job on the recruiting front. Now add good coaching and we begin to compete at the top levels. Winning at the top levels will be the next stage.
Hamburger Dan
Stability with the Athletic Dept, winning championships, rich traditions, and being part of the CFB Playoff speaks volumes. It's hard to fault recruits for that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.