Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

FSU - Clemson 2017

3,444 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheWoodsAg
TheWoodsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't see this game so wanted to go back and watch the condensed version since we play Clemson next year. Game was much closer than the score indicated, but ultimately FSU couldn't take advantage of their opportunities and Clemson has insane talent on their defensive front and the better QB.

- Blackman didn't play well (Stidham played poorly against their front too), but FSU had several plays that were there if he was just able to make the throws. They couldn't protect him or run the ball on early downs very well so Jimbo in the 2nd half goes to a lot of max protection and scheming receivers open (Blackman just didn't hit enough).

- Clemson is stacked right now. Let's pray that several of their players declare early because right now they only have 4 SENIORS ON THEIR 2 DEEP!!! FSU shot themselves in the foot with PI penalties on defense and not being able to tackle Kelly Bryant and Etienne. I think Clemson is the best team we play next year, too bad we have them and Bama so early before we're fully able to grasp new schemes and grow as a team.

- Overall FSU did not quit and they do a good job of getting back into the game with a chance to take the lead with the ball with 6 minutes left on the road when they could have folded. Better QB play and they would have had a good chance to win this game. Here's a link, only takes 20 minutes to watch.

TheWoodsAg
AG
And here's the Miami game which had a lot of similarities to the Clemson game. FSU was able to run the ball a lot better in this one, but their O-line cannot protect and seems to get caught holding a lot. They may have been worse than our OL and I didn't think that was possible. Blackman once again cannot convert on throws in the first half and a ton of drives seem to stall out just outside of FG position.

Their defense once again gets nailed with a few PI penalties and cannot get off the field on third an long giving up a few 3rd and longs. Just like in the Clemson game a big punt return also puts them in bad field position where Miami scores.

Blackman makes some great throws to get them the lead early in the 4th (it must have been crazy to root for FSU this year as he was so Jekyl and Hyde) if he made more of those types of throws earlier in the game they're up by 3 TDs. Miami comes right back down the field to answer and take the lead with Berios doing a lot of the work. FSU and Blackman have a great drive to take the lead with 1:20 left on an awesome play-action fake. Once again their defense can't answer the bell or stop Berios.

Just looking at these two games they remind me a lot of our team from this year. I can see why their fans wanted some of their assistants fired, especially the OL and DC. They had issues tackling and covering over the middle. Hopefully Jimbo's able to make two great hires at those two positions for us.

turboboost
AG
Don't know about you all but Jimbo's team plays mean fast and hard despite their season w l record. I can't wait to see what he can do with this A&M team.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Duke: FSU physically dominates the first half, but only leads 7-3 at the break. Their offense milks the clock and moves slow but one drive ends in a turnover and another at the half. Our defense would have loved to had the help of ball control this year.

10-10 at the start of the 4th when Blackman leads them on another "methodical" drive when Akers busts loose for a 42 yard TD run. This time their D gets off the field, they trade punts and then FSU has a horrible 'throws the ball short of the sticks' call on 3rd down that gives the ball back to Duke with 2 minutes left and a chance to tie. FSU D gives up a horrible conversion on 2nd and 16 but bad clock mgmt by Duke costs them.

Not a well coached game by FSU in my opinion (though we know Cutcliffe coached teams will play you tough). With their talent advantage should have won this game by 21+

Amazing Moves
Blackman was a deer in head lights for most of this season. True freshman entering into a tough situation. He did show flashes of being good in the future at times. 4th qtr against Miami being one of them.
TheWoodsAg
AG
NC St: FSU coming off of a 3 week break after the hurricane. I've read where Jimbo admits that he mishandled this situation and put his team back in another fall camp after the Alabama game. Looking back this was a mistake as the team may have been fried before they even took the field for their 2nd game.

This game is a broken record of their season: can't protect causing drives that stall, can't get off the field on 3rd down and bad penalties. On 4th down to start the 2nd quarter Blackman throws it short of the sticks again on a short out, but this time they're able to convert. A good deep ball gets them to within 3 at 10-7.

FSU shows good balance in a few 2nd quarter drives but comes away with 0 points due to a TO and missed FG...NC St then gets a 71 yard TD pass to lead 17-7. FSU has a good 2 minute drive to get it to 17-10 at the half. To start the 3rd FSU stalls out in the redzone AGAIN and kicks a fg 17-13.

FSU's D gives up another 3rd and long conversion and then has a potential TO negated by penalty. I cannot stress how both of those issues seem to cost them time and time again. NC St tries to run a trick play on 3rd and goal but FSU is not fooled 20-13. Blackman throws a great deep ball (Jimbo loves to go deep) but they crap out in the RZ again....20-16. NC St converts another 3rd and 9 leading to a 27-16 lead....

FSU gets a safety to get it to 27-18 with 6:20 left and the ball inside the NC St 40, but they go nowhere, Jimbo goes for it on 4th and 11 with 5:20 left but they don't convert. FSU blocks the ensuing punt (great play!) and down 9 with 3:20 to play they stall out in the redzone again. In my opinion Jimbo makes a bad coaching decision and kicks the FG on 4th and 4 from the 17 to cut it to 27-21 with 3 minutes left AND NO TIMEOUTS! You have to go for it here, you're betting that you can score a TD from bad field position (if you stop them) in less than 1 minute? Doesn't matter as FSU once again gives up a 3rd and 7 and NC St runs out the clock.

TheWoodsAg
AG
Louisvile: Lamar Jackson is good and gets a long TD run to start the game. FSU with a great drive to answer 7-7. Another great deep ball by Blackman. Both teams settle into a defensive stalemate before FSU gets a scoop and score to make it 14-7. FSU does a great job on Jackson for the most part but a penalty keeps a drive alive to make it 14-14 at the half.

FSU has a methodical 5:30 second drive to start the 2nd half but misses the FG, Lamar Jackson then has a Lamar Jackson play and the Cards go in front 21-14. The very next play Blackman gets picked on a deep ball and Jackson is back to the races 28-14. FSU keeps fighting with another long 6 minute drive (a 4th down conversion and another 4th down conversion due to a penalty) they fumble into the end zone but recover 28-21.

FSU gets a 3 and out and then makes some great throws to tie it at 28. Jacksons converts on 3rd and 9 but the FSU D makes a great stop on 4th and 1 to get the turnover on downs. FSU drives the ball inside the Louisville 20 but then turns it over with less than 2 minutes left! They should have won.... but Jackson is too much keeping plays alive and they kick a FG with 5 seconds left 31-28 Louisville.

Maddening season for FSU......the breaks didn't go their way, if they had they may have won 8-9 games. They move the ball so well, control the clock and then stall out and end up with 0 or 3. Then their defense breaks down at the worst possible moments. If we had given Chavis that type of time-of-possession protection we would have been much better on D no doubt. The key will be how quickly Starkle/Mond master the offense and how much our OL improves, if both of those things go our way I could see us with a 9-4/10-3 type season next year.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.