Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Q: For the Morris haters.....

7,258 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
RGLAG85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coog_aTm said:

Morris is probably a decent coach, but you need a home run hire.

Briles (we are talking coaching ability here not rape scandal) at UH in his first year took a team that was two years removed from 0-11 and one year removed from 3-8 and went 7-5. The talent level was as bad or worse than SMUs and he was in a tougher conference (old Conference USA was much better than the AAC). He also gave Saban a scare early in his tenure. You are going to need someone with that kind of coaching ability to get A&M consistently in the top 3 of the SEC. What has Morris done? I mean June Jones took SMU to a bowl game. Has Morris even done better than June Jones at this point?
The talent level was not worse then SMU. Not even close. SMU had glorified high school level players. Morris will need 4-5 years of good recruiting to even reach a competent level. You need to read more about what Jones had done to that program after he lost out on the ASU job.
zephyr88
AG
deadlift said:

What's the deal with November - why cherry pick a month?

And why the emphasis on at SMU? Is your assumption that it should be easy to win at SMU?

Shouldn't the main focus with coach evaluation be on how the program was trending before he got there, where it is now, and where it is headed?

The success of any team hinges on how well they perform in November. The most difficult opponents (your conference rivals) show up in November. Some teams start strong (vs. out of conf opponents) but fizzle on the backside. Some teams start slow, then finish strong in November.

November is the pinnacle of football season,
Amazing Moves
Yid Army said:

His teams play no defense
His teams so far have very little talent on defense. I also think what talent they have is still in development. I think another year would prove what Morris is worth.
GTTXAG
AG
Quality up and coming small conference coaches elevate the level of play of their respective teams. That is how they get their chance at the next level. Morris has done nothing to elevate the level of play of SMU especially given the quality of the conference competition they face. Currently his 13-22 head coaching record does not even rate as mediocre.
TheWoodsAg
AG
His teams get steam rolled by sub par athelets running the triple option at Navy. They have no running game or run defense
Phoenix1
jml2621 said:

Coog_aTm said:

Briles (we are talking coaching ability here not rape scandal) at UH in his first year took a team that was two years removed from 0-11 and one year removed from 3-8 and went 7-5. The talent level was as bad or worse than SMUs and he was in a tougher conference (old Conference USA was much better than the AAC). He also gave Saban a scare early in his tenure. You are going to need someone with that kind of coaching ability to get A&M consistently in the top 3 of the SEC. What has Morris done? I mean June Jones took SMU to a bowl game. Has Morris even done better than June Jones at this point?

4 bowl games in a row, after taking an 0-11 team.

Please name those bowl games- in fact do me a favor- name 1.
Lateralus Ag
AG
oneeyedag said:

Abitaholic said:

Chad's biggest blemish? Accepting the SMU job. Really what was he thinking. There was a less than 5% chance he hits a home run.

This X a 100%.

You do realize that multiplying something by 100% is equivalent (exactly) to mutiplying something by 1, right?
cevans_40
AG
ATM9000 said:

cevans_40 said:

I prefer we have a coach with a defensive background. Looking around the country, it seems that more successful head coaches come from that side if the ball.
Hate this argument because it is a stupid premise... and just not factual after Saban and Kirby Smart.

Kelly: offense guy
Fisher: offense guy
Harbaugh: offense guy
B Kelly: offense guy
Richt: offense guy
Shaw: offense guy
Meyer: offense guy
Petersen: offense guy
Swinney: offense guy
Chryst: offense guy

You get the picture... your statement is just incorrect.

What's makes is false? I have yet to see any facts that show otherwise. Other than the fact that offensive guys outnumber defensive guys by a wide margin (yet the championship ratio does not).
MSCAg
AG
Simply put, I don't see Morris as a good enough option to have to eat Sumlin's contract.
EMIN was WOW!

Quote:

From 2009-2012: Hawaii, Armed Forces, BBVA Compass, and Hawaii.

And for those who talk about what a bad situation Jones left at SMU, Jones inherited an equally bad situation when he started there and was winning in his second season.

The fact is Morris gets way too much hype here simply because he went to A&M. I want him to do well too but he is not ready to be a P5 HC at a program like A&M. His best bet would be a P5 school with very low expectations, and to show he can win there.

For all those that tout his OC experience at Clemson, now that we have three years of him as a HC, that is very secondary. His HC record is not even mediocre at this point.

I am ready to see Sumlin go but I think Morris would not be an improvement and would likely do worse.
ATM9000
AG
cevans_40 said:

ATM9000 said:

cevans_40 said:

I prefer we have a coach with a defensive background. Looking around the country, it seems that more successful head coaches come from that side if the ball.
Hate this argument because it is a stupid premise... and just not factual after Saban and Kirby Smart.

Kelly: offense guy
Fisher: offense guy
Harbaugh: offense guy
B Kelly: offense guy
Richt: offense guy
Shaw: offense guy
Meyer: offense guy
Petersen: offense guy
Swinney: offense guy
Chryst: offense guy

You get the picture... your statement is just incorrect.

What's makes is false? I have yet to see any facts that show otherwise. Other than the fact that offensive guys outnumber defensive guys by a wide margin (yet the championship ratio does not).

Of the college football playoff appearances (12 spots since its inception), 4 are had by defensive coaches... remove Saban and you are down to 1 by a defensive coach. Of the current top 25 teams, a grand total of 7 are led by defensive coaches.

Want to be clear, I advocate we find a CEO type coach with loads of experience and not a one side of the ball guru to lead the team. I don't give a damn if they are from the offensive or defensive side of the ball... but factually, the idea that defensive coaches are more successful around the country right now in this college football era is just plain incorrect.

By nearly every fact recently throwing out that Saban happens to have more of a defensive background, your point it 100% false.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I've not seen s single post where anyone said they hated Morris; just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they hate anything.

What I have read is a lot of folks who want to set the bar high for the next coach like we did with Jackie.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I think you are right; so are you saying a season like Hetman is having is acceptable to you? Really?
cevans_40
AG
66% of FBS coaches come from the offensive side of the ball. That's 2 to 1. Saban, Stoops, & Carroll dominated the past 20 years. All defensive guys.
cevans_40
AG
Ironically the Pac 12 is the only major conference that has more than 50% head coaches with a defensive background. With the way the playoff structure is set up, the offensive guys have a huge numbers advantage. Yet they still fail to win at anywhere near that rate.
ATM9000
AG
cevans_40 said:

66% of FBS coaches come from the offensive side of the ball. That's 2 to 1. Saban, Stoops, & Carroll dominated the past 20 years. All defensive guys.

'Offensive' guys who have 'dominated' about the same as these guys in that time frame: Mack Brown, Tressell, Urban Meyer. See... I can cherrypick too.

Here's some harder facts for you: in BCS era, 60% of the coaches who have appeared in the national championship game or playoffs are from the offensive side of the ball... and roughly 42% of the champions have been lead by a defensive coach. That's pretty damning to your argument that defensive guys win proportionally more than offensive guys.

Good coaches are really made agnostic to which side of the ball they come from and the facts back that up.
cevans_40
AG
So offensive guys are under represented in the championship game and championships won, yet that somehow proves me wrong?
cevans_40
AG
For the record, I would not be disappointed with a guy like Jimbo or Petersen or any number of offensive guys. Defense would be my preference but I could live with several offensive guys. I just don't buy the Chad Morris hype. If we end up with him, I hope he proves me wrong.
ATM9000
AG
cevans_40 said:

So offensive guys are under represented in the championship game and championships won, yet that somehow proves me wrong?

Stats are since 1998 when the BCS system started... I'm not going to do the research, but I doubt there's been a 2/3 to 1/3 split that entire time. Representation number being off from the current split likely shifts on the 4 teams who will be involved this year... so that's the definition of standard error. The actual championships won probably is reality to ratio of offensive vs. defensive coaches since 1998 vs. ratio of offensive vs. defensive coaches today.

Anyhow, my point is made and any sane person would look at it and realize that having a defensive coach over and offensive coach or vice versa doesn't matter at all to how successful your program will be.
Escobars army
Frost is showing you can turn a turd around in under 3 years and Morris isn't doing that and we should be a top 10 job with all the resources that are pumped into the program. I won't be pissed if that's where we land as he's an immediate upgrade on offense but we should demand better. Name another top 10 resource program that would settle for an unproven coach like him?
TheWoodsAg
AG
See Kingsbury at Tech, that's basically what Morris would look like at a Power 5
cevans_40
AG
ATM9000 said:

cevans_40 said:

Stats are since 1998 when the BCS system started... I'm not going to do the research, but I doubt there's been a 2/3 to 1/3 split that entire time. Representation number being off from the current split likely shifts on the 4 teams who will be involved this year... so that's the definition of standard error. The actual championships won probably is reality to ratio of offensive vs. defensive coaches since 1998 vs. ratio of offensive vs. defensive coaches today.

Anyhow, my point is made and any sane person would look at it and realize that having a defensive coach over and offensive coach or vice versa doesn't matter at all to how successful your program will be.

Sure have been a lot of personal attacks thrown out to make your point. I guess since you have made your point so well, I will go back to my original statement and say that my preference is a defensive guy. That's why I don't want Morris.
ATM9000
AG
cevans_40 said:

ATM9000 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sure have been a lot of personal attacks thrown out to make your point. I guess since you have made your point so well, I will go back to my original statement and say that my preference is a defensive guy. That's why I don't want Morris.

Lord... what personal attacks? Don't be so sensitive. All good if you prefer a defensive coach... I just get annoyed when people say they are superior to winning championships because basically all facts don't back that up... then I get more annoyed when somebody can't look at those facts and just say 'oh yeah... maybe my assertions are off' vs. being petty to feel better about their own incorrect assertions.

That's not a personal attack... you've got the hard data and have played defense to your bad point by ignoring it and being petty.
cevans_40
AG
So 66% of college coaches are offensive guys (64% of power 5) and yet they only win 58% of the championships? I see your point now. Maybe my premise is stupid and I am insane (to use your words).
BrandoC
AG
FRICK Morris. Jimbo or GTFO!
TAMU74
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

See Kingsbury at Tech, that's basically what Morris would look like at a Power 5
That's a very good analogy....IMO
I wonder if K.K will get the ax this year??
jml2621
Phoenix1 said:

jml2621 said:

Coog_aTm said:

4 bowl games in a row, after taking an 0-11 team.

Hawaii (2)
Armed Force
BBVA

Bowls are selected by conference affiliation - so AAC

Jones resigned at 0-2 his last year...after being turned down by the BDF

Morris
2-10
5-7
7-5

Frost takes over an 0-12 team
6-7
12-0

Arky should take The Pirate, but w/e...6 more losses in a row to us!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.