Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Q: For the Morris haters.....

7,249 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
AgFan2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your objections other than "he hasn't done it as a head coach/I want to see more" ????
Joe Exotic
AG
They don't hate him they just don't think he's ready and it's a valid concern.
Yid Army
AG
His teams play no defense
CrottyKid
AG
Mr.Infectious said:

What are your objections other than "he hasn't done it as a head coach/I want to see more" ????

Is there a more important objection to a head coaching candidate? Seems like experience and success are two MAJOR criteria!
OutdoorAg
AG
I was all for Chad before we showed interest in Jimbo. Now I'm on the Fisher train!!
Clown_World
Well he obviously slept with Drew_Hill's wife so I think character is a concern.
CNN is the enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Phoenix1
More Sumln > mediocre morris
zephyr88
AG
c) he's 2-9 in November...

at SMU
Ian Neff
AG
Bayside, do you have any info?
AgFan2015
Quote:

Seems like experience and success are two MAJOR criteria!

No *****... but other than that is there anything that is there anything else that would stop you from wanting him as a coach.

Obviously Jimbo has the Jameis thing that people resent. Is there anything worth mentioning on Morris' resume that would hold him back? That's all I'm asking.

IMO Morris is no different than Herman. OC for Successful HC with a Natty under his belt. Got a gig at a local mid-major and has recruiting in roads in the state.
jml2621
zephyr88 said:

c) he's 2-9 in November...

at SMU

Evidence based. No hate.

Morris is a GREAT OC. No question about it.

How he adapts as a HC remains to an SEC level to be seen. He may be a year off, 2, 3 - no way of knowing.

Morris will have to build his defense through recruiting, maybe a young DC. He's averaged 77 at SMU in recruiting. June Jones was at 70. 2018 so far = #70.

deadlift
What's the deal with November - why cherry pick a month?

And why the emphasis on at SMU? Is your assumption that it should be easy to win at SMU?

Shouldn't the main focus with coach evaluation be on how the program was trending before he got there, where it is now, and where it is headed?

offenseguru
AG
i want a big name because we need someone who can immediately bring best 5*, 4* athletes available. we have never had that level in large numbers.

chad could get there but it would take a while and some luck
TAMU74
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

They don't hate him they just don't think he's ready and it's a valid concern.
Exactly right
turboboost
AG
Love u Chad but, not yet
texasaggie84
AG
Holy crap. He is flat out not ready. Coaching at SMU is the equivalent of coaching at Plano Senior High or Odessa Permian. Get a clue.
Triple-T
AG
Even though coaching at SMU is a black hole, he doesn't seem to be doing better than his predecessor's earlier years there. At least Sumlin was rolling at UH and Fran at bama when we got them - although w prior coaches recruits.
Loyalty
AG
deadlift said:

And why the emphasis on at SMU? Is your assumption that it should be easy to win at SMU?

Shouldn't the main focus with coach evaluation be on how the program was trending before he got there, where it is now, and where it is headed?

Exactly
Olaf
AG
Great troll post, but nonetheless:

The logic that people want to fire Sumlin (who's had no less than 8 wins each season in the SECW) for Morris (who's had no more than 6 wins as a HC in the AAC) is baffling. In this scenario, Coach Sumlin is without a doubt the better option.

Personally I need to see more out of Morris as a HC.
ag_eet
AG
Sumlin was really Kliff at UH. Morris is really Morris. We need someone who can build something from nothing. That's really not Jimbo. I think defense takes more time and nothing can be determined this soon for Morris. Certainly in competition with TCU so close.
Post removed:
by user
JST92
AG
deadlift said:

Seriously?

Um, November is a football month. I'm sure he is great in April.

November is a month where your opponents have game film to study and you probably have some injuries and your OOC powderpuffs are out of the way and youre probably into some legit conference play.

So performance in November reveals depth (good coaching/planning/recruiting), continually adapting gameplans (good coaching, not a one trick pony), and wins a against legit competition.

Morris comes up short.

People start with evidence that proves he shouldn't be the next A&M HC.

The hate begins with the nonsensical apologist posters who essentially say, aside from the facts and evidence, why not Morris? It's even better when they try to argue that the facts aren't relevant or true.
TXAG 05
AG
offenseguru said:

i want a big name because we need someone who can immediately bring best 5*, 4* athletes available. we have never had that level in large numbers.

chad could get there but it would take a while and some luck

More important than getting those recruits is knowing what to do with them when you get them, which is Sumlins biggest problem.
NyAggie
AG
Don't hate morris at all; think he's a fine coach, but concerns at this time are;

1. Hasn't done it as HC at power 5 level
2. Still struggling to get above .500 at Smu; understand its year 3 and it's smu, but would like to see more improvement
4. Defenses are not good, but I attribute that to lack of players at Smu and Can't get food assistants to Smu
5. Concerned about timeframe to adjust to coaching in the SEC-can't wait s number of years for him to figur it out
AgFan2015
Quote:

Great troll post, but nonetheless:

The logic that people want to fire Sumlin (who's had no less than 8 wins each season in the SECW) for Morris (who's had no more than 6 wins as a HC in the AAC) is baffling. In this scenario, Coach Sumlin is without a doubt the better option.

Personally I need to see more out of Morris as a HC.

I wasn't trolling. Honestly wanted to get opinions beyond the surface "not enough wins" arguments.

IMO he's going to be the fallback when Fisher stays at FSU (it sucks but that's how it looks like it's going to go).

The couple good things I've heard is that the Dallas media seem to like him, he's well known w the state HS coaches, and he's been able to develop a three star WR (Courtland Sutton) into a likely NFL late 1st rounder. And of course the Aggie ties. Thats not that impressive to be given the keys to the program.

I agree he's a lateral move (maybe a step down) from what we have as a coach now.

Tom Hagen
AG
If we are going to make a move, it should be to a proven coach who has won championships. You don't make this move because it "might work" with the new guy.
TheGreatScott12
AG
People who say Morris record is not his fault because he doing the best with what he was given should take a look at Lane Kiffin. I'd take Kiffin way before Morris after how he's turned around that program. Even if he's an @$$hole
cevans_40
AG
I prefer we have a coach with a defensive background. Looking around the country, it seems that more successful head coaches come from that side if the ball.
oneeyedag
Abitaholic said:

Chad's biggest blemish? Accepting the SMU job. Really what was he thinking. There was a less than 5% chance he hits a home run.

This X a 100%.
Coog_aTm
Morris is probably a decent coach, but you need a home run hire.

Briles (we are talking coaching ability here not rape scandal) at UH in his first year took a team that was two years removed from 0-11 and one year removed from 3-8 and went 7-5. The talent level was as bad or worse than SMUs and he was in a tougher conference (old Conference USA was much better than the AAC). He also gave Saban a scare early in his tenure. You are going to need someone with that kind of coaching ability to get A&M consistently in the top 3 of the SEC. What has Morris done? I mean June Jones took SMU to a bowl game. Has Morris even done better than June Jones at this point?
Meximan
CrottyKid said:

Mr.Infectious said:

Is there a more important objection to a head coaching candidate? Seems like experience and success are two MAJOR criteria!
Wasn't for Dabo.
CrottyKid
AG
Meximan said:

CrottyKid said:

Mr.Infectious said:

Wasn't for Dabo.

Well, since it worked once...
ATM9000
AG
cevans_40 said:

I prefer we have a coach with a defensive background. Looking around the country, it seems that more successful head coaches come from that side if the ball.
Hate this argument because it is a stupid premise... and just not factual after Saban and Kirby Smart.

Kelly: offense guy
Fisher: offense guy
Harbaugh: offense guy
B Kelly: offense guy
Richt: offense guy
Shaw: offense guy
Meyer: offense guy
Petersen: offense guy
Swinney: offense guy
Chryst: offense guy

You get the picture... your statement is just incorrect.
ingramsh
AG
What is the obsession whith Morris? The guy hasn't proved anything as a head coach.
jml2621
Coog_aTm said:

Morris is probably a decent coach, but you need a home run hire.

Briles (we are talking coaching ability here not rape scandal) at UH in his first year took a team that was two years removed from 0-11 and one year removed from 3-8 and went 7-5. The talent level was as bad or worse than SMUs and he was in a tougher conference (old Conference USA was much better than the AAC). He also gave Saban a scare early in his tenure. You are going to need someone with that kind of coaching ability to get A&M consistently in the top 3 of the SEC. What has Morris done? I mean June Jones took SMU to a bowl game. Has Morris even done better than June Jones at this point?

4 bowl games in a row, after taking an 0-11 team.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.