Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Net neutrality and Texags

5,713 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BTKAG97
BeatHellOutOfTU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue star this thread... also if net neutrality passes we likely will have to pay to access Texags in the future
Showstopper
AG
Nerd.
TexasAggiesWin
S
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Blue star this thread... also if net neutrality passes we likely will have to pay to access Texags in the future
Mort Rainey
That's a lie
Post removed:
by user
Demosthenes81
AG
I guess TexAgs has finally made it to the big leagues when Soros' bots bother to post here
GooseAg14
jxs40 said:

I guess TexAgs has finally made it to the big leagues when Soros' bots bother to post here
Why/How would Soros benefit from the removal of net neutrality?

How is net neutrality even a partisan issue? What OP is meaning to say isn't that TexAgs will be banned from the internet, solely that removing net neutrality makes it no longer illegal for your ISP to prefer certain websites vs. others. Why should internet traffic be restricted based on what ATT, Comcast or Charter deem worthy/unworthy of full connection speed? It shouldn't be, and that's exactly what net neutrality protects you, the consumer, from.
degreedy
AG
For the uninformed!!!

Thread from The Nerdery about Net Neutrality:
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2907655

I 100% agree with GooseAg14... this is beyond me why this is even a partisan issue as well. This is about consumers vs. large ISPs. Ajit Pai, the FCC Chairman who introduced the plan to kill Net Neutrality, use to be a high-powered attorney for Verizon. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know right there I don't know what will.
TXAggie2011
AG
GooseAg14 said:

jxs40 said:

Why/How would Soros benefit from the removal of net neutrality?

Because Hillary, or something.
BanderaAg956
Humm
bmc13
AG
net neutrality
bmc13
AG
ISPs that want to have their cake and eat it too
Texas300Mag
AG
NPH and Goose.

This isn't football so not sure why we're debating here but You are missing the point. If you built cable facilities for the use of individuals to share at same price and one of you morons was constantly streaming movies or hosting gaming services the telcos and cable companies would have to build more facilities so casual users like me would stop complaining about slow speeds.

Eliminating Net Neutrality solves this. These companies aren't going to screw over the average user; they will protect us poors from abusers.

500,000ags
AG
Content providers and wired / wireless telecoms are increasingly merging - net neutrality is crucial.
MrAbyss
so you woud rather pay for package deals like cable to access certain sites? cause thats where this will 100% head
Jack Cheese
AG
NOTHING WILL CHANGE YOU IDIOTS.

Because net neutrality was a non solution to a nonexistent problem. A bunch of huge corporations rent seeking, with an administration looking for any reason to expand their regulatory reach.

Don't be a bunch of gullible fools.
BTKAG97
AG
jxs40 said:

Never been over to forum 16 have you?
BTKAG97
AG
MrAbyss said:

so you woud rather pay for package deals like cable to access certain sites? cause thats where this will 100% head
Yeah... no. Nice scaremongering by the nanny state though. Give more power to big brother!!!
Jack Cheese
AG
MrAbyss said:

Because this is what it was like before net neut? Funny I don't remember that.
500,000ags
AG
Telecoms already have the ability to bifurcate speeds based on total data use and charge a premium for "abusers." This is about Verizon having the regulatory ability to incrementally reduce speeds to Google, when it just purchased Yahoo! (for example).
Texas300Mag
AG
Go back to your abyss; the sky ain't falling
MrAbyss
isnt that what everyone says before the sky falls lol?

I hope it doesnt happen, and i would like to think it cant but companies do love new ways to make more beautiful munnies.
Jack Cheese
AG
MrAbyss said:

isnt that what everyone says before the sky falls lol?

I hope it doesnt happen, and i would like to think it cant but companies do love new ways to make more beautiful munnies.

You're right, we should trust Trump to manage a highly complex, dynamic technology marketplace instead. Great plan dude.
Texas300Mag
AG
That's as silly as the DOJ's argument that att/TW will stop selling HBO on all the other competitors services. If these companies throttled speed to these mega companies (Google, Netflix, etc) customers would switch to a non-throttler.

Unless of course they all colude with each other and that's so unlikely with all the class action attorneys just waiting to make a billion!

MrAbyss
Quote:

You're right, we should trust Trump to manage a highly complex, dynamic technology marketplace instead. Great plan dude.
I need to read up more on this i think, i think ive sorely misunderstood what it is lol. I thought net neutrality kept the govs hands off of the internet. Im of the thought group of " i dont want anyone touching the internet. Keep that ish as free as possible"
500,000ags
AG
To point to the past to say net neutrality doesn't have a place is silly. In the last 5-10 years content providers and telecoms consolidated to gain pricing power versus each other. In the last 1-2 years, they are now merging together. If it doesn't matter so much and nothing will change, why was the current FCC chairmen largely picked for this exact reason? It's not like banking regulation that was going to cause significantly more compliance overhead.
HossAg
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

Net neutrality is the devil

Yall better get edumacated on it

Dammit brew
Ag4coal
Texas300Mag said:

That's as silly as the DOJ's argument that att/TW will stop selling HBO on all the other competitors services. If these companies throttled speed to these mega companies (Google, Netflix, etc) customers would switch to a non-throttler.

Unless of course they all colude with each other and that's so unlikely with all the class action attorneys just waiting to make a billion!

Exactly. It's amazing how people don't understand competition in the free market. If someone says we're making your Netflix slower, people will leave. For those in rural areas that don't have choice, they can use their LTE services. Hell, T-Mobile is providing free Netflix now and they are competitive with the big 3 in most small towns now. If both their local internet provider and the cell provider are screwing the same website, chances are everyone else is too. Then come the collusion lawsuits as referenced above.
Swill94
AG
Texas300Mag said:

NPH and Goose.

This isn't football so not sure why we're debating here but You are missing the point. If you built cable facilities for the use of individuals to share at same price and one of you morons was constantly streaming movies or hosting gaming services the telcos and cable companies would have to build more facilities so casual users like me would stop complaining about slow speeds.

Eliminating Net Neutrality solves this. These companies aren't going to screw over the average user; they will protect us poors from abusers.

Yeah yours right on the broadband speeds but I don't think you see the big picture. Elimating net neutrality gives the broadband provides the power to slow down competitor's websites and encourage us to use there's ( if you have Verizon say goodbye to google, bc they want to have you use yahoo who they just bought out). It also lets this company's add in subscription packages on certain areas of the internet you can acccess. So now you pay $30 for internet plus $8 or more for each package you wanted like social, streaming video, streaming music, and email and ect .

If you're pissed about your broadband speed then I was just pay for a better provider if you can who can accommodate for those jerks. With net neutrality we put the burden on the suppliers, these companies have to be innovated and offer resonable prices in order to attract costumers. Besides its not like they're all going bankrupt these companies have huge profit margins.
Ag4coal
Swill94 said:

Texas300Mag said:

NPH and Goose.

Yeah yours right on the broadband speeds but I don't think you see the big picture. Elimating net neutrality gives the broadband provides the power to slow down competitor's websites and encourage us to use there's ( if you have Verizon say goodbye to google, bc they want to have you use yahoo who they just bought out). It also lets this company's add in subscription packages on certain areas of the internet you can acccess. So now you pay $30 for internet plus $8 or more for each package you wanted like social, streaming video, streaming music, and email and ect .

If you're pissed about your broadband speed then I was just pay for a better provider if you can who can accommodate for those jerks. With net neutrality we put the burden on the suppliers, these companies have to be innovated and offer resonable prices in order to attract costumers. Besides its not like they're all going bankrupt these companies have huge profit margins.

This is the narrative created to scare. What do you think Verizon people would do if google really was neutered by their provider? You think they would just take it? Hell no. It doesn't work that way. Not when you can just switch to att or T-Mobile.

And that packaging system could become reality, but you think it would really work? It would take every provider doing it at he same time or they would lose every customer they have.

Regulation does not force competition and innovation, it suppresses it.
500,000ags
AG
These companies are 99% the same. If something is bad for Verizon, it will be bad for AT&T, etc. With the Netflix example, they will both have the opportunity to incrementally limit or charge for over the top content providers like Netflix. That is how the free market will react because Netflix is a threat to both companies, not just one or the other.

Eliminating net neutrality is nothing more than to continue empowering telecoms, which are acquisitive and already highly levered. All of which are really good for the telecom stakeholders, generating legal fees, and generating banking and capital market fees.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
I'm getting a free year of Netflix through Suddenlink. They don't seem to be too concerned about the competition. NN just increases costs and reduces our freedoms. I don't know why so many people support it.
HossAg
AG
You don't know what you're talking about
quiz
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Because net neutrality was a non solution to a nonexistent problem. A bunch of huge corporations rent seeking, with an administration looking for any reason to expand their regulatory reach.

Nothing will change? Is that why the TeleComs have lobbied to reverse it? Cuz it's meaningless? If you want to see gullible, look in the mirror.
Jack Cheese
AG
quiz said:

Jack Cheese said:

Nothing will change? Is that why the TeleComs have lobbied to reverse it? Cuz it's meaningless? If you want to see gullible, look in the mirror.

And big companies lobbied to get the government involved in the first place (as well as getting gullible people like you to follow along with their PR campaign). Please. This was a play at rent seeking by one set of large web-based businesses against other large companies. The federal government (aka Donald frickin Trump) has no business applying public utilities regulations to a market that is far more complex and dynamic than they have the ability to manage.

There's a reason the limits of authority and intentions of the FCC are so opaque... They can't begin to anticipate who wins and loses once they stick their regulatory blunt instruments into this mess.

There were no good guys when net neutrality was lobbied into existence by large corporations, there are no good guys now. Trust me, this non problem they ginned up was not hindering small companies or individuals before net neut, and no one will be hurt by the government politely recognizing they have NO ROLE HERE and bowing out.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.