Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chances of playing the sips in a bowl

16,839 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by J-Licious
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The SEC office will get the bowl payout regardless of the attendands and ratings. The office will consult with the school and put the brand and image of the conference at the forefront. The chances of them sending us to that bowl with an interim staff are virtually nil, especially if we object. There's more to lose than to gain in that scenario.
Joe Exotic
AG
Aggie said:

And those you suggesting it would not sell out.
Quit kidding yourself.
It would be the most sought after A&M bowl ticket in history of our program
Fact.

That's silly. No one cares about a low tier bowl with an interim staff regardless of the opponent. It would pale in comparison to the LSU cotton bowl in 2010.
LJF78
Current bowl projections

CBS
Belk Bowl
Texas A&M vs Wake Forest

ESPN
Texas Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa State
Liberty Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa State

Sporting News
Outback Bowl
Texas A&M vs Penn State
Apparently bowl projections are not their speciality

Sports illustrated
Music City Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa

bemer
S
Programs headed in opposite directions, no way Ags want any part of that match up.
Joe Exotic
AG
bemer said:

Programs headed in opposite directions, no way Ags want any part of that match up.

Terrible troll
Flashdiaz
AG
bemer said:

aggiehawg
AG
LJF78 said:

Current bowl projections

CBS
Belk Bowl
Texas A&M vs Wake Forest

ESPN
Texas Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa State
Liberty Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa State

Sporting News
Outback Bowl
Texas A&M vs Penn State
Apparently bowl projections are not their speciality

Sports illustrated
Music City Bowl
Texas A&M vs Iowa
Wake Forest, please. Want no part of a pissed off Penn State, nor a very excited senior laden Iowa State team.
W
AG
as of this moment it appears the SEC will only have 9 bowl-eligible teams.

let's assume that Bama, UGA, and Auburn make the CFP/NY6 bowls.

then LSU to the Citrus Bowl.

so these 5 teams are left:

A&M, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, and Miss State

for the following 6 bowl games:

Outback, TaxSlayer, Texas, Liberty, Music City, and Belk.

one of the "pool of six" bowls will not get an SEC team. It will probably be the Liberty or Belk since they have the lowest payouts.

Mississippi State looks like the best option for the Texas Bowl. The Bulldogs should finish 9-3 with a ranking in the top 20
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Mississippi State looks like the best option for the Texas Bowl. The Bulldogs should finish 9-3 with a ranking in the top 20
And I think the SEC Head Office will see it that way too.
Fightin Ag491
W said:

one of the "pool of six" bowls will not get an SEC team. It will probably be the Liberty or Belk since they have the lowest payouts.

I thought the Outback Bowl was the highest of those remaining six? Or at least, I've known that bowl to have more exposure than the other 5 games. Wouldn't MSU be the favorite to play in that one since their most likely the best team remaining in of those 5 teams?
bryanhome
StickTogetherAgs said:

Random Texas Fan said:

Zero. We are losing our next two games to complete our fourth losing season in a row. My team stinks.

Don't worry. Refs will bail y'all out against tech

It's already been arranged
You've must not watch any Horn games the last couple of years.
W
AG
Good point. While the league office generally says that all "pool of six" bowls are equal...

the Outback, TaxSlayer/Gator, and Texas are the top three due to payout and TV slot. Those will get filled first with the best teams...which this year are South Carolina, Miss State, and tbd.

have to think the Gamecocks are a lock for one of the Florida bowls. Miss State may get their choice between Houston and Florida

PabloSerna
AG
I would totally buy 4 tickets and take the family!!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Aggie said:

And those you suggesting it would not sell out.
Quit kidding yourself.
It would be the most sought after A&M bowl ticket in history of our program
Fact.
Threadbare
dixichkn said:

Threadbare said:

aggiehawg said:

jmfshr said:

If tu qualifies for a bowl, and the Ags finish 6-6 (or even 7-5), the only way this WON'T happen, in the Texas Bowl, is if A&M puts pressure on the SEC league office to keep them out (and, if that happens, the negative publicity would be worse than a loss in the game).. This is a match-up that the organizers of the Texas Bowl hope for.. it would get a lot of press, some good/some bad.. Other than a few TexAgs posters, there are a lot of people who would want to attend the game, so it would be a sell-out.. There are many reasons why this would be one of the most interesting games of the bowl season..
I seriously doubt that. The reason the Arkansas/ tu Texas Bowl was a big deal was because of the desert Hogs fans had been wandering in for the two years before that and the insane optimism sips had in Strong' first year.

A 6-6 tu versus a 6-6 or 7-5 A&M would be a let down bowl for us, with an interim coach to boot. Few people outside of the state of Texas would care about that cripple fight.
It wouldn't be huge, but it would definitely punch above its weight. Don't underestimate the allure of nostalgia (even after only a few years) or how big this rivalry was (and is, no matter how some on both sides want to spin it)...

And the stadium would sell out.
I'd like to agree with Hawg on this one, bc outside these two schools and the BDF bottom feeders that always wanna see us "get what's coming to us" for ditching them......nobody really gives a rat's ass. However the wild card here is ESiPN. They'll work up every angle they can for weeks to make Kissy Boy's tu bowl debut look like a rousing success, and what better way than to do it at our expense? The only potential positive there is they get exactly what they want and get us matched up, and then we go in there and kick their ass with an interim coach......omg the implosion in Bristol.......I'm sorry though, even a scenario that tantalizing doesn't make it worth it to me. I just have no interest in getting hooked up every freaking bowl season with the BDF like the powers that be seem to want. Give me something new. Different. Even if it's a potential get-your-ass-kicked matchup, I'd much rather play somebody outside our recent history.
I'm not saying it would eclipse bigger bowls or anything like that. I'm saying that whatever second-rate bowl it is will likely over-perform on viewership, and will max out the gate.
cr
Gonads23 said:

We would kick their arse

No, we wouldn't.
Actual Talking Thermos
garc said:

Gonads23 said:

We would kick their arse

No, we wouldn't.

Eh, depends what you mean by an arse-kicking I guess. You probably wouldn't be able to run up the score, just based on us having a solid defense and an outrageously good punter. But I doubt we'd move the ball very well at all, and we can't make field goals, so we'd probably make it a boring field position battle and end up losing like 7-17.

Or not. Who knows?
StickTogetherAgs
crosswalk said:

You scared we gonna lose, huh?

Grow a pair.

Lol, standard habitual remark for those who want that game back

Nobody's scared to play sips. Just don't wanna play against sip refs and sip media
Actual Talking Thermos
What effect does the media have on the outcome of the game? And does Texas just own all refs everywhere? Bunch of ACC refs in our pocket just in case we ever need their help in a bowl game?
Threadbare
StickTogetherAgs said:

crosswalk said:

You scared we gonna lose, huh?

Grow a pair.

Lol, standard habitual remark for those who want that game back

Nobody's scared to play sips. Just don't wanna play against sip refs and sip media
The whole UT-refs thing is completely overworked. When we won 10 of 11, I don't remember it being much of a factor...

How do we have to play against the sip media? Did a sporstwriter come off the sideline at some point and make a tackle, and I just missed it?
MSU/SECALUM
W said:

I've seen three bowl projections and all three had State in the Citrus against Ohio State, Michigan & NC State. We don't recruit Texas heavily but we do in Florida so a trip to Florida is preferred rather than playing in Houston at the Texas Bowl. Orlando vs Houston, please it's a no brainer.

LSU in the Texas Bowl seems like a better option due to proximity and the LSU fan base in the Houston area.
W
AG
one note...the Citrus Bowl in Orlando is not part of the pool of six. It makes its selection right after the CFP/NY6 slots are filled. State could get picked up there.

if not the Outback (Tampa) and TaxSlayer (Jacksonville) are the Florida choices remaining
W
AG
also...the Texas Bowl director was on local radio this afternoon and when asked about possible teams from the SEC...LSU and State were the 2 teams he mentioned first...and then he threw in A&M.

likewise when asked about the Big 12...he first mentioned West Virginia and Iowa State...and then threw in t.u. and Tech (to cover his bases).

it sounds like they're looking for a ranked matchup first and foremost. Then a fall back to the local teams if that can't happen
W
AG
and speaking of the Big 12...as of right now the league is only getting 1 team in the CFP/NY6.

unless the Frogs upset the Sooners, both TCU and OSU will be pushed down to the Camping World and Alamo.

leaving the Texas Bowl with the next selection
MSU/SECALUM
W said:

one note...the Citrus Bowl in Orlando is not part of the pool of six. It makes its selection right after the CFP/NY6 slots are filled. State could get picked up there.

if not the Outback (Tampa) and TaxSlayer (Jacksonville) are the Florida choices remaining
From three hours ago

SEC bowl projections roundup following Week 11

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-bowl-projections-roundup-following-week-11/

The Texas Bowl will have a new sponsor moving forward

Academy Sports + Outdoors new title sponsor for Texas Bowl

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Academy-Sports-Outdoors-new-title-sponsor-for-12359768.php
W
AG
a significant development today with the horns (6-5) beating West Virginia (7-4).

if t.u. beats Tech next week, the horns will more than likely be the Big 12 rep in the Texas Bowl
J-Licious
AG
If the offense continues to shine under Starkel, I think we beat the sips 38-10. Our defense is solid and they struggle mightily on offense. Only think that could throw a monkey wrench into it is the timing plenty of time to game plan.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.