Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Chances of playing the sips in a bowl

16,856 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by J-Licious
Emilio Fantastico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

ironmanag said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

We aren't kicking anyone's @$$.

We just did dumbass
Should have said beating a team with a pulse.

But that's not what he said.
agz win
AG
Zero chance. Not happening this year.
NWE
The Chicken Ranch
AG
And quit acting like beating New Mexico by a lot is a big deal.

Good lord...
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

And quit acting like beating New Mexico by a lot is a big deal.

Good lord...

I'm not. We beat them like we SHOULD beat them. But you said we can't beat ANYONE. The reality is that we have beaten six teams this year and all but SCar are hot garbage.
Phoenix1
Never Again!!!!!!
HustlerAggie
Wish we could play them every year.

Yes, I realize that is an unpopular stance in this day-and-age...
Random Texas Fan
Zero. We are losing our next two games to complete our fourth losing season in a row. My team stinks.
StickTogetherAgs
Random Texas Fan said:

Zero. We are losing our next two games to complete our fourth losing season in a row. My team stinks.

Don't worry. Refs will bail y'all out against tech

It's already been arranged
underthesea
AG
No way, we could lose to TU. If we play TU that means we lost to Ole Miss and LSU, which means we probably aren't a very good team even with Starkel..
Meximan
The Chicken Ranch said:

We aren't kicking anyone's @$$.

The Aggies have kicked a few teams' teeth in for stretches at a time, just not all game long for most any game. First half against UCLA was mind boggling dominance, and if you read the faces on Alabama's players they looked like they just got took behind the woodshed rather than getting a win. Alabama wanted nothing more of these Aggies after the game, they wanted a shower and an ice pack after that. The start of the Auburn game looked promising, too, until Auburn remembered who they are, although the 14 point delta on the blocked punts had a lot say of the final score; aside from the special teams plays, it was quite a close game.
AnalogyAg
Can you imagine the derision from the national media if a 6-6 A&M team meets a 6-6 t.u. team for this long awaited matchup????

it would be like a beauty contest between former hotties from 1948. yeah, that would play out well.....
jmfshr
AG
If tu qualifies for a bowl, and the Ags finish 6-6 (or even 7-5), the only way this WON'T happen, in the Texas Bowl, is if A&M puts pressure on the SEC league office to keep them out (and, if that happens, the negative publicity would be worse than a loss in the game).. This is a match-up that the organizers of the Texas Bowl hope for.. it would get a lot of press, some good/some bad.. Other than a few TexAgs posters, there are a lot of people who would want to attend the game, so it would be a sell-out.. There are many reasons why this would be one of the most interesting games of the bowl season..
aggiehawg
AG
jmfshr said:

If tu qualifies for a bowl, and the Ags finish 6-6 (or even 7-5), the only way this WON'T happen, in the Texas Bowl, is if A&M puts pressure on the SEC league office to keep them out (and, if that happens, the negative publicity would be worse than a loss in the game).. This is a match-up that the organizers of the Texas Bowl hope for.. it would get a lot of press, some good/some bad.. Other than a few TexAgs posters, there are a lot of people who would want to attend the game, so it would be a sell-out.. There are many reasons why this would be one of the most interesting games of the bowl season..
I seriously doubt that. The reason the Arkansas/ tu Texas Bowl was a big deal was because of the desert Hogs fans had been wandering in for the two years before that and the insane optimism sips had in Strong' first year.

A 6-6 tu versus a 6-6 or 7-5 A&M would be a let down bowl for us, with an interim coach to boot. Few people outside of the state of Texas would care about that cripple fight.
agz win
AG
jmfshr said:

Why put the onus on A&M wanting to get out of the game? The sips would be the one in fear that we'd give their kissing coach a losing season. The sips don't want to play us with them having a 6-6 record and we deserve to play someone better than them.
Eike Mlko
The Chicken Ranch said:

It was New Mexico.
Pretty sure he said "anyone"
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Why put the onus on A&M wanting to get out of the game?
We might just opt out of having any bowl game, although I don't think the SEC would let us with the number of bowl eligible teams being down this year.

Bowl games with an Interim coach is good for the practice and the players but it's a downer for the fans.
agz win
AG
We'll play in a bowl with plenty of fans and likely our new coach will be observing from the press box so the team has plenty to play for him. I'm thinking Liberty Bowl will be the best city destination to bring a larger group of Aggie fans.
AnalogyAg
i would be perfectly fine with the whole world knowing A&M did everything necessary with the SEC to avoid playing t.u. at this point.

if anything, at least it would shove it up D Dodd's piehole who said 'sips get to decide when this game is played again.
02skiag
AG
I'm not ready to schedule them during the regular season, but hell yeah, let's kick their ass in a bowl game. I think we match up very favorably with them this year.
Dr. Teeth
AG
crosswalk said:

You scared we gonna lose, huh?

Grow a pair.
Where do you get that from the OP?
Fightin Ag491
Galborathelion said:

tu was in a dogfight with Kansas til the 4th, not even Sumlin would botch a game with them.

Unless he started Mond again
And Nicholls was a total blowout win, right?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

Galborathelion said:

tu was in a dogfight with Kansas til the 4th, not even Sumlin would botch a game with them.

Unless he started Mond again
And Nicholls was a total blowout win, right?

You did see the line about Mond, didn't you?
coupland boy
AG
I've been vocally against playing those turds but in this case that'd be fine by me. Whatever. Sips likely won't want it with our coach on the way out (or perhaps an interim) at that point against their latest first year 'we're back' guy.

This is one they would likely shy away from unlike a home and home that helps them sell tickets. I'm still very much opposed to that.
coupland boy
AG
If they wouldn't want to play us out of self interest i wonder if they have a segment of their fan base that would openly just not understand that concept.
saw em off
Dr. Teeth said:

crosswalk said:

You scared we gonna lose, huh?

Grow a pair.
Where do you get that from the OP?
Exactly. I was only stating the possibility.
FtLauderdaleAg91
AG
saw em off said:

We lose out and they win one more, we'll both be 6-6. Think the powers at be will force it?

Yes and we could showcase to the world how the once mighty have fallen to the depths of mediocrity in an all out battle for a "winning season"!

GLORIOUS!!!

We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
Agsgirl
SoupNazi2001 said:

I hope we play them. Would you rather play Wake Forest, Indiana, Iowa or Iowa St as some of the other projections show. If so you are a scared loser.
Iowa State could prove to be formidable. Sips, eh, not that much...
strbrst777
Back to the question. The answer is, "Yes! Like it not, there is a chance...a very good chance IF Aggies have 7 wins and Texas has 6.
Threadbare
aggiehawg said:

jmfshr said:

I seriously doubt that. The reason the Arkansas/ tu Texas Bowl was a big deal was because of the desert Hogs fans had been wandering in for the two years before that and the insane optimism sips had in Strong' first year.

A 6-6 tu versus a 6-6 or 7-5 A&M would be a let down bowl for us, with an interim coach to boot. Few people outside of the state of Texas would care about that cripple fight.
It wouldn't be huge, but it would definitely punch above its weight. Don't underestimate the allure of nostalgia (even after only a few years) or how big this rivalry was (and is, no matter how some on both sides want to spin it)...

And the stadium would sell out.
MouthBQ98
AG
You always take the game. Extra practices, extra reps, TV time, swag for the kids, a game for the fans they will be glad to watch even after they complain it isn't good enough, a bit of revenue for everyone involved...
dixichkn
AG
Threadbare said:

aggiehawg said:

jmfshr said:

It wouldn't be huge, but it would definitely punch above its weight. Don't underestimate the allure of nostalgia (even after only a few years) or how big this rivalry was (and is, no matter how some on both sides want to spin it)...

And the stadium would sell out.
I'd like to agree with Hawg on this one, bc outside these two schools and the BDF bottom feeders that always wanna see us "get what's coming to us" for ditching them......nobody really gives a rat's ass. However the wild card here is ESiPN. They'll work up every angle they can for weeks to make Kissy Boy's tu bowl debut look like a rousing success, and what better way than to do it at our expense? The only potential positive there is they get exactly what they want and get us matched up, and then we go in there and kick their ass with an interim coach......omg the implosion in Bristol.......I'm sorry though, even a scenario that tantalizing doesn't make it worth it to me. I just have no interest in getting hooked up every freaking bowl season with the BDF like the powers that be seem to want. Give me something new. Different. Even if it's a potential get-your-ass-kicked matchup, I'd much rather play somebody outside our recent history.
Playtuagain
AG
Amen. I get tired of these folks who forget that it means something.
Aggie
AG
1. Please please for all things holy quit referring to tu as " crazy x girlfriend" ... That has gotten old and is just dumb

2. For all those saying " we won't meet them in a lower tier bowl" . It's not the bowls or the conferences responsibility to cater our egos and make sure we meet in a prestigious bowl game.
If we're both bottom feeders , which we are, and the cards fall that way.. Match is up.
The conferences and bowls care about 1 thing and 1 thing only...$.
An A&M - Texas matchup would give a lower bowl instant appeal and guarantee a sellout and a bigger TV market.

In houston last year vs Kansas State ushers were moving people down from the upper levels to the lower to make the crowd appear bigger on TV.
I bought upper level endzone seats for $10 and we moved to 15 yard line club seats.
Aggie
AG
And those you suggesting it would not sell out.
Quit kidding yourself.
It would be the most sought after A&M bowl ticket in history of our program
Fact.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.