Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coming to my first game at Texas A&M

8,907 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieFabricator
UATide4Ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm excited about my first trip to College Station ( flying into San Antonio first to vacation).

I've always enjoyed the hospitality of the Aggie fans in Ttown and will hopefully see it again on this trip. I'm getting into College Station Friday night.

My question:. What are some recommended pregame things to see or do ( outside of tailgating)? Things that are Aggie traditions are my primary interest or other " must sees"

Thanks in advance.
OrygunAg
AG
Welcome to Aggieland. After the tide is upset in a shocker, you'll want to go drown your sorrows at northgate...
phatbeast
AG
BTKAG97
AG
https://www.tamu.edu/traditions/gameday/midnight-yell/
Bregxit
AG
Midnight Yell Friday night
Walk around the MSC

I'd say Corps Museum but it will be closed (8-5 M-F)

Northgate
ingramsh
AG
Midnight yell the night before at Kyle Field (I'll leave it up to you to figure what time it starts). You'll hear not so funny jokes at Bama's expense but it's all well natured fun.

Hit up North Gate Friday night and before the game on Saturday (Dixie Chicken is the main tradition draw).

Go check out the MSC (Memorial Student Center) across the street from Kyle Field and if you time it right you can see the Corps march out about 90 minutes before kick off right in the same area.

double fault
Surely you know this by now, but you absolutely must do Midnight Yell on Friday night. Show up at Kyle at 11:30 pm and enjoy yourself.

After Midnight Yell you will probably be tired of winning and decide you need a little drama in your life, and we can provide plenty of it. So prepare yourself to temporarily switch sides and root for the good guys. Throw up a few gig 'ems and say a few howdy's. Join in on the yells and be surprised when even you want to Beat The Hell out of your own team. You'll visit Bonfire Memorial, an easy walk from the stadium, and you will find why our passion for this place runs so deep.

After the Ags somehow pull off a miracle at Kyle, head to northgate and enjoy the victory. After you wake up you will realize it was all a dream and that Bama actually broke the hearts of all of Aggieland with a last second field goal. You never did actually switch sides, but you had a good time anyways.

You'll return home glad the tide escaped but worried that Saban just lost another 10 years of his life and that he'll retire soon. As you unpack your suitcase and check your phone for who else you have to play before Georgia, you suspisciously find a 12th man jersey tucked away. Wait... whose side were you on again? Ah well. Back to winning all the time.

Ronnie Mund
San Antonio vacation?
sharpdressedman
dlance said:

Walk around the MSC
Corps of Cadets march-in - be in the Quad when the band steps off ~ 2 hours before kick-off

Northgate

I hope you don't mind I fifu.
AnalogyAg
if You're driving from San Antonio, should take you about 2hrs 45 min traveling up I-35 then hitting Hwy 21 in San Marcos. Be safe driving!

Enjoy San Antonio- great friendly town. Have dinner outside on the Riverwalk. Market Square a bit touristy but still a fun place. And if you like history, besides the Alamo you should visit one of the other four missions- probably Mission San Jose. If Catholic, (and even if not) St Joseph's diwntown is gorgeous old German church. If taking kids, Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is one of top rated water parks in nation (if still open in Oct?). Lastly the Hill Country is beautiful just 30 min north of san antonio- make sure to grab lots of Texas BBQ.

BTHO Bama!
SouthLlano
AG
What part of town are you staying in SA? Do you have significant other with you? Or is it a guy's trip?

Midnight yell
Dixie Chicken
Tailgate
Corps March - watch from the quad where they get started.
Bonfire Memorial
Corps Museum
Century Oak - lots of Ags get engaged here
Watch the team walk in - 12th man posts an accurate schedule on timing.
Tailgate
Academic Building - the east facing "porch" is nice
Soviet Architecture Tour to balance your Academic bldg experience.
Tailgate
The branded staircase in Kleberg if you have a ranching background is cool.
The Bush Library and the horse statue out front.

South Llano
runontexas
AG
Fox & Hound
Ian Neff
AG
Why SA and not Austin?
Cmon man.
runontexas
AG
Why Austin and not Houston?
Ag Tag
Why???
ElephantRider
AG
runontexas said:

Why Houston and not Fort Stockton?
Ragoo
AG
runontexas said:

why would anyone ever consider vacationing in Houston?
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
San Antonio is great... river walk, Alamo, pearl brewery area, zoo, etc...

As for college station....
Go to midnight yell Friday night at kyle field, north gate (Dixie Chicken), George bush library ( I haven't been but I hear good things), bonfire memorial, and take a walk around campus...
runontexas
AG
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

As for college station....
Go to midnight yell Friday night at kyle field, north gate (Dixie Chicken), George bush library ( I haven't been but I hear good things), bonfire memorial, and take a walk around campus...

And don't forget Fox & Hound

aggiedent
AG
Quote:

You mean "great" as some type of punishment?
TXAG 05
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Never understood San Antonio haters. SA is great
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

aggiedent said:

Quote:

agreed. In fact, the RW area has improved a lot in the last decade with the pearl brewery area.
Cancelled
AG
Applebee's. A definitive do not miss.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

aggiedent said:

In farness, I don't "hate" San Antonio. It's OK..............certainly not great. If I was going to choose to visit a city for a vacation (which is not really my kind of vacation anyways) SA would not be high on the list. It's not even top of the list for Texas cities......I'd take Austin any day. So, if I was taking precious vacation time in San Antonio, it would feel like punishment to me.
Ragoo
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

aggiedent said:

In farness, I don't "hate" San Antonio. It's OK..............certainly not great. If I was going to choose to visit a city for a vacation (which is not really my kind of vacation anyways) SA would not be high on the list. It's not even top of the list for Texas cities......I'd take Austin any day. So, if I was taking precious vacation time in San Antonio, it would feel like punishment to me.
if your vacation time is that precious then neither city should be an option. both are great for a long weekend type trip. I wouldn;t want to spent a work week off trying to find fun things to do in either city.
NumberEinAg
AG
If you have any 'Bama friends looking for tickets, call/text me at (979) 219-5125 or email - evonrosenberg52@gmail.com. I've still got some great seats available. I'm playing golf today (retired!), so if you don't get me right away, I'll reply later this afternoon. Gig'em!!
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
One Louder
AG
Quote:

I have a hookup for a pretty good coupon. /humblebrag
sluggersaenz09
Probably not the best game to go for your first time. Have you ever heard of the term "going in dry"?
runontexas
AG
Believe it or not Houston has become THE tourist destination in Texas

I even see a hop on/off bus roaming through downtown now.....
McJulie-O
AG
Ragoo said:

Cstrickland05 said:

aggiedent said:

Quote:

agreed. In fact, the RW area has improved a lot in the last decade with the pearl brewery area.
Also agreed, .... just took a 3 hr Segway tour of downtown San Antonio, including the River Walk, King William, San Fernando, La Villita, and Hemisfair, among other places, and had a great time.. SA is endlessly fascinating.... unfortunately, the OP won't have time to do TAMU and SA, both, in one weekend.
UATide4Ever
Thanks for all the input guys! Buddy and I are visiting SA for two days, then Austin for a day then College Station. Staying at Cavalry Court in College Station. Looking forward to seeing alot!
Desert Ag
AG
sharpdressedman said:

dlance said:

Walk around the MSC
Corps of Cadets march-in - be in the Quad when the band steps off ~ 90 minutes before kick-off

Northgate

I hope you don't mind I fifu.
Re-fifu...

Step-off has been 1-1/2 hours before kick-off since time in memorial! Also suggest viewing along Joe Routt rather than Quad. Will be another "Campus" March-in, so won't be entering Kyle Field.

See link with details and a map of the route (to Routt) below:

March In details/map.
wlc61
AG
Bush Library is probably the best non-football tourist attraction.
wlc61
Ag Tag
One Louder said:

Quote:

I have a hookup for a pretty good coupon. /humblebrag

Truth, I don't know how anyone could pass up a good Applebee's.

If any of y'all get to Indianapolis, the one next to the airport is frantastic!
Traveler
AG
Empty your bladder before you enter the stadium. Just in case.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.