Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Can anybody explain why Texas A&M doesn't have a homecoming?

22,728 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiejim70
Krazykat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Homecoming? That's for high school. Just win our damn games.
Uncle Jimbo
VatoLocoAggie said:

Every home game and away game at Gaylor is homecoming.
That's why.

Also, bring back the mums and dates. We are in the SEC now. These fans can appreciate our traditions instead of being jealous of them like the SWC/Little 12 loser schools.

Sorry, but I've got news for you. SEC fans think we're just as weird as Big 12 fans did, and they definitely weren't "jealous."
Ag CPA
AG
Bonfire was the de facto homecoming back in the day.
GrayMatter
AG
KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

Every game is supposed to be a homecoming.
Aren't you supposed to pick a "sure win" game for homecoming???

I'm class of 1995, home games were a sure win!

I miss the defense.

SEC >>>>>> SWC
WILDMAN95
AG
jj9000 said:

zephyr88 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.
Wow, you had a great run.

1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 - no home losses - all seasons 6-0 at home!

I was at A&M for 6 football seasons (1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990).

We were 31-4-1 at home during those years. It was pretty sweet.
'95 also never lost a conference game (home or away) during our "four" years.
Ok, you win... ha!

(But I didn't miss many of those games either)

I guess.

If you consider dominating inferior regional SWC opponents...then crapping the bed when faced with a real team in a Bowl. The season vs. bowl dates below may be off by a year...but the point remains the same.

91 Cotton Bowl - FSU 10...A&M 2 (that's the offense I remember)
92 Cotton Bowl - ND 28...A&M 3 (that's the offfense I remember)
93 Cotton Bowl - ND 24...A&M 21 (look we scored a touchdown)
94 No Bowl - NCAA 1...A&M 0 (that's the offense I rememeber)

...but hey...we beat Michigan the next year...so 1 out of 4 ain't bad.
I don't understand the need that some have to downplay some fantastic accomplishments. It just doesn't make sense. Do you just hate Slocum for some reason? I just don't get that line of thinking.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
lilsportag02 said:

My best friend asked me this question and I'm pretty sure I offended her in some way when I answered. If you happen to know if there is a reason other than "we aren't a high school" I'd like to learn about it. I'm thinking its because we were once an all military school with no women attending.

Thanks and GigEm!

But we have pep rallies
jj9000
AG
WILDMAN95 said:

jj9000 said:

zephyr88 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

Ok, you win... ha!

I guess.

If you consider dominating inferior regional SWC opponents...then crapping the bed when faced with a real team in a Bowl. The season vs. bowl dates below may be off by a year...but the point remains the same.

I don't understand the need that some have to downplay some fantastic accomplishments. It just doesn't make sense. Do you just hate Slocum for some reason? I just don't get that line of thinking.

It makes perfect sense. It's called reality.

When people boast about how bad @ss the 90s teams were, they fail to mention opponents like Baylor, Rice, and SMU in conference.

So, yes the 90s teams were very good against the in Conference teams they played. However, people rarely put those wins into proper perspective.

I'm sorry if you can't see the Bowl games as measuring stick indicators against the big boys.

5 total points in (2) Bowl Games suggest those teams were vastly overrated...and being ranked #3 in the nation in '95 was fools gold which proved out on the field.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
lilsportag02 said:

My best friend asked me this question and I'm pretty sure I offended her in some way when I answered. If you happen to know if there is a reason other than "we aren't a high school" I'd like to learn about it. I'm thinking its because we were once an all military school with no women attending.

Thanks and GigEm!
You answered correctly. Sorry your friend was offended.

You need better friends.

Bonus: I have looked at the statement "new army" and kind of blew it off.

I was wrong. There is a "new army" and OP could be their leader.

Houstonag
AG
Op , we do not need a home coming. All games are home coming. We also do not have a female queen.

Besides that , if we did, it would not take to long for some group to protest, demonstrate, shout, march, etc. claiming it was racist, anti Muslim.

Only thing we need is for the coaches, and athletes to perform and the administrators to make good business decisions.

BrandoC
AG
Wish you toy soldiers would quite acting like corps guys are the only people on campus. Those weirdos make up under 10% of the student body.
Squadron7
AG
BrandoC said:

Wish you toy soldiers would quite acting like corps guys are the only people on campus. Those weirdos make up under 10% of the student body.

Look, someone was going to steal your girlfriend. That it happened to be someone from the Corps doesn't mean anything.
Squadron7
AG
So....even if we did have a "homecoming"....what would we do differently? Not march the Corps in?

All I can think of is floats and a Homecoming Queen that would be protested now by four liberal arts departments for being "too cis."
WILDMAN95
AG
jj9000 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

jj9000 said:

zephyr88 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

Ok, you win... ha!

I guess.

When people boast about how bad @ss the 90s teams were, they fail to mention opponents like Baylor, Rice, and SMU in conference.

So, yes the 90s teams were very good against the in Conference teams they played. However, people rarely put those wins into proper perspective.

I'm sorry if you can't see the Bowl games as measuring stick indicators against the big boys.

5 total points in (2) Bowl Games suggest those teams were vastly overrated...and being ranked #3 in the nation in '95 was fools gold which proved out on the field.

Dude, nobody claimed how bad ass they were. No opinions were given that needed you to bring us all back down to reality on. Two facts of record were given.

1. Undefeated at home.
2. Undefeated in conference.

It was a fun time to go to football games. That's all. Stop looking for something to be negative about.

I am curious what your class year is. Maybe Fran years?
BoerneGator
AG
aggiehawg said:

queso1 said:

Back in the SWC days I thought SMU game was sort of a special game. Wasn't that traditionally the Fish Drill Team's day to shine?
I remember the "spurs" on the corps boots. Flattened bottle caps on wire that jingled when they walked.
Allow me to set the record straight.

First, it was(is?) a fish privilege to make and wear spurs the week of the SMU game in order to "ride the ponies"! So, they were worn on shoes rather than boots (only zips wear boots) and they were made from coat hangers and took some ingenuity to construct.
Muy
AG
Because CHOCO (college hoco) is gay?
Squadron7
AG
WILDMAN95 said:

jj9000 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

jj9000 said:

zephyr88 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

Ok, you win... ha!

I guess.

Dude, nobody claimed how bad ass they were. No opinions were given that needed you to bring us all back down to reality on. Two facts of record were given.

1. Undefeated at home.
2. Undefeated in conference.

It was a fun time to go to football games. That's all. Stop looking for something to be negative about.

I am curious what your class year is. Maybe Fran years?

Forget it, it's Texags.

Guys who can't be made happy resent those who have been at any point.

To regard football as mere entertainment is to accept mediocrity. Or something.
Squadron7
AG
BoerneGator said:

aggiehawg said:

queso1 said:

Back in the SWC days I thought SMU game was sort of a special game. Wasn't that traditionally the Fish Drill Team's day to shine?
I remember the "spurs" on the corps boots. Flattened bottle caps on wire that jingled when they walked.

First, it was(is?) a fish privilege to make and wear spurs the week of the SMU game in order to "ride the ponies"! So, they were worn on shoes rather than boots (only zips wear boots) and they were made from coat hangers and took some ingenuity to construct.

Analysis: True.
MooreTrucker
AG
Muy said:

Because CHOCO (college hoco) is gay?
No, calling it CHOCO is gay.
aggiehawg
AG
BoerneGator said:

aggiehawg said:

queso1 said:

My apologies. My only excuse is I have slept since 1979 and killed some brain cells with alcohol. Now that you mention it, I had a flash of memory of the "spurs" being on the shoes with a full pant leg above them, not a boot.

Again, my bad.

Carry on.
BoerneGator
AG
UNo apology necessary. Just wanted to make the distinction it was a "fish privilege ".

I still remember my first campus visit as a boy in 1962. We stopped by the Quad Sunday afternoon, and encountered a student outside Dorm 4 sitting on the sidewalk with a hammer and he was busily flattening coke bottle caps. We asked him what he was doing, to which he replied "I'm making spuhz". We said what?, not understanding his thick accent, and he said "I'm making spuhz", so we asked "where are you from"? to which he replied "New Juzzy"! When we asked him "what are you doing way down here" he said, "I dunno, I've been asking myself that same question!"
The Collective
AG
I'm sure this has been said, but... why do we joke and laugh about homecoming being so high school when we are one of the only colleges that does not have one?
aggiehawg
AG
CJS4715 said:

I'm sure this has been said, but... why do we joke and laugh about homecoming being so high school when we are one of the only colleges that does not have one?
We didn't have fraternities and sororities for a very long time either. Still fun to laugh at Greek life.
BoerneGator
AG
CJS4715 said:

As has been explained over n over, we don't have ONE. We have multiples every year, beginning with every home game, and now, away games as the numbers of classes increases. I submit the total attendance at these surpasses every other college in America by factors of 20-30 or more. When Muster is factored in, it's off the charts.
MidTnAg
AG
Quote:

Quote:

MidTnAg said:
I never heard my mom or dad talk about homecomings while they were students at Aggieland in the 1930s. I never heard of it when I was a student there in the 60s.

We fish were always told that was high school stuff and we were no longer in high school.
Your Mom was a student in the 1930s??

Yep. She worked in the old museum behind the Administration Building.
Met & married my dad - Sargent Major of the Cadet Corps.
He received three degrees from Aggieland and died in the Korean War.
She later graduated from Sam Houston State.

We don't have Homecomings because there is no room for all the former students who would show up.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Yep. She worked in the old museum behind the Administration Building.
Met & married my dad - Sargent Major of the Cadet Corps.
He received three degrees from Aggieland and died in the Korean War.
She later graduated from Sam Houston State.

We don't have Homecomings because there is no room for them.
WOW! Very unique Aggie family story. Your Dad was taken way too soon, though.

Thank you for sharing.
aggiejim70
AG
I dunno......................I always thought it was because for about 50 years we were everybody else's homecoming game.

As for the fish spurs, I know I pounded out my 70 bottle caps and twisted the coat hanger wire. Correct me if I'm wrong, when the SWC dissolved and we quit playing SMU every year didn't fish spurs change to the tech game.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.