Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Can anybody explain why Texas A&M doesn't have a homecoming?

22,900 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiejim70
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_lefraud_ said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

Every game is supposed to be a homecoming.
Aren't you supposed to pick a "sure win" game for homecoming???

I'm class of 1995, home games were a sure win!

I miss the defense.
Wow, you had a great run.

1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 - no home losses - all seasons 6-0 at home!

I was at A&M for 6 football seasons (1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990).

We were 31-4-1 at home during those years. It was pretty sweet.
24 of the 31 wins came against unranked teams. 3 of the 4 losses came against unranked teams, and the tie was against an unranked team.
don't care... we won, it was fun and the liquor was flowing!

(damn the clear bag rules we have now)
farmboy91
Lamesa
The Real Maroon Blood
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I remember one game a couple of years ago where one of the bulls was complaining about E2 bringing dates to the games. He was saying it was unfair to the other cadets that weren't able to sit in the corps block because of it.
Well, that guy, along with most Bulls (unfortunately), is an idiot...
woodyhayes
your answer was spot on. Its very high school'ish.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Most programs make homecoming the game people would otherwise least likely to buy tickets for. At baylor, it was usually kansas. They would burn a pile of pallets the night before and take up my parking spot at the law library. They had some (presumably b/c I never went) crappy parade where they supposedly drove through the hood and threw candy out to the poor children.

Criteria was usually:

1. middle of the season
2. opponent who otherwise nobody wants to see
3. opponent who's fans are not likely to travel

Then parents weekend was usually:

1. early in the season
2. guarantee game least likely to draw a big crowd
MD20/20
AG
Class of '82
Tom Wilson
Hard times.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
OldArmy71
AG
Aggies do have Homecoming, but we do it by class year.

I believe that Aggies identify with their class year far more than do graduates of other universities.

This probably comes from the military background of the school, in which each class was quite distinct from the others: variations in uniforms, privileges, and so on. You were the Class of '44 or '55 or '71 forever.

The "homecoming," then, is connected to your class reunion. The Class Reunion system is A&M's substitute for homecoming.

Having attended my 45th Class Reunion last fall, I was struck by two things: Most of the attendees had been in the Corps; none of us is getting any younger.

I suspect that current students--the vast majority of whom are not in the Corps--identify more closely with people in their major or in their dorm or in some other student group rather than with people in a particular class.

I imagine that as the years go on, the class reunions will fade away and there may indeed come a time when one game is chosen as a Homecoming.

And as someone else said, Muster is our homecoming, too.
MooreTrucker
AG
TexAg15 said:

Homecoming at most universities are mostly a gimmick to get graduated to return to campus to make money. We don't need a gimmick, for some reason. Us former students year after year shill out our hard earn money to watch our team struggle against homecoming tier teams without a gimmick.
That's NOT how they should teach it at Fish Camp.

Although it seems they don't teach that, or much of anything really, at Fish Camp.;
TresPuertas
AG
It has yet to be answered correctly here, which is surprising.

Military schools don't have homecomings. Its disrespectful for families and those who never returned home from war.

Muster is basically our version of homecoming, but the reasons for it are much much different than why other schools have homecoming celebrations.

MooreTrucker
AG
B-1 83 said:

DWren said:

I still remember when women wore mums to games.
Guessing that died off in the early ..maybe mid 90's.
I bought many a mum for she who would become Teacher Wife.
I ended up springing for a silk mum for my wife rather than buying a new one every week.

She still has it.
MooreTrucker
AG
farmboy91 said:

Lamesa
That's where I was born.
MooreTrucker
AG
woodyhayes said:

your answer was spot on. Its very high school'ish.
Not spot on at all. Has nothing to do with high school.
Moon Shadow
OMG, the Aggies get over (nearly over for cupcake games) 100,000 for every conference game. No gimmicks needed to boost attendance.
Mathguy64
AG
It's not a gimmick to boost attendance.

It's not high schoolish.

Some of you have missed out on what in was to be an Aggie.
david1968
As a 1989 graduate who was here for the last two of Jackie's Cotton Bowl years, I have nostalgia for the Wrecking Crew, Conference Championships, great come-back wins, Camp Cotton, and the certainty of beating t.u. each year.

What I don't understand, and this is just me, is the nostalgia for girls dressing up and wearing mums. The "scenery" seems to have improved each year, if I am being objective.

One disclaimer to the above: if you married one of the girls in the mums, you are absolutely entitled to said nostalgia!
MooreTrucker
AG
david1968 said:

As a 1989 graduate who was here for the last two of Jackie's Cotton Bowl years, I have nostalgia for the Wrecking Crew, Conference Championships, great come-back wins, Camp Cotton, and the certainty of beating t.u. each year.

What I don't understand, and this is just me, is the nostalgia for girls dressing up and wearing mums. The "scenery" seems to have improved each year, if I am being objective.

One disclaimer to the above: if you married one of the girls in the mums, you are absolutely entitled to said nostalgia!
Dressing up and wearing mums did not detract from the "scenery" at all.
CT'73
AG
Most universities are high schools on steroids. Almost nothing changes the same generic cheers, the made-up mascots and their silly suits, the same band outfits and drills, and "school spirit" that is almost completely dependent on sports success. Texas A&M was different from its inception. As a military school it had a purpose and a focus that was very different from most schools. The students were very loyal to their country and school and respected their heritage. The student body was a much more cohesive group and had pride in everything they did. In high school you might have been a member of a club or team, but when you went to A&M you were part of the whole student body. The whole student body built the Bonfire. The whole student body went on Corps Trips. The whole student body went to Silver Taps. All Aggies said HOWDY to everyone because everyone was important. So school spirit did not have to be manufactured or promoted by something as meaningless as a "homecoming game". The Aggie traditions are unique and are rooted in the Aggies love for each other and their strong sense of service to their country. I always appreciated the fact that Aggies did not need a homecoming and didn't have one just to be like everybody else. As has been stated, every game is a "reunion" whether declared or not. The most significant reunion is Muster. Many Aggies never go to Muster. You are missing out on the Aggie Spirit because it's not about football. I suspect those are the ones that wonder why we don't have a homecoming game. I can go to a homecoming game at every high school and university in the country except A&M. I like it that way.
RogerTheShrubber
Three doors, sorry "tres puertas" hit the nail on the head!! Because we are a former all military school, it's disrespectful to designate a "game" as homecoming since not all former students can "come home"!

Just my opinion
Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
BlackHillsAg99
AG
oklacityag75 said:

Texas A&M is an University, not a high school.
Nailed it
dBoy99
AG
oklacityag75 said:

Texas A&M is an University, not a high school.

"an" University?
champagnepapi
lilsportag02 said:

Feel free to question, however don't judge. As you can see in my original post, I gave my friend an answer and I was just asking fellow Ags if there was a "more political" response. Nothing more...

Has anyone ever called you a "fun person"?
AggieWonWon
OH we dont' have homecoming look how cool we are...whatever...
WILDMAN95
AG
zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

'95 also never lost a conference game (home or away) during our "four" years.
Ggm
When I was a student, dates wore dresses and heels . I bought my date , my mother , my grandmother and her mother a mum . We went to eat after the game due crowds in CS often in Summerville at a grill that surved all you wanted chicken fried steak , cream gravy, mashed potatoes and all the ice tea you needed to rehydrate. My dad wore a suit and tie commonly . My mother would spend the summer reading the fashion page of the Fort Worth Star Telegram to wear the most current fashion always in maroon . The corsage was a white mum with maroon pipe cleaners forming ATM and an appropriate number and length of ribbons . Sold to us by the Dept of Aggriculture the week of the game and delivered on game day at the MSC . Often we rendezvous in the MCS often eating in the cafeteria breakfast or lunch . It was a different time with different standards and expectations.

Today my parents still talk of the 1956 tu game in Austin . My dad talks of the victory and the corps trying to tear down the goal posts but the commander of the corps blew his whistle and the corps formed up and marched out the salliports of the north end of Memorial stadium sans the goal posts . My mom laments the loss of decorum and comportment due a massive runner in her hose . 61 years later and they recall vastly different memories . Interesting they lived in the married student housing south of the end zone and the tennis courts where the Foundation is now . No air conditioning and two rooms - kitchen / den bedroom confluence and a toilet . Happy as clams . Mom never cooked after noon as it heated the room .
marble rye
AG
C4D said:

Cuz its not a high school?
What am i missing.

Yes. This is also the response to "Why don't we get cheerleaders? Why dont we have a twirler or 4? Why dont we body paint? Why dont mommy and daddy move into the dorm with you?"
GreatSullysGhost
zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

Do you really want to go back to the big 12?
Jinkies.
ontheway
AG
We always considered Muster our annual coming together
ontheway
92TXAG
AG
we have class reunions

there are no exes here
Titan83
AG
....says Josh Innes.
MidTnAg
AG
I never heard my mom or dad talk about homecomings while they were students at Aggieland in the 1930s. I never heard of it when I was a student there in the 60s.

We fish were always told that was high school stuff and we were no longer in high school.
aggiehawg
AG
MidTnAg said:

I never heard my mom or dad talk about homecomings while they were students at Aggieland in the 1930s. I never heard of it when I was a student there in the 60s.

We fish were always told that was high school stuff and we were no longer in high school.
Your Mom was a student in the 1930s??
Bonfire96
AG
Could have been, if she were a faculty member's kid.
aggiehawg
AG
Bonfire96 said:

Could have been, if she were a faculty member's kid.
Still, very rare. Cool, though.
zephyr88
AG
WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

Ok, you win... ha!

(But I didn't miss many of those games either)
jj9000
AG
zephyr88 said:

WILDMAN95 said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

zephyr88 said:

KidDoc said:

I miss the defense.

Ok, you win... ha!

(But I didn't miss many of those games either)

I guess.

If you consider dominating inferior regional SWC opponents...then crapping the bed when faced with a real team in a Bowl. The season vs. bowl dates below may be off by a year...but the point remains the same.

91 Cotton Bowl - FSU 10...A&M 2 (that's the offense I remember)
92 Cotton Bowl - ND 28...A&M 3 (that's the offfense I remember)
93 Cotton Bowl - ND 24...A&M 21 (look we scored a touchdown)
94 No Bowl - NCAA 1...A&M 0 (that's the offense I rememeber)

...but hey...we beat Michigan the next year...so 1 out of 4 ain't bad.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.