Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

1976 Team Highlights (just because)

1,459 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WestTexasAg
aTmneal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sarge 77
Wooiooooio! Woodard was a Beast.
Hayes snagged anything close to him.
Jack Cheese
AG
The announcer sounds like he's narrating a WWII newsreel. Hilarious
Picadillo
It was an era that emphasized the run.

Melvin Robertson's 5-4 defense worked great because he had Lester Hayes and Pat Thomas as his defensive backs.

A thing of beauty to watch.

The wishbone was nearly impossible to stop, but frustrating to watch when playing from behind.
Twelfthman99
AG
The 76 team invented the icy whites...
McInnis80
The announcer sound like Jack Dale, the long time voice of Tech.

The 75 game is why I enjoy beating the Razorbacks.
W
AG
the 1976 team is one of the top 3 A&M teams of the past 50 years.

but don't tell that to the texags pundits. Whenever they do an offseason top 50 list of all-time great games, plays, teams, players, etc.., the 76 team is woefully underrepresented and sometimes left off completely.

the 76 squad is the only aggie team to win in both Austin and Fayetteville/Little Rock in the same season...dating back to WWII.

and I believe the 1976 team and the 1922 team (of E.King Gill fame) are the only 2 aggie teams to win in Austin and win a bowl game in the same season
cecil77
AG
Agree. And so did most of the nation by the end of that season.

If.... the '75 Arky debacle...

And the seeds of that were planted in the ridiculous loss to a crappy SMU team in '74 which knocked us out of the Cotton Bowl.

Quote:

Melvin Robertson's 5-4 defense worked great because he had Lester Hayes and Pat Thomas as his defensive backs.
It was a classic 4-3 defense. Robert Jackson may be one of the finest collegiate MLBs to ever play the game. And Pat Thomas was '76, so the 75 team was his last year. That '75 defense has to be on a short list of the best ever. Had they not screwed the pooch against Arky that year, they may well have been the best ever.

So many thoughts watching that:

* Curtis Dickey may be the fastest football player ever. If not, it's a very short list. 3 time NCAA 60M champion, beat Carl Lewis, had a (slightly) wind aided time in the 100 that would have set a world record. I still think if he had been put in an I formation he would have been one of the best ever.

* Tony Franklin's range went to about 75 yards. And slow motion research on his kick showed that he actually punted the ball off the tee, as opposed to a soccer style kick.

* The tu loss was Darrell Royal's last game.

* Lester as an OLB his first two years at A&M. Watching him carry the ball like a cantaloupe was always fun.

* That style of football still looks more like "real football" to me. (shakes fist at cloud)

* Emory Bellard gets way to little credit. One thing that's forgotten is that he was the first SWC coach to aggressively recruit African American athletes. And, at that time there sure didn't seem to be any problem on campus. Heck our SBP was African American. Of course Fred could do most anything he attempted...

WestTexasAg
AG
McInnis80 said:

The announcer sound like Jack Dale, the long time voice of Tech.

The 75 game is why I enjoy beating the Razorbacks.
That's not Jack Dale. Jack Dale was awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.