Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Shoulder injuries, 5 in one game...

8,672 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by yardwhisperer
oldschool87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it really rocket science to figure out why when you take the pads off your shoulders, then run into a hip, or a helmet, or another shoulder and you get hurt???

Put the freaking pads back on the players...
riverrataggie
AG
Not sure what your talking about but usually shoulder injuries are related to poor tackling form.
oldschool87
AG
riverrataggie said:

Not sure what your talking about but usually shoulder injuries are related to poor tackling form.
Not sure what I am talking about...

We had 5 guys leave the game because of shoulder injuries, because they knocked the crap out of the ball carrier with there shoulder. WHICH IS GOOD TACKLING FORM!

But since there is zero padding on your shoulder it breaks.

How are you seriously not sure what I am talking about?
oldschool87
AG
Make it 6, just saw the punt return...
riverrataggie
AG
oldschool87 said:

riverrataggie said:

We had 5 guys leave the game because of shoulder injuries, because they knocked the crap out of the ball carrier with there shoulder. WHICH IS GOOD TACKLING FORM!

Bc I didn't know we had five people leave the game attributes directly to shoulder issues. Saw due to head and other hard hits but not directly shoulder problems. Sheesh you are wired.

And no it's not because of padding. It's bad form.
SidetrackAg
AG
I still have no idea what he is saying
riverrataggie
AG
SidetrackAg said:

I still have no idea what he is saying

We knocked the crap out of people!! We hit them with our shoulders! We have no padding! Bring back the padding!
HoustonAg2014
AG
Are we the only team in the NCAA that chooses to not wear shoulder pads? And people thought we were soft...
riverrataggie
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Are we the only team in the NCAA that chooses to not wear shoulder pads? And people thought we were soft...

Apparently it's tissue instead of pads.
ashley
riverrataggie said:

That's not true. Where did you get that?
5 4
S
Arm tackles and not wrapping up are a result of John Chavis not lack of pads.
Charlie 31
AG
Sumlin has lost control of shoulders...
AnalogyAg
i'm completely lost here.... do we not use shoulder pads?
Jack Cheese
AG
Back in 87 we wore REAL SHOULDER PADS AND NECK ROLLS AND HIP PADS AND KNEE PADS!!! And we never got hurt neither!! It's so simple!!
Jack Cheese
AG
ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

Except that it's absolutely true. I have personally experienced it and have scars to show. Shoulder injuries are almost never related to how big the padding is. Thats not how shoulders work.
TecRecAg
AG
Most shoulder injuries have nothing to do with padding, gramps. It's mostly over extension of the joint. Pads won't fix that. That's why guys wear shoulder braces.
riverrataggie
AG
ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

If you are hitting someone with your shoulder to where it could damage it In the way we see it likely means the tackler is not consistently keeping their head up. leading with crown of helmet.
ashley
Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

Except that it's absolutely true. I have personally experienced it and have scars to show. Shoulder injuries are almost never related to how big the padding is. Thats not how shoulders work.

You mention your experience, what exactly is that?
4stringAg
AG
WHo are the six players with shoulder injuries? Did I miss something?
TXAggie2011
AG
oldschool87 said:

riverrataggie said:

There is a difference between a proper "shoulder tackle" and leading too much with the outside areas of your shoulder trying to throw your body into the ball carrier to hopefully knock the crap out of him or otherwise putting your shoulder in a compromising position due to mistake in tackling form.

Poor tackling form has been a feature of A&M defenses going back for some time now.
03_Aggie
riverrataggie said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

If you are hitting someone with your shoulder to where it could damage it In the way we see it likely means the tackler is not consistently keeping their head up. leading with crown of helmet.

Welcome to the results of CTE.
Deputy Travis Junior
ashley said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

Nam. This was after the protests were in full swing and congress started tightening the purse strings in response, so obviously we didn't have any money for shoulder pads or good tackling instruction.

I saw guys charge Charlie over and over again and lead with their shoulders... WITH NO SHOULDER PADS!!! It was a massacre. Shoulder injuries everywhere. Of course at that point all the good shoulder surgeons had gone home so the typical surgery took place in a second rate opium den.
Sbisa Chef
03_Aggie said:

riverrataggie said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

Welcome to the results of CTE.
OP has CTE. And the gays.
AggieAL1
Padding, like most everything else, has progressed. It's a question of absorbing energy. Modern materials absorb energy much better than materials did 30 years ago. In this case, it's true, size doesn't matter.
SlackerAg
AG
Bama uses more padding in their shoulder pads.
TexasAGGIEinAR
I killed a Mr no-shoulders just the other day.
Jack Cheese
AG
ashley said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

High school football, shoulder surgery. You?
Famous Shoes
AG
oldschool87 said:

riverrataggie said:

cevans_40
AG
Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

This isn't going to go as you hoped
Meximan
GreatSullysGhost
Is the spelling thing a schtick?
Jinkies.
Jack Cheese
AG
cevans_40 said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

This isn't going to go as you hoped

How so? Question asked and answered (by me). Is Ashley seriously going to argue that more/bigger pads would lead to fewer shoulder injuries? Or that shoulder injuries are more attributable to unpadded impact than to extension and thrust?
ashley
Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

Jack Cheese said:

ashley said:

riverrataggie said:

Coaching for many years.
Jock 07
Bob Harris
This thread was like a weird trip to an old folks home...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.