Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

what are the odds that Sumlin fired between now and LSU?

8,131 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cannon91
Picadillo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's coaching like he knows he's gone already.

Same pattern of behavior as when he left U of H. He gave up on the kids late in the season and coached like he didn't give a flying **** about the Conf USA championship game, where he was rolled by Larry Fedora.
bufrilla
AG
What bunch of dumb remarks. You are just as bad as the bozo from the BOR.
cheeky
AG
The odds are improving
Unemployed
AG
TMartin said:

Not as likely since Sumlin's wife went public with "the letter." Sumlin can afford a good agent/lawyer.
He's going to get a $10MM buyout so what exactly is he going to sue for? Unless we fire him with cause, I see no reason why Sumlin would sue.
Unemployed
AG
And I see no benefit of firing him mid-season unless we have a permanent replacement for him on the current staff.

You guys don't remember what happened with Arky and John L. Smith? That was a big ol' clusterfk.
aggie_accountant
AG
RealTalk said:

And I see no benefit of firing him mid-season unless we have a permanent replacement for him on the current staff.

You guys don't remember what happened with Arky and John L. Smith? That was a big ol' clusterfk.
The benefit of firing a coach before the end of the season is from a recruiting standpoint. The recruits that are currently "committed" to A&M know that Sumlin is likely a lame duck coach. If we let go of him before season's end, then we can give the kids some hope that we are committed to improving things.
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it." -John Wooden
Nino Brown
HowdyTAMU said:

Have the BMAs even agreed on a priority order for our new coach? Doubtful, as they seem more interested in winning debates than winning games.
What happens when you start getting old and your balls and your ***** start to shrink men with money start fighting for power and control even more because they're pissed they're losing their manhood. Therefor ****ty results wiith BMAs
BQ_90
AG
99%
Gigem713
0% chance and I'll give you 3 reasons:
The letter makes it a difficult thing legally to fire him.
We are dealing with injuries to key players that give him a plausible excuse for losing or underperforming.
John Sharp is busy rebuilding Texas after Harvey and does not have time for this BS right now.
Sparkie
AG
Wouldnt be surprised to see him still here next year.
Loco84
AG
dude95 said:

So you fire him mid season..then what? Do you guys have more faith in our coordinators to take over? I'd be fine if one side of the ball was stinking it up and we were good with the other. Same if there was a coach who we thought could help us limp to the end. As a pretty big Sumlin supporter, I concede at the end of the year he is gone. just don't see a reason to do it now ....i don't have any faith it will make anything better.

I think Jeff Banks would be interesting.
KidDoc
AG
I think he gets fired after we lose to Bama 100-0 at home.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Unemployed
AG
Gigem713 said:

The letter makes it a difficult thing legally to fire him.
There are ten million reasons why it is not.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
I do not believe he will be fired before the LSU game.

I do not believe this team will have a record as good as 6-6.

I do not believe in Santa Claus.
(but I often wish I did)

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
SeattleAgJr
As I stated on Saturday, he will be gone by Bye Week.

#IAmTheNewRojo
Gigem713
Realtalk, I don't think you are familiar with civil rights law or employment discrimination litigation. I am not either but I understand the potential for this to look very ugly. I like KDS and I have been one of his biggest supporters on this website. He is not perfect and we are all disappointed by that but I think a lot of people on this website would be disappointed with anyone who did not have an undefeated season. KDS is a good man and has done a fine job of putting together competitive teams (with some stumbles here and there) and is a leader that has helped his kids grow both as men and as players.
redsnapper101
Is someone would get off their ass and call Bob Stoops now, he could be here in time to coach against Ark!

I don't thin we will can him mid season, but does anyone think he will make it to next year? If not, Get Stoops now, and secure some recruits!
Reinhold72
AG
there are NO excuses for failure in year 6
Unemployed
AG
Gigem713 said:

Realtalk, I don't think you are familiar with civil rights law or employment discrimination litigation. I am not either but I understand the potential for this to look very ugly. I like KDS and I have been one of his biggest supporters on this website. He is not perfect and we are all disappointed by that but I think a lot of people on this website would be disappointed with anyone who did not have an undefeated season. KDS is a good man and has done a fine job of putting together competitive teams (with some stumbles here and there) and is a leader that has helped his kids grow both as men and as players.
He received a derogatory letter from an anonymous person and all of a sudden he's untouchable? Sht, if that's true and I was a coach that's on the hot seat, I'll write that damn letter myself.

A&M has paid him $30MM+ and he'll get another $10MM if we fire him and that screams discrimination?
McInnis80
We fired Emory Bellard in the middle of the 78 season after getting shut out by Houston and losing at home to a winless Baylor team (who burned the red shirt on Walter Abercrombie). Tom Wilson took over, broke the wishbone and threw deep on his first play against Rice.
JPK89
AG
RDV-1992 said:

There is 0% chance he is fired prior to the conclusion of the regular season.

There is an 80% chance is he fired at the conclusion of the regular season.
I'll take the over on both.
SeattleAgJr
Gigem713 said:

Oh, FFS

We can fire him for any reason.

His contract is guaranteed. If we chose to move on, we get to move.

He still gets paid either way.

No discrimination involved. His record, his lack of in conference success, etc. is more than justification to send him packing.
Traveler
AG
merch said:

It is quite possible he lays a big enough egg to get fired mid season. If Bama beats by 50 how can he be the coach the next day.

Because Bama's already beaten us by 50 and he was the coach for the next 900+ days (or so - and no, I didn't count).

Edit: **** it's coming up on 3 years, so 1000+ "next day's" and counting.
HoustonAg2106
AG
People who think it will be difficult to fire Sumlin because of "the letter" have no idea what they are talking about.
Traveler
AG
redsnapper101 said:

Is someone would get off their ass and call Bob Stoops now, he could be here in time to coach against Ark!

I don't thin we will can him mid season, but does anyone think he will make it to next year? If not, Get Stoops now, and secure some recruits!

What ****** would quit their dream job because they're burned out/want to retire to immediately take a much crappier job here they'd have to work even harder just to be marginally competitive?

Does anyone seriously think Stoops would come here? Even just to cash checks? He doesn't seem like the Spurrier type who'd just treat the gig as semi-retirement.
JaySugar
We didn't fire Emory Bellard in the middle of the season, he resigned on his own.
JustisWalkert
AG
Barring a total cluster**** game, he'll be here until the end of the year. Regardless, I suspect conversations are already underway with potential replacements. On a contingent basis, of course.
possecomitatus
Not our style, so I would say less than 5%
trm94
AG
Boosters have already been contacting agents to ascertain interest. Wheels are in motion
dirty dan
Gigem713 said:

You sound just like the dullards that wanted LSU to keep Les Miles. Sumlin might be a nice guy, but he doesn't develop athletes and he doesn't win football games. You can hire a Scout leader for less than $5 million.
turboboost
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

He'll be here until LSU bashes our teeth in. They won't fire him until then. Zero chance he's gone mid season.
Why wait until LSU...University of Louisiana L might handle LSU's light weight.
MaroonStain
AG
Word(s) of warning: Once this all goes down (barring a major freak finish for a 9-3 record even then I think Sumlin leaves) and new staff is hired, be prepared to endure a couple of losing seasons and rebirth of tu prominence.
TecRecAg
AG
He won't be fired mid-season because we don't have a single coach on our staff who could perform as an interim.
ghowe
AG
The reason for firming the coach mid-season is to send a message to those in the organization, primarily the players and potential recruits, that the current level of productivity and organizational direction is unacceptable and a change is being made. When the elephant is in the room to this extent, it fosters feelings of uncertainty. Uncertainty breeds apathy, malaise, discontent, and negativity of all kinds. You don want that festering any longer than necessary.
tjack16
AG
lets see how we do against Arkansas and South Carolina first... if we go into Bama week 4-1 and have the QB situation ironed out then we still have a chance for a decent season.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.