Story Poster
Photo by Lindsay Caudle, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Thoughts on the hate-filled letter sent to Kevin Sumlin

September 8, 2017

So the Aggies lost a football game on Sunday night and it's been a busy week of writing articles and talking on radio for yours truly since returning from L.A. The first week back on the grind is always tough and it's especially tough when you're trying to break down what happened during a truly inexplicable loss like the one we all saw unfold at the Rose Bowl. Emotions run high and, suddenly, for some reason folks begin to think it's okay for Aggies to attack Aggies all over message boards and on social media. It's rough out there on Aggie Twitter, in The Zoo and even inside the Premium forums. No one is safe and even I knew on the long flight home that there would be plenty of folks coming for their pound of e-flesh for me or anyone else who dared compliment this team or its coaches and players at any point during the six-month off-season. 

Guess what? As far as I'm concerned, that comes with the territory. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but I feel like we at TexAgs have created a pretty nice gig, we receive a lot of positive attention and the community is usually an amazing place to convene to talk Aggie sports. It's comprised of not good but truly great people. All you need to do is look at the rich history of folks on this site helping others in time of need for proof of that. That's also the case when it comes to the Texas A&M fan and alumni base from coast to coast. From the Red, White and Blue Out to the Maroon Wall to this weekend's BTHO Harvey fundraiser and countless smaller acts of group and individual kindness in between, Aggies are always there to lend a helping hand.

Despite that, the fact of the matter is that frustration occasionally gets the best of some of us. It happens. You lost your mind on Sunday night and got banned from TexAgs? Take to Twitter and say that I'm a thin-skinned jerk, more power to you. The Aggies blow a 34-point lead and drop a game to UCLA that they had no business losing? Take to the TexAgs forums, call into the Finebaum Show and criticize Kevin Sumlin on Twitter until you get it all out. As far as I'm concerned, that too comes with the territory. 

For Sumlin and college football coaches from coast to coast, thick skin and the ability to walk through life (especially when it comes to social media) with blinders on is virtually a job requirement. Like many college coaches, Kevin is testy and defensive with the media at times, but he understands that being second-guessed and even ripped for any failures (real or perceived) following losses like Sunday night's incredibly frustrating setback are part of what you sign up for when you put your John Hancock on a $5MM/yr contract.

What you don't sign up for, however, is for your family to be harassed by an angry fan at any point along the way, no matter how bad a game or season goes. And you damned sure don't sign up to be targeted by an card-carrying racist pig. Ever.

On Thursday night, Charlene Sumlin posted a picture of a hate-filled, racially-charged letter — complete with an utterly disgusting slur — that was either mailed or placed in the mailbox of the Sumlin home. My first feeling when I read the note was complete and utter disgust. "Who in their right mind could ever write that, send it and walk away feeling good about themselves?" Then came anger. "What I wouldn't give to be able to literally break the hand that wrote that letter..."

Now? I'm just saddened by it. Truth is, we may never know the monster who put those words — and THAT word — to paper. What I do know, however, is this: Kevin Sumlin is a friend of mine and has been since sometime around 2000, long before he or I ever imagined he'd be the head football coach at Texas A&M. That's also the time I got to know Char and their family, which at the time included their two daughters, Courtney and Shelby, and didn't quite yet include Jackson and Joey. We lit a cigar when he was promoted to offensive coordinator by R.C. Slocum back in 2002 and I spent the afternoon with Kevin and his parents when he was coaching in Norman following 77-0. Since he took over in College Station, it hasn't always been easy ... especially with me covering his team through some tough times of late. We certainly don't always see eye to eye and have had our differences but the friendship will survive his time at A&M whether he's ultimately fired (something I'd cover as extensively and in-depth as I did his hiring in 2012), leaves Aggieland on his own accord or retires in the Maroon & White several years from now.

So last night, a friend and his family had to experience all of the anger, rage, unimaginable frustration, probably even a slight loss of faith in humanity that comes with a racially-motivated attack (and that's exactly what this was) and that makes me sick. And for what? Because he's not winning enough football games for this cowardly racists taste? Because a fan of another school went out of their way to give Texas A&M a very public black eye? To kick a man when he's down? 

Well, even though the thought of Char or Kevin (or God forbid one of their children) opening that letter makes me cringe, I do know this much: The Aggie head coach won't let this outwardly phase him. I spoke to him this evening not to talk about the UCLA loss but simply to let him know how disgusted I was to see that letter and I could hear the disappointment in his voice. Then again, I know that Sumlin will do the same thing that his late father, Bill, did when he dealt with racism every day while growing up and later serving as a high school coach in the segregated South. He'll persevere. He'll also focus on the task at hand, which is figuring out how to get his team to bounce back from a bitterly-disappointing season-opening loss, setting the same example for his players that his father set for him as a young man, which is to not allow hate or prejudice derail your day, your drive or your dream.

That's especially true when the message comes from a single, cowardly and (shocker) anonymous source. Make no mistake, this racist toad in no way represents the Aggie fan as a whole. That's another part of this story that saddens me. Like most of you, I wear my Aggie Ring proudly and I live in this community. Just like the jackass who left a particularly hateful note on then-A&M quarterback Corey Pullig's car 20 years ago following a big-game loss, the author of the Sumlin note does not accurately represent the 12th Man and the spirit of what being an Aggie is about (assuming the culprit actually attended the university). Unfortunately, most who pick up this story won't include that disclaimer and our school takes the hit and the sad thing is there are rival recruiters, both white and black alike mind you, who will attempt to use this story to their advantage without conscience. Don't fault Char Sumlin for letting that note go public and quickly go viral, however, because it's important for us to get the occasional, disturbing reminder that this type of crap hasn't gone away simply because there are more coaches of color today than there were 10, 15 or 20 years ago.

Sumlin likely felt as if he was fighting for his job this week and I'm sure he was. He may well be doing so between now and November, feeling the pressure and riding the wave of each win or loss. That's what he signed up for when he took over in Aggieland and parlayed a white-hot start into a big, SEC-caliber financial windfall. What he didn't think he'd be fighting this week was unabashed racism and I wish I knew who the scumbag was that woke up Monday and thought a football game gave them a license to be a bigoted animal.

Consider this my letter and feel free to include your own on this thread. This doesn't have anything to do with wins or losses and won't have any bearing whatsoever on Sumlin's future in Aggieland. As far as the present is concerned, I'm of the opinion that it would be nice to give the head coach and his family something to smile about today in light of what happened yesterday.

And if you disagree and think language such as the one in that letter is acceptable, please cancel your subscription because you and your money aren't wanted on the site or this community that we've worked so hard to build.

Discussion from...

Thoughts on the hate-filled letter sent to Kevin Sumlin

27,932 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texan1976
blueagg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Searched for the words to write in reading this post and I think the last poster represented my thoughts very well - Eagle 78. Awful letter that was sent - no explanation or excuse for it. Despicable. As somebody that has seen and experienced racism, I feel that nobody that knows me would question the way I feel about this.

Having said that, I'm sorry, but there is similarly no reason for sharing this publicly unless you are done with a company/a university in this instance, and no longer have a desire to continue as a representative of the entity. This was not the first racist comment or letter that was or will be sent and was intentional to share - and not intentional as a way to make a point of racism that exists in the world. I am sorry but if you don't believe that this occurs you are fooling yourself that the world is absent of individuals that are on the extremes of one belief or another. Sorry if this offends anyone but felt compelled to share.
Speedystooth
AG
Fake letter dip*****
Lukeno
AG
My thoughts exactly Blue..
You are kidding yourself to think THIS is the first "hate mail" Sumlin has received in his tenure at A&M.
It's despicable, but I'd assume it happens.

When a regent condemns your career, you condemn your employer... I don't agree with the guy, but I completely understand why that letter made the news..
dropkickaggie
AG
I'm loving seeing a lot of support for Sumlin and his family at this time - that's what we as Aggies should do, support our Aggie family.

I'm seeing a lot of posting about how Mrs. Sumlin shouldn't have posted on social media, and truth be told if that is your opinion, I can respect that, because everyone's opinion (with exception of the short sighted bigotry this pathetic racist decided to express) should be respected, and I can personally understand your point of view.

These two stances/opinions are mutually exclusive, so I don't believe that if you didn't think this should have gotten out the way it did, that you are somehow supporting the horrific actions of a terrible, bigoted individual.

However, out of all the replies on this thread, it's the one's about Mrs. Sumlin putting the letter on social media that are highlighted blue, which tells me that there are several on here who think that our unversity's reputation (which will survive this, I promise you), the media's reaction and the adverse effect on recruiting are somehow higher priority issues and more worthy of note than a member of our community whose family was discriminated against, was reminded that there are pieces of filth still out there who will do what it takes to tear them down, and most importantly had their safety threatened, for Christs sake.

Once again, fair opinion, but think hard about what's really important, y'all.
Eagle78
@dropkickaggie -- fyi, I was following your post pretty well, and then it veered into a direction I found somewhat confusing and self contradictory. And then I re-read your post again and realized the issue: you may want to edit your comment to instead say "are not mutually exclusive" and not simply "are mutually exclusive."
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I was angry at Sumlin as a coach on Sunday, not as a man, there's nothing about his character that bothers me. He didn't deserve this kind of bull****, and I agree with everything Liucci said.
Eg
"I'm loving seeing a lot of support for Sumlin and his family at this time - that's what we as Aggies should do, support our Aggie family."

The above statement reflects the true feelings of the Aggie nation. We should support Coach Sumlin by shouting his name when he comes on the field.

Sports is not life and death. It is just a game.
Eagle eye
texasaggie84
AG
I was at the UCLA game and am thoroughly disappointed in Sumlin, Chavis and Mazonne. All three are at fault. However, all three are from everything I've heard and read very good gentlemen. A letter being written like the one Sumlin received is inexcusable. That language, or any language resembling it, is atrocious. I hope the person that wrote it is not an Aggie and believe they probably are not. You don't have to like the coaching BUT there will never be an acceptable reason for demeaning and dispicable language being used toward a gentleman or a lady.
dellgriffith
AG
So much virtue signaling on this thread and in the article.
Of course the letter is despicable. We have no idea who it came from. Social media is the worst.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rscrash87
IMO releasing this letter on twitter was a sign of frustration on Mrs. Sumlin's part. I feel for the Sumlins - seeing the "n" word in a letter is painful and disgusting and should not be excused, but I think she should not have released it.

I don't think she should have released it because we don't know who sent it. This letter and the stir it has caused casts a negative light on our school and fan base - the very school and fan base that pays their salary. Releasing this letter does no one any good.

I don't think she should have released it because hate mail to coaches is nothing new. Of course the letter is inexcusable, but is this the first letter that Sumlin - or any coach for that matter received that threatened them or called them names? I'm sure the Sumlin kids have not opened a letter for years. Every coach - EVERY coach has at one time or another gotten letters or messages calling them everything under the sun. I am sure Sumlin has mail bags full of letters that he has received from the "Aggie Faithful" as well as other that call him every derogatory remark under the sun including the "n" or worse (if there is one). "Or else?" Surely half of those letters I mentioned are even more horrifyingly detailed and graphic as to specific threats that will become them if they don't leave.

With that said, Take a step back and think about how we "Aggie Faithful" have acted since the 4th quarter of the UCLA game - or even the end of last season. Compound that with an arrogant Regent who has shown how classless Aggies can be and double down by publicly standing behind his ridiculous statement.

I don't think Mrs. Sumlin should have released this letter - but I have not walked in her shoes the past week... the past year... 5 years.

The reality is coaches get hate mail and people suck! I just wish we were better!
blueagg
AG
Agree. No coach at a heavily followed D1 football school, Large company, professional team, is absent of ignorant and "awful human" letters. The choice to use it as a platform on social media is sad to see. Don't give me the line that kids could have opened it when you choose to post on social media after receiving. To me, this makes me lose a lot of respect for Coach Sumlin. This is not a pivot made that is not something that isn't discussed with your agent and various others if you are in the position you are. I love my university, but am not naive to think there are not ignorant individuals that exist in many universities - both for the left and right. It's nice to think in terms of the virtuous posts on this thread about how we are sure that no Aggie would have sent this, but that is just not reality.
pinche gringo
AG
AGinHI said:

"...your family to be harassed by an angry fan?"

How do you know it's a fan? What if it is someone that has no affiliation or interest in A&M at all, and maybe is not even racist, but someone who wants to cause irreparable harm to our university and football program?

Your article is biased and represents the emotional overreactions and turmoil the country is going through without first obtaining any objective information.

This. So much this.
pinche gringo
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Not only is it OK that Charlene posted the letter, but it's important that she did.
No! No! No! She gave the idiot EXACTLY what she / he wanted - attention. If she had thrown it away, the person would have never known if anyone had seen it. MORE IMPORTANTLY, they wouldn't have had the satisfaction of knowing it made an impact.

Sometimes you have to ignore. Sometimes you have to look away.

Billy - You - in the same way - gave this idiot importance. Your reaction is what gives legs to these stories and allows this letter to live and grow.

And this.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Any update from local PD? I highly recommend everybody not rely on Rusty Surette to do any investigative journalism. We'll take it from here.

I would love some swift "justice" though whatever that means. Is this just going to be another Lebron thing where everybody accepts it at face value and all agree that racism sucks?

This can't be that hard to solve within the first 48. Has anybody heard a statement from local PD or a anything else from the administration? Statement from the Sumlin's?

Of course not.

bjork
The Debt
Thoughts on the letter...unlikely.

People confuse emotions with thinking all the time.
Texan1976
Deputy Travis Junior said:

EDIT: I is not a good reader

Nice letter, Billy. The person who wrote this is a racist pig.

Or another SJW hoax.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.