Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Over/under 7

10,423 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
Krazykat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll get 6 wins this season.
Al Bula
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

I agree 100% that this administration is pathetic. I want Sharp, Young and Woodard gone.
I am a pretty damn big pot banger but I don't think Woodward belongs on this list until after the season.

It is hard keeping athletics separate from academics given the hate speech Young and Sharp endorse, but I'd like to keep Woodward apart from these two dewsh rags until we see how 2017-2018 athletic year wraps up.

- I think BK deserves a year after 2016-2017 because of all the talent we lost from the previous year.

- Childress is no slouch but he can't get over the hump, but still hard to fire him when baseball doesn't underperform... they just can't get out of the supers. This year will be worse but Childress will be back for 2017-2018 barring some underage hooker incidents or something similar.

- Sumlin... I think he is the first one of the three to get fired. Again, that doesn't come til after the 2017 season (or maybe midway if it is truly that bad).

As Aggies we have lofty expectations, and rightly so. However the amount of money Sumlin is owed coupled with his slightly above average performance was NEVER going to get him fired before this season at the earliest.

Therefore trying to pin any of your butthurt on Woodward makes you look just another chump.
downhomeaggie12
Who cares if he is black? I'm as conservative as they come but if you think they are going to risk there jobs just to keep a black head coach you are high. I agree we haven't been 11-2 every year under his coaching but neither were we under Sherman, Franccione or Coach Slocum for that matter and they were white and still couldn't coach other than coach Slocum.

Are we getting Saban, Meyer, Sweeney or some other elite coach to leave and come to College Station? No so until you have a documented, proven, better, more qualified hire we will take 8-5 to 10-3 every year with multiple 1st round NFL picks, No recruiting or major student athlete scandals (See Baylor University) and constant top 15 recruiting classes.
Agristotle
AG
So you are satisfied with Aggie football finishing unranked the last THREE seasons? You don't think A&M has enough resources to finish ranked in the top 25?!
W
AG
as posted before...

the 3 pillars of the Sumlin era have been:

1. winning the marquee September non-conference game
2. beating Arkansas
3. beating South Carolina

and once again all 3 of these pillars will be tested in the first month of the season. If any of them should fall so to speak...the 2017 season could go downhill in a hurry
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I've been optimistic the last 4 seasons... it's time to go pessimistic and see if I can maybe be pleasantly surprised... it might help my psyche...

6-6 this year
CrazyDayDuck
Agristotle said:

So you are satisfied with Aggie football finishing unranked the last THREE seasons? You don't think A&M has enough resources to finish ranked in the top 25?!

Notice how these losers resort to the pathetic, "But but but ... we can't find anyone that's any better."

Give me a break.
CrazyDayDuck
RPM said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

I agree 100% that this administration is pathetic. I want Sharp, Young and Woodard gone.
I am a pretty damn big pot banger but I don't think Woodward belongs on this list until after the season.

It is hard keeping athletics separate from academics given the hate speech Young and Sharp endorse, but I'd like to keep Woodward apart from these two dewsh rags until we see how 2017-2018 athletic year wraps up.

- I think BK deserves a year after 2016-2017 because of all the talent we lost from the previous year.

- Childress is no slouch but he can't get over the hump, but still hard to fire him when baseball doesn't underperform... they just can't get out of the supers. This year will be worse but Childress will be back for 2017-2018 barring some underage hooker incidents or something similar.

- Sumlin... I think he is the first one of the three to get fired. Again, that doesn't come til after the 2017 season (or maybe midway if it is truly that bad).

As Aggies we have lofty expectations, and rightly so. However the amount of money Sumlin is owed coupled with his slightly above average performance was NEVER going to get him fired before this season at the earliest.

Therefore trying to pin any of your butthurt on Woodward makes you look just another chump.

Being satisfied with losing makes you a loser.
TexasAggie_97
AG
samatron said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Anything less than 9 wins will result in a coaching change.
Probably..lets hope we get 9+!
See now I was hoping for 6-7 just to force a change. I am tired of Sumlin's methods which has resulted in 7-8 win seasons for years. He caught lightening in a bottle with JFF but since then he has really not done much to earn his salary. In fact many schools have done far more with far less.
FriscoKid
AG
Under
njohn87
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Agristotle said:

Notice how these losers resort to the pathetic, "But but but ... we can't find anyone that's any better."

Give me a break.
8-10 wins a year as a baseline is more than decent for this program in this conference. There's probably about a 1 in 5 chance the next hire actually exceeds the level we've been at for the past 5 years, and maybe a 1 in 3 chance that the next hire makes us substantially worse. With where we are now, it's not worth the risk. If we go 6-6 I'll be happy to reconsider.
CoolAggie
AG
Early CFB Over/Unders

Quote:

Alabama 10.5 -150o
Ohio State 10 -125o
Oklahoma 9.5 -145o
Florida State 9.5 -130o
Penn State 9.5 -125u
Wisconsin 9.5 -125o
USC 9.5 -135o
Washington 9.5
Clemson 9
Oklahoma State 9
Virginia Tech 9
Louisville 9 -120o
LSU 9 -120o
Michigan 9
Miami 8.5 -120u
Stanford 8.5 -130u
Auburn 8
Oregon 8
Florida 8 -120u
Georgia 8
Colorado 7.5 -125u
Pittsburgh 7.5
Kansas State 7.5 -125u
NC State 7.5
Tennessee 7.5 -130u
Texas 7.5 -120u
Washington State 7.5 -125o
West Virginia 7 -120o
Texas A&M 7
TCU 7 -125o
North Carolina 7
Northwestern 7
Arkansas 7
Iowa 6.5 -120u
Georgia Tech 6.5
Michigan State 6.5 -130u
Missouri 6.5 -120o
Utah 6.5 -120o
Nebraska 6 -125o
Texas Tech 6 -120u
UCLA 6 -135o
Kentucky 6 -130o
Indiana 5.5
Arizona 5.5
Mississippi State 5.5
South Carolina 5.5 -125u
Duke 5.5
Gigem713
I say 10 but I want to be realistic and will back off to 9.
Maroon Dawn
AG
We're gonna struggle terribly this year on both sides of the ball so it's gonna be like November all season long.

We might still make a bowl game if we get some lucky breaks

5 wins most likely
Bone6
Quote:

So you think we'll either win 5 games or less, or 9 games or more? That's dumb.

How so, as more and more pressure is put on Sumlin, I do think there is a decent chance that our season either goes one of two ways:

A) . The wheels completely fall off with another year of mediocre or worse QB play. Sumlin loses the team by the beginning of November.

B) . One of these unproven QB's gives us the QB performance we needed and we have the best year here since Johnny.

I'm also assuming that by putting money on those win totals of less than 6 and greater than 8 you would be given a higher payout than simply betting more than 7 or less than 7.
4ZORRO
AG
No bet, 7 very likely.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Which 7 do we win??
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Under. 5-7 or 6-6, 7-5 would be a miracle. First game may be ugly and reset many Aga expectations.

But Sumlin won't get fired, he'll be given 2018 to try to turn it around, which he likely will to 8-4 then 9-4 or 8-5 after bowl game.

It's not just that his K is guaranteed, his Knis so stupid and one-sided we owe him the entire amount within 60 days. And the contract has NO mitigation clause where the buyout would be reduced by any level of replacement salary. Of course you can't really have that clause with a full buyout within 60 days.

That's right Aggies, for slightly less pay but substantially less results, Sumlin has a stronger contract than Saban.....
BMX Bandit
Jarrin' Jay said:

Under. 5-7 or 6-6, 7-5 would be a miracle. First game may be ugly and reset many Aga expectations.

But Sumlin won't get fired, he'll be given 2018 to try to turn it around, which he likely will to 8-4 then 9-4 or 8-5 after bowl game.

It's not just that his K is guaranteed, his Knis so stupid and one-sided we owe him the entire amount within 60 days. And the contract has NO mitigation clause where the buyout would be reduced by any level of replacement salary. Of course you can't really have that clause with a full buyout within 60 days.

That's right Aggies, for slightly less pay but substantially less results, Sumlin has a stronger contract than Saban.....

Last sentence is fake news.

And there is zero chance sumlin returns if we win 5 or 6 games.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Disagree

He'll get the "but we were young and rebuilding so wait till next year!" excuse and be back for 2018
2thFixinAg
I never bet on Aggie sporting events. Learned my lesson a long time ago. Fandom colors my choices. Often more optimistic than i should be or too pessimistic. I do much better betting on teams that I don't care if they win or lose. Judgement is better.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
BMX, Saban's K has gone up and now he makes much more than Sumlin, not just 10-25% more. However, Saban's K is a guaranteed payout over the life of the contract, and the $ from Bama is reduced by any new salary.

This was at least true last year. Regardless, the contract terms we gave Sumlin are ridiculous, especially when you consider WHEN the revised K was signed (8-5).
BMX Bandit
Jarrin' Jay said:

BMX, Saban's K has gone up and now he makes much more than Sumlin, not just 10-25% more. However, Saban's K is a guaranteed payout over the life of the contract, and the $ from Bama is reduced by any new salary.

This was at least true last year. Regardless, the contract terms we gave Sumlin are ridiculous, especially when you consider WHEN the revised K was signed (8-5).
lots of words, but Sumlin still doesn't have a stronger contract than Saban.
TMartin
Aggie men's sports coaches have figured out good recruiting classes buys them time and probably gives administration a reason to procrastinate.. Sumlin seems to play games not to lose rather than to go for it so maybe we find out if he actually has any sense of urgency this year. Bottom line is if Kyle Field has 100,000 "paid" tickets for home games nothing is going to happen.
BMX Bandit
TMartin said:

Aggie men's sports coaches have figured out good recruiting classes buys them time and probably gives administration a reason to procrastinate.. Sumlin seems to play games not to lose rather than to go for it so maybe we find out if he actually has any sense of urgency this year. Bottom line is if Kyle Field has 100,000 "paid" tickets for home games nothing is going to happen.
False.
Jevertson
AG
Think it's worth mentioning our schedule is less favorable this year than the past few given at ucla at Florida. I know ucla isn't that good but road game west coast and team that wants payback for last season...

I think our offense will be able to manufacture points well enough to compete with all but the elite sec defenses but unless I'm missing something, our pass rush is going to struggle mightily this season...

Certainly won't be favored in 7 games this season...
BMX Bandit
will for sure be favored in 6. the question mark to get to 7 times favored is ole miss. If played today, we would be favored, but a lot can happen between now and then.
I think I say this every year but keep in mind being favored is not a projected win. Unless you are favored by 30 or more, it is a PORTION of a projected win.

For instance, if we were 10 point favorites in all 12 games, that would not yield dan implied win total of 12. It would yield an implied win total around 8.5 games.
67walkon
Damn I pray under
Deputy Travis Junior
This is a 4 to 6 win team depending on how the breaks go. We have a below average OL and inexperienced QB, and are replacing a ton at WR. Our defense is losing its biggest strength (pass rush, courtesy of Garrett and Hall), so now we won't be able to pressure the passer in addition to giving up rush yards in gobs. Our defense won't be as bad as the 2013 unit, but it will draw comparisons to it from time to time.
jml2621
Push. Spot on.
jickyjack1
Agristotle said:

Enough resources to finish ranked in the top 25?

What more are you going to do than build a half-billion-dollar stadium?

Same old same old -- throw money at it.

It can and, when wisely applied, does help. But the only way it wins football games, itself, is through payoffs. Is that what you are calling for?

Sumlin shouldn't get "forever", but he should get at least two more years unless the wheels completely come off this season. Which they won't; eight or more wins are reasonable and would represent a launching pad to the trajectory everyone's been looking for.

But hell no. Instead, hire somebody who will have to go through the same "rough as a cobb" education Sumlin has (gamely) endured and who you will end up hoping can make the same adjustments. Not to say the Aggies couldn't get lucky, of course. What're the chances, do ya think?

Much more likely, in a few years when there's a very good chance you could have been in the thick of things, you'll (collectively; not just 'you') be raising the same hell at another guy and calling for somebody new.

What's the difference this time? The difference is the SEC.

You've got the stadium. You've got the attendant facilities. You've finally assembled the coaches. You're bringing in and fortifying players who can be effective toe-to-toe in the toughest, most unforgiving division of the roughest league in college football.

Don't let go of the rope now.

Agristotle
AG
Great facilities, great education, geographic proximity to the finest high school football in the country and a rabid fan base. There are several coaches out there who could take all those advantages and build a program that could finish ranked in the top 25, at least occasionally. Woodward stated emphatically that 8-5 isn't good enough and he's right. Win big this year or it will be past time to give someone else a chance.
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

Sumlin shouldn't get "forever", but he should get at least two more years
We hold a nation-wide referendum on the American Presidency, the most important job on Earth, every 4 years, and you think we need 7 years to figure out if Sumlin is a good coach? GTFO here with that. We already know what he is: mediocre to below average.

He had absolutely everything on his side. Manziel + unparalleled donations made A&M one of the 5 sexiest programs in the country, and at the height of that mania, we built him a half billion stadium and a locker room + training center that cost millions more. A&M's stock has never been higher than what it was at the end of 2012. Sumlin did jack diddly with it. Pulled in some good classes in the spring and served up 8-5 in the fall.
jickyjack1
Doesn't sound like you need to worry about ropeburn.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.