Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would OU have more or less success in the SEC?

13,425 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Windy City Ag
02skiag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's all about recruiting. They had the better brand when we were in the same conference and continually out recruited us. The SEC has boosted our brand significantly and now we recruit on par or higher than Oklahoma. If the tables were turned and they were in the SEC, their brand would have sky rocketed while ours would have likely gone further down. The SEC is the best thing that could have happened for us.
Secolobo
AG
For every big red motors that gets busted they have nine others. They have a system. We have unorganized factions...
GreatSullysGhost
aggie813 said:

I think they'd do about the same...For every win against Arky, Ole Miss and MSU, they'd lose to Bama, Auburn and LSU.
Didn't they win their games against Bama and Auburn in the Sugar Bowls?
Caesar4
AG
To answer the original question....more or less.
Bruce Almighty
AG
We started recruiting better when we joined the SEC, so I think its fair to say that they'd also start recruiting better after joining the SEC. If they were better than us in the Big 12, then its likely they'd be better than us in the SEC. They also recruit more nationally than we do, so joining a better conference would also help with the national guys.
Texagsubscriber
OU has championship expectations. We have be "reasonably good" expectations. Any neutral person can see the difference between the two programs.
AGGies0311
"We" as in A&M because then we would have to compete more.
aggie813
GreatSullysGhost said:

aggie813 said:

I think they'd do about the same...For every win against Arky, Ole Miss and MSU, they'd lose to Bama, Auburn and LSU.
Didn't they win their games against Bama and Auburn in the Sugar Bowls?

Yeah, a game at the end of the year with a month to prepare and not playing the riggers of an SEC schedule for an entire year. How about Bama and Auburn in back to back weeks?
Geo_Storm
AG
Im sure that they would have won all of the games that we won this year... and they wouldn't have choked the last few games like we did against very bad teams.
So, that being said.. they would have made playoff at the end of the season. I sure that would make them more successful than us.
carl spacklers hat
OU is maybe a total of 5 games better in the SEC over the previous 5 years. To suggest that they would be "infinitely" better is ridiculous, especially when applying their results in the Big XII as the barometer for how they would fare in the SEC. That's akin to comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.
agforlife97
AG
I think overall they'd be a couple of games better. Their coaches are better and they play physical defense, something we still can't do after 5 years.
ashley
Of course they would. Funny question.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Infinitely better? No

Significantly better? Absolutely. Just like they were significantly better than us when we were in the same conference. Their football program is much better than ours as a whole.
Maroon Flash
AG
We have an "Old Rivalries" board for this bs.
Aftermath
AG
They are one of the richest programs in the country, both financially and History/Tradition.....we are not even close....they would bring a lot to the SEC and they would compete.....their coach make ours look like an amateur
Iowaggie
AG
Based on division, conference, and national titles, their success would be equal.

0 division titles
0 conference titles
0 national titles.
HoustonAg2106
AG
aggie813 said:

I don't think they would be 1-9 against Bama and LSU
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

A lot easier to survive that murderous schedule than the SEC.

2016 OU Schedule:
  • Houston (9-4) Loss
  • UL Monroe (4-8)
  • OSU (11-2) Loss & Stomped
  • TCU (6-7)
  • Texas (5-7)
  • KState (9-4)
  • Tceh (5-7)
  • Kansas (2-10)
  • Iowa State (3-9)
  • Baylor (7-6)
  • WVirgina (10-3) Killed By Miama (9-4)
  • Okia State (10-3)
  • Auburn (35-10) <A&M won 29-16>

HoustonAg2106
AG
Sparkie said:

Quote:

A lot easier to survive that murderous schedule than the SEC.

2016 OU Schedule:
  • Houston (9-4) Loss
  • UL Monroe (4-8)
  • OSU (11-2) Loss & Stomped
  • TCU (6-7)
  • Texas (5-7)
  • KState (9-4)
  • Tceh (5-7)
  • Kansas (2-10)
  • Iowa State (3-9)
  • Baylor (7-6)
  • WVirgina (10-3) Killed By Miama (9-4)
  • Okia State (10-3)
  • Auburn (35-10) <A&M won 29-16>

I agree it's easier, but are you really telling me that you think A&M would have been 9-0 in conference and 11-2 overall in the Big 12 this year? Because we hardly ever came anything close to that while we were in the Big 12 and OU does that basically every year.
Sparkie
AG
Let Ou play Ark, Auburn, Bama, then Lsu back to back and see how they would survive.

Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Summon lead Stools in head to head match ups?
cc10106
It's 2:40 PM, and OU still sucks.
AGGies0311
It's 2:41 and they still had a better year than we did.
cc10106
And water is wet. Good coaching and QB play generally equates to success.
AGGies0311
So how do they suck? If 11-2 sucks then what is 8-5?
cc10106
Once again, they had their chance to realign with A&M and blew it. Land Thieves shouldn't need the SEC to prop them up anyway, right? Let their fans enjoy their ****ty Big 12 schedule and occasional CFB playoff defeats.
cc10106
2/7Marine0311 said:

It's a pretty common saying about OU, dude. You're missing the point. Last time i checked A&M still has scoreboard and 2 of the 3 as well, so there's that.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm sure most agree that OU would have a more difficult time in the SEC than they do in the Big 12, but that's a different question than how they'd do relative to Texas A&M.

And who is to say OU couldn't make adjustments and see recruiting benefits as to equip themselves to compete well week in and week out in the SEC?
TXAggie2011
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Never spent even 5 minutes near any group of Longhorns during OU week?
HoustonAg2106
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I'm sure most agree that OU would have a more difficult time in the SEC than they do in the Big 12, but that's a different question than how they'd do relative to Texas A&M.

And who is to say OU couldn't make adjustments and see recruiting benefits as to equip themselves to compete well week in and week out in the SEC?
I think if OU was in the SEC they would be equal to what LSU is now (maybe not immediately but within a year or two)
Bottlehead90
AG
Ou places winning over everything else

Joe Mixon

chipotle
Gawd i hate pawl. I made this post back in December. All things considered we haven't done bad and I feel OU would have faired the same:

God I hate defending sumlin now. In the 5 years we've been in the SEC here is where we rank in the SEC conference record and overall. We apologize Engel for not being better than Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

Conference Record:

1. Alabama .900
2. Georgia .675
2. Florida .675
4. LSU .625
5. A&M .525 *
6. Miss St .500 *
7. Ole Miss .475 *
7. Missouri .475 *
7. South Carolina .475 *
10. Auburn .450 *
11. Tennessee .375 *
12. Vanderbuilt .350 *
13. Arkansas .300 *
14. Kentucky .200 *

Overall Record:

1. Alabama .914
2. Georgia .727
3. LSU .714
4. A&M .677 *
5. Florida .635 *
6. Miss St. .615*
7. Ole Miss .609*
8. Auburn .594 *
8. South Carolina .594 *
10. Missouri .578 *
11. Tennessee .555 *
12. Vanderbuilt .492 *
13. Arkansas .460 *
14. Kentucky .344 *

*Are an embarrassment and should leave the conference
Cardboardboxer
They would be better.

Hell if they join the SEC and still play Texas down the road our program is toast. We were being smothered to death in the Big 12 and the SEC gave us a gasp of air and we have wasted that time chainsmoking cigarettes. The Big 12 GOR won't last forever and it's end will be our end if things don't change.
AGGies0311
I choose not to hang out with people who sip tee.... ever..... I can't stand the color of burnt orange
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

The Big 12 GOR won't last forever and it's end will be our end if things don't change.
stools and ou would struggle in the sec.

From 2013 to 2016, stoops would be 7th place in recruiting.

Teams that out recruited OU by Year
2013 bama, florida, lsu, ole miss, auburn, a&m, georgia
2014 bama, lsu, tenn, a&m, georgia, florida, auburn
2015 bama, tenn, georgia, aub, lsu, a&m
2016 bama, lsu, ole miss, auburn, georgia, florida, tenn, (a&m depends on which website)

aeon-ag
Drake aTm said:

Than us?

Why the concern, hell, there's more to worry about concerning A&M, the record speaks for itself!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.