Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would OU have more or less success in the SEC?

13,381 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Windy City Ag
Flexbone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoustonAg2106 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I'm sure most agree that OU would have a more difficult time in the SEC than they do in the Big 12, but that's a different question than how they'd do relative to Texas A&M.

And who is to say OU couldn't make adjustments and see recruiting benefits as to equip themselves to compete well week in and week out in the SEC?
I think if OU was in the SEC they would be equal to what LSU is now (maybe not immediately but within a year or two)

LSU has WAY MORE talent.
TMartin
Probably better but Stoops would clean A&Ms clock in recruiting Texas..
4L Aggie
AG
Flashdiaz said:

OU would do better than A&M in the SEC
OU would do worse in the SEC than in the big12-4+2
Ding, ding, ding!
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

With all the success stools has had, Sumlin has out recruited him since 2013. (hard to believe).
Sparkie
AG
Stoops record versus ranked teams speaks for itself.

2012 to Present
70.5% vs B12
40% vs Everyone else

AGGies0311
How has Sumlin out recruited him? Who had the better record last year?
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

How has Sumlin out recruited him? Who had the better record last year?
You based your sole argument on win / loss record.

So Western Michigan has been out recruiting stoops because they had a better record last year?

AGGies0311
I base my argument on the fact that they have out recruited us for years...................
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Sparkie said:

Quote:

With all the success stools has had, Sumlin has out recruited him since 2013. (hard to believe).

And done nothing with it...
Sparkie
AG
Do you need another kick to your nuts to get this right in your head?
Sparkie
AG
As a persona, Sumlin seems ok. As a coach, his win percentage is the same as it was at UH.

I dont think there is much more to the story.
AGGies0311
Have you been asleep the past 5 years?? Maybe I should kick you in the pants to wake you up....
Windy City Ag
AG
I am near 100% certain that OU would have canned Sumlin at this point. The Sooner fanbase was agitating for Stoops firing in the 2014-2015 period after a few mystery losses in the Red River Shootout and them getting hammered by Clemson in bowl game. That is about average for Sumlin the last few years.

Stoops righted his ship pretty quickly . . . .us not so much.
BigRed12
AG
el_guapo said:

Better. The only reason we smoked them in the Cotton Bowl is because of Manziel. We failed to capitalize on EVERYTHING that went right during 2012-2013 and are right back at mediocre.
We are better now than from 2003 - 2011.

2003 - 4-8
2004 - 7-5
2005 - 5-6
2006 - 9-4
2007 - 7-6
2008 - 4-8
2009 - 6-7
2010 - 9-4
2011 - 7-6

2012 - 11-2
2013 - 9-4
2014 - 8-5
2015 - 8-5
2016 - 8-5

In fact, Sumlin is doing better than both of his predecessors while being in a tougher conference. Many people are delusional as to what our talent level is and the amount of talent it takes for top tier SEC football programs need to stay at the top. In the past 14 years A&M has gotten 8 wins a total of 7 times. Five of those seven 8-win seasons are under Sumlin.
88jrt06
AG
Okie.. two good years in the SEC....then Miss. sweep.
Becomes a mutt.
Ags? We will destroy them.
jickyjack1
Hamburger Dan said:

Oklahoma is a football school. Their Heisman Trophy winners, National Championships, the overall won / loss record, Bowl wins, and their Conference Championships and legendary head coaches clearly state their case. We aren't close.

When living in Austin I used to eat a lot at Dan's Hamburgers.

Now, that'll make you think.

jickyjack1
Windy City Ag said:

I am near 100% certain that OU would have canned Sumlin at this point. The Sooner fanbase was agitating for Stoops firing in the 2014-2015 period after a few mystery losses in the Red River Shootout and them getting hammered by Clemson in bowl game. That is about average for Sumlin the last few years.

Stoops righted his ship pretty quickly . . . .us not so much.

People insist on treating this like a board game.

Sumlin's record at OU would have been much better; does no one consider the competition?

He wouldn't have had to spend NEARLY the attention on securing people -- players but coaches, too -- in the B12. Defense, especially. Evidently it's true that you don't understand what you're dealing with in the SEC until it's staring you in the face. Sumlin, actually, was built for an Oklahoma-type program; he is, as everyone knows an offensive coach.. But he's had to spend much more effort on defense, in several ways, than, I bet, he ever guessed he would.

That would happen to Stoops, too. His brother sure as hell wouldn't field any defense that could float, much less swim, in the SEC. Venables might could have, but not until they retooled their recruiting basics.
2nd Generation Ag
The difference in my mind that no one talks about is the quality of opponents week in week out. In the Big 12 you have Kansas, Iowa State, Texas tech. Its not a physical conference. In the SEC injuries pile up and weaken your team over time. OU would face the same thing and their record would not be much better
Windy City Ag
AG
Eh you can come up with all sorts of excuses. We got rolled by K State and routinely field putrid defenses. It is more than just strength of schedule.
jb6092
mengland said:

The difference in my mind that no one talks about is the quality of opponents week in week out. In the Big 12 you have Kansas, Iowa State, Texas tech. Its not a physical conference. In the SEC injuries pile up and weaken your team over time. OU would face the same thing and their record would not be much better
OU was consistently better in the SWC, then the Bg XII but somehow if they moved to the SEC that same dynamic would change? The questions is not if OU would have the same record in the SEC as they have in the Big XII, the question is would they have a better record than the Aggies and I think anyone that suggests they would not is wearing some funky colored glasses.
Flexbone
No, they haven't.
Windy City Ag
AG
The Sooner are 4-0 in their last 4 against SEC teams going back the last 4 years. They hammered a great Bama squad in the Sugar Bowl, beat the Vols handily twice and crushed Auburn last year again in the Sugar Bowl.

The whole SEC ready shtick only goes so far.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Windy City Ag said:

The Sooner are 4-0 in their last 4 against SEC teams going back the last 4 years. They hammered a great Bama squad in the Sugar Bowl, beat the Vols handily twice and crushed Auburn last year again in the Sugar Bowl.

The whole SEC ready shtick only goes so far.

At the end of the day, OU is way more SEC ready than more than half of the SEC. And they would motor boat us head to head tomorrow.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
jb6092 said:

mengland said:

OU was consistently better in the SWC, then the Bg XII but somehow if they moved to the SEC that same dynamic would change? The questions is not if OU would have the same record in the SEC as they have in the Big XII, the question is would they have a better record than the Aggies and I think anyone that suggests they would not is wearing some funky colored glasses.

OU had not been in the SWC since around 1920. They were in the Big 8 prior to the XII.
rbcs_2
AG
This is kind of a silly discussion. No program measures their success based on W-L record. It's about accomplishments. OU would not have accomplished more than A&M over the same time period in the SEC West.

Of course, Stoops likely would have been shown the door in some fashion at this point, but that's a different topic.
ashley
Everyone judges their success by wins an losses. Kentucky, Purdue and Vanderbilt just have different standards than Alabama and Ohio State.
MallalieuAg
AG
Better due to recruiting for being in the SEC.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

This is kind of a silly discussion. No program measures their success based on W-L record. It's about accomplishments.

Aggies don't lose! They just run out of time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.