Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

So in recent years, we've produced a Heisman winner and a #1 draft pick

10,072 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 85AustinAg
Lateralus Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ironmanag said:

Without Sumlin we would have had none of it.

Stopped reading right there. Whether we agree about Sumlin's coaching ability or not, this statement invalidates everything else you have to say.

You have very little idea of what another coach could have done over the last several years. You also don't know who that someone might be. There are just too many variables.

One could just as easily argue (and just as ignorantly) that someone else would have won 4 National Championships.

Both statements are equally valid.

Your lack of understanding of rudimentary logic is cute.
1876er
AG
Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

Be very careful what you wish for.

With Sumlin we average 8.5 wins a season, had a Heisman winner, a first overall draft pick, a win over every SEC team except LSU, and all within the first five years in the toughest conference in football.

And several trogs want to blow it all up because Sumlin utterly exceeded thier idiotic predictions of 4-8, 5-7, 6-6.. every single year, but not enough.

Those trogs are so ignorant it's almost cute.
Sumlin is the 7th (or somewhere around there) highest paid college football coach. He has not produced that level yet. Knowing what we know now, it would have been a better use of salary to keep Sherman.

I don't think you'll find anybody that think Sumlin isn't overpaid, but that doesn't matter, that money is already committed. The question is can we get anybody better? I'm not sure.
GoodOldAgs
1876er said:

Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

With Sumlin we average 8.5 wins a season, had a Heisman winner, a first overall draft pick, a win over every SEC team except LSU, and all within the first five years in the toughest conference in football.

And several trogs want to blow it all up because Sumlin utterly exceeded thier idiotic predictions of 4-8, 5-7, 6-6.. every single year, but not enough.

Sumlin is the 7th (or somewhere around there) highest paid college football coach. He has not produced that level yet. Knowing what we know now, it would have been a better use of salary to keep Sherman.

I don't think you'll find anybody that think Sumlin isn't overpaid, but that doesn't matter, that money is already committed. The question is can we get anybody better? I'm not sure.
Yes. Do I need to name names so you can shoot them down? And another good question is how do we purge the Good Ole Boy mentality & culture that persists in our administration and stifles progress in our football program?
Meximan
ironmanag said:

You realize "trog" is a derogatory epithet for Native Americans, right?

Meximan
Lateralus Ag said:

ironmanag said:

Stopped reading right there. Whether we agree about Sumlin's coaching ability or not, this statement invalidates everything else you have to say.

You have very little idea of what another coach could have done over the last several years. You also don't know who that someone might be. There are just too many variables.

One could just as easily argue (and just as ignorantly) that someone else would have won 4 National Championships.

Both statements are equally valid.

Your lack of understanding of rudimentary logic is cute.

There's also the fact Myles attended because of his sister, which invalidates the Myles Garrett part of his assertion.
vander54
S
GoodOldAgs said:

1876er said:

Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

Yes. Do I need to name names so you can shoot them down? And another good question is how do we purge the Good Ole Boy mentality & culture that persists in our administration and stifles progress in our football program?

I would love to hear your names.
GoodOldAgs
vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

1876er said:

Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

Sure thing, bud. Didn't know you wanted to play the shoot down the candidates game.

Mike Gundy.
Mike MacIntyre
Dan Mullen
Kyle Whittingham
Justin Fuente
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson

You can go read the "Fedora or Morris" thread on page 2 for more information why they would be good candidates. There a little more on some other threads as well. I'm so interested to read your justification why we couldn't get any single one of those guys, and how Sumlin &/or Chad Morris are actually better. Or maybe not.
Agsrback12
ironmanag said:

Manziel clearly made Sumlin. Without Manziel we don't have Myles Garrett just to name one.
vander54
S
GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

1876er said:

Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

Sure thing, bud. Didn't know you wanted to play the shoot down the candidates game.

Mike Gundy. possible but not sure how he would do in SEC
Mike MacIntyre not sure he is definitely better but great potential
Dan Mullen No
Kyle Whittingham see MacIntyre
Justin Fuente see MacIntyre
Chris Petersen probably won't leave Washington
Gary Patterson probably won't leave TCU

You can go read the "Fedora or Morris" thread on page 2 for more information why they would be good candidates. There a little more on some other threads as well. I'm so interested to read your justification why we couldn't get any single one of those guys, and how Sumlin &/or Chad Morris are actually better. Or maybe not.

I'll expand a little.

Gundy is coaching his Alma Matter, so even though Pickens and him apparently have issues Pickens is 88 and probably won't be around a lot longer.

MacIntyre has only had one good season in a down Pac-12. Let's see how he does this year before crowning him.

Mullen is just a big no.

Whittingham played ball at BYU and although he has won 9+ games in the past 3 years he went 5-4 in the Pac-12 2 of those years. Still probably be the best on the list.

Fuente had 2 good years at Memphis but it is Memphis. He has a great first year playing in a p5 conference but it's only 1 year. Not sold he is better but has a huge upside.

Peterson is a west coast guy and is making over $4 million a year so it will probably take a lot to get him away. Not sure it would happen but would be a great hire if it did.

Patterson had great years before the Big12 and has 2 great years in the Big12. I'm not sure how well he would do in the SEC plus he's been at TCU for 17 years and he has a much better chance of winning a National championship at TCU than A&M. That has nothing to do with my mentality just the fact we have Bama and LSU and they have the Big12. I wouldn't mind this risk.

I'm sure you won't like this response and come back with some negative comment about me or our fanbase/school.
saw em off
Burnsey said:

Luke and Von have a message for ya OP

Gota De Limon said:

What are you talking about? Luke nor Von's teams didn't do anything either. If you recall, our last anything was 1998.
GoodOldAgs
vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

1876er said:

Texas A&M said:

ironmanag said:

Mike Gundy. possible but not sure how he would do in SEC
Mike MacIntyre not sure he is definitely better but great potential
Dan Mullen No
Kyle Whittingham see MacIntyre
Justin Fuente see MacIntyre
Chris Petersen probably won't leave Washington
Gary Patterson probably won't leave TCU

I'll expand a little.

Gundy is coaching his Alma Matter, so even though Pickens and him apparently have issues Pickens is 88 and probably won't be around a lot longer.

MacIntyre has only had one good season in a down Pac-12. Let's see how he does this year before crowning him.

Mullen is just a big no.

Whittingham played ball at BYU and although he has won 9+ games in the past 3 years he went 5-4 in the Pac-12 2 of those years. Still probably be the best on the list.

Fuente had 2 good years at Memphis but it is Memphis. He has a great first year playing in a p5 conference but it's only 1 year. Not sold he is better but has a huge upside.

Peterson is a west coast guy and is making over $4 million a year so it will probably take a lot to get him away. Not sure it would happen but would be a great hire if it did.

Patterson had great years before the Big12 and has 2 great years in the Big12. I'm not sure how well he would do in the SEC plus he's been at TCU for 17 years and he has a much better chance of winning a National championship at TCU than A&M. That has nothing to do with my mentality just the fact we have Bama and LSU and they have the Big12. I wouldn't mind this risk.

I'm sure you won't like this response and come back with some negative comment about me or our fanbase/school.

Lol, nice little touch at the end. Classic texags cop out. You get a few points for that. Of course obviously you're a little off on a lot of them, and I have to remind you that accepting status quo isn't the way to go and we need change, and these are the best available realistic candidates imo. But I agreed with a some of it as well, so well done. Thanks for playing.
vander54
S
You are so predictable. Keep it up
mcag83
AG
OP....yr a whinny little girl.
rebelAg02
FishingAggie said:

NevadaAg said:

Quote:

The Heisman winner was not because of him... that was Sherman's recruit. I believe that any coach would have taken Manziel to the winner's circle.. look at our recent QBs... JFF was not because of Sumlin.

This is such BS. He wouldn't win one under the coach who recruited him. Sherman would have started Showers over Johnny. No matter your feelings on Sumlin, he deserves all the credit for taking the chance to start Johnny.

Firstly, , Sherman was the only coach willing to give Jff a scholarship at qb besides Oregon. Where was sumlin recruiting then? Did he offer Jff?

Secondly, Sherman never got the chance to start or bench Jff. Can't see the future I'm afraid so you can't call that one......

Most of the success sumlin had ( definitely his best record ) was with Sherman's guys. Sumlin's o-line performance has gone from NFL guys to bush league.

That's all on him. He can get flashy receivers, get, and not keep, qb's, but his across the board picks suck. That's why we are here this late in his contract with no o-line and no defense. It takes luck to win championships along with skill.

He's coaching for his career this year. He knows it.

+1
GoodOldAgs
vander54 said:

You are so predictable. Keep it up

Yup. I will never stop wanting anything less than the very best for Texas A&M football because I believe in our potential and I will refute anyone who tries to shove mediocre down our throats.
SirBlakesmore
When looking at A&M's drafted players vs conference success, shouldn't you also look at Bama's and LSU's superior number of drafted players as a barometer. Or better yet, look at the number of SEC players drafted in the first three rounds vs every other conference, but more importantly the Big WGAS. We wanted to play with the best, we want to be the best, but we can't seem to comprehend the amout of time and effort it takes to get there. Its like some of you have never had to work hard for anything before. Good news though, you don't have to lift a finger now either, you just have to sit back and watch others grind it out for your enjoyment and if you don't like the end result, change the channel. Get a dog or grow a pair but stop bringing your whiny BAS bs here and seeking validation for it.
GoodOldAgs
SirBlakesmore said:

When looking at A&M's drafted players vs conference success, shouldn't you also look at Bama's and LSU's superior number of drafted players as a barometer. Or better yet, look at the number of SEC players drafted in the first three rounds vs every other conference, but more importantly the Big WGAS. We wanted to play with the best, we want to be the best, but we can't seem to comprehend the amout of time and effort it takes to get there. Its like some of you have never had to work hard for anything before. Good news though, you don't have to lift a finger now either, you just have to sit back and watch others grind it out for your enjoyment and if you don't like the end result, change the channel. Get a dog or grow a pair but stop bringing your whiny BAS bs here and seeking validation for it.

We're the problem. Not the admin. You got that you sick ****s who call out underachievement? Don't you understand it takes 15 years for a coach to learn how to coach in the SEC? What the hell is wrong wih y'all? God, Aggies are the worst. How DARE you logically reason that A&M isn't performing on the field at the level they could and should? Bringing up how many players we have drafted does NOT ironically prove that point! Shut the **** up and keep donating.
GoodOldAgs

SirBlakesmore
Ahh yes, forgot logic and sanity weren't permitted here. I want to beat Bama and LSU as much as the next man. I scream and holler and cuss and rant when losing to them or any team on saturdays. I can be red assed and sick for the entire week after a game like Miss St but come the following Saturday I'm in my chair or standing proud in attendence and ready for another chance to watch this team play a great game. I was there until the final whistle against LSU thanksgiving night and have witnessed many a dissapointing loss to hated rivals. I do that as a fan because I support this team and this university as my family has for four generations. But I've never feltnthe need to get on a message board and throw this team and staff under the bus and act like I know more about football than this staff or those who spend their lives building careers around it. I'm here for the entertainment, don't see the need to be miserable or make others feel the same.

Enjoy day three of the draft and may many more Ags hear their name called. And here's to a great 2017 season.

Thanks and Gig'em!
Ag Tag
Sherman set the stage and Sumlin developed Johnny.
85AustinAg
AG
LSU has had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and we've had 3. I guess they should be crying twice as hard.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.