Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Pretty cool article about RC

9,819 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was hoping they'd talk about his warehouse of unused timeouts he hoarded away during those crucial times.
Jack Cheese
AG
I like RC as much as anybody, but COME ON, MAN.

RC was done in by poor recruiting against Mack and Stoops, and his defenses were really bad the last couple of years. I was at the Tech game in 02 when we absolutely had no answers for Kliff and the Pirate. We lost like 52-49 (no I didn't look it up). Brutal.

Some of you guys fail to recognize that RC and Sumlin did have Reggie for a year. Reggie was great against OU in 02, saw duty in several other games that year. Sumlin was great after he replaced Dino as the play caller but it was too little, too late. Dino was the last of many bad offensive hires by RC.

Toward the end, RC wasn't really RC anymore. The defense had lost its identity. We had few on field leaders (Dat was the last great one). The bowl record was an albatross. Things needed to change. Too bad Fran was such a got-damn disaster.
bero88
Those helmets in his office display are badass. I miss those more than anything.
Liquid Wrench
saw em off said:

I miss Slocum on a mobile.
I've tried to nudge him into commenting on developments last season but he said he's in retirement.
rwtxag83
AG
Quote:

While Groff was a tightwad when it came to facilities, it wasn't facilities that did RC in. Let's not revise history. It was RC's inability to win big games on a consistent basis - pretty much his Achilles heel his entire head coaching career.

I don't agree. Yes, he had some issues in very narrow losses in big games, but he was a victim of some bad timing. Probation, staffing, and facilities and the timing thereof.

He improved every season he coached thru 95 except 93 when he took a very small step back with a loss to OU, and a very narrow 24-21 loss to ND in the Cotton Bowl.

The next year, RC was kicked in the teeth with NCAA probation. This affected the team for the next 3 seasons, and just about the time you would expect a rebound, the sips significantly upgrade their facilities, and hire Mack Brown. RC still manages to get to the Big12 Championship 2 years in a row. Loses to NU in 97, but bounces back in 98, beats #2 ranked NU in Kyle, and goes all the way and wins the Big12. Yes, they lost to Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. That one still bothers me.

Our leadership still hadn't really realized how badly we were behind in the arms race, and by the time they started work on the new Locker room/ South end zone expansion, MackIII was in full throttle mode, and it was next to impossible to play catch up.

I understood why they got rid of him, and it was at some level justified, but I believe we would have been far better off as a program had he remained in place and we had not had the lean years of Fran and Sherman. I am pretty darn sure there would never have been a 77-0 loss to OU had RC stayed.
Mr. Black
Jack Cheese
AG
We lost 4 home games to Big 12 opponents in 2002. We lost at Kyle to bad Nebraska and Mizzou teams. We got beat 50-20 by t.u. in Austin.

RC was "kicked in the teeth" all right.

Fran took a bad situation and made it so much worse. Sherman at least had the guys playing hard for him.

Face it. Except for 2012, we've been in the wilderness since 1998.
Liquid Wrench
Suns out, guns out.
C Loves L
I've always wanted to meet R.C! I moved to Bryan last year. Hope I run into him at some point. This article was awesome
No Ag Tag Ag
RC was really good in bowl games.
Lateralus Ag
AG
I used to work in the yard at the local McCoys here in Bryan. RC used to come in and buy fencing material.

When you work in a lumber yard there are two kinds of customers: those that hand you the ticket, roll up the window, and sit there till you're done and drive off. (And that's fine. That's what we did and why we were there. No complaints.) But then there were folls that would get out, give you a hand and have conversation with you. That was RC. I don't know anything about the guy other than that. But he was always willing to get out and help and have a conversation about damn near anything. He was always genuine and interesting. He would always shake your hand, look you in the eye, and tell you thanks for the help.

OldArmyAggie94
AG
Growing up in Dallas My cousin who was at A&M took me to the Cotton Bowl to see Jackies team play Ohio St and fell in love with A&M.

Visited campus a year or two later and was hooked..knew where I wanted to go to school

This was my football team during school...saw some GREAT games at Kyle.

Texas A&M increased rapidly under Slocum. The years 1990-95 were indeed his finest, as A&M went 9-3-1, 10-2, 12-1, 10-2, 10-0-1 and 9-3 in consecutive years. Also during that stretch, the Aggies won the Southwest Conference three years in a row, were undefeated in conference play for four consecutive seasons and solidified Kyle Field as a tougher venue to come out of alive than the Roman coliseum (notching a streak of 37 consecutive games without a loss). Eleven Aggies, including Aaron Glenn, Leeland McElroy and Marcus Buckley, made first team All-American, and the "Wrecking Crew," the moniker for Slocum's brawny, horn-mad defense, wreaked havoc on trembling quarterbacks from Waco to Lubbock.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
I have become numb to Fran, Sherman and KS, we have not won a football conference championship since 1998...

OrygunAg
AG
No Ag Tag Ag said:

RC was really good in bowl games.

Those bowl losses...and when old man Schneider rolled into Kyle with like 20K purple, loud as hell fans and kicked us in the teeth.
AggieDruggist89
AG
There must be a batcall for PHS when RC is mentioned.
fredfredunderscorefred
AggieDruggist89 said:

There must be a batcall for PHS when RC is mentioned.

Like The Devil
mcag83
AG
RC
FrontPorchAg
saw em off said:

I miss Slocum on a mobile.
schmellba99
AG
RC's problem was that he was simply too conservative and never allowed the offense to open up. The second a "daring play" (read: not a dice or sweep) didnt work, he went ultra conservative. Against middle to lower competitin, we could out muscle and win.

Against good to great competition, the overwhelming majority of times it was a loss. Look at his record against ranked teams and in bowls - both are sub .500 (closer to the .333 mark IIRC).

The game passed him up,facilities was an excuse that was overblown then (like it is today as well). Remember that he did get the zone expansion, which was a huge expense and upgrade at the time.

t.u. and OU started thier rise, which didnt help. But they didnt get good because of facilities - they got good because Brown out recruited RC and Stoops out coached him in a bad way.

The '98 championship was a fluke if you were to be honest - and it was a fluke because it was one of the few times that RC wasnt playing to not lose.
Science Denier
AG
Facilities. LMAO

Tard high kicked RC's ass 6 times out of his last 8 years. Almost a decade of dominance from tard freaking high. You think tard high's facilities were kick-ass?

You think Jackie came to A&M and had total kick-ass facilities? No, Jackie was a damn good coach.

Facilities. Yea, that's it.
BanderaAg956
Classy Aggie Coach, great man, God fearing man!
mcag83
AG
jblaschke said:

Facilities. LMAO

Tard high kicked RC's ass 6 times out of his last 8 years. Almost a decade of dominance from tard freaking high. You think tard high's facilities were kick-ass?

You think Jackie came to A&M and had total kick-ass facilities? No, Jackie was a damn good coach.

Funny stuff jb. Jackie's first 3 seasons at A&M.....5-6, 5-5-1, 6-5.
Science Denier
AG
mcag83 said:

jblaschke said:

Facilities. LMAO

Funny stuff jb. Jackie's first 3 seasons at A&M.....5-6, 5-5-1, 6-5.
Jackie inherited a train wreck. RC inherited 28 future NFL draft picks. Slight difference.
burdt
AG
RC is a class act. During spring finals 2007, I was in line at

Subway (Southgate)

when I noticed the silver haired gentleman in front of me had a gigantic championship ring. After I introduced myself, he was so kind and genuinely seemed interested in where I was from & what classes I was taking. I was surprised he knew where my tiny hometown was & we both agreed he knows Texas like the back of his hand from recruiting days.

No comment on ankles but the Subway and hair part are bona fide.

True (cool) story bro!
Ags77
AG
Retired coach here. Of all the coaches I have known, and I have known MANY, Coach Slocum is still my favorite coach.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Regardless of what some of you want to think, facilities were a major problem that led to RC's downfall in recruiting against Mack and Stoops. tu had just redone their facilities prior to the hire of Mack while ours were crap. And RC had been *****ing to Groff about it for years before the Bright Center finally got started.

However, as others have stated, another big issue for RC was the offense or lack thereof.
The question I have is did he keep going through OC's because he ran them off with his meddling or did they leave because Groff wasn't providing funding to retain those that were worth a damn?

We sure do pay a lot for coordinators now.
Yell Practice
Nice guy this RC. .
Yell Practice
Yell Practice
Yell Practice
Winningest Aggie Head Football Coach.
Yell Practice
pct 0.721
Yell Practice
Coach Sumlin would have to Win 8 games per season for over 15 years to compare to the record of RC.

johnnyblaze36
AG
Looking forward to reading this. Ran into Coach less than a year ago at Spec's on Harvey Rd.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What was he drinking?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Sidenote-my parents own a huge steer that used to be R.C.'s and its name is "Mack Brown" and it's tagged with the number 2 in its ear. When my parents asked Slocum the reasoning he said he named him Mack because "he'll always be #2."
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.