Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Pretty cool article about RC

9,788 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/the-last-cowboy-texas-am-rc-slocum-long-ride-home/

Was RC the last cowboy?
gonemaroon
AG
No doubt RC loves A&M - thanks for posting the article!
Yell Practice
RC iis a good man.
Born Maroon
fredfredunderscorefred
sleepybeagle
AG
I met RC once many years ago at the Austin Fish Fry. Shook my hand and spent time talking like I was a long lost friend. Always had the highest of respect for him.
zooguy96
RC is the man. He would have been successful had they competed facility-wise.
SA-AG72
MicheIangeIo
AG

Pretty cool Champ
StickTogetherAgs
HoldMyBeer
Viper16
AG
Quote:

RC is the man. He would have been successful had they competed facility-wise.

You mean even more successful I think!
TMartin
Back in the day when A&M coaches had passion and fire in their belly to win.
coloradoag69
AG
The man who undid RC the most was Wally Groff, his AD.

With proper support there never would have been Dennis Francione.

By the way, after lots of assistant difficulties, especially on offense, RC's last offensive coordinator was ...... (drum roll please) ... Kevin Sumlin.

If only RC and Sumlin would have been given a chance with Reggie McNeill.
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

By the way, after lots of assistant difficulties, especially on offense, RC's last offensive coordinator was ...... (drum roll please) ... Kevin Sumlin.
But wait, don't we dislike Sumlin's offenses?

I sure do. Side to side passing behind a porous OL doesn't get it done.
W
AG
no A&M coach was going to post a winning record with the talent deficiencies on the 2003 roster and the brutal schedule...especially on the road.

A&M played 6 ranked opponents in 2003 and that did not include Tech and Mizzou (both on the road)
Aero95
AG
I still dream about what could've been in 2003 with Reggie in a Sumlin offense...
GarryowenAg
AG
What a good article
AggieTFA06
AG
met RC Slocum for a short time, but in the short time that I met him, he was incredibly nice to me.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
p-wonk01
AG
A few things stood out....

I honestly never knew R.C. stood for Richard Copeland.

And of course...
Quote:

14 years to break in, Slocum, who went 123-47-2 at College Station

I followed the Aggies since Jackie as a kid and then RC was the coach for my undergrad at A&M. He is more of an Aggie than most that went to school here, and was always the nicest guy to talk with. I truly believe he cared deeply for ever player and coach that played with him.
Liquid Wrench
Great article. Really put RC's values in perspective and told me some things I didn't know about the man, besides his record.

Hope he's happy where he's at.
george92
I hope that when people look back on my career and personal life, they only remember the positives as well.
schmellba99
AG
coloradoag69 said:

The man who undid RC the most was Wally Groff, his AD.

With proper support there never would have been Dennis Francione.

If only RC and Sumlin would have been given a chance with Reggie McNeill.
While Groff was a tightwad when it came to facilities, it wasn't facilities that did RC in. Let's not revise history. It was RC's inability to win big games on a consistent basis - pretty much his Achilles heel his entire head coaching career.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

He would have been successful had he quit meddling in the offense.

Was friends with a back-up to the walk-on QB during RC's tenure. Coach used to shut down the offense in a big way if they had a couple of bad passes or tried to get too fancy. If RC would have adapted more like Saban he would have been successful against the better teams.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Back in the day when A&M coaches had passion and fire in their belly to win.

I have always loved Coach Slocum, but I will say that his is revisionist history. He was never known as the fire-breathing coach. He was widely viewed as excessively conservative given all the talent he had at his disposal.

Unless you were there, you can't understand how painful our offense was to watch during his tenure and how we mysteriously played down to our competition's level. Maybe I had too many experiences nursing hangovers in 95 degree heat and watching us having to come back from behind in the last second to tie a post-death penalty SMU program.

I went to our game against Rice when we won 7-0 despite having three NFL caliber running backs and an strong offensive line.
BaileyAg
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Unless you were there, you can't understand how painful our offense was to watch during his tenure and how we mysteriously played down to our competition's level.
Amen. I got the last third of RC's tenure but the atrocious offense was a hallmark. Yes, RC was a great defensive coach. Yes, part of the offensive philosophy was to be conservative to not put the defense in tough positions. (Run the clock so the defense stays fresh. Interesting idea.) But the problem was we were not flexible to be able to win the game in a variety of ways. This was especially true when we were playing with a talent deficit against the bigger programs. The bowl record is a great indication of this. I don't think you could have expected much difference had he stayed.

That being said, I'm glad he's stayed near the program and I hope every Aggie is excited if they get the chance to meet him. There is a lot to learn from R.C., both in football and life. I hope he never leaves.
PanhandleSlim
AG
The winningest coach in Texas Aggie football history and architect of the legendary and long lost Wrecking Crew continues to grow taller in our rear view mirror.
Tudster
AG
RC almost ran me over on my bike as he was pulling into the parking garage. It was completely my fault, but it's fun to tell people he nearly ran me down with his Cadillac.

The look on his face was priceless.
Windy City Ag
AG
Panhandle Slim loving on RC. I am back 15 years ago when Dennis Franchione was a better recruiter than Mack Brown and a better gameday coach than Bob Stoops.

PanhandleSlim
AG
I remember the concession cups emblazoned with Get FRANtic! .

We did.

Yell Practice
Good Coach

Good Christian man.
northeastag
AG
Hate to admit it, but I got all emotional reading about the bonfire again.

Too bad there aren't more like RC walking around today. Good man
ontheway
AG
When I grow up, I want to be just like Coach Slocum. Great guy
saw em off
I miss Slocum on a mobile.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.