Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jake Hubes...2017 starting QB?

7,838 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by zooguy96
badharambe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texancanuck11 said:

badharambe said:

play calling designed for his skills (Mazzone).

I don't know if you watched last year, but Mazzone's offense needs a QB who can run. Hubes is not a runner.

His last QB at UCLA was Josh Rosen, a pro-style Qb, so I would like to think that he could scheme for Jake, which would be a more pro-style like at UCLA.

- bad hombre
manlyaggie
AG
I agree with above... Mazzone will scheme for who the quarterback is and compliment his skills. He schemed for Knight last year and when he got hurt that's why Hubes didn't succeed as well. The team had been taught a playbook centered around a running quarterback. If Hubes is the starter out of spring ball, I am confident Mazzone will scheme around his skill set.
vander54
S
I'm just happy we will have 4 scholarship QBs on the roster for spring practices.
KansasCity Ag
badharambe said:

texancanuck11 said:

badharambe said:

I don't know if you watched last year, but Mazzone's offense needs a QB who can run. Hubes is not a runner.

His last QB at UCLA was Josh Rosen, a pro-style Qb, so I would like to think that he could scheme for Jake, which would be a more pro-style like at UCLA.

- bad hombre
Yeah, Mazzone really proved he could scheme for Jake ... (see Miss State/ Ole Miss games)
cheeky
AG
Pioneer said:

He lit it up at blinn. The kid can play, but needs the right offense.
And intramurals. Don't forget intramurals.

By all accounts Jake is living his dream of dressing in the M&W. That is awesome for him, but that's also where it ends due to his lack of athleticism and slow decision making. That might work in Highschool when you drop from 5a to 4a for your senior year, but not even close to SEC ready.
jml2621
jake2011 said:

If Hubes is the starter it will be a long year.

Yeah, we'll be in a world of hurt.
InMyOpinion
It's pretty simple - if you don't have an elite defense then you need a dual threat QB.

Look at the past SEC champions, who was the last one to win with a pro style QB, that did not have an elite defense.

RDV-1992
Quick passing game might help with our OL issues. Entire offensive staff did a great job masking our OL this last year. Season started to fall apart once the OL injuries started to mount & our extremely limited depth was exposed.
texancanuck11
badharambe said:

texancanuck11 said:

badharambe said:

- bad hombre
I hope you're right, and that whoever gets the nod has a system that is ideal for their skill set. However, Sumlin & Co. have a history of not naming a starting QB until late in Fall camp, so I don't know that Mazzone will have the time to develop a specific gameplan for whoever the starter is.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Gigem713 said:

You nay-sayers forget what Hubes has done for us. He stepped up when we didn't have a QB for the last 2 seasons. He never once complained that he wasn't named starter when the prior starter came back. He epitomizes what an Aggie should be: do your best, don't complain, team player. It's high time this was recognized.

OK, I officially recognize that. In fact, pretty sure no one on here was arguing otherwise. Your whole point is irrelevant to the subject of this thread....reasons why he should/shouldn't be the starter next year. And if you're arguing he should be handed the starting job simply because he's been a great team player...well, you're wrong.
zooguy96
jake2011 said:

If Hubes is the starter it will be a long year.
LOL, its going to be a long year anyhow. We still have Sumlin.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.