Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Every Aggie Ring has a story - What's yours?

9,778 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by No Bat Soup For You
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor, Fifth 'C' Fine Jewelry:

Congrats to V-1Ag08! You're the winner! Just reply to suzanne@texags.com to claim your prize.

All Aggie Rings have a story or two behind them. Share your story here and you'll be entered to win these Maroon Pearl Earrings!

About the Reveille Ring from Fifth C Fine Jewelry:

The Reveille Ring started as an idea to celebrate my wife's Red-Assedness back in 2001, doubling as a "Thank you for having my baby" gift. Let's just say people that saw it became fans. I am happy to make one for you or yours as well.

I have learned each individual Aggie Ring is slightly different in shape (different castings, different molds over different years, etc...). This means each Reveille Ring has to be custom made to properly fit the Aggie Ring it is to accompany with no gaps, and maintain a solid, precise piece with excellent diamonds and maroon garnets.

*The price of the Reveille Ring is currently $975.00 plus tax & shipping (price includes a 5% discount for cash or check). This is the price for the ring as shown here, but the price is the same in white gold. (and a second ring can be added for an additional $850.00)

*If you wish to buy one, we can do this a couple of ways:
  • You can give me or send me the Aggie Ring it is to accompany. I can make the ring then.
  • If you wish to surprise the recipient, you can purchase a gift certificate. It comes on my stationary with a picture of the Reveille Ring explaining the gift they have been given and how to arrange for it to come to fruition.
*The Reveille Ring can be soldered to the Aggie Ring it is paired to. This will make it look like two rings, but wear as one. It can always be unsoldered, but I recommend soldering.
*These rings can be worn one on each side of an Aggie Ring.
*In most cases, the process will take 2-3 weeks, depending on our workload at the time. I can always send a gift certificate within a few days.
*Keep in mind that this is a custom ring. It can be made in gold, white gold, or platinum with all diamond or any other stone. The price quoted above is for the Diamond, Mozambique (maroon) Garnet, and Gold/White Gold Ring.

Pricing per single ring (pretax):
Gold or white gold Reveille Rig with diamond and maroon garnet - $975
Gold or white gold Reveille ring with all diamonds - $1150
Platinum Reveille Ring with diamond and maroon garnet - $1375
Platinum Reveille Ring with all diamonds - $1550
Platinum fishtail Reveille Ring with trap shank - $1650

God's Peace,

Chuck Konderla
Owner-Fifth 'C' Fine Jewelry
979.255.8388 (texts welcome)
1716 Briarcrest Dr Ste 601
Bryan, Texas 77802
chuck@fifthcjewelry.com

**The Texas Aggie Senior Ring is protected by registered trademarks owned by The Association of Former Students, the sole source of the Texas Aggie Senior Ring. Fifth C Fine Jewelry and its products are not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by The Association of Former Students, and Fifth C Fine Jewelry does not sell the Texas Aggie Senior Ring.
OrygunAg
AG
Mt hood stole my ring...
Sharpshooter
AG
I slipped mine on my finger and it has been there ever since.
GoneGirl
AG
My Aggie ring story....

My first go around at A&M in '93, I ordered my class of '94 ring - paid for by my parents. Ring day wasn't such a big deal back then, but it was still a great day. Dunked it at the Chicken, when you could still dunk it in a real pitcher and wore it with pride. For about a year.

The next summer, while out playing football in Lake Travis, the unimaginable happened. My ring fell off in the lake. We searched for hours. I was crushed. Then I flunked out of school. I won't say the two were related, but I didn't feel very much like a "real Aggie." I knew I didn't deserve another ring.

I still loved A&M with all my heart, but I got a job and moved on with life. Got married to my best friend -we met at A&M. Bridesmaids all wore maroon, and we planned our fall wedding for an away game weekend (never the less, the entire wedding party was watching the game in the pre-wedding hours). When our first son was born, we gave him an Aggie middle name courtesy of the place where we'd spent so many great Saturday afternoons - "Kyle."

A few years passed, and in 2007, we moved to Houston. I decided to go back to school and was considering U of H, and Prairie View (at least it has A&M in it's name). One weekend, while sitting at Dudleys, a good friend, hearing my plans told me - "Elsie, you're an Aggie. Why don't you go back to A&M?"

So I did. I talked to an adviser who told me I needed 17 hours to graduate. I went and made a lot of promises to the dean in my college. I took several hours at a community college in Houston - sometimes driving from Cypress to the Woodlands to take night classes when my husband was home from work to watch our two young sons. I kept my promises and got back into A&M.

It would take two semesters to finish my degree. So each morning I'd drop my oldest kiddo off at kindergarten, and the baby and I would drive to CS for classes. Dropping him off with my parents, I'd head to class, then meet them in the Home Depot parking lot to pick him up, drive back to Houston and pick up the oldest at after school care. Cook dinner, put the kids to bed and study late into the night. Rinse and repeat three days a week. Weekends were spent with me writing papers or studying for tests, instead of family time.

With graduation near, my husband and kids gave me a wonderful surprise... A new Aggie ring for their soon to be graduate. Class of '08. Money was tight - since we'd dropped to one income, but they found a way to do it.

MY Aggie ring, with it's identifying little dent above the eagle's head, and my married name carved inside, not only carries all of the symbolism inherent in the design - the patriotism, the development of the student, service to community and country, and pride in being an Aggie. It is also a daily reminder of the sacrifices (financial, time, etc.) that my husband and children made to allow me to accomplish that goal, and of the lesson that I taught both myself and my children - that sometimes you'll have roadblocks, but any thing worth having is worth working for. Anything worth doing is worth finishing.

JPK89
AG
Congrats on your hard work!!
wangus12
AG
quote:
Mt hood stole my ring...
My biggest fear while climbing. Hence, they stay in a small zippered bag I sewed into my backpack when I climb
AG
I was to poor to buy mine until I had five or six years of working and saving. I sure appreciated it when I when I was able to get it.
Rockdoc
AG
Abilene, TX - 1976
Lost my ring that winter in my back yard while shoveling snow from a pretty heavy snowfall. I guess it slipped off my numb finger. After the snow melted my wife and I looked until we could look no more with no luck. 1978 - I had an Eskimo spitz dog that was a notorious hole digger. I saw him digging multiple holes in the back yard and proceeded to go out and whip his butt with a rolled up newspaper. I whipped him, then started to fill in the holes with dirt. There in the bottom of one of the holes was my dirty Aggie ring, about to be covered up. I surmised he was transferring it from one hole to another. Two years lost, I couldn't believe it was there. My dog never got whipped again for digging.
HBCanine08
AG
I stayed in BCS one summer working for the school inspecting, cleaning up, and picking up radioactive waste from on-campus labs to earn the money for my ring.
Raptor
AG
Went to A&M. Earned some hours. Paid about tree fiddy. Got my ring. It's at the house.
AggieAces06
AG
Got my ring the day of the Tx State game that had been pushed up because of the hurricane. Pretty cool to get your ring, then stroll over into a half empty stadium and watch Fran almost screw it up. (Well maybe the Fran part wasn't cool)
AggieHaylea13
AG
I'm a first-generation college student in my family. No one ever stressed the importance of going to college; I come from a long line of "go to high school, get married, have babies" women, so I knew if I wanted to go to college and not swim in debt, it would be all on my shoulders to pay for it all. Started dating my now husband about 5 years ago. Was going to Texas State and it wasn't challenging enough, so I wanted to transfer. Husband is class of '07 and wouldn't shut up about how awesome A&M is. I visited campus, fell in love with it, and transferred. Got my Aggie Ring 3 years ago yesterday and graduated in December of '13. Been a red ass ever since that first visit to campus.
S.A. Aggie
AG
My ring was stolen in Senior year 1983 from the Sterling C. Evans library. My fault. I wasn't used to wearing it and I was writing a paper and the ring was making it hard to write. I put it in my back pack. Shortly after I got up to go get a book and came back and my backpack was on the desk instead of the shelf above. My ring was gone. I got a loan to get a replacement.

Fast forward 10 years to1993. While working at the family ranch I realized at the end of the day that my ring was gone. Lost somewhere in the Texas Hill country ranch. Searched with a metal detector, put out a $50 bounty for anyone who found it. The nephews and cousins went wild but no luck. Three weeks later I get a letter from the ring office saying my ring was found. Turned out to be the original.

Here's what happened. A high school teacher in Normangee saw one of the students with it on his hand. She asked to see it and saw the name inside. She asked who's it was and he said it was a friends. She said the friend could pick it up. Of course he never showed. She gave it to her dad who called the ring office. Now my name starts with an "S" and the engraving made it look like a "G" so every time he spelled it to them they said no one by that name attended. He put it in his desk and forgot about it for 10 years. Then one of his employees was taking his son to A&M to move into a dorm and he gave it to him to take to the ring office. He did and that's how I ended getting it back. Balfour corrected the S to look more like an S and I got it back.

Thank you ring office!

John Francis Donaghy
I earned 90 credit hours and bought one.
GinMan
AG
Class of '92 Couldn't afford my ring, Former Students Association wouldn't let me purchase the ring with a credit card....
Went to the MSC and filled out my info and got a new credit card and a free tshirt during sign up....
Later strolled into Clayton Williams building and bought that b1tch with a credit card check....
To this day still one of the happiest moments of my life.
V-1Ag08
AG
Class of 2008. I, unfortunately wasn't born a Texan, but ended up here through the Military and the rest is sort of history. I have always been drawn to Texas and all things about it, especially A&M. I had a long fascination with going to school at A&M and once I was officially discharged from the Air Force in 2001 I moved in with a good buddy I was in the service with, and an Army veteran I didn't know.

The buddy I had served with was born and raised in Levelland, I small community 30 miles due west of Lubbock. If there was a definition of Red Raider, it was this guy. He never bore any ill will toward Aggies...and we both had a mutual distaste for that other school down the road.

Our other roommate was also from the Panhandle-Plains. He grew up in the little town of Lazzbuddie, near Spring Lake-Earth...which has probably lost everyone reading this so far. Its in the middle of nowhere, literally. When Hereford is "the big city" and you go to Clovis, New Mexico for "big shoppin'" you're out there. He was raised there, he was valedictorian of his class of eight people, he was a Texas tops scholar, and he went to the University of Texas.

Being that I had a sip and a sandflea for roommates made fall Saturdays a lot of fun, but I had no room to talk...I had not went to A&M yet, I was just a t-shirt fan. There's a great deal more comedy to this story, but in the sake of not wasting time,I'll skip to the point. Year later, I eventually enrolled at A&M and chased my dreams of being in the Corps, earning my ring, and unfortunately...eventually graduating.

When the time came for my ring audit, before I even realized it, my two former roommates were at my house. One had come over from Houston and the other up from Corpus, and they wanted to let me know that me getting my Aggie Ring was just as important to them as it was to me. For whatever reason they respected the dreams that I had, and even more so the determination that I had in seeing them through. They went on to tell me that they were living vicariously through me...even though I was in my own little maroon world.

The day that I became eligible to order my Aggie Ring, I did. A Red Raider and a Longhorn gladly paid the bill. It was one of those moments that I will never forget, especially with this slightly worn ring around my finger. I'm sure there are 1,000 stories just like it, but that one is mine.

Though it may be frowned on, after telling that I almost feel like I'm expected to say...Wreck 'Em, Hook 'Em, Gig 'Em, and God Bless.

94DallasAG
AG
I lost mine

Had to buy a new one

The end
Mr. Havok
AG
2nd generation Ag. Was gracious enough to have my mom pay for my ring.

Rained on my ring day, but it wouldn't rain on my parade. We got in there, my older sister (class of '11) presented me with my ring, (dad, the original Ag, had passed away several years prior). We got out and had a little down time. Dunked my ring that night and have worn it ever since.

With the exception of the gym, showers, large bodies of water and when the lady stays over at my place, the ring never leaves my finger.
BaileyAg
AG
My dad's story.
Newly married, money tight. Needed a loan. No collateral.
Bank manager was an Ag. Told my dad he'd accept the ring as collateral. It wasn't nearly enough against what was borrowed but the manager knew how much it was "worth".
Never left his finger
aggiedent
AG
I remember the day I opened the box containing my ring. It was a classic example of my luck. There was a casting defect in the ring around the shield. I still wonder if I'm the only guy in history to get an A&M ring with a large defect that so obviously should have been noticed before it was mailed out. So back it went.

Couple years later I'm in grad school and went to Galveston one weekend with a few classmates. We were playing beach volleyball and I made an open handed swing at a ball that was lofted directly above the net. My hand arrived at the same time as the guy on the other side of the net. That ring launched off my suntan lotion slicked finger like a mortar out of a launcher. Arced beautifully for about 50 feet into the sand. Couldn't find it after looking for about 10 minutes with a dozen guys. Started to go rent a metal detector when someone found it.

Then I don't even want to mention the time I got so frustrated after a football loss, I hurled my ring into the backyard grass. Couldn't find it. So yes, now I did go get a metal detector. Two minutes later I have my ring. And a metal detector I don't think I've ever used again. Not one of my finer moments.

For the last 20 years, it's been aging gracefully on my hand. No more drama.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Class of '88 I have lost my ring at least 3 times but each time it has found its way back to me.

I lost it at Schlitterbahn one year and didn't even notice. Two days later I got a phone call from someone who had found it.

I had lost some weight so my ring started to fall off easily. Instead of putting it away until it was resized, I continued to wear it. One day I looked down and noticed it wasn't there anymore. Searched everywhere for it to no avail. Several months later I was weedeating around the house and found it in the dirt right next to the house.

In June of this year I went tubing on the Frio. I knew better than to wear my ring so I locked it in the truck. when we got back I confirmed it was still there, but didn't put it on because I was afraid it would fall off with my hands shrunken from the cold water. We went to my niece's graduation party, then drove home that night.
The next day, I went to get my ring and could not find it. I searched all through the truck and suitcases etc... but could not find it. I assumed that it must have fallen out at the party; called my brother and asked him to search. He couldn't find it and was actually moving and selling his house the next week. I assumed the ring was lost and that I would finally have to buy another one.
Just last week I decided to check through my truck again; I found it in a pocket where I keep gas receipts; under a large pile of receipts.

So my ring is still here; smooth on the bottom, antiquing almost completely worn off, slightly bent on the bottom, and proudly worn.
AgeofEase08
AG
My first one is at the bottom of the ocean. Flew off my finger as I threw the rig-rope. Heard "Piinngg, blurp"
My second ring is probably in a pawn shop in Texas City. Left it, along with my wedding ring on the sink at Buccees. Was gone for 5 minutes. Gone.
My Third is hardly ever worn in fear that I'll lose it again.
aviationag
AG
quote:
My Aggie ring story....

My first go around at A&M in '93, I ordered my class of '94 ring - paid for by my parents. Ring day wasn't such a big deal back then, but it was still a great day. Dunked it at the Chicken, when you could still dunk it in a real pitcher and wore it with pride. For about a year.

The next summer, while out playing football in Lake Travis, the unimaginable happened. My ring fell off in the lake. We searched for hours. I was crushed. Then I flunked out of school. I won't say the two were related, but I didn't feel very much like a "real Aggie." I knew I didn't deserve another ring.

I still loved A&M with all my heart, but I got a job and moved on with life. Got married to my best friend -we met at A&M. Bridesmaids all wore maroon, and we planned our fall wedding for an away game weekend (never the less, the entire wedding party was watching the game in the pre-wedding hours). When our first son was born, we gave him an Aggie middle name courtesy of the place where we'd spent so many great Saturday afternoons - "Kyle."

A few years passed, and in 2007, we moved to Houston. I decided to go back to school and was considering U of H, and Prairie View (at least it has A&M in it's name). One weekend, while sitting at Dudleys, a good friend, hearing my plans told me - "Elsie, you're an Aggie. Why don't you go back to A&M?"

So I did. I talked to an adviser who told me I needed 17 hours to graduate. I went and made a lot of promises to the dean in my college. I took several hours at a community college in Houston - sometimes driving from Cypress to the Woodlands to take night classes when my husband was home from work to watch our two young sons. I kept my promises and got back into A&M.

It would take two semesters to finish my degree. So each morning I'd drop my oldest kiddo off at kindergarten, and the baby and I would drive to CS for classes. Dropping him off with my parents, I'd head to class, then meet them in the Home Depot parking lot to pick him up, drive back to Houston and pick up the oldest at after school care. Cook dinner, put the kids to bed and study late into the night. Rinse and repeat three days a week. Weekends were spent with me writing papers or studying for tests, instead of family time.

With graduation near, my husband and kids gave me a wonderful surprise... A new Aggie ring for their soon to be graduate. Class of '08. Money was tight - since we'd dropped to one income, but they found a way to do it.

MY Aggie ring, with it's identifying little dent above the eagle's head, and my married name carved inside, not only carries all of the symbolism inherent in the design - the patriotism, the development of the student, service to community and country, and pride in being an Aggie. It is also a daily reminder of the sacrifices (financial, time, etc.) that my husband and children made to allow me to accomplish that goal, and of the lesson that I taught both myself and my children - that sometimes you'll have roadblocks, but any thing worth having is worth working for. Anything worth doing is worth finishing.

Absolutely love your story. Congratulations for your hard work! I have a similar story but would not be as articulate in describing it as you were. I'm actually a current student ('79) and will graduate on December 16th. Thanks for taking the time to describe your journey. Gig 'Em!
MaroonStain
AG
Completed 90 hours. Received my ring, ate Subway sandwich, went to Dixie Chicken, dunked it in a pitcher of Pearl poured from five bottles, finished in 93 seconds, vacated Subway from system in Bottlecap Alley. That was 23 years ago.

Today, tu dimples are worn off and people are still curious enough to ask questions about Our Aggie Ring.
Nibblerweather
AG
I put mine in my pocket when I wipe my butt....am I the only one?
TXAG4EVR
AG
My husband gave me two Reveille rings for my Aggie ring last year. Wow! Fabulous!! Diamond pave set in platinum. People stop me all the time to get a closer look. Then, they want to know where I got it. Chuck (Fifth C), of course!!! See photo attached. (Ignore the clasp. Chuck modified my ring because arthritis has taken a toll on my knuckles.)
!
TexanJeff
AG
Got it

Put on finger

It is still there

The end
Ag Tag
I bought mine (Class of 1979) in a Shreveport pawn shop in the 1980s Can't remember the exact year I got it.
Famous Shoes
AG
I graduated High school in 1982, went to college for on e semester, flunked out, went to work for my Dad at a job I hated and tried to make a living roping for 5 years. Came to my senses in Spring of 1987 and went back to school. Couple of semesters of junior college and transferred to Texas A&M. Graduated in 1991. Next to my kids my Aggie ring is my most prized possession!
GIGEM!
Claud
Originally got my Aggie ring and it was too big. Eventually I had it re-sized smaller and it fit fine.

Many years later and now it is too tight and will never leave my finger.
Flogi
Meh. Just another overpriced piece of jewelry that sits in a box at home. About as big of a deal as the so called 'aggie network'.
Joe Exotic
AG
I still have the Aggie ring that was given to me by a fellow Vietnam POW my dad shared a Hanoi cell with. I'll never forget what he told me when he gave me that Aggie ring many years ago.

quote:

This Aggie Ring I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little land grant college in College Station, Texas. Made by the first company to ever make unified class rings. Up till then people just wore any random class ring. It was bought by private Doughboy Erine Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather's Aggie Ring and he wore it everyday he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the ring off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this ring to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he'd never seen in the flesh, his Aggie Ring. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's Aggie Ring. This ring was on your Daddy's finger when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the ring it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that ring was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this ring up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the ring. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the Aggie Ring to you.

Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
quote:
Meh. Just another overpriced piece of jewelry that sits in a box at home. About as big of a deal as the so called 'aggie network'.

History major, huh?
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Parents bought it

I dunked it

& I think I wear it the wrong way.... Whatev
texag86
AG
What a story!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.