Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bishop Gorman vs Cedar Hill this Saturday

52,916 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PhatMack19
WestGalvestonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Another Nevada team (Liberty Patriots from Henderson, NV) is coming to Austin this Friday to play Westlake

For those who don't know, Liberty is a nice public school in a good part of Las Vegas. They are nothing at all like Bishop Gorman. I suspect that Westlake will handle them fairly easily.
Fizban
quote:
quote:
I get it

He's no longer an aggie commit and he's the most overrated qb recruit in the last seventy five years.
An outsiders' viewpoint.

Martell is not a D1 QB. Slot receiver, but not a D1 QB.

Best example would be Manziels' second year in SEC, the conference has enough film for DCs' to game plan. A small QB with speed and an average arm. Difference was his offensive line and Ali Walsh. Walsh will be great at Cal.

He really didn't impress me as a QB either. He was fast, but even with a massive talent advantage all over the field he wasn't able to complete 50% of his passes... for 135 yards.

As for Manziel's second season in the SEC... that "small QB with speed and an average arm" on whom the SEC DCs had "enough film," ... he put up 4114 passing yards (second in SEC history), 4873 yards of total offense (second in SEC history behind his own 2012 record), and 46 total TDs (4th in SEC history).

... and as a Bama fan you should know better than most:

quote:
In some ways, Saban had. Despite devoting countless film sessions, chalkboard talks and practices over several months to preparation for this very game, the man whom New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick consults about defense watched Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel make Alabama's NFL prospect-filled, precision-drilled defense look like the Washington Generals.

By the time it was over Manziel had racked up 562 total yardssecond only in SEC annals to the 576 he had against Louisiana Tech last yearand the Crimson Tide had given up the most yards (628) in its mostly glorious 122-year history of playing the sport.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-manziel-nfl-future

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
I get it

He's no longer an aggie commit and he's the most overrated qb recruit in the last seventy five years.
An outsiders' viewpoint.

Best example would be Manziels' second year in SEC, the conference has enough film for DCs' to game plan. A small QB with speed and an average arm. Difference was his offensive line and Ali Walsh. Walsh will be great at Cal.

Roll Tide

You know how I know you didn't watch A&M during Johnny's second year?
Junction1956
quote:
quote:
quote:
I get it

An outsiders' viewpoint.

He really didn't impress me as a QB either. He was fast, but even with a massive talent advantage all over the field he wasn't able to complete 50% of his passes... for 135 yards.

As for Manziel's second season in the SEC... that "small QB with speed and an average arm" on whom the SEC DCs had "enough film," ... he put up 4114 passing yards (second in SEC history), 4873 yards of total offense (second in SEC history behind his own 2012 record), and 46 total TDs (4th in SEC history).

... and as a Bama fan you should know better than most:

quote:
In some ways, Saban had. Despite devoting countless film sessions, chalkboard talks and practices over several months to preparation for this very game, the man whom New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick consults about defense watched Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel make Alabama's NFL prospect-filled, precision-drilled defense look like the Washington Generals.

By the time it was over Manziel had racked up 562 total yardssecond only in SEC annals to the 576 he had against Louisiana Tech last yearand the Crimson Tide had given up the most yards (628) in its mostly glorious 122-year history of playing the sport.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-manziel-nfl-future

I concur on Manziel, imagine his numbers if he had stayed 4 years. He was one quarterback that should have stayed 4 years. He was a legend as a freshman (yes, a redshirt) and stabilized as a sophomore. His body broke down. 4 years would have generated recruits to the program. 4 years would have had SEC records that would have been unGodly.

No, my comparison was with Martell. He is not a D1 quarterback. He has speed, but an average arm at best. Bishop Gorman is actually not a bad comparison to a college program. Martell was an average quarterback on a superior team, not a quarterback to build around. Ali Walsh has agreater upside along with several offensive linemen, defensive linemen and defensive backs. Martell is a game manager.

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG
There was 0 chance certain posters would find anything but negatives to post about Martell. He could have thrown 10 touchdowns and it'd just be more of "he's on a great team that recruits."

So predictable.
Junction1956
quote:
There was 0 chance certain posters would find anything but negatives to post about Martell. He could have thrown 10 touchdowns and it'd just be more of "he's on a great team that recruits."

So predictable.
Respectfully,

I have no dog in the fight.

Martell is not a D1 quarterback. Too short, small frame, speedy, average arm at best. Slot receiver.

Roll Tide.
45-70Ag
AG
It's too early to tell what martell will or won't be.

You just described drew Brees and Manziel.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
I concur on Manziel, imagine his numbers if he had stayed 4 years. He was one quarterback that should have stayed 4 years. He was a legend as a freshman (yes, a redshirt) and stabilized as a sophomore. His body broke down.
Are you sure you concur?

Manziel as a sophomore threw for 40 more yards a game, on the back of a better completion %, better yards/attempt, and a rating almost 20 points better over his freshman year.

What he did was run less, and a little more conventionally.

And A&M's offense was better, for it.

It sure didn't look like Nick Saban game planned all that well when Johnny put up 464 yards passing and 98 yards rushing on him in 2013.
Junction1956
quote:

quote:
I concur on Manziel, imagine his numbers if he had stayed 4 years. He was one quarterback that should have stayed 4 years. He was a legend as a freshman (yes, a redshirt) and stabilized as a sophomore. His body broke down.
Are you sure you concur?

Manziel as a sophomore threw for 40 more yards a game, on the back of a better completion %, better yards/attempt, and a rating almost 20 points better over his freshman year.

What he did was run less, and a little more conventionally.

But it sure didn't look like Nick Saban game planned all that well when Johnny put up 464 yards passing and 98 yards rushing on him in 2013.

Go back to T-town, gump.
Respectfully,

Try harder, 2 percenter.

Who won the game?

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Respectfully,

Try harder, 2 percenter.

Who won the game?

Tate Martell won the game.
Junction1956
quote:
It's too early to tell what martell will or won't be.

You just described drew Brees and Manziel.
Huge difference.

Bree's was taught a passing tree in high school. Martell not so much. Spread option limits development, more read and react.

We'll see.

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG
So he is or isn't too short?
Junction1956
quote:

quote:
Respectfully,

Try harder, 2 percenter.

Who won the game?

Tate Martell won the game.
Focus,

I noticed you edited the insult out, thank you. No need to be classless.

Are we discussing Manziel or Martell? Alabama won against Texas A&M in College Station and we were lucky.
Martell is not a D1 QB.

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG
So winning the game has nothing to do with the quality of the QB? I thought you just said...

You gotta get your story straight.

Go back to T-town, gump.

There, the insult is back.
Junction1956
Lol,

You're just upset because OU will never be in the SEC.

Manziel beat OU, Martell can't. He doesn't have the "it" factor that Manziel had, or are you saying Martell is as good or better than Manziel?

Roll Tide
suchislife
quote:
FWIW, Bishop Gorman's recruiting isn't near the level of IMG's recruiting. Again, IMG has a global recruiting staff that you can read all about on their website. There whole reason for existing is to find elite athletes and get them to come down and train at IMG so they can tout all the elite athletes that have trained there on their next reruiting visit.

BG is mostly pulling kids from southern Nevada and California and while that's certainly a bigger range than a John Curtis seems to go after, you won't see BG walking out with 17 top-300 recruits. That they had the 3 or 4 big names this year is historically good for BG.
This. IMG recruits at a national level, whereas BG is basically a Nevada all star team and recruits in a much more restricted geographical region. About 80-90% of the roster is comprised of kids who grew up in Vegas. The best players from Cali stay in Cali.
ashley
How many on here have ever called a play and at what level?
BMX Bandit
quote:

Counting video games?

If no, less than .01% of the zoo.
Credible Source
AG
Who grows up in Vegas?
ashley
quote:
quote:

Counting video games?

Credible Source
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Counting video games?

ashley
quote:
quote:

Counting video games?

That was my guess. I wondered where all the wisdom came from.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
Another Nevada team (Liberty Patriots from Henderson, NV) is coming to Austin this Friday to play Westlake

Westlake lost 21-14 to liberty
WestGalvestonAggie

Viva Las Vegas, Mofos!

Scotty Appleton
Ha ha.

Wow. I mean the NFL draft and rosters every year prove that SoCal kids are better, so the BG - Cedar Hill score wasn't surprising. Now pure Nevada kids are beating TX powerhouses.

TyHolden
AG
quote:
Ha ha.

Wow. I mean the NFL draft and rosters every year prove that SoCal kids are better, so the BG - Cedar Hill score wasn't surprising. Now pure Nevada kids are beating TX powerhouses.

Don't think ehlinger played...Westlake/tu commit qb. That's a big deal.

http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=22187&Season=2016&Sport=1&tab=tab1#tab1
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
quote:

Westlake lost 21-14 to liberty

Yeah I was there tonight. Westlake couldn't move the ball at all without a respectable passing attack. Liberty was good, but I don't think they would have won if Westlake had Ehlinger running the offense. At this point Westlake just needs to make the playoffs and hope QB1 is back healthy by then.
PhatMack19
AG
quote:
quote:
Ha ha.

Don't think ehlinger played...Westlake/tu commit qb. That's a big deal.

http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=22187&Season=2016&Sport=1&tab=tab1#tab1

He tore the meniscus in both knees in their win over Katy last week and had surgery Tuesday. They haven't ruled out his return, but I would guess he's done for the season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.