Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Johnny Manziel Lawyer mistakenly sends text to AP.....

38,075 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggiebrewer
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
That's fair....has to be terrible feeling. We need better laws for addicts
elaborate... you think "better laws" help this how?
rollingwoodaggie
Sorry but from past stories Paul treated Johnny like his own personal sports hero. Now that the hero has fallen Paul is trying now to be a dad but that should have started years ago. Really sad
Tramp78
AG
The gas pipe purchase was based off of someone producing a receipt and saying Manziel bought a bunch of stuff. Not confirmed. What the lawyer sent the AP was regarding the hit and run earlier this week.

The AP reported that Manziel's lawyer Bob Hinton mistakenly sent the AP a long text message, which he said later was meant for another attorney, presumably discussing a plea bargain in Manziel's domestic violence assault case and apparently suggesting he believes Manziel might have trouble staying clean if that is part of any deal.

"Heaven help us if one of the conditions is to pee in a bottle."

Hinton also wrote, the AP said, that he was emailed a "heads up" receipt "which purports to reflect" that Manziel spent more than $1,000 at a drug paraphernalia store this week, 15 hours after an incident in which his car was hit and the other car that hit his drove off.

"I don't know if the receipt is legitimate or not," Hinton responded when asked about it by the AP. "I just know that it doesn't say Johnny's name on it anywhere that I can see. It's just that somebody in that store, I guess, circulated that to the other store managers and employees saying, 'Guess who was here today and spent this amount of money.' That's all I know."
Buford T. Justice
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Paul Manziel, the quarterback's father, told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants his son to get well but that he has to do that for himself.

"He's a druggie. It's not a secret that he's a druggie," Paul Manziel said Friday. "I don't know what to say other than my son is a druggie and he needs help. He just hasn't seeked it yet. Hopefully he doesn't die before he comes to his senses. That's about all you can say. I don't know what else to say.

"I hate to say it but I hope he goes to jail. I mean, that would be the best place for him. So we'll see."

"I had him in rehab and he escaped and the doctors let him go, and that is a whole other story." Paul Manziel told ESPN on Friday. "So, I mean, I had him and the system failed. It didn't work. He has more money than me so he can outrun me.

"Like I said, there are two things are going to happen: He's either going to die, or he's going to figure out that he needs help. It's one of the two. But we've done everything that we can do. Life goes on. You can't just chase somebody that's not willing to listen."

Wow seems like parenting is part of the problem

I've always believed that to be the case.
I think all of this is Johnny giving it to his old man, and exhibiting some control on a situation for the first time in his life, only he got out way out of control.
. . .
quote:
Paul Manziel knows that he and his wife Michelle are harshly judge for their son's failings.

"We're so far past that," he said. "That was years ago. We're so far past what everybody thinks we are past. People are ignorant. It's just a horrible story. That's all there is to it."

"I'm done. I'm done talking about it," he said. "I'm doing my job, and I'm going to move on. If I have to bury him, I'll bury him. That's the fact. So if not, if he calls me and needs help, I'll go get him. Until then, he's on his own. I've done everything I can do. There is nothing [else] I can do as a father. Nothing.... It is, what it is. He's a druggie and everybody needs to accept it."

Anderson asked Paul Manziel to share Michelle's sentiments about the situation.

"We're done,'' he said. "We don't have the energy to spend anymore. We're done," he said. "Life goes on. I'm not going to keep talking about it. I'm just moving on. If he needs me, I'll come get him."
Demosthenes81
AG
On Children
Kahlil Gibran
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
"Seeked"

LOL
SRBS
8 months ago he went 24 out of 33 for 372 yards against the Steelers.
He'll be lucky to be living in a van down by the river 8 months from now.
BR0
quote:
quote:
quote:
Paul Manziel, the quarterback's father, told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants his son to get well but that he has to do that for himself.

"He's a druggie. It's not a secret that he's a druggie," Paul Manziel said Friday. "I don't know what to say other than my son is a druggie and he needs help. He just hasn't seeked it yet. Hopefully he doesn't die before he comes to his senses. That's about all you can say. I don't know what else to say.

"I hate to say it but I hope he goes to jail. I mean, that would be the best place for him. So we'll see."

"I had him in rehab and he escaped and the doctors let him go, and that is a whole other story." Paul Manziel told ESPN on Friday. "So, I mean, I had him and the system failed. It didn't work. He has more money than me so he can outrun me.

"Like I said, there are two things are going to happen: He's either going to die, or he's going to figure out that he needs help. It's one of the two. But we've done everything that we can do. Life goes on. You can't just chase somebody that's not willing to listen."

There are a lot of Aggies, myself included, who know somebody who knows the Manziels, or knew Johnny at Tivy. They will all tell you the same thing. He was a train wreck even back in high school, and his parents did not parent him. They enabled him, and it continued through A&M, where Sumlin looked the other way. While all of this is on Johnny first and foremost, I'm sure Paul Manziel is realizing how much he failed as a parent through the first 24ish years of his son's life right about now.
libertyag
AG
quote:
Paul sounds like a really great Dad.
Paul may very well be a pretty poor parent but Johnny is an even worse son. Some people just don't want to be helped. I think Johnny is one of those.
Viper16
AG

Parenting problem? Maybe....maybe not. Unless you personally have had hands on parenting experience in a similar situation, I say you have no room to make that assessment of the parents.
mpaggie06
AG
quote:

Quote:
Paul sounds like a really great Dad.Paul may very well be a pretty poor parent but Johnny is an even worse son. Some people just don't want to be helped. I think Johnny is one of those.

I'm a firm believer that every man controls his own destiny, but an even bigger believer that parents define the path that their children walk. I take no responsibility away from JFF, but his parents deserve 100% of the blame as well. Collectively they are 200% responsible for the piece of **** that he is now, and it's even worse that they (the dad) keeps giving interviews that condemn a son without any fault of themselves. That whole family is ****.
Bodhi
AG
quote:
quote:

Quote:
Paul sounds like a really great Dad.Paul may very well be a pretty poor parent but Johnny is an even worse son. Some people just don't want to be helped. I think Johnny is one of those.

I'm a firm believer that every man controls his own destiny, but an even bigger believer that parents define the path that their children walk. I take no responsibility away from JFF, but his parents deserve 100% of the blame as well. Collectively they are 200% responsible for the piece of **** that he is now, and it's even worse that they (the dad) keeps giving interviews that condemn a son without any fault of themselves. That whole family is ****.
Bodhi
AG
quote:
quote:

Quote:

ClassOf17
quote:

Parenting problem? Maybe....maybe not. Unless you personally have had hands on parenting experience in a similar situation, I say you have no room to make that assessment of the parents.

I don't, thank goodness. I was blessed with parents that would've beaten my ass if I acted that way.

I'm not blaming the parents. This is all Johnny's fault; but when you see your kid struggling, why in the hell do you talk about him like that to a news reporter? It sounds to me like they let him do whatever and he is now facing the consequences of that. Instead of going through hell trying to help him, they expect others to or him to do it himself. Again, I could be totally wrong, and I hope I am.. Just saying what I see.
Nom de Plume
AG
Sounds to me like a move out of complete desperation. He tells us there's much we don't even know about, and is publicly blasting his son once and for all as an absolute last resort.
Windy City Ag
AG
With true addicts, it is not a function of parents beating your ass. Caring for an addict is truly overwhelming and unpredictable and exhausting and in many cases futile process. Parents get desperate, and part of that is dropping the charade and reinforcing to your child, who is in hard denial mode, that he is an addict.

Whatever he did before, Paul Manuel seems to be trying to save his son.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's 90% of the problem. Johnny has been doing what he wants and getting bailed out since he was in grade school. And save it with the "you don't know about addicts" crap. Johnny didn't have a dad. He had a drinking buddy to golf with.
TX AG 88
AG
Sometimes when you hit rock bottom, there's no bounce.
Lateralus Ag
BeastmodeAg
AG
So....what did he buy?
Cancelled
AG
Maybe it was for a Half Christmas white elephant party. You guys are just jealous about his baller lifestyle and all the girls he's banging. /Texags apologists
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Paul sounds like a really great Dad.

This. Pot calling the kettle black. Don Corleone saying Luca Brazzi should go to prison for murder.
schwack schwack
AG
First of all, let me get this out of the way: I know nothing about nothing. I don't have kids, no family members with severe addiction problems, nothing. I'd sworn off even looking at any more Johnny posts. BUT, I can say that I feel surprisingly real sorrow for him and his family after reading this this morning. I don't know them personally, just feel the Aggie kinship with them that I feel with all of you. I sincerely hope he can snap to & save his own life.
Cancelled
AG
This attorney looks like a real buffoon. I couldn't imagine having to explain to my client why I was texting about his case.
ag2003
AG
I bet he's claiming it was on accident but was really on purpose bc they wanted to get this out in the media bc they don't know what else to do to get through to him. I can't fathom any attorney worth two ****s is that incompetent
Cancelled
AG
quote:
I bet he's claiming it was on accident but was really on purpose bc they wanted to get this out in the media bc they don't know what else to do to get through to him. I can't fathom any attorney worth two ****s is that incompetent

I hope for that attorney's sake it wasn't on purpose for the reason you stated.
Phil Garner
You don't get it.
ag2003
AG
Explain then....is the lawyer really that dumb to put together that telling if a text about a client and not double check who he sent it too?
ATM9000
AG
He's a lawyer, not God. I'd say it's quite plausible for that to occur and probably most of us have misfired a text or email to the wrong person.
ag2003
AG
Are you kidding me? This is likely the most, if not only, well known client that the media is following every move......and they are just texting each other this **** about their most famous client? No, that's a mistake you absolutely can't make.....most incompetent lawyer if truly was an accident
Cancelled
AG
He's got a little problem now. Let's say it was intentional. Did he have his client's consent to pull a bull **** stunt like that? Can his client, a drug riddled fool, consent?

I'd say it was a mistake by a lawyer who has made a practice of living the fast life and trying his cases in the media rather than studying the law.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:
I can't believe Mike Pettine is still after him. I bet somehow Hyman is pulling the strings on the whole vendetta against Manziel. And his dad is clearly getting paid to say all these things.

Im sure you think you are funny, and I apologize in advance for coming down on you because you certainly aren't the only one casting stones.

Aggies laughing at Manziel make me f'cking sick. A person who brought us all great joy has his life is crashing in front of us & some just giggle like school girls. Pathetic.

It's a tragedy what he has done to himself. I hope he gets it together.
DenverAg91
AG
Looking back, were his issues worse than we thought while he was here at Texas A&M? Did NFL teams know things we didn't?

It's surprising that he slid all the way to 22 since even some projected him to go #1 overall and most analysts had him in the top 10. (Granted there were other concerns such as size and playing style)
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
Almost certainly a mistake (I'd say similar to the "reply all" many/most have probably made)

What's the end game if on purpose?

With consent?: Well they're already claiming it as a mistake, so they've got to keep that charade. Even with no grievance filed (since with consent), this lawyer is left with that reputation and having to explain to future potential clients "well, it was actually on purpose as some sort of marketing thing to get help for Johnny". Just doesn't seem likely

If on purposive with no consent: career killer (unless ready to retire or got ok from rich daddy that rich daddy Paul would take care of). Doesn't seem likely

I'd venture mistake -- incredibly dumb mistake but mainly only because of the seriousness of the message. I'd venture we have ALL made the mistake of texting wrong person at some point (and probably in a scenario where the text was more serious than other texts we've sent). Probably be a bar journal article or even EO in future about texting being privileged, etc

My $.02

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.