Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly with another stellar article

17,453 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by panhandlefarmer
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:
Oh and, Up yours!

45-70Ag
AG
They said they didn't want to play us again.

We're just making sure they live up to their end of the deal.
AggieGreg06
AG
I had trouble sleeping, so I fact-checked this article and tweeted about it. I have the same username on Twitter if you want to see the actual tweets but here's the basic summary:

Let's fact check the @geronimolomax about the potential A&M-Tech bowl game that isn't happening...

Anything in quotes is taken from
this article: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/texas-am-and-texas-tech-should-be-playing-a-bowl-game/

Fact #1 from the article: "The Texas Bowl pays out $3 million, $250,000 more than the Music City Bowl." - Correct

"(Yes, the SEC pools its teams bowl money, but A&M can't claim Music City Bowl prestige is worth more than the cash.)" - Agreed

Fact #2: LSU has a better record than A&M (8-3 > 8-4) and beat A&M in our game. Shouldn't they get a more prestigious bowl than us? (Yes)

Unfortunately, that information didn't fit this juicy narrative that A&M was ducking Tech, so those facts were mysteriously left out.

Fact #3: LSU played in the Music City Bowl last year. Maybe the SEC didn't want to send them to the same bowl 2 years in a row? (Duh!)

Why was this very pertinent fact not mentioned by @geronimolomax? Again, it didn't fit hit juicy narrative, so that fact was ignored.

"Fact" #4: "And Tech just has their number. Since 2000, the Aggies have beaten the Red Raiders five times and lost eight" - LOL NOPE!!

A&M is 5-7 against Tech since 2000, not 5-8. C'mon man! Easy mistake to find if you know we played from '00-'11 = 12 games @geronimolomax

"Tech just has their number." Fact #5, and this is a real fact: Ags have won their last 3 games against Tech, so they don't have our number any longer.

The truth is Mike Leach had our number and no good Aggie would dispute that but Leach isn't there anymore.

Fact #6: Sumlin is 19-0 vs. non-SEC teams in his 4 years at A&M. That includes bowl wins over OU & WV from the Big 12.

Fact #7: A&M is ranked 4th in the country in pass defense.

Despite having the 4th ranked pass defense in the country, we tried to avoid playing a passing team? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

"It's hard to sell this as a recruiting trip for A&M..." Fact #8: Tyrel Dodson and Ikenna Okeke are Tennessee HS kids committed to A&M.

Fact #9 - John Chavis played and coached (and won a national title) at the Univ. of Tennessee. The man has some pull in that state. See Fact #8.

"...as Tennessee and Kentucky annually duke it out for the most feeble high school talent in SEC country" - We talking hoops now?

Final thoughts - @geronimolomax wrote a 1-sided hit piece on A&M, so I'm happy to point out a few facts that he conveniently left out.

Bad sports journalism is a major pet peeve of mine if you haven't noticed by now. Tell both sides of a story and let the reader form their own opinion.
TripleSec
AG
Typical libtard.
Leap Day William
Any Ag who agrees with that article is a self-loathing fool.

It is not A&M's duty to raise the self-esteem of other Texas schools by playing them and making them feel important. We spent decades going to the same in-state bowls and playing these teams every year. We left for a reason. If the big12 loving idiots cannot understand that, **** them.

Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
The only way to end this talk is to sack up and play them.

That would be like giving in to a pouting child. I sure as hell hope you don't have kids.
Miles711
AG
Dear Big 12-2-2+2

coupland boy
AG
quote:
The only way to end this talk is to sack up and play them.

We're just going to have to be smarter than this. We have! After this game we will have played big 12 teams in 50% of our bowl games since we left.

This will be the narrative each bowl season we don't find ourselves playing a big 12 team. And why shouldn't it be? It will either gain traction, gullible Ags included, or not. If not then no one other than us will care.
Predmid
AG
Your math is wrong....
bqce
AG
Even though we've played two BIG 12 teams in bowls, we still got hammered for not playing tu last year - which is why we shouldn't care what these losers say. It won't make a difference.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
Your math is wrong....

Who is that addressed to?

2012 ou
2013 Dookies
2014 Couch Burners
2015 Louisville
coupland boy
AG
quote:
Even though we've played two BIG 12 teams in bowls, we still got hammered for not playing tu last year - which is why we shouldn't care what these losers say. It won't make a difference.

I was making the case to Ags willing to fall for this. But you're right.
OldSaltAg
sports, I understand why you would call the magazine to vent your frustration, but making a customer service rep cry is not necessary. We are aggies and aggies are better than that. I have called direct tv, the dallas morning news, houston chronicle, etc. many times in the past to give them a piece of my mind, but I was always respectful to them. When I'm working one of my favorite places to hang out is Legends Saloon in Rockport. During the winter there are a lot of snowbirds there who aren't familiar with the traditions of A&M. They will usually ask about my overalls, or my t-shirt, or whatever aggie gear I'm wearing. I always go out of my way to tell them all about this university and everything it stands for. But I do it in a respectful way.
waco_aggie05
AG
quote:
sports, I understand why you would call the magazine to vent your frustration, but making a customer service rep cry is not necessary. We are aggies and aggies are better than that. I have called direct tv, the dallas morning news, houston chronicle, etc. many times in the past to give them a piece of my mind, but I was always respectful to them. When I'm working one of my favorite places to hang out is Legends Saloon in Rockport. During the winter there are a lot of snowbirds there who aren't familiar with the traditions of A&M. They will usually ask about my overalls, or my t-shirt, or whatever aggie gear I'm wearing. I always go out of my way to tell them all about this university and everything it stands for. But I do it in a respectful way.
Well said.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Well done AggieGreg06.

Just the fact alone that Chief can still pull in recruits from Tenn. is enough to justify the bowl. And LSU with a better record and win over us gives them first shot. And who wants the same bowl every year. Certainly not LSU.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Rejecting Logic and Facts for emotions generated by feel good lies!

The way of both the liberal and the Tard alike!
swc93
AG
quote:
Unlike other conferences, which allow their teams to accept lower-tier bowl bids on their own, the SEC has ultimate authority over which of its teams go where since last year, or at least after the big shows are settled.

This is were the article should have ended and the troll attempt by the author stopped.
Predmid
AG
quote:
quote:
Your math is wrong....

Who is that addressed to?

2012 ou
2013 Dookies
2014 Couch Burners
2015 Louisville

Not that.

quote:
A&M is 5-7 against Tech since 2000, not 5-8. C'mon man! Easy mistake to find if you know we played from '00-'11 = 12 games @geronimolomax

And nevermind. I shouldn't texags first thing in the morning.

CARRY ON. IM DUMB.
revolutionAG
That mag is trash no doubt.

but

If the options are Texas Bowl vs Music City, I would choose Texas Bowl. I would be excited about that game against Tech. Playing Louisville... no excitement for that matchup.

So for pure entertainment value I would choose to play the tards of Lubbock.

Buford T. Justice
AG
My personal opinion, I am so glad that we are in the SEC. Moving on was the right thing to do, but we should never forget where we came from, nor our history. To me, playing Tech would be a great event. Not so much with L'ville.

But...I think we are at a dangerous point as a fan base, where we collectively think much too highly of ourselves, simply because we left one conference for another, one which at the time, was riding an all-time high in media perception.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Face it, the Big XII wants to take a shot at us every year. If we could play them in a bowl and don't, this article will be the same every year. "A&M scared to play Big XII". We played OU and West Virginia the last two years, but to the Big XII, they want a shot at giving us an "L" every year. Prepare to read these every year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.