Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Regents Approved the New Seal

25,795 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AlexSAWineguy
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Are you guys really this upset about something so trivial?

People boast about how much tradition A&M has, so it pisses me off when the BOR decides to make a change to something that has been touched ONCE in 139 years. I'm sorry I want the diploma I receive to look exactly like the ones my brothers received before me. I'm sorry I don't want the university wasting money to change the seals across the campus in the future. I'm sorry I don't like it when the BOR passes a ruling without consulting the current or former students. I'm sorry I don't like it when our BOR care more about "Branding" than the academic footprint of our school.

But I guess I'm just trivial
TheDoctor
AG
You mean the old one looks like someone took the seal of our state and incorporated A&M into it. Yeah. So awful.
Old Main
AG
The Dog Lord... You should consider posting your original post here on the Petition thread for the people who get linked there and don't see this thread.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
The Dog Lord... You should consider posting your original post here on the Petition thread for the people who get linked there and don't see this thread.

Will do
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
Class of '91 here. I like the new one a LOT better. Old one screams 'star plastered sloppily in top of a T'. New one looks like aTm.

Like it.
Are you talking about the seal of the State of Texas (you know, the one on the side of your Aggie Ring) with the signature T behind it?

Yeah, I'd rather my official seal look like a T shirt.

End Of Message
AG
Looks ****ing ridiculous.

AgKJ
AG
quote:
Quote:Class of '91 here. I like the new one a LOT better. Old one screams 'star plastered sloppily in top of a T'. New one looks like aTm.

Like it.
quote:
Are you talking about the seal of the State of Texas (you know, the one on the side of your Aggie Ring) with the signature T behind it?
Yeah, I'd rather my official seal look like a T shirt.

Not sure what you're referring to - the side of my ring has a star, but no 'T' buried sloppily underneath it like something an elementary schooler would do.
AgKJ
AG
quote:
I'm sorry I want the diploma I receive to look exactly like the ones my brothers received before me. I'm sorry I don't want the university wasting money to change the seals across the campus in the future. I'm sorry I don't like it when the BOR passes a ruling without consulting the current or former students. I'm sorry I don't like it when our BOR care more about "Branding" than the academic footprint of our school.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Honestly prior to today if you'd asked me to describe the "seal" on my diploma I would've had no idea what you were talking about. But after looking at the old one today compared to the new one, the new one seems a hundred times better to me. Different strokes, I guess. Who cares.
suburban cowboy
AG
can someone please take a **** on Sharp's doorstep and light it on fire; I feel like that's exactly what he did to future diplomas
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Looks ****ing ridiculous.

My ring would be ashamed to be connected with that by association.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm sorry I want the diploma I receive to look exactly like the ones my brothers received before me. I'm sorry I don't want the university wasting money to change the seals across the campus in the future. I'm sorry I don't like it when the BOR passes a ruling without consulting the current or former students. I'm sorry I don't like it when our BOR care more about "Branding" than the academic footprint of our school.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Honestly prior to today if you'd asked me to describe the "seal" on my diploma I would've had no idea what you were talking about. But after looking at the old one today compared to the new one, the new one seems a hundred times better to me. Different strokes, I guess. Who cares.
I guess it just irks me that this was done for the sole purpose of "branding". No one asked for it they just did it. All I know is that when one day I look at my diploma in my office or home, I want it to symbolize Texas A&M as a school, not Texas A&M as an athletics brand.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Sign the petition!! Let's get this changed back so we actually look like a professional academic institution.

It is one of the stupidest things I have seen. Putting the beveled block ATM is
redundant as it already says Texas A&M on it. It also looks cheap.
All Sharp sees is dollar signs. Do these people have nothing better to
do than change something that has no business being changed.

Current and Former Students unite against this embarrassing symbol!
mikethetxaggie
AG
quote:
Class of '91 here. I like the new one a LOT better. Old one screams 'star plastered sloppily in top of a T'. New one looks like aTm.

Like it.

You're a little young to have dementia. T&P.
aeon-ag
quote:
University of Phoenix at College Station.
More like t.u. on the Brazos.

The egotistical @sses are not going to change it back no matter what everyone tries to do,
rjamizon
quote:
quote:
I like it.
You can go dream about what it would be like to have an A&M diploma - new seal and all.

Ooh. Tell me more about how I don't have a diploma.
The Dog Lord
AG
If they did want to change it more, what if it was similar to the ring?
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
I just tore up my IMPORTANT FORMER STUDENT VERIFICATION postcard.
You only got one? I think I've received six now.
Psych
AG
quote:
quote:
they snuck this ****ty idea in faster and quieter than the idea to rename the Academic Building after Perry.
Especially since you'll notice it was placed on the consent agenda. Which means it is presumed there is no need for debate or discussion on the matter and approval will happen by consent, ie without vote. I believe there were 46 items on today's consent agenda. These are usually reserved for routine housekeeping items such as minutes approval and items discussed previously.

Since (to my knowledge) it has not been discussed in a previous meeting as an agenda item it was discussed OUTSIDE of regular meetings. By that, one can presume the BOR is conducting business outside of meetings which is a direct violation of the Texas Open Meetings Act!

If I were a lawyer, I would file a lawsuit against them tomorrow.

SUE THEM. SUE THEM ALL!!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
If they did want to change it more, what if it was similar to the ring?

That would have made too much sense.

Instead, they went with a t-shirt logo designed by Nike in the '90's at the behest of the football coach.
Ag of Northern Virginia
I was never a fan of the old seal. However, the new seal upsets me off because it makes Texas A&M University look less like an academic institution and more like a football factory (and we've been meh at that, too). I would be equally upset if the seal wasn't beveled. Whoever replaced the tu shield with the female reproductive system is spot on.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
Typical bureaucrats, spending others money for what others don't want!!!
I guess they decided the university seal needed to look as amateur and ugly as the dumb*** statues around Kyle Field.

I am sick of these people. And Bowtie Loftin that so many of you heralded was as bad as any of them. Always made sure he was in front of a camera, grinning and acting like a goofball and your best friend while stabbing you in the back by spending $$. George H. W. Bush and his cohort Robert Gates are at the top of the list for the many changes and downfall to A&M, global 2020, one world crap, and the start of this liberal Board of Regents.

How many of you realize that every student is now charged a fee to support a GLBT student center on campus? And it is my understanding they have $100,000 annual budget. I guess the renovated MSC isn't good enough for them. Bowen started it and Murano managed to accelerate this bulls**t in her short stint. Why should all students have to pay for a few?

Now this bunch of idiot board of regents hired one of the most liberal lawyers for president they could have possibly found from one of the most liberal of states, dedicated to international affairs for most of his career. Great, that is what A&M needs is more foreign professors that will not learn English, and catering to the admission of more foreign students instead of our own Texas students.

While Ol Sarge has been deep sixed. Disgraceful!!! That was a special reminder of all the Aggie veterans who served our country, especially the WWII veterans who answered the call and left school willing to give their lives for the freedoms we enjoy.

I am more than disgusted by the whole lot of them, the administration and the board of regents, who care nothing about Texas A&M students, the former students, or the great university it once was.

It is all about money.
It must be so cool to be stuck in the 18th century.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
quote:
I'm sorry I don't like it when our BOR care more about "Branding" than the academic footprint of our school.

It's completely ****ing trivial. There are few things in this world that are more trivial then the picture A&M decides to stick on your diploma.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the world could not possibly give less of a ****. Some of you seriously need to invest in something worth while in your life if you have this much emotional and mental energy to expend on something so completely meaningless.

There. I said it.
Counterpoint
AG
This movement needs to be led by someone who isn't anti-bevel. Otherwise they'll just think we're complaining about trivial stuff again.

cevans_40
AG
quote:
This movement needs to be led by someone who isn't anti-bevel. Otherwise they'll just think we're complaining about trivial stuff again.

That person may be hard to find. And when you do find that person, you know their taste sucks because they like the bevel.
Scotch
AG
While many assumed we had tin foil hats on, many of us realized the bevel Gestapo would not stop until they made the bevel so entrenched at A&M it could never go away.

I would be ok with a thoughtful redesign of the T-AM logo, but why latch onto something a lackey at Nike designed in the 90's???

As for the seal, it's so ridiculous and unnecessary to change something that has stood the test of over 100 years, but it was also unnecessary to insist departments use the bevel on embroidered shirts even though the solid logo is much more practical and better looking, but the radical bevelers did just that in the past.
RhodeAg
AG
Some of you on TexAgs seem just seem to want something to rail against...to show your 'outrage' when anything is changed. It gets old.

I'm fine with the new seal...and frankly, how often does anyone really see it. I'm as much for tradition as any on here but this seems like a tempest in a teapot.

My only question is why change it? The original one was fine as is. There is a cost associated with making such a change...why bother?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
Some of you on TexAgs seem just seem to want something to rail against...to show your 'outrage' when anything is changed.
That's why I was saying someone who isn't anti-bevel should lead this because what you wrote IS the impression they probably have about us.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm sorry I don't like it when our BOR care more about "Branding" than the academic footprint of our school.

It's completely ****ing trivial. There are few things in this world that are more trivial then the picture A&M decides to stick on your diploma.

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the world could not possibly give less of a ****. Some of you seriously need to invest in something worth while in your life if you have this much emotional and mental energy to expend on something so completely meaningless.

There. I said it.
You're absolutely right that there are bigger things in this world to worry about. I think some are not only upset about the change, but that the Board of Regents for a major university system are bothering with issues like this as well. THEY have much more serious issues to consider. Also, this is an internet message board; no one here is using their time as effectively or efficiently as they could be.
Bob Kelso
AG
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(We boo when we're really pissed)
7thGenTexan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

There. I said it.

Did that make you feel better? It's not our fault you couldn't get a diploma or that you have bad taste.
RhodeAg
AG
quote:

RhodeAg
AG
quote:
quote:

DFWag84
Let's have 12 empty seats on student side 50 YD line row 1....

Oh wait.

Any more bright ideas?

Name the Academic building for Perry?
Philip J Fry
AG
The BOR and the Chancellor need to be replaced. Anyone who voted for this should be looking for a new job.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.