Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dave Christensen for OL coach - feelings?

26,667 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jeffk
R E L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the hire, Utah was not expected to really compete this year, and they definitely over-achieved (something we could use help in doing). Whether he is co-OC or full OC or whatever his involvement, a change is needed and he has the fire and know how that.
TMartin
Offensive line under performed so this is a good pickup. More importantly, I wonder how Spavital feels about having a qualified OC on board.
Necrosis
AG
quote:
I kind of like him after watching this! We need somebody that's a little pissed off.

http://deadspin.com/5953372/look-at-me-mr-****ing-howdy-doody-wyoming-head-coach-goes-on-hilarious-rant-after-loss-to-air-force
I like this.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Demo_Slug
AG
he has some books and coaching videos tapes on Amazon. Some one should buy the book and read iT for us.
Bonfire96
AG
quote:
If he can teach our OL to hold and not get called like our SEC opponents, I will be fine with him,
I'd also like to see our Oline get their hands in the dirt again, so they can get a better leverage, rather than getting blown off the LOS by 5 yds.
SECTAMU#1
Christensen, 53, coached at Utah only one season but improved the Utes running game to 190.4 yards per game, which ranks 40th nationally. Utah ranked 71st last season (160.3).He had been the head coach at Wyoming from 2009-13, compiling a 27-35 record.Christensen spent 17 seasons as an assistant for Gary Pinkel from 1992-2000 at Toledo then from 2001-08 at Missouri. Christensen was assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Missouri. Pinkel hired Christensen as an offensive line coach at Toledo, then made him offensive coordinator in 1997
Kemo Sabe
Spent a year studying pac12 teams, which may well come in handy against Arizona state!
Bunny Ag
So we can talk about this now?

RIP brisket
Catfishfoereal
People that say "meh" to this hire simply know very little about football. He ran offense good enough to be hired away from Mizzou! He knows a thing or two about O-Line play as well as every other unit on Offense and his experience and resume is a huge upgrade for the position group coaching he is replacing.

Additionally, whether he comes in as a Co-OC or not it is a smart move because with as many of our coaches being poached by other teams you have more of an upward mobility type staff where you can promote from within and then replace open spots with excellent (and sometimes relatively unheard of) positional coaches.

This process is much preferred because it allows the staff to create and maintain stability, consistency and work ethic by the reward of possible promotion. It is also preferred because you can take much of the drama and gamesmanship out of replacing coaches and still keep a top notch staff in place................
Madden
I love the hire, I also see he is the new running game coordinator
razor63
AG
quote:
Video makes him look like a *****. He starts yelling stuff and keeps veering off to the right away from the other coach.

If he had a sack, he would have manned up and hit the ****er. Nothing but a ****ing blow hard.
EASY Sparkie!
Tamu_mgm
AG
Very good pickup. Tons of experience in multiple capacities in college football since the '80s, including that of OL and OC. Christensen knows college football well, and I bet will most definitely improve our running game. I like the hire despite the lack of "splash" he brings.

One thing is for sure though: Sumlin is focused on improving the run game. That's always a good thing.
dreyOO
quote:
Offensive line under performed so this is a good pickup. More importantly, I wonder how Spavital feels about having a qualified OC on board.
That's actually why I appreciate this hire. We were greatly lacking in experience. This guy has it in spades. It will be obvious when they're in meetings if this guy starts to stand out as 'actually knowing what he's doing' versus just following a very limited spread playbook.

For Summy, it means he can quickly go to an alternative if Spav isn't delivering early next year. Not much different than when he replaced Babers mid-year.
rangerdanger
AG
Does he know how to run the jumbo package from the 1 yd line?
Picadillo
I like the hire.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
I would love to know the last time there was a splash hire in college football for an OL coach? Oh yeah, Wickline. He invented the offensive line.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
That's actually why I appreciate this hire. We were greatly lacking in experience. This guy has it in spades. It will be obvious when they're
in meetings if this guy starts to stand out as 'actually knowing what
he's doing' versus just following a very limited spread playbook.

For Summy, it means he can quickly go to an alternative if Spav isn't delivering early next year. Not much different than when he
replaced Babers mid-year.

Exactly. For all the griping on here about Spav (rightfully so), Summy had already known Spav was limited in some areas for being so inexperienced. This collaboration should be just what the doctor ordered for us to have a more balanced / complete offense. Or at least one where the run is a threat.
cc10106
"Feelings"? "Splash"? WTF is this, a football board for nancies?
Catfishfoereal
quote:
I would love to know the last time there was a splash hire in college football for an OL coach? Oh yeah, Wickline. He invented the offensive line.
dmart90
AG
quote:
I don't care if we ever make a ****ing splash hire. I want guys that want to be here and want and know how to coach up the kids we have and help us get quality recruits. Looks like this guy fits that bill.

Dr. Abbott, DDS - this was not intended to be a slam at you. You were making a valid point. Yours was just a convenient post to quote.
JJxvi
AG
There is no splash hire for OL coach beside idiotic pipe dreams like Mike Sherman, or people like Bruce Matthews and Jim Turner who are just guys people have heard of.

It's doubtful that most people on here could even name one OL coach in the SEC without looking it up.
Red Skye
AG
Who the **** is this Sean Jones ******bag and why do we continuously keep feeding his lame-ass troll attempts?
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
There is no splash hire for OL coach beside idiotic pipe dreams like Mike Sherman, or people like Bruce Matthews and Jim Turner who are just guys people have heard of.

It's doubtful that most people on here could even name one OL coach in the SEC without looking it up.
Exactly. So everyone needs to shut the hell up about splash hires.
cevans_40
AG
Like the hire but hate the trolls in this thread. This place is getting unbearable. Cant wait until the staff is complete and hopefully all of this can stop. Although I doubt it will.
Henry Steele
AG
Very Good hire. Live in Salt Lake. Follow The U. Major issues at QB and discord between HC and OC. Had to run the ball. Ran into 8-9 man boxes. Still effective. Booker one of the best backs in the nation. Coaches players up.

We need to take better advantage of our backs and o-line. This is major upgrade.

Would have loved to steal U o U DC - went to Oregon State. He is a stud.
PanicStream
Accusing a service academy of poor ethics. That's rich. He will fit in perfectly at A&M.
Busdriver99
AG
I like the hire. He seems to get his players to elevate their game. Has good experience. Knows what he is doing.
d78230
AG
I like it. Looks fiery and experienced.
d78230
AG
I think he's a double win. Plenty of experience as OC with spread to help spav and plenty of OL experience where we need help. I like him. Nice pickup.

I wonder how he is as a recruiter??
Catfishfoereal
quote:
Accusing a service academy of poor ethics. That's rich. He will fit in perfectly at A&M.

Umm he didnt accuse a service academy of anything troll....he accused the HC dumbarse
Escobars army
LOL at the people who are poo pooing the hire as if they are on the ground floor with coaching evaluations and hires.
technoviking
AG
quote:
LOL at the people who are poo pooing the hire as if they are on the ground floor with coaching evaluations and hires.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Very Good hire. Live in Salt Lake. Follow The U. Major issues at QB and discord between HC and OC. Had to run the ball. Ran into 8-9 man boxes. Still effective. Booker one of the best backs in the nation. Coaches players up.

a poster with sense and credibility!
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
That's actually why I appreciate this hire. We were greatly lacking in experience. This guy has it in spades. It will be obvious when they're in meetings if this guy starts to stand out as 'actually knowing what he's doing' versus just following a very limited spread playbook.

For Summy, it means he can quickly go to an alternative if Spav isn't delivering early next year. Not much different than when he replaced Babers mid-year.

Exactly. I'm excited about this hire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.