Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M scheduling other teams on Thanksgiving

31,155 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember playing t.u. at 10:00am the day after Thanksgiving? That was horrible.

Saturday would be the most preferable. Thanksgiving belongs to the NFL.
Nino Brown
Nothing better than eating all day and drinking all night with no need to get up early on Friday.
Ags06Win
AG

Dumb Thread!

Thanksgiving Games are great... We should play LSU on Thursday in Baton Rouge too!
The Collective
AG
My vote is to play the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
McInnis80
We will be playing somebody Thanksgiving weekend. SEC said no open dates the weekend beofre the SEC Championship game. Should we play Texas? Yes. Would it be better in September or November? I think November, but a good Non Conference game in September will get lots of exposure.

There are lots of big games that weekend now. Iron Bowl, Civil War, Michigan/Ohio State, Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech, Notre Dame at USC or Stanford and several I missed. For students, there is not good option. Thanksgiving Day makes the more sense.
McInnis80
On another note, the NFL is like Putin, they want to take over everything. They owned Thanksgiving Day, and now they want Thanksgiving night. Also earlier this year they had the 9:00 EST kickoff of the Lions/Falcons game in London. In the long term, they would love an early Euro game, the 2 afternoon games, and then the Sunday night game.

They would be happy to kick college football to the curb to get more TV $. Of course the NFL needs college football, but college football does not need the NFL.
Dr. Teeth
AG
There might be some benefits to it, but the problem with the Thanksgiving Day game is that if you play on Thursday, you either have to have a short week or use one of your off Saturdays right before the last game of the season instead of earlier when you might have been better to have a week off. Imagine if we had been able to move the Mississippi game to the week before Thanksgiving and play LSU on Saturday, and have an off week between MSU and Alabama. That might have worked out way better for us.

For the record, I thought playing Texas on Thursday was stupid too.
AgDotCom
quote:
T-Day is a great day for a big game and we will do very well in the ratings against the NFL.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Frok
AG
quote:
They would be happy to kick college football to the curb to get more TV $. Of course the NFL needs college football, but college football does not need the NFL.
Nice try. What if the NFL said you no longer needed to be 3 years removed from high school to enter the draft? The NFL is king in this country.
shotcaller1
AG
There are only a couple of better scenarios I can think of for a last home game as a student. It's going to be a great time.

Not to mention, most of my non-TAMU friends attend or graduated from LSU.
cc10106
Why does everyone want A&M to play the horns the last weekend of the season? Because UF and FSU play then? If they come crawling back, I'd rather see it played earlier in October.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

Of course the NFL needs college football, but college football does not need the NFL.
Except that most of the kids playing college football are there only for a shot at the NFL. They aren't there for an education, they are there for the $$$.
130Ag82
AG
Too much Jelly....thumbs down OP
agmag90
The Pilgrims fought for the Ags to play on T-Day. OP is a communist.
hardtimes
quote:
There might be some benefits to it, but the problem with the Thanksgiving Day game is that if you play on Thursday, you either have to have a short week or use one of your off Saturdays right before the last game of the season instead of earlier when you might have been better to have a week off. Imagine if we had been able to move the Mississippi game to the week before Thanksgiving and play LSU on Saturday, and have an off week between MSU and Alabama. That might have worked out way better for us.

For the record, I thought playing Texas on Thursday was stupid too.
What do you mean "one of your off Saturdays?" In most even-numbered years there is only one open date in a 12-game season. The only even numbered years with two open dates we have in the next 30 years are '24, '30, '36 and '42. All the other even-numbered years we get to either play LSU on a short week or play 11 consecutive games in the first 11 weeks.

Can anybody clamoring for a T-day game explain why this is a good thing for Aggie football? It gives our game media competition against a marquee NFL game and a clear scheduling disadvantage. What more do you want??
hardtimes
quote:
There are lots of big games that weekend now. Iron Bowl, Civil War, Michigan/Ohio State, Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech, Notre Dame at USC or Stanford and several I missed. For students, there is not good option. Thanksgiving Day makes the more sense.
And every last one of those games are played on Saturday.
Hamburger Dan
Wouldn't it be great if there was a forum on TexAgs for whining, nostalgic, posters *****ing about not playing certain teams anymore.

Of yeah, it's called Rivalries. I thought this one of the many reasons that aTm joined the SEC - to further the brand,make more money, be a part of the best college football in America.
FrontPorchAg
When was the last time we forced anything on LSU. The SEC loves this game because the national ratings are through the roof. Their will become a point when this is one of the countries marquee games.
hardtimes
The reason we can say A&M has forced LSU to a Thanksgiving night game is that apparently the SEC and its TV partners have given the host schools the option to play this game on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. A&M inexplicably chose Thursday for games in College Station -- LSU has chosen to play its home games on Saturday. If LSU had any say at all, this game would be played on Saturday.
SEC4me
I don't really like the thanksgiving games now the nfl has taken over that day now.
BobDavidson
quote:
I'm confident LSU will come on board with T-day. I think they'll like ending tday with the game then having the rest of the holiday weekend to themselves.
Nope that won't happen. LSU fans are despising the idea of a Thanksgiving Day game. You think the LSU fans are upset with their AD right now, just wait for the explosion in Baton Rouge if next year's game is changed to Thanksgiving. It will make Katrina, Rita, and the BP explosion look like child's play.

Now if the game is on Friday, that is more acceptable to all in the state of Louisiana.
Ags06Win
AG
Your DUMB!

Thank God for Aggie Football on thanksgiving!
Token
AG
Playing on Thanksgiving blows. I graduated in 2010 and went to all of the Texas games from 2005-2011 and the LSU game last year. I really like having the day to spend with the family. It sucks we can't move the game to Saturday after Thanksgiving
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Tday games with family.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Playing on Thanksgiving blows. I graduated in 2010 and went to all of the Texas games from 2005-2011 and the LSU game last year. I really like having the day to spend with the family. It sucks we can't move the game to Saturday after Thanksgiving
F'in new Army hates tradition.
JJxvi
AG
I graduated in 2003 and we played on Friday
Mateo84
AG
I want to play the sips in the regular season, and I want to play them on Thanksgiving Day. If that can't happen because of all you crybabies that are scared to play them, then I am totally fine with playing the corndogs on Thanksgiving instead.
texag84
AG
Thanksgiving Ag football game is good for America, great time to tailgate with family and friends, enjoy the day and Aggieland for one last time each season. After the game - it's a great uninterupted 3 day holiday to sit back and watch the other games, hunt, etc.
BMX Bandit
People are aware you can celebrate thanksgiving with family on the Friday or Saturday, aren't they?

I'd prefer we played LSU on Saturday. My family getting together Friday. It's really not that hard.
Sq 17
Would u want to play L$U at 11 am on Saturday?
Because if The Ags play on Saturday it is likely a TBA kickoff
I doubt The Ags would get to reserve a particular time slot before the season starts which
The ags do get to do when they play on Tday
When the Ags played on T+1 the kickoff was TBA Nebraska V CU & A&M v tu was the ABC double header with the lesser game being an 11am kick
stantxag
AG
With the "Selection Committee" and subjective seeding, add in all the "Big" games on Saturday, Thanksgiving day becomes last week's news. We could be close to the top four and miss out because Ohio State catches a pass as the last thing the voters see. Very few score update cut ins include what happened two days earlier.
MooreTrucker
AG
Might be that way for the old polls, but not for the Selection Committee.
stantxag
AG
I hope you're right MT!
permabull
AG
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
I hate thanksgiving and like that I have an exuse to bail on it
How can you hate Thanksgiving?!? Some of the best food, and all day football!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.