Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M scheduling other teams on Thanksgiving

30,977 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
Born Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People will ***** about anything.

texasaggie84
AG
We should never play tu again. To hell with them. LSU on Thanksgiving has much broader appeal and we do not need tu...they may indeed need us but it is time for them to be forever in our rear view mirror.
hardtimes
The reason I would rather play LSU on Saturday, not Thanksgiving, is because in most years, having the game on Thursday means A&M plays 11 games in 11 weeks (with the open date coming the week before the LSU game). We will be in the position of playing tough SEC games earlier in November with no weeks off. I think this is a disadvantage.
Nino Brown
What? Maybe A&M considers Tday an A&M tradition now and wants that to coincide with it's biggest rival.
aeon-ag
Take it off T-day, schedule it for that Saturday. For those of us that live here give us a peaceful Thanksgiving without filling this town with an addition 100,000 people, people parking in front of our houses, people blocking driveways, causing traffic jams, etc. Give us at least on day of peace without this mess.
FtWorthAG95
AG
Isn't Petulant to big of a word to be slinging around on the Zoo?
JJxvi
AG
Playing on Thanksgiving is dumb. It was dumb when Texas scheduled an always home reject version (and was ridiculed for it here), and it's dumb when we take a game that would be compelling no matter what and try to shoehorn it in, for some stupid attempt to one up Texas.
awesome sauce
AG
Thanksgiving night may have been good exposure when Cowboys and Lions were the only NFL games and we were the only night game. Not so much anymore. Things change. NFL triple header trumps everything else. This year Seahawks-49ers on NBC will be top draw. I see no compelling reason to force the game to Thursday night.

I'll watch it then or I'll watch it Friday or I'll watch it Saturday. No biggie which ever way it goes. I'd rank Sat-#1, Thu-#2, & Fri-#3.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I agree with the OP. Thanksgiving is for tu. LSU has no interest in playing on Thankagiving. That is why in years they are the home team tbis game will be played on Saturday. We should play them on Saturday when we are home as well.

tu forcing their game on TCU and Tech is childish. They will tire of it.

Thanksgiving is for the tu game, and since we aren't playthig them let's let it go.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Why not?

This game does wonders to remind sips who Texans want to watch after eating their turkey and it isn't them.
Geriatric Punk
AG
The texas game will be back soon. Thankfully. Not playing texas is just plain dumb.
twk
AG
quote:
Take it off T-day, schedule it for that Saturday. For those of us that live here give us a peaceful Thanksgiving without filling this town with an addition 100,000 people, people parking in front of our houses, people blocking driveways, causing traffic jams, etc. Give us at least on day of peace without this mess.
We tried to give you an entire season off, but the local greed won out. That kind of attitude is reason enough to play on Thanksgiving for me.
Fitch
AG
Not a fan of the Thursday game. Would prefer to be with family from out of the country for a few continuous days beforehand, then go down for the game Saturday.
twk
AG
quote:
That day was for the Lone Star Showdown, and no other college game in this state will come close. Seems silly that both A&M and texas are insisting on forcing that date on other teams. The rivalry is dead, let's start a new tradition of playing LSU that weekend, but no need to try and make up for something that we can't admit we actually loved regarding the old rival. LSU obviously would prefer the other date which is why they won't schedule tday in Baton Rouge.

Didn't we actually agree to move the Arky game back to Dallas with the understanding that arky would give up LSU thanksgiving weekend? Terrible move in that regard as well.
First, I'll answer your second question: no. A&M and LSU are playing the final weekend due to simple logistics. Because of the commitments of the other SEC schools on that weekend, it basically comes down to A&M, LSU, Arkansas, and Missouri having some flexibility for that final weekend. Since Missouri is an Eastern division school, the only way to ensure that Missouri (and one other West school) doesn't end up with an open date on the final weekend of the season (something the SEC is not going to do), whoever played Missouri as their western division permanent rival had to play them that final weekend. Once Arkansas was paired with Missouri, that dictated that Arkansas and Missouri play that final weekend, leaving LSU free to play A&M.

As to your other complaints, Thanksgiving weekend is a tough time to schedule, particularly when your attendance relies so heavily upon students showing up to fill the stands. As we found out when we played the sips on Fridays, it was tough to get a lot of students to come back on campus for a Friday game if they go home for Thanksgiving. Same would be true on a Saturday (though Saturday might be marginally better). Thursday means the students only need stick around an extra day, and can still have a 3 day weekend with the family. Frankly, now that the NFL is playing a night game in addition to the day game, I would like to see our Thanksgiving game played in the daytime--to make it even easier for students and fans to salvage more of their Thanksgiving holiday.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I prefer the Friday/T+1 game schedule.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
For those of us that live here give us a peaceful Thanksgiving without filling this town...

Grew up in College Station. We managed to have an amazing unbroken streak of peaceful Thanksgivings despite a football game being played across town. What exactly are you doing on Thanksgiving where you're driving up and down Wellborn and Texas Avenue all day?
William_C_G
AG
I also grew up in CS and the game did not disrupt our T-giving. In fact, the game made the day extra-special.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
twk said the absolute truth in why we play who we do that weekend. Since Kansas left Missouri in the same quandary as us, we needed to make this work for the four of us.

I suspect that when/if the tu game ever returns the Missouri/Kansas game will also mysteriously return at the same time. This would put Arky/LSU back on Thanksgiving weekend.
Beached Whale
People who don't want to see the State of TX's two flagship schools play each other at the end of the season are just butt hurt and short-sighted.

Give it a few years and it will happen again. Many more will welcome it than texags would have one believe.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
We are one of two teams that play that day every year....even people that don't watch football will be forced to see us on the t.v that day ......dumbazz

The lions play that day against someone
The Cowboys play someone
Then there's an NFL night game as well

Can easily avoid our game and still watch football.
wesag
AG
Thanksgiving has my vote.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
People who don't want to see the State of TX's two flagship schools play each other at the end of the season are just butt hurt and short-sighted.

Give it a few years and it will happen again. Many more will welcome it than texags would have one believe.

The game with texas has never been much on the field. When's the last time it had mnc implications? Never.

When's the last time the winner of that game determined a conference championship?

I grew up in Chicago and while I watched it due to my grandfather going to A&M I don't know a single person that thought damn, it's thanksgiving...........gotta watch A&M vs texas.
wesag
AG
quote:

We're moving further from that, not closer.
htownag2006
tu game will be back. There are too many egos at stake right now. After a few years, administrations will turn over and the series will be back. I miss the awkward game watching with tu inlaws
AgDotCom
It's stupid to play games on Thanksgiving. Back in the day it was good since we were the only college game scheduled. But not any more.

There are two college games and three NFL games this Thanksgiving. Seattle vs. San Francisco is in the same time slot as A&M v. LSU and TCU v. Texas. If you think the Seahawks / 49ers game won't blot out the sun on the rest of us, think again.

Black Friday will be worse, nobody watches those games.

I'll miss attending the LSU game because of family commitments. So will about another dozen folks I know. It's ****ing stupid.
MD20/20
AG
I don't know how many times we have played tu on thanksgiving, but I had a great time at a bunch of them. Turkey and dressing with mixed drinks at Duddley's watching the cowboys then walking over to the game. Beating LSU won't be as fun but the losses won't sting as much either. If you want to spend the day with family, bring 'em.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
It's stupid to play games on Thanksgiving. Back in the day it was good since we were the only college game scheduled. But not any more.

There are two college games and three NFL games this Thanksgiving. Seattle vs. San Francisco is in the same time slot as A&M v. LSU and TCU v. Texas. If you think the Seahawks / 49ers game won't blot out the sun on the rest of us, think again.

Black Friday will be worse, nobody watches those games.

I'll miss attending the LSU game because of family commitments. So will about another dozen folks I know. It's ****ing stupid.

Your priorities are misplaced. I'd ***** more about that.
Billy Liuccis Facial Hair
AG
Florida and Florida State play, usc and ucla play,

We should be playing the sips and those that are saying we shouldn't sound scared to play them. Man up and play em
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
those that are saying we shouldn't sound scared to play them.

Only a sip would say something this f***ing stupid.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
quote:
Florida and Florida State play, usc and ucla play,

We should be playing the sips and those that are saying we shouldn't sound scared to play them. Man up and play em

In addition, UGA and GT play. USCe and Clemson play. UK and Louisville play. Iowa and Iowa State play.

All these are in state OOC rivalries. We will play tu whenever they are done pouting. Give it 10 years or so. It will be back.
AgCPA
AG
I would agree. I can only imagine what a pain it is for the university and all the staff that give up a family holiday and just as bad for those with season tickets that will have to watch one of the paid for games with family on TV rather than being at the game which they could if it were on the weekend. But, you wont get much sympathy from those that allow football to rule all. They wont care about any of that.
Sq 17
please not this again

I know I am feeding the troll
No clearly superior time to play this game All timeslots have drawbacks

I will conclude with
Do not feed the Troll
PCC_80
AG
sips decided to discontinue the game to punish us which is why we are not playing them. I really do not feel punished so screw them. LSU is a great substitution and will be a good game going forward. T-Day is a great day for a big game and we will do very well in the ratings against the NFL. If you want to do the family thing stay home and record the game if you have to. I do not have much family and am looking forward to a T-Day Tailgate with my class buds.
SEC-Ag
AG
Thursday or Saturday please. Friday sucked.
Sq 17
The problem with Saturday is
Saturday morning would be even worse than Friday
If the Ags agree to play on Saturday we might pull the 11a m slot

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.