Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who here doesn't like playing at Jerryworld?

18,119 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sq 17
Craigy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would like to point out the The Death Star is located in Arlington not Dallas. It's the big ride of Six Flags now. Just use your Six Flags tickets to get in to the game.
TXRed75
AG
I like it.

I've been to every Arky game there, once when I lived in Corpus and twice since I've moved to Fort Worth. Also been to both Cotton Bowls and will be there this weekend. I've only seen the Ags play there as I am not a Cowboys fan.

Stadium is nice, tailgating great. Not really a CFB atmosphere but I've enjoyed every game there.
AnalogyAg
quote:
Well, I wont suppose you were a Dallas Cowboys fan. Regardless, for the D/FW market, the Cowboys are the pinnacle of the media (news, sports, ads, or otherwise).

While you and I see an over-indulgent stadium, some kids grow up thinking its Mecca. This stadium came alive when these kids were in middle school, it holds an even more uniqueness you might have for old Texas Stadium or even the Cotton Bowl.

While you grew up with, presumably, a middle class upbringing, the same cant be said with kids born inside loops. They come from a very sheltered world view. The ex teaches these kids, they make it to 8th grade never seeing stars in the sky, some dont understand how seeds become plants. They live in these urban communities and have little-to-no perspective. Those that become athletes become fond of sports around 7th grade. (Pop Warner, tee ball, boy scouts, etc arent typically an option for these kids.) If they are previously interested in sports they get that from their families and friends who are statistically Cowboys fans.

All Im saying is that Jerryworld (despite the .500 record over the last decade) is a draw to the locals.

People on this thread call it a lie. I disagree. One part of recruiting that we arent discussing are the parents who want to watch their kids play. Some recruits we bring momma to CS for home games as part of the deal for her baby to play for us. Some we just make sure they have tickets. Some dont want to have to travel 6 hours roundtrip nine times a year to a city they cant point to on a map. (As I previously mentioned, some of these kids are so sheltered they havent seen stars, I dont imagine their parents travel so much.) Now we are asking them to come to CS? It is an easier sell saying "we can arrange to bring you to Arlington, to that stadium of your favorite NFL team, its a state of the art facility, we can provide you a tour and a suite, have you ever been in a suite? We got unlimited food and drinks and you can see your baby on a 80 yard screen." Parents eat that crap up, especially when they dont come from too much themselves.

The things that are valued are pride and the perception of "making it big." Some of these kids actually want to play for the boys. And this is the stadium would be where that dream comes true.

Thanks for that perspective, Debt. You make some interesting points, and certainly ones worth reflecting on.
Towns03
AG
cowboy stadium represents everything that is wrong with modern stadiums:

1) game is inside
2) artificial playing surface
3) too many commercial adds
4) outrageously priced food
5) jumbo screen spirit killer
6) overpriced tickets thanks to overpriced stadium
Brick Tamland
Top of Kyle for a conference game - $90
Top of AT&T Stadium - $85

Overpriced concessions? Yes.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
cowboy stadium represents everything that is wrong with modern stadiums:

1) game is inside

You'd rather spectate in the elements? Eff that noise

2) artificial playing surface

Makes the game faster. Not seeing the problem, especially given the offense we currently field

3) too many commercial adds

Nobody is forcing you to watch the commercials. And let's not act like ads aren't ubiquitous at collegiate stadiums, too

4) outrageously priced food

ALL stadium food is overpriced. Fill up on tailgate food before you go in like most people do

5) jumbo screen spirit killer

So keep your eyes on the field. Only thing that can kill spirit is you

6) overpriced tickets thanks to overpriced stadium

Supply and demand
sharpdressedman
quote:
Totally overpriced from tix to parking to concessions to everything. Why line that Razorback's pocketbook?
+1
Busdriver99
AG
It doesn't feel like college football atmosphere. I prefer home and home
dave94
AG
quote:
I hope that our side of the field is empty. I figure that the only way that Jerry ever lets us out of that contract is if he starts losing money on the deal.

Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read in years. You want our top ten ranked team to have no fans there to cheer them on? Yeah, cuz that would be good.

quote:
If that's the case, let's do a game in Houston, for those Houston recruits.

Lol, next year. Enjoy the short drive, Houstonians!
eeAg91
Jerry's World reminds me being in the Galleria Mall, but instead of an ice rink it has a football field.
Sid Farkas
AG
I went to cotton bowl 2012 and had a great time at Jerry World. I like going to games there.

But I'd rather have a home game every other year.
boboguitar
AG
Only reason I like it is because it's close to home. Very rarely do I get the chance to go to CS during football season because of work.
Ogre09
AG
Booooo
rjamizon
Jerryworld sucks.
Brick Tamland
quote:
Only reason I like it is because it's close to home. Very rarely do I get the chance to go to CS during football season because of work.

Same for me. I've been to College Station maybe once in the last two seasons since I moved to the Dallas area.
monarch
S
We have the best game day experience in college football and we play a conference game at an NFL stadium.

Depending on where you sit, you are better off watching that stupid overgrown TV screen in the middle of the field then looking at the field itself.

The DeathStar is an NFL stadium with NFL pricies providing an NFL experience. I dont want that.

and yet, I have been to every game we have played in Arlington.

F!
ZEEB
AG
quote:
quote:

Same for me. I've been to College Station maybe once in the last two seasons since I moved to the Dallas area.

Sounds like a personal problem
Even malls and hotels have more soul. Jerryworld reminds me of a newly renovated airport.
Gilligan
AG
recruiting is a plus, but it's one game.

it hurts the local businesses in both locations as they miss out on a home game every other year and only the school makes money.

tickets and parking are too expensive.

bad bull
dave94
AG
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/kevin-sherrington/20140923-sherrington-return-of-southwest-classic-more-about-sec-recruiting-in-north-texas-than-renewing-old-rivalry.ece
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
No to jerryworld
Signel
AG
DFW

Jerryworld thumbs down.
NattyOrBust
AG
Sucks. Should only have an occasional neutral site game against a non-conference opponent. Never a team you play every year in division.
fooz
I live in DFW and I hate Jerry World. Would rather have home and home.
Honky Tonk Hero
AG
Lose a home game every other year
SECTAMU#1
I do not like playing conference games there. For bowl games, it is fine.
The Debt
You guys are forgetting one important factor: TV markets.

With our addition we have given the SEC Houston. Austin, San Antonio, D/FW are markets which we are highly competitive in. And by sheer volume of population the crown jewel is north Texas. The SEC wants as much exposure in that market as possible. By making the TAMU/Arkansas brand bigger in D/FW they get more people watching SEC games and the SECN on a regular basis than BDF games.

Another thing to consider: the metroplex has very few CFB games in the fall worth attending. The TCU games in the high school stadium is cute, but its no where near the level of the RRS or TAMU/Ark. And then there is the pathetic BU/TT bowl. Any high profile game in that city will be great for our individual brand as well as our conference. And unlike tu, we arent having our most important game at a neutral site, we still play half of LSU/Bama/Aub/SC at home every year.
1aggie02
AG
Jerry world
1aggie02
AG
quote:
Jerry world

Worst venue in all of sports.
BMX Bandit
Not even top 5 worst venue we've played in in last decade
12thmanfootball
AG
Juck Ferry.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
Jerry world

Worst venue in all of sports.
Quoting yourself within the same minute? And with such insight.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Not even top 5 worst venue we've played in in last decade

Depends upon one's definition of "worst".
TXAGFAN
AG
College games with very few exceptions (bowl games, conference championships, and HISTORIC annual games) should be played on college campuses.
The Debt
Whats funny is that you people dont acknowledge the benefit of having the RRS in DFW for OU or tu.

The exposure that game got over the last decade was exacerbated by the location (DFW) and the fact that it was a neutral site.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.